Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Top Albums of 2015
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am 
Site Admin

The poll is back.

(If you've already submitted on the blog, no need to resubmit here. They go to the same place.)

Post subject: Re: Top Albums of 2015
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:38 am 

Guess I'll start this out.

Thought this year was decent but not one of the stronger years for new music. Loved the Elder and Ufomammut albums. Zombie and Acid King were up there too. Faith No More I really enjoy as long as I don't play it over and over and over. Which I sometimes find myself doing.. Hills and Graveyard helped scratch my classic rock and psych itches this year. Monolord scratched my itch for some nice, thick guitar riffs. Built to Spill is a bit of a black sheep on this list I suppose, but I have always been a fan, though hadn't paid much attention to their new stuff for a while. Returned to them this past year and was pretty pleased with what I heard. I keep wishing for a Perfect From Now On Part 2 but realize that is a pipe dream. Failure, didn't expect to like it but I do. Tempel is some solid instrumental metal and played really well for me while at the gym. After deleting a handful of tracks from my computer, I was able to get into the new Modest Mouse album. I think its their best work since Moon & Antarctica, personally. High on Fire, not sure if I am just played out on them or what because I thought this was maybe their best album since Blessed Black Wings but it also didn't stay in my rotation for too long before I moved on to other stuff. Goatsnake, thought/hoped I would like more. Good but actually not an album I could play on repeat. One listen and move on to something else. Return at later date. Tame Impala, alright album included mostly to get my list to 15.

1. Elder - Lore
2. Ufomammut - Ecate
3. Zombie - Shape Shift
4. Acid King - Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere
5. Faith No More - Sol Invictus
6. Monolord - Vaenir
7. Hills - Frid
8. Graveyard - Innocence & Decadence
9. Built to Spill - Untethered Moon
10. Failure - Heart Is A Monster
11. Tempel - The Moon Lit Our Path
12. Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves
13. High on Fire - Luminferous
14. Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
15. Tame Impala - Currents

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm 

I actually thought it was a pretty good year for heavy music. I tried to base my list on what albums I listened to the most when they came out, as well as, liking the majority of tracks on the album...the start-to-finish strength of the album. I listened to the hell out of my top 6. Witchskull is a new Australian trio that plays simple, heavy rock riffs, but with an intensity that makes it impossible to drive slow to. Singer/gtr player has a good voice and plays good leads. I've been listening to them as much as anyone lately. I agree that Elder was the pinnacle this year. Kind was a nice late addition. All Them Witches and Failure were on the mellower side but totally captivating albums. I am also a shameless, thrash metal fan and the new Slayer was better than anything they've done since Divine Intervention (21 years ago!). Uli John Roth was my unexpected surprise...new versions of those old Scorpions songs, from when they were a great, heavy, blues rock band. Bands like Ape Machine and Heavy Eyes continue to put out excellent hard rock...and the new Clutch was one I went back and forth on. I finally settled on it being pretty damn good! I liked the new Tempel and Ufomammut but there were a couple songs on each one that didn't really hold my interest. Special mention to new albums by Atomic Bitchwax, Mutoid Man and Pentagram...all solid albums just outside of my list. Also, in all fairness, I just got the new Egypt- "Endless Flight". Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Here's my list:

1. Elder-Lore
2. VHOL-Deeper Than Sky
3. Failure-The Heart is a Monster
4. All Them Witches-Dying Surfer Meets His Maker
5. Witchskull-The Vast Electric Dark
6. Faith No More-Sol Invictus
7. Clutch-Psychic Warfare
8. Slayer-Repentless
9. Intronaut-The Direction of Last Things
10. Kind-Rocket Science
11. Monolord-Vaenir
12. Snail-Feral
13. Valkyrie-Shadows
14. Stoned Jesus-Harvest
15. Goatsnake-Black Age Blues
16. High On Fire-Luminiferous
17. Uli John Roth-Scorpions Revisited
18. Ape Machine-Coalition of the Unwilling
19. The Heavy Eyes-He Dreams of Lions
20. Arrowhead-Desert Cult Ritual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 am 

Here's my Top 25, as published in the swedish Close-Up Magazine:

