Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 169 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baseball 2015
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:44 am 

This Hamels deal is so similar to the Curth Schilling/Scott Rolen.Cliff Lee deals. Give up a top player and receive "organizational" depth in return.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:37 am 

I don't like quality for quantity trades. The team who gets the best player usually wins such deals.

The Gomez no-trade is definitely disappointing. I wonder what the deal is, if the issue is an immediate concern or long term (like a degenerate condition)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 am 

The Cardinals get Brandon Moss from Cleveland, which is exactly the 1B/OF type they needed. No organization is as adept at filling holes. Those guys are amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 am 

Not as hot on the Moss grab as you, Red. Liked the Lind idea a lot more. Not sure what Lind would have cost, obviously, so there is always that....

Blue Jays rumored to be close to nabbing David Price. Will be interesting to see if they can pull that off and what the cost will be. I haven't read any names that Toronto might be offering up, but if Detroit can nab a Sanchez or Norris for him, that will be pouring so much salt on the wound that was left from the Tulo trade...as those were the 2 names I was hoping to see in the return for Colorado (obviously, only 1 of the 2).

Milwaukee and Boras(s) claiming the Gomez trade fell through over financials and not health. Easy to play the Wilpons being cheap card but those 2 parties have a very definite bias there and the financial argument just does not make sense. I mean, it is definitely possible the Mets wanted some $$$ thrown in upon their discovery of the health concern and then would have gone through with the trade, but that is still a trade derailed by health primarily and money secondary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:46 am 

Quote:
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports confirms that the Blue Jays have acquired David Price from the Tigers.
Daniel Norris is one of the players headed to Detroit in return. There was talk Thursday morning that the Dodgers were the heavy favorite to land Price, but Toronto simply stepped up with a better package. Price, 29, has a 2.53 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and a 138/29 K/BB ratio in 146 innings this season. He'll likely be no more than a rental for the Jays, but it's a huge boost to that previously-underwhelming pitching staff.

If this proves true, words can't expressed how pissed I am now with the Tulo trade. How does a 3 month rental net you Daniel Norris and not the best SS in baseball on a team friendly contact for the 4-5 years?!

I should add, I just visited a Rockies messageboard and most the posters are actually in favor of the Hoffman guy over Norris, arguing his pitching style is better suited for Coors than Norris's. We'll see, Hoffman is still developing and every year there is a knew philosophy on what style of pitching is best suited for Coors. So we'll see...I remain skeptical than any pitching style can succeed at Coors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:08 pm 

Gotta love the three way trade that went down today.

LA gets like eight players, including two top shelf SP and proven closer.

Atlanta gets a super-prospect.

Miami saves money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 pm 

I was at a bar earlier and they had MLB TV going, which was airing the Blue Jays game. Weird seeing Tulo in a Blue Jay uniform. And that lineup....honestly, the top of their lineup is insanely scary. If they can make the playoffs I would be scared shitless of facing them. Tulo-Donaldson-Bautista-Encarnacio is pretty insane. And now they have Price to front their rotation? They first have to make it to the playoffs, but if they can, watch out.

And Houston grabs Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Milwaukee. Apparently, Houston did not have the same reservations about Gomez that the Mets did, which would seem to make the Mets look like the bad guys now. But big play Houston. They gave up a good amount of talent to get Gomez and Fiers, but they are also young and neither are rentals.

Reds share they are interested in Zack Wheeler. Mets apparently interested in Jay Bruce. I would hope that the Reds would offer something more than just Bruce for Wheeler, because Bruce doesn't excite me enough to want to give up Wheeler for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:03 am 

Quote:
Jorge Alfaro, C: Signed out of Colombia in 2010, 22-year-old Alfaro is currently on the disabled list at Double-A Frisco with an ankle injury and will likely miss the rest of the season. He was hitting .253/.314/.432 in 190 at-bats before the injury. Widely-regarded as one of the top catching prospects in baseball, Alfaro draws praise for his arm strength and power potential.

His actual performance has been spotty: he's thrown out 28% of runners the last two years which isn't as many as you'd expect given his arm strength. He is mobile behind the plate but remains prone to mental mistakes and sloppy receiving play, though he'll make some spectacular stops as well. Offensively he has above-average power in the bat but has significant problems with contact and pitch recognition that cut into his production.

