Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Grand Magus. 'nuff said.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm 

Is it me, or are these guys pound for pound in the top three most prolific and consistent metal bands in the last 15 years? You gotta hand it to these filthy swedes(and I say that with love).
Every other year they put out a full length album with great production, and they've been doing that for 16 years straight. There is nothing better than a three piece that sounds like a five piece - the mark of a great band. They submit to the riff in every song, with a galloping beat and hooks that burrow into your head. Love these guys.

Now why the FUCK can't they come to the states and do a tour. Has anyone in here seen them live? I'm starting to think they are going to end their run and I'm never going to get to see them live. Shit, I saw Bolt Thrower and I still haven't seen Grand Magus...

Post subject: Re: Grand Magus. 'nuff said.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:53 pm 

Absolutely, positively fucking agree. I just recently compiled a "best of" list for my brother to check out and it was almost 40 songs. Tried to trim it down, just couldn't. Even my wife, who is not into metal, recently commented when one of their songs came on "Man, everything these guys do is epic". And from the two songs they've released from the forthcoming album, nothing has changed.

As for their production, I love the fact that they have a different sound from album to album. It generally ranges between a slightly modern sound to a reel-to-reel vintage sound. Keeps it interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 pm 

Great band! Amazing sound for a 3 pc. I actually have to get caught up with their last 3 albums. I have everything up 'til 2010's "Hammer Of The North". I got a little bored with their style of straight-up, Norse, power metal...but they do what they do flawlessly. JB has to be one of the busiest guys in the business...and extremely talented. I still like their 1st one best. It was kinda bluesier than their successive ones. "Black Hound Of Vengeance" will always be one of my favorite songs ever! I will seek out their most recent releases and give them due diligence.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 am 

The new album is out today. They cranked the metal to 11 on this one. And the drum sound is HUGE.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

So, I figured out what happened to me with these guys...I actually bought The Hunt on CD, when it came out (possibly from ATH?) and listened to it a cpl. times but couldn't connect with it...so I never ripped it to my digital collection. I boxed it up and forgot about it. So I dug it out and I still just can't connect with that one. I think it's due to the production change up? They went with a classic, rock sound and, aside from "Sword Of The Ocean", the songs just don't stick with me. I previewed Triumph and Power and it sounded pretty good so I bought it and I really like that one! It's back to the heavier production with tons of riffage. I d/l'd the new one this morning and it's really good too! Totally agree that the drums sound amazing. Nice Deep Purple cover to end on. JB sounds like Gillan with bigger balls! So yeah, Horns...thanks for re-directing me back to these guys. Amazing band, for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm 

I agree with this.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]