1. HIGH ON FIRE - Luminiferous
2. CLUTCH - Psychic Warfare
3. ACID KING - Middle Of Nowhere, Center Of Everywhere
4. ROYAL THUNDER - Crooked Doors
5. WINDHAND - Grief's Infernal Flower
6. BARONESS - Purple
7. RIWEN - The Cold
8. SPELLJAMMER - Ancient Of Days
9. IRON MAIDEN - The Book Of Souls
10. HOODED MENACE - Darkness Drips Forth

11. TRIBULATION - The Children Of The Night
12. GOBLIN REBIRTH - Goblin Rebirth
13. TORCHE - Restarter
14. KYLESA - Exhausting Fire
15. WEEDEATER - Goliathan
16. GORGOROTH - Instinctus Bestialis
17. BELL WITCH - Four Phantoms
18. MOLOKEN - All Is Left To See
19. MUTOID MAN - Bleeder
20. THIS GIFT IS A CURSE - All Hail The Swinelord
21. SUNN O))) - Kannon
22. GALVANO - Trail Of The Serpent
23. THE SHRINE - Rare Breed
24. MILLENCOLIN - True Brew
25. RAM - Svbversvm

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:50 pm 

1. Clutch - Psychic Warfare
2. Graveyard - Innocence & Decadence
3. Atomic BitchWax - Gravitron
4. Orchid - Sign of the Witch
5. Marvel - The Hills have Eyes
6. White Reaper - White Reaper Does it again
7. Collen Green - I Want to Grow up
8. Bison Machine - Hoarfrost
9. Baron - Torpor
10. Metz - II
11. Jeff the Brotherhood - Global Chakra Rhythms
12. Gentlemans Pistols - Hustler's Row
13. Parlor Mob - Cry Wolf
14. Uncle Acid - Night Creeper
15. 1886 - Before the Fog Covers the Mount
16. Ape Machine - Coalition of the Unwilling
17. Nervosas - Nervosas
18. Royal Headache - High
19. Leeches of Lore - Motel of Infinity
20. High on Fire - Luminiferous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:51 pm 

Forgot about that Atomic Bitchwax album. I definitely liked that one a good deal, enough to knock Tame Impala off my list and a handful of the others down a slot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:02 am 

++20) High On Fire - Luminiferous
They're basically getting a pass because I love the band's past efforts. Much better than their last one, and they've shown some growth and variety on this record, though....it feels nowhere as vital as those first two records, or even Death Is This Communion.

19) The Sword - High Country
This is a fun record, and I like it a lot better than any of their other material. I hope they make more records like this, as their sound and focus has deviated a lot from album to album. With High Country, they've definitely hit my sweet spot.

18) Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - The Night Creeper
Another great record from these guys, and a great juxtaposition of riffs and hooks.

17) Disappears - Irreal
Eh, I'm going to pull the generic "I like their early stuff better". I LOVED their second album so much. Still, this is a weird, dark post-punk masterpiece.

16) Monolord - Vaenir
They pull this sound off well. They manage to simultaneously pay tribute to their influences without sounding specifically like a ripoff of any one band. Kudos for that!

15) Acid King - Middle Of Nowhere, Center Of Everything.
Truly hideously awful artwork aside, this album smokes. It's a pleasant surprise that after all these years, they've still got it!

14) Mikal Cronin - MCIII
I wanted to like this record more, I really did. His last record was flawless and brilliant, combining sugar sweet melodies with sun-baked punk immediacy. While the songs are good, it just lacks the same urgency.

13) Tallest Man On Earth - Dark Bird Is Home
This guy just continues to hone his craft. The perfect blend of Dylan and Nick Drake, heartbreaking and poignant. Though I loved his early stripped down sound, the expanded instrumentation and arrangements really suits his songwriting.

12) Valkyrie - Shadows
I like this record best out of their works. How one stellar solo blends into the next is mind-blowing. The perfect production is what really makes those leads jump out. Wicked.

11) Rose Windows - Rose Windows
Shit. If you're going to go out, go out on top of your game like these guys and gals. A great follow up to their debut, it's a real shame that it will be there last....

10) Torche - Restarter
Indeed. It's a really good record....and while I appreciate their "back to our roots" approach, it's not hitting me in the same way as the last two records did. I'm all for following your muses no matter where they take you, and that's why I'm simultaneously doubtful and respectful when a band decides to make a record reminiscent of their earlier works when their recent output has been so much more forward thinking, in my mind at least. Hey, hopefully they got this out of their system....

