Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
Latest blog post: Loading...
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 am


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 73 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:35 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
http://www.wweek.com/music/2017/03/17/hometown-concert-canceled-for-controversial-portland-band-black-pussy-amid-complaints/

AND IT'S ALL WHYTE GUYS!! IN A BAND!! WITH PHALLIC SHAPED GUITARS! PENIS DRUM STICKS !!! I NEED TO HIDE IN SAFE SPACE NOW. IT'S THE PATRIARCHY CRUSHING MEEEEE !!
(Some people really need to lighten the fuck up....)

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 2169
Location: East Bridgewater, MA
They're not the MOST misogynist ever, but yeah, sexism. That's a thing that exists when five white dudes call their band Black Pussy. To think of them as some kind of crusaders for free speech feels like a cop-out to me. Dudes just want attention and are going about getting it in a particularly shitty way. Call me snowflake. I don't give a shit.

_________________
http://theobelisk.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:28 am 

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:27 am
Posts: 798
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I'd be more interested if they were better. I saw them in 2014 and they were ok at best.

_________________
Sever the limb I can't repair.
Sever the limb you can't repair.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
h.p. taskmaster wrote:
They're not the MOST misogynist ever, but yeah, sexism. That's a thing that exists when five white dudes call their band Black Pussy. To think of them as some kind of crusaders for free speech feels like a cop-out to me. Dudes just want attention and are going about getting it in a particularly shitty way. Call me snowflake. I don't give a shit.


RIDICULOUS.
If anything its a revolt against common decency. Its in the spirit of being an iconoclast that they name themselves that. If naming a band Black Pussy (which brings to mind a cat as much as it does a vagina) is wrong, then what about the Tar Babies? They're all white and their records came out 30 fucking years ago. Were people less enlightened then... or (more likely) people are whiney wussies walking around with a victim complex.

Few things surprise me anymore, but the victimhood and grievance culture of today's kids is fucking insanity. there was a time when people prided themselves on how self sufficient they were. Now we have millions of fuckwads looking for someone else to wipe their ass and calm their delicate sensitivities.

From now on I type BLACK PUSSY in all caps. I hope people are offended by something that really exists: cats and vaginas. The latter of which can be paid tribute to with a knitted hat worn only by women and only the men they approve of. Do you have the right to say the words BLACK PUSSY? Have you paid tribute to the designated authorities on what you are allowed to say about anything gender related?

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 186
Location: Mooresville, NC
They're a pretty decent retro-style hard rock band. I liked they're last EP, the BOC cover and the title track were great listens, but didn't care too much for the previous full lengths. That being said, I think their name is marketing genius! It will surely garner all kinds of attention, positive and negative. It goes against everything I see as genuine in music (aka: Let The Music Do The Talking!") but I respect their brash nature in selecting their brand. I respect their balls (sorry, misogynist), I mean, fortitude to rebel against the vanilla, sterile, overly PC horseshit, one-race, gender-neutral idealogy that is force-fed to us, via media, on a daily basis. I have the Pam Grier T-shirt and I love it! I get compliments on it wherever I go! I happen to have a laid back sense of humor, though. I'm confident that I've never mistreated women in my 49 yrs of life...and I never will! I have a 23 yr. old daughter, 3 step daughters and a wonderful wife...and I am confident that Black Pussy poses no threat or offense to any of them! It seems like we've entered an age where it's best not to give a fuck about anybody? Philanthropy will be criticized for being linear or unevenly dispersed...it's best to be a misanthrope. Hate everyone equally. If a band of 5 black women called themselves "The Little White Wieners", would they be equally criticized? Hell no, there would be no issue. I'm all about equality in everything...but a TRUE equality...not a slanted one. We are TOO FUCKING SENSITIVE! Gotta go with Horns and Caps on this one...although...The Tar Babies? Really?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 925
Location: Bristol
Setting the politics aside it's just a pretty tragic name.
How did that seem like a cool idea for more than one gig?

And for those banging on about how it could be about cats, piss off.

_________________
...Satan is good, Satan is our pal...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
Like the idiots who complain loudly have never ever referred to people of color as "Black" or a vagina as a "Pussy." I smell bullshit virtue signalling. Did they really need to ban the band in their hometown? Just don't go to the show, FFS. And yes, i agree: Really dumbed-down band name (not a fan either).....but "Free Speech" and stuff.

