Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
Latest blog post: Loading...
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 am


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan Thomas wrote:
Perhaps I'm slightly more aware because working in the mental health system, it's really easy to see how poorly and unfairly people of color are treated within that system as compared to white people. Black men are 80% more likely to be restrained, secluded, receive more severe diagnosis, and be on heavier and more harmful medications because of the stigma that they're "dangerous", even though their actual access to mental health care isn't as accessible as it is to white folks. That's how racism actually works, and yes, it's indicative that I absolutely have bigger battles to pick, as these are the ones I fight every day.


Thats not how racism works. Its stands to reason that thats how you want to see it. Racism works by attributing a stigma - or more importantly, guilt, onto one person based on the color of their skin. Which is what "white privilege is. No matter its intentions it is a MURDEROUS IDEOLOGY. Thats how the Gulags worked in Russia. Thats how the genocide in Rwanda happened. Or the rape of NanKing.
Racism has a massive stigma to it. And it should because its wrong. But more dangerous and caustic to our society is the normalization of white guilt as a reasonable line of thinking. Its racist. You, as an individual don't know jack shit about someone based on the color of their skin. You cannot assume that they have it easier. they could have grown up in an orphanage without parents. You think being white would just dissolve all of that? The deep seeded psychological problems that come with trauma and strife are all absolved by skin color?!? You know, I see a fuck ton of white homeless people here in LA. maybe they didn't get the memo on how easy it is to be white?
White privilege is a canard. Its an ideology that divides our country ad the people who subsribe to it are dunces that are being used by organizations that don't give a shit about ending racism. People with a pathology that someone else is to blame(capitalism! religion! the patriarchy!) for everythting that went wrong with their life.

If you are in the mental health system you must be aware that white men have a higher rate of suicide than all other races combined. Thats a hell of privileged life they lead!

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Last edited by HORNS on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
It's a generation of entitled gender confused under-achieving whiners. A generation raised without a hard ass in the house, if you will.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
Oh. I forgot fat and lazy too. Adolescent obesity and Type II diabetes is at epidemic levels. I know. I see it daily.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Today a new study was released blaming the rise in diabetes to global warming.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cli ... 05db532117


Image

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
Horns....you're talking about genocide, perhaps the most extreme form of racism. Not all racism is or leads to genocide, just as all crime is not first degree murder. Most racism is pretty subtle and goes under the radar. You seem to conceive of things, or at least illustrate them, in this hyperbolic, extreme, black and white mentality, when most things in this life exist in a gray area. If you truly think only the absolute most extreme forms of racism qualify, then....once again, I don't know what to say.

What I described is definitely racism, people of color getting more forced treatment than white folks, a well documented phenomena. That's exactly what racism is, a systemic oppression that targets a marginalized population, and it's often not even on the conscious level because it's something that's been conditioned.

When I was a child, I went to church. My father was big in the church, he read the readings and we'd have the priests to dinner and such, much to my chagrin. We used to get "exchange" priests, ones from other countries. We once got a guy from Africa, who as you can imagine had very dark skin. We didn't have too many people with dark skin where I grew up, only a handful. The priest went jogging one day, and my father was really upset because he found out that 18 people had called the police on him, simply saying that "a black man is running down my street." The assumption is that he's running because he did something wrong and is running away. That's what racism really looks like. White privilege looks like this - you or I could have gone jogging in any of those neighborhoods without having to be stopped by the police to explain what we're doing.

Racism looks like my black co-worker who was stopped 50 times in a year by the police (yes, surely he was speeding all those times!!) White privilege is not getting stopped nearly every week while driving to work.

Racism looks like when my ex and took a road trip to northern Vermont, and counted who many cars were being pulled over by the police. It was actually she who pointed out that they were primarily black people, so we counted that too. For every six cars that were pulled over, five of them were driven by a black person.

The first time I had a gun pointed at me was by the police, who pulled me over for having a black man in my car. They accused me of picking him up to buy me drugs. He was my co-worker who I was giving a ride home. The police did not even apologize to either of us once they realized they'd made a mistake, they just became nasty and verbally abusive.

White privilege doesn't mean that it's always easy being white. Once again, the extremes - being white doesn't mean you'll never face hardships in your life, that you'll be handed everything on a plate. That's silly, and no one contents that this is what white privilege looks like except detractors looking to set up a straw man to "refute it". That's a fallacious argument - it's a blatant straw man and holds no water.