9) Kurt Vile - I B'lieve I'm Goin Down
Ugh. It's an artist's curse to be judged by fan and critic alike based on your prior works. This is a superb album, and much like Mikal Cronin's, it just doesn't measure up to his last. Nor does this clean, deliberate, well produced record sound ANYTHING like the lo-fi weirdness of the first couple, which brought him onto many peoples' collective radars. I'd love to see him find a way for those two aspects of his sound co-exist.

8) Ecstatic Vision - Sonic Praise
Man....what a trip. Definitely the debut of the year for me. It's like Hawkwind and early Monster Magnet having a love child in my eardrums. Honestly though, I'd have ranked it higher if I'd never read the lyrics. Dude....it's 2015. There ain't anything subversive anymore about smoking the reefer. Good luck on your sophomore album, ditch the drug schtick and focus more on the spiritual aspects that your lyrics touch on. My 3 cents, take 'em or leave 'em.

7) Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
Man....what another trip. Talk about lyrics!! Josh Tilman really lets it all hang out there, waxing poetic about his lovely wife, but also about being a drunken asshole and a bad husband. Hey, we've all got our faults. At least he makes killer albums like this one, and his lyrical skills are a big reason why this succeeds. The title track is both gorgeous and heartbreaking. Dig it!

6) Fuzz - Fuzz II
It's a thing: some bands bust out of the gates with a killer debut. Some of those bands inevitably succumb to the dreaded Sophomore Slump. For a number of reasons, Fuzz ain't fallin' down that trap....First, these guys are all veterans. Ty Segall is extremely prolific, and it's been awhile since he's had a clunker. Secondly, they really bring the psychedelic, way more than on the first record. Thirdly, listen to those riffs and gonzo whammied leads!! It's the perfect amalgamation of Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, and The Ramones. This is the pretty much the second record that I wish Witch had made when they decided to "embrace their punk roots."

5) Kadavar - Berlin
Man....any of these top five could have been the #1 for me. They're all bands who had a distinctive musical identity on their first works, combining a powerful sound with captivating songwriting. All five of these bands managed to navigate a crucial growth spurt, riding a wave towards redefinition in that perfect musical moment.

With that pretext out of the way, Kadavar chart five for two reasons: firstly, this is only their third record, while every other band has had the time to navigate and fine tune their experimentations a bit more. Secondly, there's nothing particularly experimental about Berlin at all. Despite how much they've widened the influences they're drawing on in terms of songwriting, the sound itself is still unabashedly retro and firmly traditional. There are no weak links here, I'm just personally drawn to the more experimental side of things.

4) The Soft Moon - Deeper
Man....deeper indeed. The Soft Moon really scratch my post-punk itch in an abrasive way. Imagine a darker version of The Cure, a more psychedelic Joy Division, an even more atmospheric Depeche Mode. That's the kind of fire we're playing with here, a deep, dark fire that consumes anything and everything in its musical wake.

3) Kylesa - Exhausting Fire
Man....speaking of fire. Kylesa have flirted with more melodic, psychedelic, and post-punk elements over their last three releases, all the while staying true to their riff based roots. This is the album that knocks it out of the park. They trim the fat, writing concise songs that cover a lot of ground, and they're constantly throwing curve balls with softer dynamics and duel vocals. I'd have loved to have given them the #1, or even the number two spot, but....

2) Baroness - Purple
Man....talk about the dignity of risk. Baroness have been the critical darlings with the Decibel crowd for awhile now, and they totally spit in the face of that image by releasing their latest album mid December, when a lot of critics' lists are already cemented in stone and sent to press. That's a bold, confident move, and they've got the chops to back it up. I'd foretold that their previous double-colored effort was a transitional album, and I'm glad that my prediction came to pass. Purple is everything that I could have dreamed it to be, a more streamlined effort that combined the experimentation and melody of Green and Yellow with the heavier aesthetic of Blue and Red. In a lot of ways, I'd like this to be my #1 because of its daring nature, but....

