Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sold My Entire Music Collection
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 pm 

Over 25 years of collecting, cds, dvds and t shirts. It is sad but cds and dvds are useless now and my family is growing. I actually feel good. I had a lot of rare stuff worth a lot but have no time to sell it all one by one.

Do people still buy cds or dvds?

I had 16 boxes worth of cds.

I actually feel relieved.

All digital. I love the hard copy but just doesn't make sense and my kids will have no idea what a cd is!

Post subject: Re: Sold My Entire Music Collection
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 am 

How many cds were in a box?
Years ago, I got rid of the jewel cases... they don't take much space without the cases.

I'll probably keep my t-shirts forever; they aren't worth anything, but they are probably the only nostalgic things I have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 pm 

Good for you.

For myself nothing gives more entertainment bang for the buck than CDs & LPs. if you care about fidelity, you know retail physical media is top of the audio food chain. I've sold off and later rebought too many times to have another sell-off. If i've got the space to properly store all 4-5K of my CDs & LPs, i will never willingly sell. Due to impending storage limitations, i'm alot pickier about my purchases now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

I have never considered getting rid of my physical music collection, mainly due to the points Mr caps has already illustrated. A move to a new house and more space means I am probably going to start on vinyl if Mrs tossom allows it... I get stick from friends for still buying CDs but I can live with being old fashioned, if my computer dies I am not losing any of my music as I'll have the CDs!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm 

I can't see going strictly digital, because I'm too in love with the physical medium. When I think of digital, still I think of crappy downloads, unreliable "streaming audio" and faceless lists of thousands of tracks of varying quality and volume.

I know that advances in technology and the simple concept of hooking my ipod up to my stereo would solve some of these issues, but I'm just not ready yet. I go over peoples' houses and they muck around in folders on their computer or on some giant screen tv clicking on tracks, and it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like taking a record out of a sleeve or even thumbing through a cd rack.

Of course, if I had a stack of kids, I would probably have to get rid of a lot of this shit. But I also probably wouldn't be sitting around listening to Coroner or Truckfighters at all, on any format, because I'd be too busy cleaning up vomit and spilled Cheerios.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:00 pm 

Ho ho - I've been on a mission to synchronize-up my CD collection with my excel file and MP3 directories .

I will tell you this - hang on to those CDs - in a Container Store box somewhere in your house. Because however many times you think you no longer need the CDs you will never get it right. Plus, there's extras tucked in the CD.

Focus™.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:29 pm 

RalphSnart wrote:
Of course, if I had a stack of kids, I would probably have to get rid of a lot of this shit. But I also probably wouldn't be sitting around listening to Coroner or Truckfighters at all, on any format, because I'd be too busy cleaning up vomit and spilled Cheerios.

Quoted for truth and the Lulz.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:59 pm 

Yes - look over those CDs before getting rid of them. The false assumption is that everything that is on a CD has been transferred to mp3 and that is entirely not true. Coupled with the fact that CDs deteriorate at a much higher rate than consumers were told (we were LIED TO, dammit) you might have some music that is quite rare. Lots of obscure limited release music has actually disappeared as CDs have been sent to the landfill en masse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:16 pm 

I was wondering about this alot lately. To me the general public has no interest in CD's anymore,although DVD's are still popular ,but losing to digital media/MP4 and well Blu Ray is just way better quality. Most DVD's don't seem 1080p to me.

I also have a ton of rap CD's I bought new recently that are still sealed,but I can never seem to get around to them because I'd rather listen to them on Spotify or Youtube. I think I like CD's to collect,they look nice on a shelf and are nostalgic,but definitely not so much to listen. Heck I'd pop in an 8-track tape before putting in a CD on the deck,fact.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm 

In my experience retail "CD rot" is 99.99999% nonsense. Yes, there was a limited run of Classical CDs pressed in Europe in the late 80's that had a manufacturing defect made worse by UV penetration. It was a one-off.

If you care for your retail CDs & LPs properly, they will last a lifetime. I have dozens of CDs purchased in the mid-late 80's that still play perfectly. Many of them fetch high dollar amounts on ebay too. (Not that i'm selling.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:35 pm 

Always should put CD's/vinyls/cassettes back in their cases after use definitely! I get lazy though and don't wanna bother handling the physical formats,but they do sound better than mp3s.

8-track tapes sound awesome too,and don't get some of the hate towards them. I think its because they're notorious for cutting songs in half,inaccurate sequencing,but I was listening to my Sex Pistols 8-track the other night and was surprised at how heavy it sounds. Vinyl has the best sound overall imo.

Listened to my Queen Sheer Heart Attack on cassette too and that shit's Heavy as fuck!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 pm 

CDR burns, mp3 sourced vinyl and mp3 files are lossy & disposable & crap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 am 

Yea none of the CD-R burns I made over ten years ago have lasted(ugh),and some of that stuff was rare like Lost Goat's first album. It's actually better to copy stuff on a cassette tape than CD-R imo.