Imagine how much MORE difficult it is being black and homeless, that's something I definitely see every day, as I work extensively with the homeless population. In fact, I saw it yesterday morning, and had to write a letter to another agency that denied a homeless black man shelter based on a non-existent medical condition. This is not the first such letter, though I'd like to add that I've never had to write one for a white person looking for shelter. That's what racism and white privilege look like.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:31 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
I've decided I've wasted enough of my limited time on this discussion, and I'll just leave some parting thoughts.

For the record, I don't feel guilty about being white, nor do most white people I know. I can't think of a single white person I know who would come out and say, "Hey, I feel guilty because I was born white." That's once again an absurd misrepresentation, perhaps invented by people who truly do have things to be guilty about. You shouldn't feel guilty about something completely beyond your control, and no one is asking you to feel guilty.

Please don't try to tell me how I feel, it's presumptive and disrespectful, and you've shown enough disrespect in this thread. You have no idea, because you're not me. You could simply ask me how I feel, and I'd tell you, because I'm a pretty open and honest person. You're right that I don't know anything about a person because of the color of their skin, which is why I ask them. That's literally my job - I talk to people about their experiences in life, and I've learned so much from listening. That's really important, I listen, which is something that most people could stand to do a lot more of rather than presume things, make assumptions, and think that they know everything on a subject they have very little experience in.

Honestly, I feel pretty damn happy about being born white, and pretty fucking lucky, because it means that despite all the bullshit I'm going to face in life, there's this whole other heap of bullshit that I'll never have to deal with, ever. However, I also feel a whole ton of empathy for those poor souls who do have to wade knee deep through those other piles every day of their lives, and I'd like to be able to help them out in some ways because underneath all my personal problems, I have a kind and generous nature.

That's the point that you're missing, Horns. The acknowledgment of "white privilege" isn't some admission of guilt - it's an expression of empathy.

Empathy. You should try it more often. A little bit goes a long way, my friend.

Peace out people, it's been real. Keep these kinds of conversations alive, because it's really important that we're having them at this moment in history.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
Image

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan, I like all of your input here. I like this discourse. Its enlightening. My point was simply that all countries cultures and societies deal with racism. We must forever be on our guard against it and denounce those that further it. It is a blight on humanity in the same manner that poverty and corruption are. It is injustice plain and simple.
Whats new is people in our country accepting a philosophy that defines an "oppressor race". And this isn't a fringe movement either. It is being embraced by media outlets as a reasonable way to view the world and it does nothing but poison the well and divide our country. My union just had a meeting on "micro-agressions", which, as far as I can tell can only be committed by white people. This is insanity.
And they didn't get this pushed forward by formulating a cohesive argument, they did it by calling anyone who spoke against it a racist. So no one says anything at this idiocy. They just silently formulate their own opinions without asking for input from the rest of the country - and thats HOW racism festers! It does a massive disservice to everyone in our country. You condemn the act and the perpetrators of racism, you don't convict people of one race because of crimes committed by their ancestors.
Its a huge step backwards for our nation.

And worst of all, it deflects from the real problems that black communities have, that being a fatherless rate that is off the fucking charts. In urban areas, 60% to 75% of african american households have no father. In Baltimore and Chicago the number hovers around 90 to 95%. You can take a jet around the world and stop at every nation and you won't find that kind of problem anywhere. It is an insurmountable hurdle for black children. When 90% of the black households in Baltimore don't have a dad raising their kids, that means at least 50% will spend the majority of their life in an 8'x10' cell. Its the largest social tragedy of our time and its so had to understand. In any other community in America, a fatherless home has a stigma. In asian communities, latino communities, even African communities. And yet it is rampant in african american inner cities.
When a single mom is raising a child, the community around her will rally and help out because she has all of the work and half of the resources of other families in the community. We seem to be hard wired for that(a single mom lives upstairs from me). But think about a 65% to 95% fatherless rate... there are no resources to share. There is no good outcome for kids coming out of those communities. If no one is allowed to talk about it, then there will be no solution to the largest problem facing african american communities in the US and this shit will keep spiraling out of control.

This is what Obama said(and he could not be more articulate than me):

Of all the rocks upon which we build our lives, we are reminded today that family is the most important. And we are called to recognize and honor how critical every father is to that foundation. They are teachers and coaches. They are mentors and role models. They are examples of success and the men who constantly push us toward it.

But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that what too many fathers also are is missing — missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled — doubled — since we were children. We know the statistics — that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
But I think the bickering in here belies the solidarity we have aimed to have in here. I would hope we could all agree that "social justice warrior" bullshit is just that. Empirically. Safe spaces, micro aggressions, cultural appropriation, unconscious bias, these are things we should be making fun of.

this is an incredibly intelligent takedown of cultural appropriation:


_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:11 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
HORNS wrote:
And they didn't get this pushed forward by formulating a cohesive argument, they did it by calling anyone who spoke against it a racist. So no one says anything at this idiocy. They just silently formulate their own opinions without asking for input from the rest of the country - and thats HOW racism festers!


