Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Please explain all of your tattoos here
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:57 pm 

I'll go first. The first three I'll give you in the order I got them, but after that I'm not entirely sure of the order.

1st- rasta tie dye peace sign on upper left arm. My g/f at the time talked me into getting my first tattoo, and she got a matching peace sign on her foot. I'm still all about peace and love this tattoo.

2nd- same size/shape on upper right arm, a tattoo that sez 7/23/03 forever clean forever grateful wharf rat. A Wharf Rat is a sober deadhead. I was really big into jam bands year ago, when I had my own business selling and making hippie merchandise. Because of my depression I got back into weed and alcohol, and now the piece doesn't really mean anything. Not regretting it, it was a time in my life when I thought I had everything figured out.

3rd- Jerry Garcia's face in tye dye flanked by two matching dancing bears on my upper back. Again, not really into the dead anymore, but I still respect jerry's beliefs and way of life. Proud to honor him.

4th- The largest tower of the Eagle Nebula on the left side of my chest. I heart science, and love outer space imagery, and the possibility of necessitated space exploration still makes Into The Void my favorite song of ever, some 14 years after having first heard it.

5th- matching bands of words below my peace sign and wharf rat tattoo. The left arm reads: There is no truth in weltscmerz. With the right arm saying: There are no lies in atheism. I like statements like that, that cover the black and the white. Weltscmerz is defined as the feeling one gets when comparing the state of the world vs. a utopian state. Weltschmerz was my type of depression before Lithium introducd itself to me, and I know firsthand that there is no truth in it. Much easier to take issue with the "there are no lies in atheism" statement, but it's something I feel and believe deeply.

6th- High On Fire logo in a scar on my left forearm. Self-explanatory.

7th- A heart/peace sign combination logo on my middle finger left hand. It's a best friend tattoo, my bestie got it on her ankle the same time I did. I chose to get it on my middle finger as if to say "fuck you, I already have a best friend" half jokingly.

8th- Back side of right hand I have an odd mix of things: A crashing/flaming helicopter, a pair of pink sunglasses, two wolf heads, and a blood red moon. I thought up this tattoo when I learned that Sarah Palin was killing wolves in Alaska from helicopters, flying after them until they couldn't run anymore, then shooting them on sight with high-range rifles, and also gassing dens of cubs. As I've always felt that i've had a wolf in me as my spirit animal, her actions angered me greatly. I had to honor the dying wolves who were just trying to live before she came along.

9th- Zig Zag, Smoky and Puff. My three rabbits, just their heads, about life size, on my inner right forearm. I love these rabbits to no end, more than most people in fact, and I wanted to see them everyday.

10th- Last one so far. There's the mind/body separation belief in psychology, but there are many different tpes of minds. So with two slashes indicating end and begin before the words on the back of my neck, Body and Misanthropy.

So it reads as follows: (/ meaning end and \ meaning begin) I think I have that right.

\Misanthropy
/Body

I did actually see a picture of someone who got the same tattoo, but theirs just read mind and body. I thought to myself, yeah, there's only one body, but there's 1,000's of different minds. Mine just happens to be misanthropic. Actually had the joy of explaining that one to a grocery store helper kid, who laughed at my answer, with fear and lost innocence in his laugh. It was awesome.

Post subject: Re: Please explain all of your tattoos here
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 pm 

never yet put ink to myself, although there is one design my wife drew a couple of years ago that I keep toying with getting done

that and a green man, the leafy face that's in a million places
he's pretty archetypal, the male principle, generative and destructive, overwhelming power of nature, all that good stuff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

I, too, am tattoo-less.

But here are some of my considerations:
1. A film strip going along the left side of my ribs. To remind me to never go hungry again.
2. A penny-farthing bicycle from the Prisoner. I haven't made up my mind if I should put a number on there or even where I want to put it. Be seeing you.
3. The cross from Neurosis' Sovereign on the mid of my back, perhaps a lyric from the opening track: I am my will, I go on and on.

You may now mock accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:01 pm 

Just one: a tattoo of my penis ON my penis.

No explanation necessary, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm 

RacerX wrote:
Just one: a tattoo of my penis ON my penis.

No explanation necessary, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 pm 

My first tattoo was the queen of hearts, got it when I first spoke with someone that was a big part of my life.

Then I got the sugar skull in the back a year after, always loved sugar skulls and the girlfriend of the guy that did my queen of hearts was just starting to make tattoos, this was her third one.