The safe space snowflakes in this town need a kick in the hole. Or full-time jobs. Whatever comes first. Better still. Find a nice quiet place in Mommy's basement and never come out. Oh wait...

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 726
Location: A grave in Ireland
Terata wrote:
They're a pretty decent retro-style hard rock band. I liked they're last EP, the BOC cover and the title track were great listens, but didn't care too much for the previous full lengths. That being said, I think their name is marketing genius! It will surely garner all kinds of attention, positive and negative. It goes against everything I see as genuine in music (aka: Let The Music Do The Talking!") but I respect their brash nature in selecting their brand. I respect their balls (sorry, misogynist), I mean, fortitude to rebel against the vanilla, sterile, overly PC horseshit, one-race, gender-neutral idealogy that is force-fed to us, via media, on a daily basis. I have the Pam Grier T-shirt and I love it! I get compliments on it wherever I go! I happen to have a laid back sense of humor, though. I'm confident that I've never mistreated women in my 49 yrs of life...and I never will! I have a 23 yr. old daughter, 3 step daughters and a wonderful wife...and I am confident that Black Pussy poses no threat or offense to any of them! It seems like we've entered an age where it's best not to give a fuck about anybody? Philanthropy will be criticized for being linear or unevenly dispersed...it's best to be a misanthrope. Hate everyone equally. If a band of 5 black women called themselves "The Little White Wieners", would they be equally criticized? Hell no, there would be no issue. I'm all about equality in everything...but a TRUE equality...not a slanted one. We are TOO FUCKING SENSITIVE! Gotta go with Horns and Caps on this one...although...The Tar Babies? Really?



I'd respect their "balls" if they had a particularly good reason for naming the band that, rather than "we wanted to name it something sexy."

??? Really ??? That's your reasoning?? It's not particularly "rebellious" because it's so mindless. I'm all for free speech as well, though I think that there should be a point to pushing boundaries, and they have none. It's just more of a "let's throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" kind of approach to "rebellion" rather than anything even remotely thoughtful.


Also, let's be real here - if a band of five black women were to call themselves "The Little White Wieners", people would burn crosses on their fucking lawn. There are tons and tons of super racist white folks out there who would be up in arms.

Quote:
I'm confident that I've never mistreated women in my 49 yrs of life...and I never will! I have a 23 yr. old daughter, 3 step daughters and a wonderful wife...and I am confident that Black Pussy poses no threat or offense to any of them!



Well, also, let's be real here - I'm assuming you, your daughter, your three step daughters and wonderful wife aren't black, correct??

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 38
I am with HP, sexist and racist name. Not the biggest deal, since they are a purely bush-league (get it?!) band. They might gain some fans among the caps lock warriors who feel victimized by the expectation that women and minorities be treated with respect. I, however, will give them a pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 186
Location: Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Well, also, let's be real here - I'm assuming you, your daughter, your three step daughters and wonderful wife aren't black, correct??


Yes they are...and I'm pretty sure there are places where they wouldn't be able to walk alone because of that. Racism works in more than one direction. And I don't know where you live but I haven't heard of too many cross-burnings as of late? We got some real big crusaders here? That's cool, I get that...I couldn't be more against prejudice and sexism; but this just isn't it...
Quote:
In their OWN record companies bio of them, the band claims they picked this name because they thought it was a "sex-charged, ’70s-influenced, hide-your-daughters-because-they’re-coming-to-town rock ‘n’ roll band that sounds like Tarantino directing a Thin Lizzy video in the low desert."


It's not because it is not their intention. Are we really ok with Hip Hop artists rapping about pimpin hoes and getn all up in that ass? Or Axl Rose saying "Turn around bitch, I got a use for you." and countless other truly misogynistic lyrics? But we're gonna crucify these guys? There are still tribes in Africa where 40-50 yr. old tribal leaders impregnate 12-14 yr. old girls as soon as they come into fertility! There are tribes in the middle east where women are castrated for not bearing sons. Try being a woman and walking down the street with your face not covered in Saudi Arabia. Try even getting into Mecca? With all the shit going on in the world, we are really going to direct this much criticism to a rock band named Black Pussy? These guys, although sophomoric and possibly insensitive, are just having fun. C'mon, pick a real battle, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 726
Location: A grave in Ireland
Dude, if you think that racism works in both ways, I don't know what to say. Prejudice works both ways, yes. Racism and prejudice are two different things. Racism is a systemic oppression, so by definition it CANNOT work both ways because there is zero systemic oppression of white people in America. It just doesn't exist. Are some black people prejudiced against other races? Sure, absolutely, though that's different than racism, which has an element of systemic oppression. There is no system oppressing either you or I because of our white skin, that's just reality.

