Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 135 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead primer (a newb's request for recommendatio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:32 am 

http://www.dead.net/store/live-shows/dicks-picks/daves-picks-volume-15-municipal-auditorium-nashville-tn-42278?intcmp=home/carousel1
Derp. Dave's 15 is a Spring '78 show after all. (...Deadheads....) Full show and 15 will sell out in less than a week. Many hardcore tapers agree that Spring '77 to Spring '78 is one of the hottest, if not thee hottest calendar year for the Dead. From the number of shows i've heard from that era, it's hard to disagree. Solid and often inspired musicianship for most of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 pm 

Funny, I just picked up that Dick's Picks 22 as well. After a couple of spins, I'd have to rate it as one of my favorites. That early 1968 period before/during recording Anthem of the Sun perfectly balances the psychedelic explorations with savage jamming. The Viola Lee Blues on here is fierce, and the Dark Star suitably weird. Listen to any Feedbacks from '67-'70...they sound amazingly modern and timeless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:43 am 

As a lazy question - I'm entirely igno rant about this band but would like to sample some of the live shows mentioned, as if that's where it's at I'm not going to go buying albums. Are there excerpts easily available online free of charge? Not springing for some collector bootleg on the off chance it's not just some crusty old boogie rock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:39 pm 

Tons of stuff on youtube. I often stream some random 70/80's era show thru my 5.1 set up. But tbh, it is mostly just olde crusty 70's type boogie Rock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 am 

Added Dick's 7 Sep. '74 London to the collection. The quick Europe '74 tour is considered by some to be the Dead's most spacey and far out run of shows. (Also rumored to be the first time Jerry dabbled with smack and/or free based with Salvador Dali!) Heh. Who knows?

Looking forward to really diggin' in this weekend. Could have easily been a 4CD set.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 pm 

Got shipping confirmation email for Dave's 15 yesterday. Should get by Friday. Will need something kind to help get me thru this latest heat wave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 pm 

I think I now have all of the Europe '72 shows (at least the official releases.)

Gonna start workin on the '72 and earlier "picks" now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:23 pm 

Dave's Picks 15 is a masterpiece.

Guys, I'm on my third spin, this time on headphones, and I love this f#@king show! The whole band is ON, but it's a Jerry night for certain - no question about it. His vocals are emotive, his energy is high, he's engaged and creative, and his timing is Dead-on.

There are a few general factors I mentally rate a show on, and this one gets an A+ in all categories - the sound quality is great (and I don't just mean the fidelity is good - the mix is also excellent, which is incredibly difficult to achieve in a two-track master - it means the band was mixed perfectly on-stage that night, and they were singing in flawless unison); the band is playing tightly / in sync; the energy level is high; the lead vocals are excellent; the backing vocals are excellent (and this is key - when they're out of harmony, the whole song drags); and the set list is great. They carry this quality throughout the entire show.

This is definitely a 1977 show with the extra punch I generally attribute to 1978, which in my mind (right or wrong) is due to the raunch and tone of the Irwin Wolf. On this night, you won't find the sloppiness that '78 is often cited for. One thing Dave is spot-on about in the liner notes, is the end of the show - where 1978 shows are often criticized (and rightly so) of losing steam late in the 4th quarter, it's not the case here. I want to say it reminds me of the 5/25/77 Mosque show from DaP 1, more so than even the 4/24/78 show two nights later, in terms of the tight-smooth performance (both vocally and instrumentally) and the sonic quality of the recording (i.e. just exactly perfect).

This may be the best show released from 1978. If you think about it, The Closing of Winterland is really the only other complete show release; all others are either incomplete or amalgams from multiple nights. And NOW I understand why Dave didn't put filler on this thing - it would have completely ruined the ebb and flow of an otherwise perfect show. The sum of the parts would surely have equaled less. I suppose if you tacked some filler at the end of disc 3 it wouldn't have done too much damage, but it would have been folly to do as was done on Dick's Picks 34 (i.e. disrupt the normal running order of the show with bonus tracks).

In classic armchair quarterback fashion prior to this release, I questioned the lack of filler material, and I questioned the selection of a show that was two nights prior to DaP 7. Once again, however, we armchair QBs got it wrong and Brother Dave got it right.

And I have to put in a plug for my boy - Keith Godchaux is stellar throughout. There is some particularly great playing on Estimated Prophet's outro jam.

If you didn't buy this show because 1978 was the wrong year for you - you're missing an outstanding show.