Sigh....I said I wouldn't get dragged back into this, and....since I finished this conference proposal earlier than anticipated...

Firstly, you're not black and don't live in a black community, so forgive me if I don't consider you an expert on what their "real" problems are. If I want to know what the problems are, I'll ask them directly. It's cool that you like to think of these things, and you don't have all the answers because you are not there. It's like you said earlier, don't assume things about someone's life based on the color of their skin, and that includes what their "real" problems are. Ask them! Listen!!

Secondly, you're just now learning about micro-aggressions?? Okay....well, that is indeed progress. Just consider those to be smaller, subtler and more commonplace things that people in marginalized communities have found to be annoying/concerning/offensive for years and years, and have have recently found the voice and power to speak to. That's not a step backwards, that just means that we've made enough progress FORWARD that we can address some of the seemingly smaller things. Micro-aggressions are very real, and no, they're not exclusively committed by white people. That's a larger discussion that I'm not sure that I'm up for at the moment.

Yeah, if you speak out against anti-racist measures, you're going to get called racist, that's pretty cut and dry. It doesn't mean that you're burning crosses on someone's lawn or calling them the "N" word, it just means that you're contributing to a system of oppression that marginalizes people of color. One thing you'll definitely learn doing this work - white people HATE being called racist. We get defensive, dismissive, angry, embarrassed.

You can call me a racist all you want, I know that it's totally true. I do everything I can to be respectful of race, culture, etc, and I grew up in a nearly all white community that was inherently racist. I make micro-aggressive comments from time to time without realizing it. It's internalized at this point in my existence, and I do my best to look deep into myself and analyze my beliefs, my cultural conditioning, and where those things came from.

We all make mistakes, this is how we learn and grow. The best and most helpful thing that people can do is point out when I fall short, when I say something that's not okay. The best thing that people can do is call me racist. I'm not going to get angry, I'll thank them and ask them how I can do better. Because no matter what you may think of my past (yes, I used to be quite a raging asshole, and I sincerely apologize for that), I have worked extremely hard to become a better human being, and I will continue to work extremely hard.


Thirdly....your quote above....that is exactly how racism festered in the first place dude. People of color were marginalized, talked over, silenced, not represented,had their stories and experiences inaccurately misrepresented by white folks, tokenized, etc. They were the rest of the country, they were denied a voice, and they were denied input.

And that's lots of white people are so up in arms, because suddenly, they're not the only ones who feel heard and empowered, as they're so used to. And yes, some are going to want to now fight to "take back their power." So.....does that mean that marginalized communities, people of color, the LBGTQ community etc should just sit down and shut up, that they should know their role and let the old white dudes go back to running the show?

That's not what I want. One of the greatest thrills about my work is the feeling I get knowing that I've helped other people feel heard and empowered, like they have a meaningful voice and can be their own agent in changing their lives. That's literally what gets me up in the morning and puts a smile on my face. Doing this work has been what's transformed me from a colossal douchebag into the man I am today.



Racism has always been festering, much of the underlying issues are just coming to surface right now due to the current political climate. It's like a pimple that was growing under the skin and is just now coming to the surface to be popped. And things may get messy when that sucker finally pops, chances are we're all gonna get a little bit of puss on ourselves. Hell, I'm down to help clean up the mess though, I've got nothing better to do. Who wants to live forever? ;)

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:38 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
Ugh....and a little bit about an "oppressor race." I agree with you.


I personally don't buy that one as much either. I think that it's more rooted in classism and power structures, though that's a larger argument. I'll just say that I'm not for things like calling America a "white supremacist society". I understand the point some folks are trying to make with this statement, that our social power structure has evolved to benefit and protect the achievements of primarily white culture, though I find it problematic because lumping all white people in with an ideology that literally believes in the supremacy of one race is a stretch, just like lumping all Muslims in with terrorists who commit atrocities is problematic. To me, "white supremacist America" is pretty much on par with saying "radical Islamic terrorism." They're both counter-productive narratives that undermine the intents and belief systems of the very same people who tend to utilize these phrases. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me on that, though I stand by it. Too many people in social justice circles live in an echo chamber where their believes are no longer challenged, and they're also so ingrained in that lifestyle that they forget that this is new territory for a lot of folks. As a result, they're unnecessarily harsh on them and speak in their own jargon that's simply not on many folks radars, then they get upset that it's not on other people's radar. I agree that this is counterproductive. You can't just expect people to understand things immediately when they're brand new to them, and you have to take their thoughts, feelings and opinions into consideration as well. Those are the things that make us human, and if they're not considered, people tend to feel dehumanized.