1) Failure - The Heart Is A Monster
Man....in a year full of comeback albums, this is the comeback album of the year. It's hard to believe that they pulled this off after such a long hiatus. It's even harder to believe that they pulled off an album that in my book rivals Fantastic Planet. It's the logical follow up. It's also mesmerizing to think about how a three piece creates this heavy and thick of a sound....it's honestly not guitar heavy. The huge bass and dynamic drumming is laying it down and giving the guitar plenty of room for atmosphere, while the vocals are weaving those webs of hooks and melodies. Damn....this shit is sexy!! Perhaps I'm biased because I saw them pull this off flawlessly live. So be it, that speaks even more to their credit; it's not solely a matter of studio magic.

Honorable mentions - a "nice swing" goes out to veterans Goatsnake, Clutch, Graveyard, Elder (weird thinking of them as vets....) and All Them Witches (who I am just starting to gain some appreciation for.) Bask also put out a hell of a debut, and deserves a nod here.

Biggest disappointments go out to Ufomammut, who failed for me in a big way with lackluster riffs and uninspired songwriting. Similarly, With The Dead failed to live up to the hype for me....yeah, it sounds like Electric Wizard crossed with Cathedral, minus all the great things that make those two bands stand apart from the maddening crowd. Third, Brothers Of The Sonic Cloth. Really??? This is Tad Doyle's band??? This bored the shit out of me, and Tad never did that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:32 am 

Can't Feel My Face
Beauty Behind the Madness · 2015

Lean On
Peace Is the Mission · 2015

Stitches
Handwritten · 2015

Adventure Of A Lifetime
A Head Full of Dreams · 2015

Locked Away (feat. Adam Levine)
What Dreams Are Made Of · 2015

Hotline Bling

On My Mind
Delirium · 2015

Love Me Like You Do
Delirium · 2015

The Hills [Explicit]

Hello
25 · 2015

Like I'm Gonna Lose You
Title · 2015

Want To Want Me
Everything Is 4 · 2015

Songs/
Can't Feel My Face

Lean On
Peace Is the Mission · 2015

Stitches
Handwritten · 2015

Adventure Of A Lifetime
A Head Full of Dreams · 2015

Locked Away (feat. Adam Levine)
What Dreams Are Made Of · 2015

Hotline Bling

On My Mind
Delirium · 2015

Love Me Like You Do
Delirium · 2015

The Hills [Explicit]

Hello
25 · 2015

Like I'm Gonna Lose You
Title · 2015

Want To Want Me
Everything Is 4 · 2015

Where Are Ü Now
Skrillex and Diplo Present Jack Ü · 2015

El Perdón
La chanson de l'année 2015 Vol.2 · 2015

See You Again
Nine Track Mind · 2015

Little More (Royalty)
Royalty · 2015

Drag Me Down
Made in the A.M. · 2015

In the Night

Sorry

Marvin Gaye
Some Type of Love · 2015

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:30 am 

I'll bite.

Putting this list together was difficult. I usually attack it first by thinking off the bat what I liked, and the first 7 came easy, the back 8 not so much. And that's a kind of indicator of how this year has struck me.

Really, I listened to Colour Haze the most this year.

15) Caustic Casanova - Breaks
14) Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
13) Snail - Feral
12) Sahara Surfers - Highlands
11) Cult Leader - Lightless Walk
10) Khemmis - Absolution
9) Stoned Jesus - The Harvest
8) Battling Giants - Birth / Death / Reckoning
7) Monolord - Vaenir
6) Weeed - Our Guru Brings Us to the Black Master Sabbath
5) Black Space Riders - Refugeeum
4) Turbowolf - Two Hands
3) Kadavar - Berlin
2) Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
1) Belzebong - Greenferno

Belzebong gets the nod for top spot because when I was buying new headphones I used Greenferno to check the sound. That tone, man.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:03 am 

I'd say the first 5 are pretty much in order, but these all got heavy repeats this year:

Kowloon Walled City - Grievances
Dorthia Cottrell - s/t
High On Fire - Luminiferous
Crypt Sermon - Out Of The Garden
FUZZ - II
Acid King - Middle Of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere
Adversarial - Death, Endless Nothing And The Black Knife Of Nihilism
Bell Witch - Four Phantoms
Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
Graveyard - Innocence & Decadence
Horrendous - Anareta
Implodes - Reverser
Mondo Drag - s/t
Monster Magnet - Cobras And Fire: Mastermind Redux
Swervedriver - I Wasn't Born To Lose You
Torche - Restarter
Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower
Enslaved - In Times
Sumac The Deal
VHOL - Deeper Than Sky