Review culled from dead.net forum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:44 pm 

This is from a favorite show of mine(Princeton University4/17/71), Pig Pen at his best, go to 7:21 if you want to cut to the chase. Entire band sounds shit-hot.

Complete show-
https://archive.org/details/gd71-04-17.sbd.nayfield.121.122.sbeok.shnf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:22 pm 

Something about the revival energy of Spring that always inspires the Grateful Dead. Pick any year and many of their best shows were played during the months of Spring.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:14 pm 

Finally banged some new storage together for the Grateful Dead collection, etc. Lots of room for more shows now! Speculation on dead.net currently runs rampant for DaP 16. I just hope it's not '71-78 this time. Plenty of shows during that era already released. A 04-22-79 (Brent's debut & the last "Betty Board") or a Spring '81 show would be very welcome. I wouldn't complain about a full 06-10-73 RFK though. That Set III w/the ABB is still one of my absolute faves. I wore my Maxell XLII tape out back in the late 90's.

So kokojones, any thoughts on that DaP 8?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 pm 

I'm guessing that DaP16 is gonna be 12-6-71 when Bobby put Chuck Berry's "Run Rudolph Run" into the set for that NYC run of shows. Just in time for Christmas. Good show with lots of jamming in Set II, but i'd prefer to hear another early 80's show given the treatment right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:17 pm 

And Dave's 16 is.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:23 pm 

03-28-73
Wow. Spring '73 is yet another peak era & tour, so this should be really good. Half the fun is the guessing. Nobody saw this show coming next. AUD tapes are in circulation, but the SBD is rare and something i've never heard before. Can't wait for November to come. I'm gonna renew my DaP subscription for 2016. Every show from 2015 is a keeper.

Last edited by libertycaps on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:49 pm 

Recently added DiP 12 & 14 + Road Trips Vol 3#4 & Vol 4#4. Yeah, i've got it pretty bad. David Lemieux listed as Producer for the Road Trips sets, so looks like he goes back to the era before his own Dave's Picks. Didn't know that.

DaP 16 already listed as "SOLD OUT." That was fast. What? 2 days? Crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 am 

Yeah, they changed it to the Dave's Picks to satisfy the demand for full shows. Personally, I like the Road Trips series idea better, I don't need 100 versions of El Paso and it gives the opportunity to explore the spaces where there are great moments in otherwise ordinary runs. They should have them both.

I was on a bad GD kick this summer, culminating with listening to all the road trips in order.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:40 pm 

I'm more a full show purist, but enjoying the DiP & RT sets that are 2 show highlight combos.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:29 am 

Disc 2 of Dick's Picks vol. 20 is just stunning.

09/25/76 Capital Centre; Landover, MD
Mississippi Half-Step
Dancing in the Streets>
Cosmic Charlie
Scarlet Begonias
St. Stephen>
Not Fade Away>
Drums>
Jam>
St. Stephen>
Sugar Magnolia

Daaaaa-yum!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:35 am 

That's a great one! Can't go wrong with any '76 really. Do you have Road Trips 4.5? That's another '76 show, the St. Stephen > Eyes >LIG is mind blowing. Stephen is well jammed out (over 10 minutes) and the Eyes starts with a Stronger Than Dirt-ish jam which I don't recall hearing before the verses in any versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:50 pm 

'76. The return of the Rhythm Devils! I'll look for that RT 4.5 set. Thanks for the tip.
Just bought DiP 33 "Day on the Green" shows opening for The Who. Many sources call these shows 2 of the hottest '76 gigs.
Set II of the first show looks esp. rad. Looking forward to crankin' it loud in the Man Cave, gettin' high as a muthafukkah 'n shooting pool. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 pm 

Got my DaP16 shipping email Saturday. Should have it early this week! DaP 2016 subscriptions are also now avail. I'm going again. I need my Grateful Dead fix. 2015 was pretty sweet. Good deal when you consider how much the limited sets go for on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm 

Just another amazing show with transparent sound quality. Buck Rogers-esque teleported back in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:07 pm 

For the 2 or 3 people here who might care looks like
DaP17 will be 7-19-74
DaP18 will be 7-17-76 (bonus disc 7-16-76)
Hard to complain about mid-70's Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:45 pm 

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/daves-picks-volume-18-orpheum-theatre-san-francisco-ca-71776#comment-821461
DaP18 avail for pre-order. This one will sell out like all the rest in a week or two.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 135 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next