Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Baseball 2016
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 pm 

Not 2016......yet...but the 2015 season is now over and done with so seemed appropriate to start the new thread. So...

Hot stove season....when baseball is the most fun to talk about. Lots of sexy names out there, should be an exciting offseason. I really, really, really want the Mets to shock the world and go all in on Jayson Heyward. All the columnists/reporters are making crazy contract estimates for him (like more than $150 million) which does make me a nervous but I think he would be an awesome fit with the Mets. His defense would be a great compliment to that pitching staff, he has a solid bat with the potential to be so much more, and he's still young(ish). Thank you Mr. Cespedes for everything you gave the Mets last year and enjoy the next contract you get because of it, I just hope it isn't with the Mets. I want Heyward.

And this has to be the year someone accepts their qualifying order, right? Colby Rasmus is my bet. Maybe Samardzjia? Kennedy?

Post subject: Re: Baseball 2016
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:37 am 

RIP Tommy Hanson. 29 years old. WTF? He was apparently troubled by losing a younger brother recently.

And Jose Reyes gets popped for spousal abuse. Rough day for MLB.

The trade rumors site projects no one will accept their QO. Something like 20 players, that's a huge amount of players, so it's shaping up to be a pretty big offseason.

The Twins win the posting bid for some South Korean 1B stud. Kind of an out-of-character move for them.

"General Manager Meetings" are happening in Boca Raton until Thursday. Winter Meetings are scheduled for December 7-10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:15 pm 

If I am Rasmus, I'd have already accepted that offer. I really don't think he is that good and to get an offer for 1 yr, $15? I suppose power sells, and he plays a premium position, but I would hate for my team to be the one to give him the contract that makes him feel good about rejecting his offer.

I definitely understand why the others would reject their offers, but also see a case for why they could/would accept it.

And RIP Tommy Hanson. Sad.

International free agents seem to be the "value" grabs these days. Worked out quite well for Pittsburgh last year, another small budget team. This guy has intriguing power if it can translate in America, which is definitely no sure thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:13 pm 

Seattle starting hot stove season off with a bang, first the 6 player trade with TB and now......close to a deal with Chris Iannetta. Looks like they are collecting catchers allergic to hitting even .200. I guess he knows how to work a count and take a walk, which probably fits Dipoto's approach to constructing a team, but there's no disguising sub-200 BA's, IMO. I used to be an Iannetta fan, but that was like 30 years ago now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:17 pm 

I don't doubt that Seattle will become the place where old Angels players go to die now. Just like we were the Brewer's old folks home under Jack Z.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:25 pm 

Ha, I missed that Anaheim connection.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:25 pm 

Andrelton Simmons traded to Anaheim, Atlanta reportedly gets Anaheim's top 2 prospects. Very interesting trade. Atlanta has collected a ton of intriguing young arms, Anaheim gets the best defensive SS in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:15 pm 

I saw that the M's traded a couple minor leaguers for Joquin Benoit. I don't know how many years they'll have him or what they gave up, but seems like a good move. They didn't have many (any) solid vet relievers last year, although Wilhelmsen came around after they were well out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:19 pm 

So the M's get Benoit for a year, giving up minor league IF and righty pitcher, hadn't heard of either guy. I guess it's okay, as they're dealing in a bit of a position of strength as far as their pitching goes. Or at least that's what we're being told.

Adam, you were right out Colby Rasmus. He is going to accept his QO. I hadn't really thought about his situation, but he probably couldn't have beat it, as he finally seemed to be in a comfortable place in Houston after wearing out his welcomes in St. Louis and Toronto.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 pm 

the braves asked the mets form either harvey or degromm for simmons lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:33 am 

I read Braves asked for any of the 4 young Mets SP. Either way, I wouldn't part with any of them for Simmons either. If Atlanta would have added another piece to the package, like a younger/cheaper mid-rotation SP, I'd have considered Martz.

Dumbrowski making his first mark in Boston and acquiring Kimbrel for SD for 4 prospects. And Brett Anderson joining Colby Rasmus in accepting his qualifying offer. Now that a couple guys have finally accepted, it'll be interesting to see how things play out in the future. Will teams start being a little more conservative in extending such offers, will other players begin feeling more comfortable accepting them?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 pm 

The first big free agent is off the board with Jordan Zimmermann signing a five year $110 MM deal with Detroit. The signing by itself doesn't seem unreasonable, but for the Tigers it really doesn't make a lot of sense. They're gonna need a lot of big pieces to contend again and they won't have enough cash to do it. They seemingly want to spend a ton of cash to end up being a fourth or fifth place team in that division.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:58 am 

I don't think the Tigers are that bad. I don't think of them as contenders but with a rebound year from Sanchez and Verlander, an offense fronted by Miguel Cabrera and JD Martinez and with guys like Kinsler, Costellanos, Maybin finding ways to earn their keep, I could see them battling it out for 2nd place in that division.

I also think that is in a grey area where they are too good to be able to tank but not good enough to be a contender. Might as well throw a some more dollars at some guys and cross your fingers hoping for some great luck and a wild card.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 pm 

Price to Boston for 7 years, $217 with an opt out clause after 3 years. Biggest deal to pitcher ever.

