Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
 Post subject: Bigotry in Music?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:06 am 

How do you feel about bands who spread messages of hatred towards minorities while performing stale and uncreatively boring music?

Post subject: Re: Bigotry in Music?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 pm 

Just another easy reason to dislike most modern BM.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 am 

Well...Now we know that their are at least 60 millions idiots out there ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:45 am 

There is nothing that makes me more angry then when people stir up hatred (against minorities)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:59 am 

There's no Trump in Triumph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 pm 

I've always wondered if Lynyrd Skynyrd are actually racist or not????

I had a black friend who couldn't listen to their music because of the Confederate flag they always display in their concerts. Then I read interviews with the guitarists and they say they dig Hendrix. I mean how could anyone be racist if they admire a black person?? But then the whole Confederate flag thing confuses me. I know some people are into that because they're fascinated with Civil War history and/or maybe it's just a part of their Southern cultural heritage,and doesn't necessarily mean they are racist,but I've always wondered if Skynyrd are indeed racist or not. I know a lot of their fans are however.

I feel though there's definitely more sexism and homophobia in music than anything. It's tough being a woman in the world of hard rock/heavy metal for one. Tough even in the world of hip hop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:04 pm 

maybe it's just a part of their Southern cultural heritage,and doesn't necessarily mean they are racist,

Being part of southern blue-collar heritage implies at least a little racism. I grew up with a lot of 'em. It was cool to like Hendrix- only the hardcore racists cared that he was black.
I would imagine the Lynyrd Skynyrd were less racist than a lot of their fans, but that's just a guess (and a major generalization).
Where I grew up, the confederate flag was less about racism and more about being a proud redneck. But I lived in the northernmost south (just below the Mason-Dixon)- things didn't get too American History X around me, thankfully.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:34 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean. Having lived down in the south myself for a few years,I have met/hungout with a few cool rednecks lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:00 pm 

You can love Jimi Hendrix and still be totally racist. You can have tons of black friends and still be racist.

I think that most people don't have the best understanding of what racism really means and what it really looks like.

Racism usually doesn't look like the KKK or Nazi skins. Those are the extremists. It's often very subtle, and it's hard to see it because we're constantly surrounded by it.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 am 

It saddens me greatly that people are so closed-minded that they will hate an entire race and/or religion without giving the individual a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:36 am 

Here's an up-to-date news listing of the Hate incidents due to the US' newly elected president.

I, on the other hand, am going to re-start my crappy band Space Mushroom Fuzz and make all the songs about peace and / or exploiting blind hatred and blind followers of the new hate movement in American and beyond and how they are ignorant fuck-faces.

http://jezebel.com/tracking-racist-incidents-and-hate-crimes-in-donald-tru-1789058519

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:05 am 

It's not just close-mindedness though. It's something that's conditioned.

Fun fact: You ever see a video of monkeys freaking out when they see a snake? It's not instinctual. Baby monkeys aren't afraid of snakes. They learn it by watching the reactions of the adult monkeys.

That's how racism works. We weren't born with it, we all learned it.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 am 

Yes there is a lot of learned bigotry, not just in white America. In Israel we are taught to hate the arabs because they always have wars but mostly because of some differences in the bible, or some shit. Some groups of African Americans hate all white people because they're conflicts in the past but not all whites are responsible for slavery. My ancestors have nothing to do with slavery and or were enslaved themselves or gassed or forced to live in ghettos. So those 'Kill the White' people groups aren't quite getting the picture, I guess. I saw recently that Minor Threat songwriter wrote something about being discriminated for being white then some other ignorant ass-wipes took that as pro-white BS. Everyone in America is an immigrant, maybe even some native americans. My parents were one of those hidden racists, never approved of my black gf's...I really don't think I am a racist, but maybe I am and always have been?

I have been a victim of mass hatred due to my bad personality and my attempt to make music. I get it now, though. Boston has a lot of pride in their Hardcore scene and I was too young and never attracted to that scene. But something tells me that by the 90's they lost touch of it's origins and at some point to many bands hopped on the bandwagon, which seems to happens to and ruin underground music scenes. I never saw the appeal in music which was based solely on energy and image and my brain was totally wasted on overuse of acid before turning 18 I took to the psychedelic music approach and found the hardcore, or what had become of punk hardcore abrasive. I also thought phish, grunge and indy music were all annoying. Does hating genres of music make me a bigot or is this rational dislike?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:07 pm 

oodum wrote:
Yes there is a lot of learned bigotry, not just in white America. In Israel we are taught to hate the arabs because they always have wars but mostly because of some differences in the bible, or some shit. Some groups of African Americans hate all white people because they're conflicts in the past but not all whites are responsible for slavery. My ancestors have nothing to do with slavery and or were enslaved themselves or gassed or forced to live in ghettos. So those 'Kill the White' people groups aren't quite getting the picture, I guess. I saw recently that Minor Threat songwriter wrote something about being discriminated for being white then some other ignorant ass-wipes took that as pro-white BS. Everyone in America is an immigrant, maybe even some native americans. My parents were one of those hidden racists, never approved of my black gf's...I really don't think I am a racist, but maybe I am and always have been?