Perhaps I'm slightly more aware because working in the mental health system, it's really easy to see how poorly and unfairly people of color are treated within that system as compared to white people. Black men are 80% more likely to be restrained, secluded, receive more severe diagnosis, and be on heavier and more harmful medications because of the stigma that they're "dangerous", even though their actual access to mental health care isn't as accessible as it is to white folks. That's how racism actually works, and yes, it's indicative that I absolutely have bigger battles to pick, as these are the ones I fight every day.

Where I live, one of the most "liberal" areas in the country, mind you, I helped organize scrubbing racist and Nazi graffiti off the mountaintop where I like to hike and take dates. Some of the things written do not bear repeating, though needless so say they called for the murder of all black people, though they did not use such eloquent speech and used many many racial slurs. This was right after the election. That's what's been happening around the country lately - that's not an isolated incident. Vandalism such as that took place all over the country. If it didn't happen around you, then you're very lucky not to have had to deal with that garbage. So yes, I absolutely have bigger battles to pick.

Here's a pretty decent article focusing on the KKK and their more recent activities, including their current practice of cross burning. It's from 2015, though it's very comprehensive so it's worth a read:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3164954/Inside-KKK-Chilling-images-reveal-white-supremacists-carrying-cross-burnings-sacred-rituals-margins-society-U-S.html

If anything, the KKK has upped their activities since then, emboldened by a Trump presidency and administration that actively condones and encourages racism.


Yes, all the other things you mention are definitely problematic. Absolutely. Though that's not what we're discussing right now, so that feels like a deflection on your part, honestly. Because you feel that there are more problematic incidents in the world does not discount that this band is problematic as well. I'm not on any kind of big crusade here. I was offered a show with them last year, and turned it down based on not wanting to be associated with them in any way, shape or form. That's the limit of my "crusade" on this one.

I'm just telling you how the band name is absolutely problematic as well, and why the whole idea that they're these big heroes of free speech is totally bunk in my eyes. You know, trying to engage in respectful discussion around issues that affect us all. Doesn't your idea of free speech cover that as well??

Of course you don't find this at all troubling or offensive, you're white. You didn't have ancestors who were dehumanized and treated exactly as "black pussy" when they lived on plantations and were routinely raped and abused by their owners, who I'm sure were just trying to have "fun" also. And though you're going to encounter folks in this life who would love nothing better than for the country to return to those sad days, those same folks are never going to do such harm to you and I because we're not black. That's just how it is.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan Thomas wrote:

If anything, the KKK has upped their activities since then, emboldened by a Trump presidency and administration that actively condones and encourages racism.



No. Stop. Please stop. This is just mindless hysteria.If we can't look around and see that there is less racism in our nation right now than there has EVER been in the history of our country, then what the point of working to educate people about racism? If its just used as a wedge issue (with made up facts) to further ideologies, then we're all lost.

I hide ditch two kinds of people on Facebook: those who post about white power(none so far) and those that post about white privilege (quite a few). Because identity politics like white privilege de facto creates white power identity politics. Right on the cusp of there being a real true inclusiveness and a color blind society, the closest we've ever come, we get this white privilege shit gumming up what we all were moving towards. Retarded.

Ain't nobody leaving.

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
But okay - yes, its a regrettable nomenclature for a band. Its button pushing and it probably took less than a minute to think up, but to me, thats the thing that is offensive about it. If you can't give a shit about what you name your band, then how am I supposed to give a shit about your music?
Its like an author not caring about the title of the book he's been working on for two years(and a band should be working on their music for at least a year before releasing an album.

I don't know, is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club offensive? Is Turbo Negro offensive?
I think the word "pussy" is definitely on the table forever now that Pussy Riot has world wide fame...