Mp3s are ok as long as they're recorded in 320kbps,not 128kb. Took me awhile to grasp that actually. A DJ from another station asked me once why some of my podcast archive episodes are in 128. He assumed I was intentionally trying to be lo-fi,but that was due to inexperience. I record mostly in 320kb these days. The reason why the sound quality on Youtube vids are so hit and miss is because some people aren't aware of that. I hear alot of 128kb out there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 pm 

CD-DA, the standard audio CD, is said to have a data rate of 44.1 kHz/16, meaning that the audio data was sampled 44,100 times per second and with a bit depth of 16. CD-DA is also stereo, using a left and right channel, so the amount of audio data per second is double that of mono, where only a single channel is used.

The bit rate of PCM audio data can be calculated with the following formula:

{\displaystyle bit\ rate=sample\ rate\times bit\ depth\times channels} bit\ rate=sample\ rate\times bit\ depth\times channels
For example, the bit rate of a CD-DA recording (44.1 kHz sampling rate, 16 bits per sample and two channels) can be calculated as follows:

{\displaystyle 44,100\times 16\times 2=1,411,200\ \mathrm {bit/s} =1,411.2\ \mathrm {kbit/s} } 44,100\times 16\times 2=1,411,200\ \mathrm {bit/s} =1,411.2\ \mathrm {kbit/s}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

Or simply, audio CDs = 1411kbps. That's alot better than 320.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm 

True dat. LC droppin science on this ish LOL

Ok how much kbps does a good vinyl have? Interesting subject so far. Guess I'll open some of my new rap CD's today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm 

Hmm I dunno though. Actually low bitrates can be ok in certain situations. I've heard 8-track tapes that sound better than audio CDs!!!! Give me the 8-track version of Saturday Night Fever over the CD anyday. I own both and listen to the 8-track more. The bass sounds deeper,warmer,and more organic on the analog version.

To each their own though. I love both lo-fi and hi-fi for different reasons.

cassettes = 90kb to 128kb
vinyl = 400kb to 1000 kb
CD's= 1411 kb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:43 pm 

The SNF OST on original vinyl does sounds amazing. Robert/Bob Ludwig mastered it. (Look for small "RL" initials in the deadwax.) He also mastered Metallica-Ride the Lightning. Stunning job. RL pressings are HIGHLY sought after with audiophile nerds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ludwig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 am 
Site Admin

libertycaps wrote:
If you care for your retail CDs & LPs properly, they will last a lifetime. I have dozens of CDs purchased in the mid-late 80's that still play perfectly. Many of them fetch high dollar amounts on ebay too. (Not that i'm selling.)

Store in a cool, dry place. Words to live by.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

I had a lot of rare stuff, a lot of out of print box sets, some rare horror DVDS and some rare cds. But with my family getting bigger, I have no time to sit down and listen to a cd or vinyl for the next 20 years! The only time I listen to music is when I am driving in a car (new mini van by the way-so metal) or on my commute to work on the train. Space became more important. I loved over all the years going to record shops, online sites and getting stuff in the mail. My life just happened to shift. I would love to one day go back and collect vinyl and I am old school. But this site is all old school music nerds and the average music fan could give a shit less. But my collection went to a true metal collector and he told me he was originally going to sell it off but he decided to keep a lot of it for his personal collection!

Dude-I remember when I was ordering the Kyuss Live cd from Jedd on Metoercity records. He was the first one to have Sleep Jerusalem cd with the Arik Roper artwork. I bought so many mans ruins records from him. Ahhhh-the good old days!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm 

Hey. All good. I've had a few massive CD sell-offs. It felt good for awhile, but that: "Oh shit! Did i really fucking sell my ______-________ CD?" regret started happening PDQ. Music is my one true passion. Kids? "Family?" Meh. Fuck that. Not my thing. I know i'm a freak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
In my experience retail "CD rot" is 99.99999% nonsense. Yes, there was a limited run of Classical CDs pressed in Europe in the late 80's that had a manufacturing defect made worse by UV penetration. It was a one-off.

My understanding is that a large percentage of the 80s release CDs were mastered in a rush to get them on the shelves and should be relegated to the dustbin of time. The Zeppelin Queen(I have the early Queen II CD release and it is atrocious) and especially the Sabbath releases from that era cemented this belief for me.
Tell me where I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

All that stuff is insanely subjective. Just go to the stevehoffman website and read for a few hours for proof. It will make yer head spin/give you a raging migrane too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 am 

libertycaps wrote:
All that stuff is insanely subjective. Just go to the stevehoffman website and read for a few hours for proof. It will make yer head spin/give you a raging migrane too.

+1
If you ever thought you had a music problem, hang out at that place for a while and you'll feel better about yourself. If that doesn't do it, you could waste some time in the Audiogon forums (I haven't been on either site in years).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm 

Heh. Best quality audio source. Best quality audio playback gear i can afford/rationalize. And I'm good. Beyond that? Stupid dick measuring. Working 40+hrs a week every week means time is too precious to waste on that shit anymore. I'd rather be spinning my LPs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next