Baltimore trades for Mark Trumbo. Kind of a poor mans Chris Davis?

Zobrist is apparently the Mets #1 target. I think he's nice but I don't want the Mets to invest 4 years for a 35 year old, personally, which is what he is apparently seeking and will probably get given how much interest there is in him. I still want the Mets to go in on Heyward. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Zack Wheeler for Carlos Gonzalez type trade either from them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 pm 

what makes people think that the tigers wont contend? they have held that division down for years and they are still an excellent team. i could actually see them or the twins win that division. it depends on if kc stays hungry or not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:32 pm 

Adam wrote:
Seattle starting hot stove season off with a bang, first the 6 player trade with TB and now......close to a deal with Chris Iannetta. Looks like they are collecting catchers allergic to hitting even .200. I guess he knows how to work a count and take a walk, which probably fits Dipoto's approach to constructing a team, but there's no disguising sub-200 BA's, IMO. I used to be an Iannetta fan, but that was like 30 years ago now.

They got Clevinger. Last guy he was traded for ended up winning a cy young.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:41 pm 

Arizona steals Greinke away from LA and SF. Pretty shocking to see him going to AZ, IMO Also a huge investment at $34 million a year, $206 million total. Everyone seems to be talking AZ up this offseason, saying they have a nice lineup but need pitching. Grienke helps the pitching front but don't think 1 pitcher solves the riddle for them.

SF goes out and nabs Samardzija for 5 years, $90. Lots of money for someone who pretty terrible last year. That said, he seems like the type of guy who will go to SF and prosper.

Now who does LA get to replace Greinke? Cueto? A trade?

A little below the radar given all the attention to the top tier guys but Pittsburgh released Pedro Alvarez. I want to see Colorado grab him and see how many home runs he can manage playing half his games in Denver. In what is going to be a long, lost season for the Rockies that would at least be fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:12 pm 

i could see a matt harvey for yasiel puig and a prospect go down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:39 pm 

I hope not. I wouldn't want puiig if he came for free

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 pm 

why? because of what the dodgers say about him? huis of the field issues can be attributed to his team mates being douchebags.like when he got in grienkes face it was because grienke took his stuff off the bus and threw it across the parking lot. hes the type of guy that needs a fresh start with a team that will let him be himself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:19 pm 

The D-Backs signing of Greinke is pretty shocking, but I guess it really shouldn't be considering how competitive Dave Steward and Tony LaRussa are. They must have convinced the ownership that their window to win was right now. I guess it's a tough argument to deny because LA and their money aren't ever going to go away and at some point the Giants are going to stop winning championships. That's gonna be a hell of a division to watch.

Speaking of which, the Samardzija deal was also a bit out of the blue, but the Giants do have a good reputation of getting the most out of their pitchers. It'll be interesting to see where Lincecum lands and how he ultimately ends up doing. They paid Lincecum $35 MM over the last two years, which is essentially the same per-year Samardzija is getting, so that should at least be an improvement for them.

Darren O'Day going back to Baltimore and Chase Utley back to the Dodgers. The Dodgers are apparently on the verge of making a trade for Adrolis Chapman. I guess the Winter Meetings are this week and usually a lot of things go down there (I remember watching MLB Network live when Pujols signed with Anaheim and Fielder signed with Detroit the next year). Things should definitely be happening this week. Sounds like Puig is a goner in Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:18 pm 

Yes, because of everything that has been reported about him from the team to the media.
I think he would destroy that clubhouse/organization in NY. As if the Mets need any more help with that, having the Wilpons is enough. I absolutely hate Puig and do not want him near them. Even as a Met, I don't think I could not hate him.

Chapman to LAD is flashy, but if you are gonna go all in on a closer he is the one too do it for. For both baseball and marketing reasons. LAD close to signing Iwakuma. Solid signing but not going to be able replace Greinkes production with just him. If they trade for Chapman I'd have to imagine any other SP would have to come from the free agent pool? They'd be crazy to give up all the prospects that it would take for 2 front line pitchers when they have the budget to simply buy some SP like Cueto.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm 

Wow, wtf. The M's trade Roenis Elias and Carson Smith for Wade Miley. Talk about shitting the bed, I wouldn't trade either of those players for Miley straight up! The Dipoto regime isn't looking too promising either...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 pm 

Don't know anything about the guys Seattle gave up but when I first heard about this deal I thought that Miley was a decent buy low option. Guess they didn't buy all that low?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:05 am 

Mets lose out on Ben Zobrist and go to plan B and nab Neil Walker and Asdrubel Cabrera. Glad the Mets didn't go 4 years to Zobrist and always liked Walker but not too excited about this plan B either. Not a bad move if its not their end game though, I just worry that it is. I still want Heyward in NY. Cargo woudn't be a bad fall back either.

Looks lik the Chapman to LAD trade fell through after the allegations against him.

Chris Davis offered $150 million from Baltimore. Supposedly looking to break $200 million.

Shelby Miller to Arizone for what sounds like an insane haul. Apparently Darby Swanson, last years #1 overall draft pick, could have arguably been considered a fair package. On top of that Atlanta also got AZ's best pitching prospect and a young, cheap MLB outfielder who pulled off a better WAR than Miller last year.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next