Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Temples - ouch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 am 

Mr Mace has had to cancel a few days before the festival, it seems fairly clear in a way what happened but still ambiguous as ever. He's stuck to doing it all his own way all along, and looks to have finally fallen over. Not enough cash in the bank. Shit for people who travelled/were travelling from far.
There's now a killer Saturday night gig in Bristol at the fleece, kudos to people pulling something together so fast, shame I'm out of town anyway!

Post subject: Re: Temples - ouch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 am 
Site Admin

It seems like every time I see anything about that fest anywhere, someone from a band has chimed in to say they're still waiting to be paid, or they got ripped off or something like that. Bummer the fest couldn't come together this time, but it looks like Francis didn't have too many people on his side. Hard to go it alone for something of that scale, I would think.

Post subject: Re: Temples - ouch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:47 am 

He said that the money thing went wrong last year and it took him a long time to square up with people. I think so far as he's concerned he did that, but there are those who feel hard done by. And inevitably there's a bunch of people chipping in that 'when he booked us for this hc gig in '98 we didn't get as much as we were promised'. No one kicks around putting on gigs for years without collecting some of those disgruntled folk, it doesn't look like they've been actively pursuing sorting these things out but have decided to speak up now there's a chance of some shared righteous indignation.

But shit what hubris. Yes Francis seems a stubborn and proud man and he has fucked this right up. It's going to come down on him hard for some time and all he wanted was to do something great with integrity. The fall out lands on everyone else involved of course. There's talk around that he's some sort of spiv who's been pulling a fast one all these years but in my experience people like that do whatever they can to make the con work, surely in this case he would've run the festival somehow then scarpered with the funds to Honduras or something!

Just on the noise of my self interest I'm not that ruffled about this year as I wasn't going to be there, but I had got used to the idea of having a big heavy music festival in my hometown every year.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]