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 925
Location: Bristol
Nah you can't take the pussy out of its context in their name. It does in itself have problematic politics attached, but it seems fair to argue that in 'Pussy Riot' it's fair to claim confrontational and iconoclastic meaning, whereas 'Black Pussy' are just riffing an exploitation trip.

I stand by cartoon tits artwork though, that's definitely a freedom of idea issue.

_________________
...Satan is good, Satan is our pal...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
Semantics is as sad as ad hominem. It's fucking ridiculous for the butthurts to bully a venue into cancelling a show based on a band name as corny as Black Pussy. Infantile, in fact.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 186
Location: Mooresville, NC
Dylan, I appreciate what you do...really! I understand why you are more intense in your perspective and unable to see any humor in what is (as Horns said) a button-pushing name. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I do know the difference between racism and prejudice. And I believe prejudice does work both ways. Try being a white guy and walking around certain parts of downtown Atlanta, or Chicago, or south LA. Unfortunately, there will always be idiots in all camps that make the biggest negative effect on any group of people. That is why I try to see individuals instead of groups, but I get caught up in that too from time to time. I do believe, however, that, as a nation that is still in its infancy (not even 250 yrs. old), we have made great strides of racial and cultural acceptance in the USA...there will always be more work to do. I find humor in the ridiculousness of their name. I know everyone doesn't and I respect that. I found humor in the EXTREMELY ridiculous lyrics by groups like The Mentors and GG Allen back in the 80's. I think I am able to see humor in this, not because I am ignorant, not because I've had "White Privilege" but because I'm comfortable in knowing that I don't take the shit seriously, I have always given any individual a fair shot before developing any opinion and I have NEVER mistreated women! I can't imagine what you have seen in your line of work? But I can understand why it has shaped you opinions or views in such a turbulent, passionate way. There will always be inner-city black men who have had horrible opportunities as children and turn to gangs for support. There will always be ignorant white fucks who have had similar upbringings and paint stupid NAZI shit on rocks. I think poverty is the main catalyst for this? Maybe I'm wrong; not pretending to be an expert. But I think it is diminishing, albeit, slowly.
The people who see humor in their name (or similar ridiculous shit) are not necessarily ignorant or stupid, their perspectives have just been molded differently by their own life experiences and I'm not going to apologize or feel guilty for that. I've paid (and continue to pay until the day I die) my dues. Humor, even sophomoric humor is a release...just like a cold beer on a hot summer day. I know that lines have to be drawn and it can't be at the expense of others. If I actually though these guys meant to promote racism or rape or any horrible shit like that, I wouldn't have anything to do with them! I don't personally know these guys, but I don't believe that the members of Black Pussy mean any real harm. Hell, they may even end up changing their name after this huge backlash? I'll leave it at that and bow out gracefully from this thread. Peace, Love and Rock n Roll.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:06 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 726
Location: A grave in Ireland
Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response Terata. Just a couple parting thoughts on that:

Firstly, I'm not intending to imply that anyone is necessarily ignorant, only that we all have more to learn.

Secondly, I don't find humor in the name because it's not particularly funny. In fact, I'd say that it's not funny in even the slightest, and that has nothing to do with offensiveness or poor taste. It's just not humorous.

Thirdly, one of the most important lessons I've had to learn in my life is that intention and impact are two different entities.



As far as you Horns....I'm not going to stop. Not ever. We had made significant strides moving forward in terms of inclusiveness, yes, though Trump's election is a HUGE step backwards.

His administration has a blatantly bigoted agenda, and the documented incidents of hate crimes have been on the rise since his election.

He has very clearly emboldened bigots and white supremacists, and the very fact that you can bury your head in the sand and pretend that it's "mindless hysteria" and the usage of the term "color blind society" is the very clearest illustration of white privilege that anyone could demonstrate, so thank you for proving my point!!

It's pretty simple to see a "color blind society" when you're not a person of color, and it's a clear demonstration of privilege to not have to worry about the color of your own skin and to thus assume that people of color don't either.


I'll stop when all forms of systemic oppression have been dismantled, though I sincerely doubt that I'm going to see anything even close to that in my lifetime.