And some people in social justice circles just like to act like assholes towards others, and it gives them an excuse to do so. You'll find that in any kind of social circles though.

I don't believe in an "oppressor race." I do believe that America has an oppressive power structure, yes, and that race and racism are often tools used to uphold that power structure, though it's inherently rooted in wealth and social class.

I don't think that your strategy to make fun of "social justice warriors" is productive either dude. That's not going to solve anything, it just makes you look like a child at best and an asshole at worst, and it's just going to push people back into being defensive and taking a firmer stand on their positions.

Engage in intelligent and respectful conversation, find out where people are coming from, what in their lives has led to them taking those positions. Dig deeper, be infinitely curious, look under the surface. I like to find out what makes folks really tick. Try it, rather than ridiculing. That is, if you're actually interested in helping to change things for the better ;-)


Edit: Perhaps it makes more sense for us to take this conversation to PM's at this point, Horns, since I feel like it's you and I directly talking to each other back and forth, I feel like I'm monologging quite a bit, and I'd like to make room for others to say their peace as well. Does that make sense??

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
My generation: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."
Current generation: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, and words will always hurt me."

Note the difference.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:41 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
Great link, Horns. I need to check out more Jordan Peterson.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan Thomas wrote:
Firstly, you're not black and don't live in a black community, so forgive me if I don't consider you an expert on what their "real" problems are. If I want to know what the problems are, I'll ask them directly.



THEN WHY SHOULD I CARE??

That right there is THE single crux of why the social justice warrior movement is a joke. Its a punchline.

"You aren't me, and therefore you can't possible understand my problems, or my world view so just be quiet and give me what I want."

WRONG.

Thats not how it works. Thats not how its has worked ever for any generation in the history of mankind. Jeeeeezus christ, thats like saying you don't want to invest in our society, you just want a handout that you think you are entitled to! I was agreeing with what President Obama said (and he's black) and you open your statement by refuting any opinion of mine based on my race. What a laugh.

All people have traits and idiosyncracies that are not recognized by our society/culture. Everyone. We have these things that are judged by the standard of our society. And we all must learn to excel at one (or more)skill or trait that makes the other "insufficient" characteristics unimportant. That is the existential state of being... for all of us. Society can be tyranical and judgmental and arbitrary. For everyone! So we always have to tweak it and amend it and work to accommodate those that feel disenfranchised - and the best we can do is make them feel AS disenfranchised as everyone else.

We all bear our burdens. What I see from SJW thinking is a call to reject this common sacrifice and police those that have been deemed the "oppressor class" and its pathological. No good will come out of it.

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
Well, I honestly can't tell you why you should care. That's something that you're going to have to figure out for yourself.

I can tell you that personally, I care because I'm a human being who lives in community and society with other human beings. I don't like to see anyone needlessly suffer, and since I'm someone who has just about all of my needs met, I'd like to support others in meeting their needs as well. I used to think that I knew everything, but this just made me into an asshole, because no one likes a know-it-all. Now I'm curious, and I want to understand, not pretend I have all the answers anymore. Those are my motivations.

What motivates you? I notice that you tend to regress to using hyperbolic assumptions and absolutist ascertains. Your examples are often filled with generalizations and stereotypes. Why do you think that is? Does this feel easier to you?

As far as Obama, what he says isn't the do all and end all. Sure, he's black, and he's pretty far removed from the common man at this point in time. He's no expert, he knows government, not sociology. He once lived in and worked with poorer black communities, though that was long ago and things have changed. He's lived in the fucking White House for the past eight years! From my perspective, he's pretty out of touch. He's also a politician, and everything he says has an agenda.

Is it concerning that there are so many single mothers trying to raise children, often in poverty? Absolutely, it places an additional burden on families that already shoulder a lot of hardship. Still, it's pretty problematic to try to reduce the problems of a larger community or a society down to one thing. Life isn't that simple. None of us can just assert, "I know exactly what's wrong with the world, it's this one thing we need to fix, and everything else that people say is a problem in their lives, well, that's just distracting from this one thing that I say!" That's patently absurd. Human life is far more complex than that, and though we all have common problems, there's also struggles that are relative only to the individual themselves.

That's the piece that most people have the hardest time holding, reconciling the worldviews of the universal and the distinctly individual.

