Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: any 16 year old stoner rockers at all?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm 

So, i'm 16 myself, but seem to be the only one in my entire city that actually knows of the existence of stoner rock. Whilst chillin' in the woods with myself and a bit off fuzz with bong in hand is great , it doesn't quite account for the lack of relation with one another through this such music. I'm just really into stoner rock and thought it'd be cool to find another person possibly in the same sorta situation for the sake of just being able to appreciate some great music together. Iv'e been to a fair few gigs, black sabbath, mars red sky, belzebong, queens of the stone age, truckfighters, om, - there are many to add to that really (seeing sleep in june). Would be pretty cool to talk to someone in a similar situation, cheers.

Post subject: Re: any 16 year old stoner rockers at all?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:01 am 

Sorry bud, I'm well over 16 and I'd hazard a guess that the average age here isn't far off double yours (or rather more). That said I first landed on The Old Board at about the same age and it was great to find music and chat shit there. Of course that was The Golden Age of Internet stoner rock discussion forum heheh

Age don't mean shit, you an outgoing talking-to-strangers-at-gigs sort? If so you'll soon collect a music posse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:44 am 

I am no where near 16 but your story sounds a bit like me when I was 16. Except there was no Kyuss yet. I had Slayer instead. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:45 am 

Every 16 year old in the world finds they are alone in their tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 am 

Submarine wrote:
I am no where near 16 but your story sounds a bit like me when I was 16. Except there was no Kyuss yet. I had Slayer instead. ;)

Yep, same here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 am 

There's always the internet, man. Just know that you're cooler than your peers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 pm 

Gotta take the plunge and talk to people that look your age at shows.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm 

Yeah, the one's who still have all their hair would be a good indicator for that. Heh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:54 am 

I get hairier and hairier by the year.

Where is it you live?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:03 am 

Man, when I was 16 it was 1984! I was hard into the punk and metal scene. I used to go to shows myself and eventually got in with a regular crowd of like-minded fanatics. I'd go see Misfits/Samhain, Life Sentence, Minor Threat, Black Flag, COC and DRI (when they were punk), MDC, etc. Slayer and Metallica and that whole thrash scene was just evolving. I still listened to Sabbath, Deep Purple, ACDC, Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and was just getting into Motorhead. I used to have to go to record stores to find out about new music and buy albums. It's so much easier to network with like-minded people and discover new music today. I'm assuming you live in a smaller city? If not, you just gotta get to shows. And you may wanna reconsider going down this path? Soon you will have long hair, a beard, a buncha tattoos, a smart-ass girlfriend that smokes like a chimney and cusses like a sailor and kids that listen to electronic shit and tell you your music is old and stupid...ah, hell. I wouldn't trade it for the world! Btw, Some great albums came out the year you were born: Rated R, Dopethrone, Seeds Of Decades, In the Tail of a Comet, Abdullah, ATB2, Ad Astra, The Big Black, etc. I'd say finish school, go off to college (or work) in a different city and hopefully, you will find a better scene? And stay off the drugs...the hard ones anyway. Ha. You have a huge back-catalog to discover...enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

You've already seen awesome shows and you're on the right track. I wish I was so clued in when I was 16. If you have a couple friends you can bring out to gigs and get them hooked, you might be able to build up a scene around that, but even more, I'd say look for young bands where you live, and if you play guitar or anything, put feelers out that way.

In my experience, people who listen to heavy rock, regardless of age, are going to be welcoming so long as we all have that in common. You'll find a place for yourself in the community over the long term. It'll work out. In the meantime, go to as many shows as you can, absorb as much music -- old and new -- as you can, take it all in and take time to appreciate it, because while you'll grow to love many albums and bands over a period of years, you only get one shot at that first exposure. All the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:52 pm 

Quote:
So, i'm 16 myself, but seem to be the only one in my entire city that actually knows of the existence of stoner rock.

Hello, 16 year old me!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 pm 

I was 16 in 1997, and I was definitely the only kid in my school listening to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. I liked Pearl Jam and the Beastie Boys and all that stuff too. And most of my friends were into Hendrix and the Doors and all the cliche stoner classic rock. But really, there is a point where you (in my case unintentionally) separate yourself by opening another door up.

Have to say I had no nose for the contemporary "underground" at that time...I thought Monster Magnet and COC were okay...they got a little radio play. I'd never heard Kyuss or whatever else was going on. I didn't really expand like that until I started picking up samplers.

Also, the internet as it is today did not exist at that time...especially not to me since we didn't have a computer until I was 18. That's kind of a big thing, both for listening and finding like minded individuals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:39 am 

Well done oldies, I think we managed to scare the whippersnapper off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:51 am 

As someone who is 23, I often find I drag down the average age of a room when I go to a concert of Sabbathian ilk. However, the crowds are some of the most amiable and mellow I've been around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:21 am 

A few of my students are in your exact situation. Eventually, some of the people around you will "get it."

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]