Alfaro has the physical tools to be a star but his baseball skills haven't caught up yet.

Alec Asher, RHP: Drafted in the fourth round in 2012 from Polk County Junior College in Florida, Asher is a 23-year-old right-hander who has split 2015 between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Round Rock. He's combined at the two levels for a 4.43 ERA and a 97/37 K/BB in 108 innings, allowing 110 hits.

Asher has a steady low-90s fastball that he uses aggressively. His slider and change-up are nothing special but he throws strikes and has done a good job eating innings in the minors, throwing 133 innings in 2013 and 154 in 2014 without ill effect. He is viewed as a future number four/five starter or possibly a reliever who can be more dominant in short doses. He'll need to improve his secondary pitches to move beyond that projection.

Jerad Eickhoff, RHP: Eickhoff is a 25-year-old right-hander drafted in the 15th round in 2011 from Olney Central Community College in Illinois. He's been deployed as a starter this year at Triple-A Round Rock, posting a 4.25 ERA in 102 innings with a 93/33 K/BB and 95 hits allowed.

Eickhoff is somewhat similar to Asher in profile, throwing a low-90s fastball with adequate secondary pitches, in his case a curveball and change-up. The curve is ahead of the change at this stage. He will show bursts of better fastball velocity at times, up to 96, and like Asher he could be a useful back-end starter or perhaps a more dominant pitcher in short relief doses.

Jake Thompson, RHP: Thompson was originally drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the second round in 2012 from high school in Heath, Texas. Traded to the Rangers in the 2014 Joakim Soria deal, Thompson has pitched 2015 with Double-A Frisco, posting a 4.72 ERA with a 78/30 K/BB in 88 innings with 94 hits allowed.

Age 21, Thompson has scuffled a bit in the Texas League this year. In the past he's shown sharp command of his low-90s sinker but his location has been off at times this spring and summer. He has a full secondary arsenal with a slider, curve, and change-up, with the slider being the best pitcher of the group. He has a workhorse body and projects as a number three starter if he can regain the touch on his command within the strike zone.

One writers analysis on the prospects coming to Philly in the Hamels trade. This would not get me too excited as a Phillies fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:18 am 

Mr Red wrote:
Gotta love the three way trade that went down today.

LA gets like eight players, including two top shelf SP and proven closer.

Atlanta gets a super-prospect.

Miami saves money.

Dodgers picked up more players than can fit on their roster plus $43 million in salary. They are making the Yankees look financially conservative. But Latos and Wood are really nice gets.

And Miami....what else needs to be said there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm 

now the end of the deadline dumb rumors start.

cubs are supposedly in on:

Carrasco, Ross, Kimbrel...and now Alex Wood? *sigh*

I'm really starting to miss the days when you found out about a trade when it was completed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:57 am 

The Padres are catching a ton of shit for not doing anything at the trade deadline, but they're like 12-2 in the last 14 games and are playing four of the worst five NL teams over the next couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see what happens and whether there is method to their madness.

It's cool for me that Toronto went balls-out at the deadline with the Tulo and Price deals, because I booked my trip there last weekend just to see the stadium, but in another month they'll probably be in a real pennant race by that time.

How do you feel about the Cespedes deal Adam? He is mega-flashy, but day-to-day, I think the guy is highly overrated. Getting traded three times in a year speaks a lot to not being a solid foundation piece (at least by three AL teams, where his game (AL) plays a bit more).

Seattle is embarassingly bad. I'm starting to think they need new ownership. I remember when I went to Houston to Opening Day in 2012 and the brand new owner came out spoke to the audience a mean game how he would turn that franchise around. They would eventually lose 107 games that year and now look at where they are at!!!

I read about a pretty weird story out of Anaheim tonight. The Angels announced that CJ Wilson is out with an elbow injury for the year, but this story says that several Angels players have intimated that Wilson is faking it. Really bizarre allegation, but he was really disgruntled about the way the Josh Hamilton situation was handled down there, so who knows? That locker room is apparently poisoned. Wilson makes $18 million/year through next year. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 am 

I like the Cespedes deal. One less year of control with him than Gomez, but happier to have given up Fullmer instead of Wheeler. I haven't seen him play, honestly, but I keep hearing how he is a force to be reckoned with in RF which is a definite huge plus. I do agree that I don't think he is an offensive centerpiece either, but he is a nice offensive piece nonetheless.

