Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: the return of stonerrock.com & all that's heavy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm 

This is happening, I guess? Who's got the lowdown?

Post subject: Re: the return of stonerrock.com & all that's heavy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 am 

All That's Heavy never went away. Dan sold it to a gent in Houston. Dan moved the whole store down there right before Harvey hit and there was a risk of the new guy getting flooded completely, but he apparently averted any serious flooding.

The new owner (I think his name is Casey) has been promising on Facebook a return of sr.com on 4/20. He actually seems to be pretty active in the local Houston scene; he sets up a merch table when bands come through town and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:17 pm 

I've known about the old site coming back for a month now. Someone named Spacetrucker told me recently. He emails me from time to time.

I just hope the new site will be cool ,and mellow/drama free like this site. I'm just bored of message boards in general,just so sick of the dumb pretentious wiseass characters that inhabit them,they all seem the same really. I have much better things to do now. This is like the only message board I check on the reg basis.

I'll bring back Stonerrockchick.com soon. Remember that site? lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 am 

Crazy. I wish the new person/people good luck. I only knew about it because I got an email asking me to renew my registration to a "new" allthatisheavy.com. I assumed the store had been defunct for years, but maybe they just did a refresh? I checked it out and I saw that if you go to stonerrock.com there's a countdown clock that hits zero on 4/20, like you said.

Anyway, thanks for the details, Mr. Red. It'll be interesting to see if enough people even care.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 pm 

I heard it's mostly Ska Music now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm 

Will there be Punch & Pie ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm 

No, but there will be a pie punching contest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 pm 

Good luck to the new owner. That said, 98% of my CD/LP buying has been via ebay or discogs for the past 4-5 years.

Soap box time: And music discussion has died because there's little to no sincere passion by Millennials for music anymore. It's free to them. It's like wallpaper. It's like crap mainstream television. There's no skin in the game. Millennial snowflakes are still passionate about food (veggie, vegan, free range, etc.), their smart phones and their clothes/hair dye/make-up because those are things they still have to pay for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:46 pm 

"Hey, Millennial—get off my lawn!"

You sound OLD, liversnaps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:19 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
Good luck to the new owner. That said, 98% of my CD/LP buying has been via ebay or discogs for the past 4-5 years.

Soap box time: And music discussion has died because there's little to no sincere passion by Millennials for music anymore. It's free to them. It's like wallpaper. It's like crap mainstream television. There's no skin in the game. Millennial snowflakes are still passionate about food (veggie, vegan, free range, etc.), their smart phones and their clothes/hair dye/make-up because those are things they still have to pay for.

don't forget craft beer lolzzz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 pm 

^Tru dat. Lolz.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:05 pm 

XrecaR wrote:
"Hey, Millennial—get off my lawn!"

You sound OLD, liversnaps.

Oh, the sentiment definitely sounds like an old man bitching... except the verdict is unanimous. Even millennials can't stand millennials. They're the fucking WORST.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 pm 

I met Casey when I went to a music fest in Houston in Oct... he seemed alright to me. It was too loud to really have a conversation, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 am 

He and the mrs still live in Texas somewhere or did they move? I thought I saw something about him moving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm 

Denver ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

Way off base from this millennial's perspective. Most people would rather just put on the radio or Pandora and be pandered to, and that's been the case throughout the history of popular music. Music has always been free to the unenthused. If you are actually taking advantage of exploring all the music that's digitally available, it's probably because you ARE passionate about it.

I know you all have personal experience with this, because I was far from the only young person mercilessly grilling you for musical knowledge back on the thee olde forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 am 

^Fair play. There are exceptions, of course.
But ask yourself: Bands from what generation(s) are most likely to sell out stadiums?

Maybe music discussion forums are less active due to Gen X'ers just bored/getting lazy about it?
That said, there are still a handful of very active music and/or audio discussion forums.
Specific drug Rock type music ones? Not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:30 pm 

There's definitely a trade off between the old model where a smaller number of huge acts could galvanize the culture at large, to a more niche-driven scenario where esoteric underground drug bands gain dedicated followings. According to Albini, things have drastically improved for the latter category in terms of show attendance and willingness to plunk down for merch.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about where the good musical discussion can be had, but I strongly suspect that there are active communities out there for any niche. I'm also more of a lurker these days so I guess I could be doing more to be part of the solution!