When I went home to visit in June, I got the cherry blossoms by the same friend that did the queen of hearts. For me they're like a transition... heh!

My next one will be a PMA (Bad Brains reference) on my right wrist!

Last edited by Soundgardenia on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm 

explain them how? hell on a hand cart, i don't even know what most of them are or what they were supposed to mean. just was young and dumb. that's the explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 am 

SabbathJeff wrote:
I'll go first. The first three I'll give you in the order I got them, but after that I'm not entirely sure of the order.

1st- rasta tie dye peace sign on upper left arm. My g/f at the time talked me into getting my first tattoo, and she got a matching peace sign on her foot. I'm still all about peace and love this tattoo.

2nd- same size/shape on upper right arm, a tattoo that sez 7/23/03 forever clean forever grateful wharf rat. A Wharf Rat is a sober deadhead. I was really big into jam bands year ago, when I had my own business selling and making hippie merchandise. Because of my depression I got back into weed and alcohol, and now the piece doesn't really mean anything. Not regretting it, it was a time in my life when I thought I had everything figured out.

3rd- Jerry Garcia's face in tye dye flanked by two matching dancing bears on my upper back. Again, not really into the dead anymore, but I still respect jerry's beliefs and way of life. Proud to honor him.

4th- The largest tower of the Eagle Nebula on the left side of my chest. I heart science, and love outer space imagery, and the possibility of necessitated space exploration still makes Into The Void my favorite song of ever, some 14 years after having first heard it.

5th- matching bands of words below my peace sign and wharf rat tattoo. The left arm reads: There is no truth in weltscmerz. With the right arm saying: There are no lies in atheism. I like statements like that, that cover the black and the white. Weltscmerz is defined as the feeling one gets when comparing the state of the world vs. a utopian state. Weltschmerz was my type of depression before Lithium introducd itself to me, and I know firsthand that there is no truth in it. Much easier to take issue with the "there are no lies in atheism" statement, but it's something I feel and believe deeply.

6th- High On Fire logo in a scar on my left forearm. Self-explanatory.

7th- A heart/peace sign combination logo on my middle finger left hand. It's a best friend tattoo, my bestie got it on her ankle the same time I did. I chose to get it on my middle finger as if to say "fuck you, I already have a best friend" half jokingly.

8th- Back side of right hand I have an odd mix of things: A crashing/flaming helicopter, a pair of pink sunglasses, two wolf heads, and a blood red moon. I thought up this tattoo when I learned that Sarah Palin was killing wolves in Alaska from helicopters, flying after them until they couldn't run anymore, then shooting them on sight with high-range rifles, and also gassing dens of cubs. As I've always felt that i've had a wolf in me as my spirit animal, her actions angered me greatly. I had to honor the dying wolves who were just trying to live before she came along.

9th- Zig Zag, Smoky and Puff. My three rabbits, just their heads, about life size, on my inner right forearm. I love these rabbits to no end, more than most people in fact, and I wanted to see them everyday.

10th- Last one so far. There's the mind/body separation belief in psychology, but there are many different tpes of minds. So with two slashes indicating end and begin before the words on the back of my neck, Body and Misanthropy.

So it reads as follows: (/ meaning end and \ meaning begin) I think I have that right.

\Misanthropy
/Body

I did actually see a picture of someone who got the same tattoo, but theirs just read mind and body. I thought to myself, yeah, there's only one body, but there's 1,000's of different minds. Mine just happens to be misanthropic. Actually had the joy of explaining that one to a grocery store helper kid, who laughed at my answer, with fear and lost innocence in his laugh. It was awesome.

How about some photos of your tattoos?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am 

a lot of my friends in college got stupid looking tattoos, like grateful dead bears and leprechauns smoking blunts. seeing stuff like that pretty much eradicated any desire to get body art

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm 

i dont have any, but if i did:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm 

I have three tattoos. The first one was done in 2009 by a friend of mine who had recently gotten into tattooing. I think mine was the third or fourth he did or something. Anyway, it's the Black Sabbath Henry-logo on the inside of my right forearm.
My second was done in 2010 by my uncle who is a really accomplished tattoo-artist. This one is on my left forearm, on the outside so to speak. It's a mastodon-skull with red eyes and a pentagram on it's forehead. When I got it I thought it was just a bad-ass tattoo, but then I saw some obscure Mastodon t-shirt with basically the same design. It doesn't bother me thought, since I love Mastodon anyways.
And my third, and as of yet final, tattoo was done last year (2011, see a pattern forming). That one I did in a studio in the neighbouring town of my hometown. It's a girl who's recently started her own tattoo studio so I thought I'd check it out and get a little sumthin-sumthin. So I got the Watchmen smiley-logo on the outside of my right forearm. It's the one from the graphic novel, not the film. Just a fun thing to do, and Watchmen is one of my favourite books ever.
I got some ideas of what the next one will be, but they'll have to wait a bit (the money, always the money).

