Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Black Crowes appreciation thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:24 am 

pretty sure I posted something like this on sr.com, but regardless..I think it's worthy here too. Funny these guys never get mentioned in discussion of 'our scene' but I think there is a connection. Classic/Blues rock 70s influence, etc. Frankly, I fucking love these guys, especially from Southern Harmony through even Lions. Although Lions and By Your Side are not entirely strong albums, they have those cool stand outs. Amorica and Three Snakes are personally my favorites...I think that's the band at their musical/creative peak...prob their hardest drug period too. Southern Harmony is also outstanding, and an incredibly mature progression from their debut, which I thought was then, and still feel, was sort of bratty/undeveloped compared to what they would become.

An absolute killer band live, loud and even heavy at times. Got to see them once in Philly at the Electric Factory around '99, and than one other time in Boston at The Orpheum around '05ish.

If yuns dig em, what albums/era in particular?

Found a good live set from Atlanta from '05 with original members
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yqfHZG ... tml5=False

Post subject: Re: Black Crowes appreciation thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:49 pm 

I'm with you. I didn't really get into them until "By Your Side" I guess...saw them at the Big E in maybe 2000 (do you know the Big E?) and they covered "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac. That kind of won me over.

Also I came into possession of the first two albums courtesy of some abandoned cds found in a friends closet in their new apartment. That helped. "Southern Harmony" might be the favorite. Been meaning to pick up "Three Snakes..." since I had to toss my old cassette tape.

I don't have anything after "Lions", but I've heard "Warpaint" and thought it was great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:45 am 

They're a solid rock band. I was into them in high school, though not super duper into them. It's been a long time since I've listened to them....

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am 

'Lions' has a tune I really dig called "Cosmic Friend"...kind of a studio jam session that def has a Led Zep/Jimmy Page riff to it. prob not a coincidence they were playing with Page roughly during this same era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxpfGO6 ... tml5=False

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:50 am 

I've been a closet Crowes fan for some time now. Great music to listen to on the boat! Southern Harmony will always be my favorite. That second half run from "Hotel Illness" to "My Morning Song" is about as hard as the Crowes can rock. Amorica is a close second...classic album cover! By Your Side, Lions, Three Snakes and Before The Frost all have some great songs too. And I like the 2-disc Lost Crowes...it has some great tunes and alt versions. Oddly, the only one I can't get into is the 1st one. I think it is just too poppy and a few songs have been played to death. In the past few years, I've been getting into Blackberry Smoke a little. I like about half the songs on their albums...the rockin' ones anyway. Very similar sound to their fellow Atlantians, the Crowes. "Freedom Song" is an instant classic southern rock song. "Leave a Scar", "Restless", "Fire In The Hole"...pretty damn good southern rock songs. The first time I heard "Shakin' Hands With The Holy Ghost", I thought I was hearing a Crowes song I hadn't heard before. I mean, it's not Weedeater, Sourvein or Eyehategod...but those bands scare the fish away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:17 am 

When I saw the Crowes back in '99 in philly, they opened with "Sting Me" and I was blown away at how loud and full it was. It was my first time seeing them live, I just wasn't expected that from this group. They had two brown skinned sisters singing their asses off in the background as well, which definitely rounded out the overall effect in the best way possible. Same show they played two ballads back to back...."Descending" and "Girl from a Pawnshop" and you could hear a pin drop it was emotional. Terrific group...that could of broken up between drugs and friction at any point, but ended up laying down a very solid legacy. They apparently called it "officially over" in '15

edit: I actually found the philly show I went to. It's pretty spotty quality, but cool anyway. I was wrong, they opened with "Remedy", not "Sting me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPPAxY ... tml5=False

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:00 am 

Big Crowes fan, hence my board name. Southern Harmony & Amorica are tops for me. The run between those 2 and Three Snakes were with the best lineup and the most drugs. Marc Ford is a killer guitar player, but struggled w/ addiction. He came back in 2005 and they were at their glory era best on that tour, but left again in 2006 due to temptation on the road. The Robinson bros are great songwriters, but could never get along. Frontman Chris completely ended them by attempting to make his brother Rich & original member/drummer Steve Gorman hired hands, a la Axl w/ GnR back in the day. Consistent badass live band. Might have to pop in one of my old boot shows today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:39 pm 

1997 crowes is best crowes.

and this is a fancy song:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 am 

Been a huge fan since the first record, which is underappreciated these days. Southern Harmony and Amorica are some of the best rock n roll records of my life. No Speak No Slave? Hell yes. I also dig the folk-side of their catalogue. I have seen them live about 6 times and they never disappointed, regardless of line up. I really hope they get back together for some gigs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:09 pm 

Dig the first 2 albums. Too bad band suffered greatly from lead singer Diva complex.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]