Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Droids Attack - Sci Fi Or Die
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:35 pm 

Curious to see what people think of this? If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor. It's 10x better than their last one (2010's Must Destroy), which wasn't bad...and was 10x better than the previous one (2007's Fatal/Error). Gone is the Wisconsin keg party band...now, they are at the top of the game in the genre...riff rock, stoner rock, biker rock (insert your favorite clichéd classification here)...and at the upmost pedigree. Take some Clutch, Orange Goblin, Throttlerod, The Sword, Sixty Watt Shaman, Mr. Plow, basically any bad-ass band in that lineage, and this is right there. The first four songs smoke out of the gate...and then we get the 8 min. "Mashenomak"...which wouldn't have sounded out of place on Sleep's Holy Mountain. That is my song of the year so far. From there, the album is pretty much on cruise control and your mind is pretty much blown. This is riff-centric, hard rock done right. Nothing ground-breaking or totally original, but they just nailed that sound that makes you want to unleash your groove and lock into their riffs. The production is spot-on...similar to the last two Orange Goblin albums. Drums are crisp and hard as fuck. I don't attempt to post this much about too many bands, but this one is hitting all the right cords. I'm waiting on new Sourvein, Beastwars, Valley Of the Sun, Grifter, Melvins and many others, but this is my favorite, so far, this year. Nice job, guys!

Post subject: Re: Droids Attack - Sci Fi Or Die
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 pm 

I gotta get this... I heard one song and liked it enough.
Thanks for the details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:43 pm 

I dig Brad Van's guitar tone. Upper Midwest stoner rock. There's just a dash of prog once in a while, and some post punk. Clutch should pick them up for a run. I'd love to see these guys live some day. They don't seem to make it out of the Chicago/Wisconsin area too much. Maybe this album will get them beyond cheesehead country.

The latest below

https://droidsattack.bandcamp.com/album/sci-fi-or-die

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:20 am 

Great call, they really have stepped up their game... Didn't even know they had a new record.

Not that their game was ever bad:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:31 pm 

Bump.

This album is great.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:16 pm 

I liked all of the other stuff and I'm digging what I've heard of the new songs. Very solid band. They smash out one fun riff after another and are pretty damn good players. Fatal/Error is still my favorite I think after re-listening to all of their stuff recently.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]