You can understand the worldview and problems of the individual, though not if you already think you know what those are. You cannot if automatically conflate them with your own problems, if your mentality is "Well, this isn't a problem for me, so how can it be a problem for anyone else?" You cannot if you think there's some kind of absolute, do-all and end-all problem that if we fix, everything will be fixed.

There's some things I agree with in the last part of your post, and some things that I do not. I still implore you that we continue this discussion on a personal level, as I really do think that it's gone off topic, it's mostly a dialog between the two of us, and I do feel like I'm taking up too much space in the conversation with my posting and would like to offer others the opportunity to respond and express their thoughts.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Dylan Thomas wrote:

I can tell you that personally, I care because I'm a human being who lives in community and society with other human beings.


Do you? If you cannot EVER understand the people you share the society with(according to them), cannot ever understand their list of grievances, and your opinion on those grievances is wholly negligible, but you must capitulate to their demands and butt out... then you certainly don't share a society with them. By definition of the world share.
Are you as concerned about the residents of Myanmar as you are with those that say you cannot understand their experience in this country? Because you can't understand the experience of people in Myanmar either. The SJW movement has issued edicts to divide our country and thats not what we're about.
E PLURIBUS UNUM -"from many, one."

Also, I still like you Dylan. You're a righteous guy even though we disagree.

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
You can never understand totally and completely. It isn't possible, we can only do our best with the time we are given. Hell, I'd say that we'll never be able to understand ourselves totally and completely.

Sure, I ostensibly care about the people of Myanmar, though I know very, very little about their culture other than they used to call themselves Burma. I can understand what common problems we may face as fellow humans, though I'd honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what obstacles they may face as a society and in their communities because I have almost no contact with people from that culture. I could read up on it, though second hand knowledge and statistics just isn't as reliable as the real deal - direct experience.

I believe that you can care globally and act locally. I don't have many resources at my disposal to better the lives of those in Myanmar. I have plenty to help my immediate community.

I'm not saying that our opinion on the grievances of others is wholly negligible. Just because we have an opinion doesn't make it useful, timely, or true. Don't believe everything you think. I'd say that the best way to understand the grievances of others is to truly shut up and listen for a good bit before thinking we can jump in and contribute anything valuable.

I would say that an opinion is much more valuable if it's well-informed, valid, and reliable. Also, you're much more likely to be heard if your opinion is informed by actual experience, critical thought, and respectful language.


Quote:
The SJW movement has issued edicts to divide our country and thats not what we're about.


Have they really?? Or is this another stereotype and generalization?? I know some people who are heavily into social justice, like that's their whole life, and I've never heard them say anything of this sort. I think some of them are young, naive, over-enthusiastic, stubborn, etc etc, though generally I feel confident that their hearts are in the right place and they genuinely give a shit. Usually I agree with their ethics and ideology, though often I starkly disagree with their methodology and language. They'll learn over time what works and what doesn't work as far as having their message received.


You're A-OK in my book as well!! If I disliked everyone I disagreed with, I'd have zero friends and no one to talk to ;-)

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
Ha ha! Truly, the torture of politics never stops.

In commending your convictions Dylan I present you with what might be the only footage from the front row of an early 80s W.A.S.P. show at the Troubadour. As brain numbing an exercise political discussion can be, try to wrap your head around the size of a VHS camera and that this person endured the blood soaked front row whilst using it. And the chicks...


_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:26 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
I care about others just as much as they care about me. Can't be arsed to get into some winded existential debate. One thing is for sure: If i die tomorrow, it's been one hell of a good run. I take full responsibility for that fact too.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:44 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
Ha!!! Cool, I fucking love W.A.S.P.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm
Posts: 521
Location: NY
White dudes terrified of oppression by the meanie SJWs! Is it ever not funny?

_________________
What should such fellows as I do, crawling between earth and heaven?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Los Angeles
If you think strong men are dangerous, wait until you have to deal with weak men.

_________________
The monster was the best friend I ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
Terrified? Heh. That's ridiculous too.

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Concordia
Oppression? Lulz. It's okay if the original point gets lost by some. It's almost expected, isn't it?

_________________
dynaco Sansui Marantz Line Magnetic Kyocera Oppo NAD Yamaha/Denon Denon/Grado Pioneer/Sumiko Sony/Nagaoka dbx Advent Klipsch/Crites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Black Pussy" is RACIST!! SEXIST!! OMG !!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 724
Location: A grave in Ireland
HORNS wrote:
If you think strong men are dangerous, wait until you have to deal with weak men.


We are dealing with weak men. We elected one president.

_________________
This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net