Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Chris Cornell R.I.P.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm 

Feelin' Minnesota.

Post subject: Re: Chris Cornell R.I.P.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:20 pm 

:( :( :(

I'm actually shocked by this and a bit teary. Fuck not Chris Cornell!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:50 am 

I always get a little uncomfortable when a musician or celebrity dies. There is this outpouring of praise and consoling platitudes from the community. Everybody hooks their carabiner [sorry] on to the thread of the tragedy: how many likes did my Cornell death tweet get?
It seems that what is really being grieved for is the loss of his ability or talent and not the actual person (who most of us will never really know).
I never got into Soundgarden, or Audioslave. I couldn't even point to one song of Chris Cornell's that I actually liked. I don't feel this bond with him, or his music that most people feel.
When I take the time to listen to an intimate interview with him, I get it. He seems like an honest and real dude. I think that is what should be remembered and celebrated about him.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:40 am 

He was very smart and sensitive dude. Pure speculation (and it'll probably come out at some point) on part, but I think he'd still be alive if he was at home instead of being a 52 year old dude banging out shows on the road. It seems like his handlers should have known something was amiss and called the tour off for awhile, at least.

Been listening to a ton of SG ever since I picked up the 'Ultramega OK' reissue in April. Fuckin' unbelievable/tragic that he's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:45 am 

I might be ignorant to the more intimate details of his life than some of you, so maybe his death came as a greater shock to me than to others more informed. I knew he had demons and substance abuse problems in the past, but by all appearances it looked like he was out of the woods and really embracing the role of an elder statesman of rock. I guess appearances aren't always what they seem.

I never saw him live, which I regret, but he left us a lot of material both live and studio that I will always cherish and enjoy.

It's really hard for me to comprehend the world without him. Mostly because he was so active right up until the end and there weren't any obvious signs that things were going wrong.

Bowie was 69 and had done more coke and smack than just about anyone. A huge loss, but not hugely surprising.

Scott Weiland's death wasn't a surprise to anyone who knew anything about Scott Weiland.

Prince's was pretty shocking, but he didn't mean as much to me personally as Chris.

Anyways, it sucks. Hard. Sorry for rambling. RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 am 

Of all the musicians we've lost recently, this one still hurts the most. LOVE was a massif part of his process. You could just hear it implicitly.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]