You can go right ahead and unfriend me on Facebook or whatever if that's what floats your boat. I can assure you that I'll take no offense whatsoever ;-)

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
5 African American women form a band called White Cock. Who would be offended now?!?

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan Thomas wrote:
Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response Terata. Just a couple parting thoughts on that:

Firstly, I'm not intending to imply that anyone is necessarily ignorant, only that we all have more to learn.

Secondly, I don't find humor in the name because it's not particularly funny. In fact, I'd say that it's not funny in even the slightest, and that has nothing to do with offensiveness or poor taste. It's just not humorous.

Thirdly, one of the most important lessons I've had to learn in my life is that intention and impact are two different entities.



As far as you Horns....I'm not going to stop. Not ever. We had made significant strides moving forward in terms of inclusiveness, yes, though Trump's election is a HUGE step backwards.

His administration has a blatantly bigoted agenda, and the documented incidents of hate crimes have been on the rise since his election.

He has very clearly emboldened bigots and white supremacists, and the very fact that you can bury your head in the sand and pretend that it's "mindless hysteria" and the usage of the term "color blind society" is the very clearest illustration of white privilege that anyone could demonstrate, so thank you for proving my point!!

It's pretty simple to see a "color blind society" when you're not a person of color, and it's a clear demonstration of privilege to not have to worry about the color of your own skin and to thus assume that people of color don't either.


I'll stop when all forms of systemic oppression have been dismantled, though I sincerely doubt that I'm going to see anything even close to that in my lifetime.


You can go right ahead and unfriend me on Facebook or whatever if that's what floats your boat. I can assure you that I'll take no offense whatsoever ;-)



So your solution is: silencing those you think are offensive.

Play that through for me.

You silence those you deem to be stupid and intolerant- and lets say for the sake of argument they ARE stupid offensive and intolerant. You silence them. You don't engage them. You don't prove to them how they are wrong, or more importantly, expose them as being wrongheaded and ignorant. you simply silence them. Is the next thing that happens is that these people with views you differ with just dissolve away like Mcfly's family in the polaroid picture in "Back To The Future"? I'm here to tell you that won't happen. When you eliminate discourse you give them fuel to fester. You give them the cause they need to add anger to their idiocy, and anger added to ignorance causes crimes in the name of those things you hate - which is what you wanted to stop in the first place. You want buildings burned down? You want hate crimes? Take the easy road and silence everyone you disagree with. Shut them down and then act surprised when what you don't like comes back with the worst intentions.
OR... give them their voice and make your argument. Make your argument and invest in the discourse that enlightens those who might think the ignorant are smart. Thats the way it has always worked. Thats why freedom of speech is MOST crucial when it is speech you don't agree with.

But hey! Its easy to just shut them down. Its also easy to go drink a bottle of booze at the bar instead of going to work.....

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 726
Location: A grave in Ireland
HORNS wrote:

So your solution is: silencing those you think are offensive.

Play that through for me.

You silence those you deem to be stupid and intolerant- and lets say for the sake of argument they ARE stupid offensive and intolerant. You silence them. You don't engage them. You don't prove to them how they are wrong, or more importantly, expose them as being wrongheaded and ignorant. you simply silence them. Is the next thing that happens is that these people with views you differ with just dissolve away like Mcfly's family in the polaroid picture in "Back To The Future"? I'm here to tell you that won't happen. When you eliminate discourse you give them fuel to fester. You give them the cause they need to add anger to their idiocy, and anger added to ignorance causes crimes in the name of those things you hate - which is what you wanted to stop in the first place. You want buildings burned down? You want hate crimes? Take the easy road and silence everyone you disagree with. Shut them down and then act surprised when what you don't like comes back with the worst intentions.
OR... give them their voice and make your argument. Make your argument and invest in the discourse that enlightens those who might think the ignorant are smart. Thats the way it has always worked. Thats why freedom of speech is MOST crucial when it is speech you don't agree with.

But hey! Its easy to just shut them down. Its also easy to go drink a bottle of booze at the bar instead of going to work.....


Ummm, no.

Did I say anything like any of that in this thread?? Show me where I did, please. Show me where I say that my solution is silencing people.