Anyway, I do glance at the doom subreddit whenever I need an overwhelming list of new recommendations:
https://www.reddit.com/r/doommetal/

And at this ultra-snobby hip hop forum:
http://philaflavaforum.com/forum/

If you're willing to sift through the toxicity and idiocy, the music board on 4chan occasionally drops lore:
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/76827027/#76827027

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am 

Music forums are slow on discussion because they're simply outdated.

Sure, Stonerrock.com was new and fresh in 1999. 2018, not so much. There have been a whole slew of music forums over the last 20 years, and it's no longer anything resembling a novel and intriguing idea. The propagation of different forums and communities has spread everyone out across the internet, when once upon a time the few forums that catered to individual musical tastes were popular because they were nexuses, focal points.

Music forums are simply dying a natural death, nothing more, nothing less. They're obsolete, it's as simple as that. Things change, new ideas take hold, art needs new forms.

I'll still post once in awhile on the new SR.com for posterity's sake.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am 

I find Facebook sort of distasteful, cause of the Russia Bot thing and because I don't think we should "be the product" just to talk to our friends about bands.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm 

renfield wrote:

Way off base from this millennial's perspective. Most people would rather just put on the radio or Pandora and be pandered to....

This is a special gripe/topic for me. There is nothing pandering about real radio curated by a living breathing human DJ. There is nothing good that can come out of the simplistic algorithm of Pandora.

The former is when you surrender your time to an expert, who has access to more music than you do and is presenting choice selections for your listening pleasure. You can depend on a dj for music from within a genre that hits all your buttons but also broadens your horizons. Its a time tested and proven format that benefits bands and fans.

The latter is a digital equation that blindly zeros in on similar points of tracks that have a genre label hung on them and never will it deviate from that robotic formula. Its mindless and uninformed. Not to mention opaque in that no one knows what basis the algorithm is working from and whether certain artists get preference over others because of money begin paid behind the scenes - you can bet on that.

DJs are an essential part of a culture. Algorithms are a hollow scam for lazy people. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum and its easy to see where my beliefs stand on the issue.
/rant.

If the new owner from all thats heavy was smart, he should try and put together a streaming radio show for a few hours two or three nights a week and have some of the veteran members of the boards be the DJ for them. I would tune in - and I would buy music based on what I heard. How awesome would it be to hear a set of music curated by Mortlock, or Danny G, or Bolt, or Juan, or Sludgelord, or Liberty, or Black Aspirin?
That would be killer. Just have them record their announcement of the set, and some info on the bands, and a hi and goodbye and then edit it into a three hour block for play back at a certain time. Podcasts do that all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm 

Horns I didn't want to get into Clear Channel/iHeartRadio and Pandora and shit and I totally agree that the two should not be conflated with each other let alone with real organic DJing. But I would say, recognize that it's our privilege as genuine music enthusiasts to be able to draw those distinctions at all. The whole reason they got away with that Clear Channel shit in the first place is because for most people music is just ambiance to have on in the background.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 pm 

The death of DJs is a topic that sets me off. Algorithms aren't good for anything.

Or, as a NASA scientist put it in 1965:
“Man is the lowest-cost, 150lb, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm 

Facebook is Satan. And Satan is boring. There would be no modern Black MEhTAL in my set. Lols.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 pm 

I agree with Dinger's sentiment. Web forums are dead as a doornail these days. Yawn lol. Forums are just about as outdated as a Nokia phone.

Anyways I have my own radio show!!! HELLO. Actually this year marks the 5th year that I've been on the air. All of the stations I've been on have been real FM stations too,and looks like I'm about to join another one next month.

So yea,I've been curating my own Stoner Rock/Doom Metal show for 5 years now. I've interviewed such greats as Scott Reeder,Bill Ward,Tommy Chong,and the interviews are still coming, as well as staying on top of my LIVE mixes which are very much mostly built upon very obscure and super heavy obscure stoner tracks,sometimes mixed in with old videogame sounds and Horror movie trailers.

I know people still know me as "misskitty"...but today I'm DJ Nurse Annabella,the greatest Stoner Rock DJ in the world!!!! So anybody still hating on me or ignoring me? Well FUCK YOU LOL I curate my own stoner rock show now so haters can bow down and kiss my ass!!!! I am close friends with your idols now. My show is way bigger than some measly web forums. And it has only begun.

https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2015/03/23/18770330.php

Speaking of the new SR.Com. I hope they at least bring the MP3 jukebox player back.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next