Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Zombi band thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 am 

The show last night was great. Some mindblowing drumming. The set list was basically the same although they snuck in Orion at the end. Thoroughly satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:06 am 

How was Boot & Saddle JK? That is an old school place in South Philly. I think I remember going there when I was barely 21 back in the day. It used to be like a country/punk music bar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 am 

Boot & Saddle was renovated and reopened in the last year or two. It's a long, narrow space with a back room for bands. The room is not the greatest because it's long and narrow but the sound has been good the 2 times I've been there. It's also a ten minute walk from my house. Unfortunately, they mostly get indie rock bands that I don't care about, but it's a great spot for me on the rare occasions when bands that I like play there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:46 pm 

I saw them last Friday in Detroit. I couldn't believe how awesome Steve Moore's bass playing was on "Mission Creep". And his tone. Fantastic.

I saw them play in Chicago a couple of years ago and they played Night Rhythms. It was as good as you might expect. On, they played Infinity, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:40 pm 

This album is forcing me to re-evaluate my thoughts on these guys. Been listenting to this non-stop since getting my copy and it is easily a Top 5, probably Top 3. album of '15 for me. Which of their other albums got the bass?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:05 pm 

Surface To Air is their other one with some absolutely monster bass playing. Cosmos also has a lot of great bass on it. I love all of their stuff, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:25 am 

Adam, what hochi said....Surface to Air is their best album, and the most comparable to the new one. imho, These guys might be the best progressive music song writers...of all time.
Their album Spirit Animal is up there for me too. It's the most 70s Yes worship of their catalog...also 70s Genesis and Floyd too. If you like that era, check it out as well. Not sure if you are into electronic stuff....like say Boards of Canada or even Gary Numan, their last album before Shape Shift, "Escape Velocity", is sort of dance/heavy club music for stoner/somewhat smart people, still prog though.

And I still think I like Steve Moore's solo albums even more than Zombi, and that's saying something.

Mr Red, you make it back from Texas ok? How was the horror fest?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:14 am 

I had tried out Surface to Air a while back when first discovering Zombi but never was able to get into it. Per the suggestion, I did just give it another go-round and am finding it far more enjoyable. Think I will try re-visiting their other stuff too.

Spirit Animal was my intro Zombi and it just never clicked for me. I am on Spotify now listening to it (just started) and I think its clicking a little more now than it did initially, when it just didn't hold my interest. I am also somewhat familiar with Escape Velocity but that never did anything for me. I will re-visit that one but I don't really dig the whole concenpt/style, i.e. dance/heavy club music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 am 

Yeah, not to suggest it's like techno, etc....but Escape Velocity def has an almost danceable beat to it. Not for everyone...I myself much prefer their bass and heavier synth stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm 

Yeah, I'm back from the festival. It was about a week ago this time I was actually watching Zombi.

Their set and the festival as a whole was phenomenal. I'm pretty sure Steve waved at me from the stage, which was cool. They started with technical problems, so they lost probably a song or two from their set, but the crowd called for more, but they couldn't continue due to the tight and busy schedule. They were in great spirits, which I deduced to finishing a successful tour. Really positive feelings after this set.

I'll probably do a write-up of the festival over the holiday. Been too busy since coming back.

Surface to Air is seemingly everybody's favorite album, but I think Spirit Animal is every bit as strong. I would hop someday they'll bring aboard a guitar player for live performances so those songs can be brought to life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:46 pm 

Cosmos
Surface To Air
Spirit Animal
Twilight Sentinel
Escape Velocity

that was the order up to now. not sure where the new one figures in but it's up there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:06 am 

The 00's Relapse albums are definitely where it's at for me, but I can say that from a live perspective people really react positively to all the direct bass/drums interplay on the new album.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:43 pm 

Hey Dnice, I found a short article about the Providence show, with several photos:

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/photo-set-pinkish-black-zombi-columbus-theatre-relapse-records/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 am 

FYI, randomly came across Zombi Midwest/East Coast tour dates in May for folks interested

Look towards bottom of their band camp page

https://zombi.bandcamp.com/album/shape-shift

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 am 

Mr Red wrote:
Hey Dnice, I found a short article about the Providence show, with several photos:

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/photo-set-pinkish-black-zombi-columbus-theatre-relapse-records/

Red, thanks for that link by the way...still think very very fondly of that night. Really cool intimate venue in Providence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:22 am 

Dnice wrote:
FYI, randomly came across Zombi Midwest/East Coast tour dates in May for folks interested

Look towards bottom of their band camp page

https://zombi.bandcamp.com/album/shape-shift

I'm hoping they do a West Coast tour around Psycho Vegas. In fact, I'm holding out on going to that (kind of overkill in a douchey/expensive way) to see how many acts end up touring the west that are playing that. If they are, I'd like to hit multiple shows. Their set at the Housecore Horror Fest was too short for me, and I was a bit burnt after the previous two days of the fest.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2