Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Digital-to-analog converters?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am 

Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they just glorified (and really expensive!) storage devices, or do they really make a difference? Any recommended brands? I'm pretty much relegated to digital music now days but would like to get that expansive analog sound. I'm too old to research all the techy geek jargon. When it comes to that shit, I feel like my grandpa...who couldn't set the clock on his VCR.

Post subject: Re: Digital-to-analog converters?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:40 pm 

Snake oil, i reckon.

Post subject: Re: Digital-to-analog converters?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 am 

I feel bad I still haven't finished my summer projects and adventures yet and haven't been able to get busy in the music room yet, but the weather has been insane Georgia weather and an extra month to work outside (basically restoring an entire 60yr old property that is fubar'd from a-z)

glad I checked in tho....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/D and D/A this is the gateway from the analog world to the digital world , and back again.

the converter's job is to take digital samples and recreate the analog waveform from it. Any digital audio device that plays audible audio has to have D/A converters to assemble the digital sample values into coherent audio.

Just like anything else, the D/A converters in a $49 car stereo CD player won't be the same quality as the ones in a hi-end denon CD player for example. I never shopped who has the cleanest most accurate D/A converters personally.

It seems most of the focus regarding gear I look at is on the A/D end, like all these USB digital interfaces that get your music into a digital DAW on your computer.

Names like presonus, focusrite, MOTU, etc make the interfaces and they tout their nice pre-amps, so they would have to do a good job on their D/A-A/D components too

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]