Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Load and Re-Load
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 am 

I'm leaning towards these two as being my favorite Metallica albums, just slightly ahead of Master of Puppets. I think Mettalica had it right but pushed to be too cutting edge and made st anger and then bounced way back too hard in the other direction instead of making more alternative friendly albums like Load and Re Load. I think they could have even branched out into stoner doom from those two albums and it would have been a great natural progression.

Post subject: Re: Load and Re-Load
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:29 am 

Well, those albums are definitely the Metallica "stoner-rock" albums. I was a pretty huge fan of KYUSS when they came out and I remember being stoked when the two non-power guys in the band (Kirk and Jason) kept referring to KYUSS as an influence when they came out.

I thought 'Load' was pretty good when it came out. It wasn't as deflating to me as a lot of other metalheads. I kind of think if you stack it up objectively to the Black Album, it comes out on top. 'Reload' was a steaming pile of shit though. Definitely full of throwaway tracks outside of "The Memory Remains".

I was still fully on-board at this point (like 1996-97?), but in no way did anything they do in the 90's touch their 80's output.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:44 pm 

Never bought either,but I do have fond memories of Load when it came out. Thought the song Hero of the Day actually rocked hard despite people around me saying it sucked. Pretty good album in hindsight.Used to lisen to it for free alot at Blockbuster Music in the 90's. Never liked Reload though. Thought the symphony stuff was boring,and I stole a copy of Garage INC. at this bookstore I worked at in 2000. Actually thought St.Anger wuz alright too when it came out,and I was already into stuff like Electric Wizard then.

As bad as it is, I also love listening to Lulu when super baked sometimes for fun. I love so bad it's good albums like Technical Ecstasy. Lulu is actually a trippy album. Way better than Megadeth's Risk at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:35 am 

heh, yeah risk is a stinker.
the underrated megadeth to me is cryptic writings. that is one of my favorite megadeth albums (rust and countdown would be my other 2 most favorite)

I would just be repeating what everyone said regarding reload...boring boring boring
I don't like the moody blues album with all the orchestra crap either. There are very few places that the symphony works well with the rock. artists keep giving it a go and the results keep on sucking

load is actually groovy. heh. plus the whole black album is more toned down. load and the black album definitely can be played back-to-back

compared to reload, the new album is very refreshing

edit: also avril lavigne totally ruined gimme fuel gimme fire gasoline for me, even tho she killed it. her drummer was better too haha.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 pm 

Bleeding Me is my Favorite song from Load....If they had a return to that sound I'd be all over it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 pm 

I actually just pulled out Load the other day...hadn't listened to it in years but for some reason I woke up in the morning with "Wasting My Hate" in my head. Holds up pretty good and really was probably the right stylistic shift for them. But then they had mental breakdowns and all the fans revolted and they have now gone back to a kind of stale rehash of their thrash years. Is Death Magnetic really better than Load? I think most people know the answer to that, deep in their hearts...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:10 am 

RalphSnart wrote:
Is Death Magnetic really better than Load? I think most people know the answer to that, deep in their hearts...

My answer is no, no way is Death Magnetic better than Load!

I never got past two songs on DM,but have heard Load in it's entirety on several occasions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]