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm 

Hey whoshotthefrog, I'll see if I can get pictures taken tonight with some help. Then I'll upload them, transfer them to my photobucket album, and post 'em here for your viewing pleasure. :) I was hoping my explanations were good enough to get an idea of what they looked like, but I suppose pictures would really be better. Especially the Eagle Nebula on my chest, that sumbitch took 4 hours and hurt like a bastard after awhile. But it looks awesome.

AWESOME tattoos everyone has Yoda sez. And explanations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 pm 

And there you have 'em! Ok, not sure what to do with the non-loading wharf rat tattoo, but if you go to photobiucket and type in search for sabbathjeff you can view my album. (the newest pics, the pics of my tats, should be 1st). It loaded there (the wharf rat tattoo)

And sorry about the blurriness in a few of 'em, we're not pro. photogs over here. Rest assured the ink itself is actually clear in person, just ask :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 am 

SabbathJeff,...LOL....man, those are some of the worst tattoos I've ever seen. :D What the hell is the first one?!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am 

Harsh tones brother...

That's the Eagle Nebula, it's somewhere out there in outer space.

Didn't your bitch momma ever teach you that if you didn't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am 

By that logic this is where the thread ends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm 

This is "my guy" he is in San Francisco.
http://www.biomechtattoo.com/gallery/index.html

in the images I am on the 3rd page. images 7 & 8.
There is no explanation as they have no meaning.

one day when he and I were blasting the Neurosis (he loves Neurosis) and drawing blood he said that the problem with these TV shows is that now all these little girls come in and want to tell him what their tattoo "means."

I have some work on my lower arm that is over thirty years old. Yes, I have tattoos old enough to drink. FTW.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:51 pm 

SabbathJeff wrote:
Harsh tones brother...

-snip-

Didn't your bitch momma ever teach you that if you didn't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all?!

pot, meet kettle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:10 pm 

Those are awesome half sleeves ACE. I love those biomechanical tattoos...

Mr. Neutron I was being a sarcastic kettle, whereas he was being a serious pot. If that changes anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm 

Jeff I love that you have your rabbits inked on you! thats so cute ;) I have two rabbits and have had many all my life they are awesome creatures, my two are causing chaos around the flat as i type :x I have always wanted the Black Rabbit of Inlé to represent all my loved ones passed, I cant find an artist whos work I truly love and trust, I did find a guy once at a convention but hes in Germany so maybe one day, I have a list of about 9, im really looking forward to the day, but im not in a hurry the time will come when its right...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 pm 

doomborn wrote:
SabbathJeff,...LOL....man, those are some of the worst tattoos I've ever seen. :D

Only because I didn't post mine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm 

I have a horrible Sepultura 'tribal' tat on my left shoulder. It's fucking ugly. I got it in 96'. Wanna talk about regrets?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

Aw thanks Jem glad you like my bun buns tat! They're living tributes. Sooner than later by the same artist I'm going to get my deceased cat Magoo right above them, bringing up the green whispy background turning into her name below her. At least that's my idea as of now. It's hard finding the right artist, and it's even harder for me because I dont' have any tattoo artist friends who I'm like "hey I'm yours for life" as a lover of art I enjoy supporting the arts, tattoos included, so I go to all different artists. I've been tattooed in PA and NY by about 7 different artists. Some of mine aren't complicated so I can just go anywhere. But when looking to get rabbit portraits done, I just searched online for "animal porttrait tattoos nyc" and picked an artist's work I liked that came up. I saw that a dude did a lovely golden retriever, so i went with him. I'll go back to him for the cat, but then the rest of what I want I'll probably shop around again, especially since I might be moving. Might go back to the guy I got my high on fire logo from for other band logos all up and down my left forearm, but ah, the money. :)

Good luck with finding your artist!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 am 

i recommend the artist that did this:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next