Most honorable mentions beyond the first 20:
Swans - The Gate (live crowd funding release)
Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
The Tallest Man On Earth - Dark Bird Is Home
Houndmouth - Little Neon Limelight
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
Six Organs Of Admittance - Hexadic
Sir Richard Bishop - Tangier Sessions
Tarot - The Warrior's Spell (albeit a compilation of previous releases)
Bert Jansch - Avocet (exceptionally well-done reissue)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 am 

1. Minsk – The Crash and the Draw
2. Abyssal – Antikatastaseis
3. Tempel – The Moon Lit Our Path
4. Panopticon – Autumn Eternal
5. High on Fire - Luminiferous
6. VHOL – Deeper Than Sky
7. Clutch – Psychic Warfare
8. Baroness - Purple
9. Sons of Huns – While Sleeping, Stay Awake
10. With the Dead – S/t
11. Lychgate – An Antidote for the Glass Pill
12. Nechochwen – Heart of Akamon
13. Krallice – Ygg Huur
14. Monolord - Vaenir
15. Bad Guys – Bad Guynaecology
16. Crypt Sermon – Out of the Garden
17. Steve Von Till – A Life Unto Itself
18. Pinkish Black – Bottom of the Morning
19. Amorphis – Under the Red Cloud
20. Graveyard – Innocence & Decadence

Honorable mentions: Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss; Marriages - Salome; and Khemmis - Absolution. The Khemmis album would've been in my top 10, but the growled vocals were laughably bad even by metal standards. Huge fucking potential with that band though. YUUUUUUGGGEEE!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Poll closed, results shortly. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:49 pm 

It's super late but here is my list.

1. Elder – Lore
2. Ufomammut – Ectate
3. Spelljammer – Ancient of Days
4. Ecstatic Vision – Sonic Praise
5. Colour Haze – To The Highest Gods We Know
6. Goatsnake – Black Age Blues
7. Acid King – Middle of Nowhere, Middle of Everywhere
8. Kadavar – Berlin
9. Mammoth Storm – Fornjot
10. Wiegedood - De Doden Hebben Het Goed
11. Torche – Restarter
12. Windhand – Grief’s Infernal Flower
13. Sumac – The Deal
14. Rosetta – Quintessential Ephemera
15. High on Fire – Luminiferous
16. The Atomic Bitchwax – Gravitron
17. Blackout – Blackout
18. Chrch – Unanswered Hymns
19. Serial Hawk – Searching For Light
20. Clutch – Psychic Warfare
21. Monolord – Vænir
22. Mondo Drag – Mondo Drag
23. All Them Witches – Dying Surfer Meets His Maker
24. Domkraft – Domkraft
25. Moon Curse – Spirit Remains
26. Ahab – The Boats of the Glen Carrig
27. Deafheaven – New Bermuda
28. Keeper – The Space Between Your Teeth
29. With The Dead – With The Dead
30. Blacklisted – When People Grow, People Go

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:06 pm 

I'm seriously shocked and appalled that I did not see HORISONT'S 'ODYSSEY' on ANYONE's list. Are you kidding me??? Not only is this HANDS DOWN the best album of 2015...it's one of the BEST albums to come out in a looooooooooong time by any heavy band...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:24 pm 

And the Top Albums of 2015 are...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am 

1. Grimes-Art Angels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

If you're looking for the result of the poll, it's on the blog.

http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2016/01/01/top-20-of-2015-readers-poll-results/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:02 pm 

Gaia wrote:
10) Khemmis - Absolution

Just now getting hip to this one. Strikes me as a proggy-in-that-recent-Enslaved way mixed with the whole neo-Sleep riff worship. Exceptionally well executed for a debut. Loving the vocals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:27 am 

I'm a little late on this 2015 release, but I am loving Magic Circle - Journey Blind.
Classic metal!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:27 pm 

just found
Phantom Winter-CVLT
sick doom/sludge

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]