I have been a victim of mass hatred due to my bad personality and my attempt to make music. I get it now, though. Boston has a lot of pride in their Hardcore scene and I was too young and never attracted to that scene. But something tells me that by the 90's they lost touch of it's origins and at some point to many bands hopped on the bandwagon, which seems to happens to and ruin underground music scenes. I never saw the appeal in music which was based solely on energy and image and my brain was totally wasted on overuse of acid before turning 18 I took to the psychedelic music approach and found the hardcore, or what had become of punk hardcore abrasive. I also thought phish, grunge and indy music were all annoying. Does hating genres of music make me a bigot or is this rational dislike?

Well....I hear what you're saying, even though it's a lot.

And....you most likely are a racist in some ways, and have been since an early age. I know that I am absolutely racist, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Racism isn't just about hatred, it's not just about calling black people the N word. It's mostly about discriminatory practices and an institutionalized system of power and oppression, and it's often very subtle, like I mentioned above.

It can look like when a you're waiting at a crowded deli, and the person behind the counter takes your order next, even though there's a black guy that's been waiting way longer. That's racism.

It can look like when I'm doing a presentation at work with a black woman, and when it's time for question and answer, everyone automatically directs their questions at me, even though she's equally if not more qualified to answer their questions.

It can look like when you're walking down the street alone at night, and you see a black guy who you don't know with his hood up, and you feel afraid and cross the street rather than pass him on the sidewalk. Later you see a pretty tough looking white guy with his hood up, and you don't cross the street. That's racist, and I know that I'm guilty of this last one.

It's not good enough not to hate. When that worker at the deli calls on you to take you order, you speak up, say, "Hey, this guy here has been waiting longer, take his order."

When I'm getting asked all the questions at this presentation, I should say, "Hey Martha, this is kind of your area of expertise, why don't you answer this question."

That's how to overcome your racism, by breaking the cycle of racist behaviors and conditioning. It's not enough not to hate.

As far as that last scenario....well, that's something that I still struggle with overcoming. The first step is simply being aware of what's happening in my mind rather than just blindly reacting. But I'm still racist, and it's going to take a lot of time and effort to overcome years of reactionary racist conditioning in a basically all white small town.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:11 am 

people's egos are funny things.

I still am sort of amazed that Prussian blue got away with what they did. although a pair of hot twins as front ladies probably got them more traction than deserved, but still..how does that exist? evidently there are enough like-minded people...yikes....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:16 am 

I am against most mob ruled movements especially when they are led by bigotry, and it's even worse when led by strategical bigots who use this hatred to unite people to gain power. I am a victim and a part of 2 of their hated minorities. They should spend their time fucking themselves, lube-less. How many times do I have to hear the guy behind me murmur Jew when I use change to pay the cash register attendant or people locking their cars when I walk past thinking I will open their doors.

Like I said, I been a target of hatred. Lost friends and respect of other musicians in Boston and beyond because people decided to stir up hatred against me to the point where people thought I was a murderer. Me a murderer? Anyone who really knows me knows that I would never murder anyone or anything so that conclusion came as a result of mob induced stupidity, where they lost touch with reality due to the glory felt by the united anger.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:35 am 

The only sure way to avoid being called a bigot in the PC western world, is to keep yr mouth shut and eyes to the ground. Esp. if you are male and you are white.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 am 

libertycaps wrote:
The only sure way to avoid being called a bigot in the PC western world, is to keep yr mouth shut and eyes to the ground. Esp. if you are male and you are white.

Actually, it's a lot easier than that. It's really just about not being an asshole and having a bit of respect for fellow humans.

I'm white as Casper the Ghost and run my mouth all the time in the most PC environment you could possibly imagine. Guess what? I don't get called a bigot.

If you're getting called a bigot, it's probably because you're being an asshole and having little to no respect for other people. My advice would be not to say bigoted things, that usually does the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:06 am 

read an article which revealed that these alt-right people do not think Jews are human. After they claim that Jews aren't real humans they praise 'Jesus'. This is what they call their second g_d, their first one being the Jewish g_d, who forbids followers to worship a 2nd g_d. So if they are worshiping a Jew as their g_d, stealing the Jews folklore then claiming that Jews aren't human, are they implying that Jews are g_d(s)?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:43 pm 

oodum wrote:
read an article which revealed that these alt-right people do not think Jews are human. After they claim that Jews aren't real humans they praise 'Jesus'. This is what they call their second g_d, their first one being the Jewish g_d, who forbids followers to worship a 2nd g_d. So if they are worshiping a Jew as their g_d, stealing the Jews folklore then claiming that Jews aren't human, are they implying that Jews are g_d(s)?

No, they're golems, get it right....or, alt-right, damn it!!

CNN should be ashamed of that banner they ran at the bottom during their coverage of this story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:10 am 

i guess everyone's new thing is to blame the orange pedal but let's just say i told justin it wasn't the pedal and it was the amp? people are fixated on these prejudgments, i just think that people react to certain people differently despite the orange pedal which they may use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 am 

This is sucha disgrace to Metal...

How shameful. People who use hatred as a form of power are actually very weak inside. I grewup with a racist Caucasian father myself actually( I am half Filipina and my father is from Argentina but labeled Caucasian for some reason). The Nazis went into hiding in Argentina so doesn't surprise me about my dad.

Racism sucks!!!! It doesn't even make people seem smarter, just stupid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]