Super cool story bro....and you're blatantly putting words in my mouth. These are your assumptions of my opinions, words and viewpoints, and in no way, shape or form reflect the reality of my worldview. I've done nothing but engage in discourse and encourage conversation in this thread, and I've made that abundantly clear that was my intent in posting.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
And "White Privilege" is self-defeatist BULLSHIT.
Privilege privilege isn't.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Sorry Dylan, I thought you were inferring that there are limits to free speech when you said there should be limits in some cases(a couple posts above. Its kind of a poorly worded sentence so I should have inquired).

Also, I don't think that there would be ANY riots or ANY burned crosses if a bunch of female african american women named their band "tiny white weiners". You lost me on that one. Its not even in the realm of likelihood that that would happen. Come on man...

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Concordia
For the record i'm a bit jazzed that Trump won. Fuck that psycho lying irresponsible cunt. Am i jizzing in his comb-over? No. But he has his own wealth already. Thus he isn't beholden/a slave to: Corporate 'Merica, Wall St., the M.I.C., Mainstream Media or the Deep State.

I think he actually wants to preserve the Republic and the Constitution of the United States. I swore to uphold same when i enlisted in the U.S. Army back in 1987 and there's still a part of me that highly respects that.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:09 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 726
Location: A grave in Ireland
HORNS wrote:
Sorry Dylan, I thought you were inferring that there are limits to free speech when you said there should be limits in some cases(a couple posts above. Its kind of a poorly worded sentence so I should have inquired).

Also, I don't think that there would be ANY riots or ANY burned crosses if a bunch of female african american women named their band "tiny white weiners". You lost me on that one. Its not even in the realm of likelihood that that would happen. Come on man...


Well....there are limits to free speech man. That's absolutely true.


Perhaps we should have a discussion about what free speech actually entails? It's an article of the Constitution that protects against GOVERNMENT censorship and legal prosecution for legally protected speech. So....getting kicked off a bill because someone doesn't like the name of your band? That's not actually a violation of free speech under the constitution. They're not being threatened with legal action, nor are they being censored by the government. They're being told by a venue that they cannot play a show due to their decision of how to exercise their free speech, which is actually an expression of the private venue owner's freedom of expression, so....free speech does work both ways. If I go around being an asshole to everyone else at work and get fired, is that a violation of my free speech? Nope. If I tell a friend that I don't want to hang out with them anymore because they insult and verbally abuse me constantly, am I violating their free speech?? No, I'm removing myself from a toxic situation, which is the similar thing that this venue owner did, as naming your band something so problematic also invites toxicity and negativity. Like I said, I did something similar when offered a show with this band, because I don't need to be around that kind of toxicity and negativity at this point in my life.

I should point out in the interest of transparency that this wasn't always the case, and when I was younger I played in punk bands with button pushing/offensive/problematic lyrical material, and who received complaints and were actually banned from many venues as a result. I played in one band that was literally banned from every venue in our hometown. Not once did we whine or cry about it, or talk about how we were being "censored" or how our "free speech" was being violated, because obviously this comes with the territory, which seems to be the main problem in the Black Pussy situation - they don't seem to get that this comes with the territory. I'm sure GG Allin was told that he couldn't play certain venues and was kicked off bills. That's how it works, this ain't my first rodeo.

Are there limits to Constitutionally protected free speech? Of course, and there absolutely should be. Threats, harassment, bomb scares, etc, there are plenty of things that are not covered under freedom of speech/expression. For the record, flag burning is legal and Constitutionally protected free speech, yet you often see big believers in "free speech" saying they'll kick someone's ass if they see them do it. I myself have received threats simply for pointing out publicly that it's actually legal and protected.

I was perhaps exaggerating/speculating a worst case scenario when I said that five black women calling themselves Tiny White Weiners or whatever would have crosses burned on their lawn. Cross burning does still happen, though I have no idea if that's actually what would happen in this case, as it's speculative. I followed that up one sentence later by saying that there are enough openly racist/"alt-right" people in this country that would be up in arms, and I stand by that. I'd be willing to bet my life savings that they'd experience threats and harassment once some of the more openly bigoted sites/bloggers picked up the story, because this is America and that's our current racial/social situation, unfortunately. There's a lot of tension and ugliness out there, and such a name would inevitably invite the attentions of said ugliness.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Sonora California
There must be something we can do.

_________________
http://www.tastelikedirt.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 73 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net