As for his trade history and how it reflects on him, I am not too concerned. He had never had the type of season he has had this past year previously.....I don't believe, at least. And Detroit HAD to trade him in light of their decision to rebuild/retool and that they wouldn't have been able to land a draft pick for him had he left during free agency. So it was trade him or lose him for nothing. What is the point in the latter during what is now a lost season?

Interesting thing I did read about him and the Mets.....the Mets have exclusive rights to signing him until 5 days after the World Series and then can't renegotiate with him until the middle of May. I would say that that makes Cespedes a clear cut rental, because I would be utterly shocked if the Mets were willing to fork over the money that it would likely take for Cespedes to forfeit the opportunity to test the market. There is zero reason for him to give the Mets a discount.

....and the Padres. I think they should have traded. I read something the other day that showed how the Padres are closer in the standings to the worst team in the NL than the 2nd WC. I would have traded my pieces if I was AJ Preller. If nothing else, the baseball world now probably has some increased level of interest in how the Padres season now plays out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:42 am 

Yeah, the Cespedes contract is pretty unique and really discourages the team he plays for into signing him after the season. In hindsight, Oakland and Boston trading him were mistakes. Or at least, I bet Boston would rather have Cespedes in LF than Hanley signed to big money for another couple seasons. Who couldn't see that coming a mile away?

And now after a Mets sweep over DC, they're in first place! They're a player now. They put up 12 runs against Miami tonight, but I wouldn't expect that to continue. They're going to have dry runs with Cespedes, Kelly Johnson and Uribe on the team, but Duda has come to life and it looks like Michael Conforto (Oregon State!) is ready to play full-time. Definitely a team to watch now. You can definitely feel the Mets fans excitement with this team (namely the young and amazing pitching).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:13 pm 

Kelly Johnson scares me. I really hope the Mets have the guts to bench/release when his inevitable dry spell kicks in. When he is cold, he is flat out awful.

Tigers fire/release GM Dave Dombrowski. I guess his contract was up at the end of this season and he wasn't planning on sticking around from the beginning, so perhaps this is more a release like the owner says than a firing. He was the most valuable person in that organization not named Miguel Cabrera over the past decade or so. H did a great job with them (with thanks to Illitch's checkbook) making them annual contenders.In the face of a lost season, I think he did quite well retooling the team for the future. What was one of the oldest teams with a weak farm system got a nice jolt with these recent trades. The Norris acquisition, in particular, looked pretty good Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 am 

Yeah, it was kind of ironic because I ended up pulling up an article this morning out of Detroit talking about how Dombrowski was still firmly in charge and operating like he wanted another contract with the team and then about an hour later this news comes up. It's pretty crazy what he accomplished with that team, going from a 119 losses in 2003 to an AL powerhouse a good six or seven years, a lot of those years coming when NYY and Boston where outspending most of the rest of the league by $100 million a season.

At 59 years old, you'd think he'd be ready for at least another go with another franchise. Soooooo, let's go Seattle! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 am 

The fallout of the Dombroski deal made it known that both sides knew he took his best shot and didn't quite get there. Classy move on both sides part. Letting him go right after the trading deadline, which he apparently did good for Detroit, will give him ample time to leverage his next deal.

2/3rds of the way through the season now and the Cubbies are on track to win 90 games! I called them as playoff team before the season started!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 am 

Ha, I also called Boston, Cleveland, Seattle and San Diego as playoff teams too. I guess I need to hang my hat on something. Holy fuck, what a weird year. I guess I could poke holes in Boston and San Diego, but WTF happened with Cleveland and Seattle? I actually know about Seattle, but goddamn. I can still eek out another profit on the Vegas over/under season win total window, but I will need some help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 pm 

i really wouldnt call a 30 year old dude with no MLB experience an elite prospect lol.he has like 2 years left in his prime. if the mets dont resign cespedes then fred wilpon will be ran out of new york. you guys keep talkoing about this norris kid. michael fullmer will end up being their prize.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:18 am 

Well, fuck a duck. The rich get richer. Boston signs Dave Dombrowski and is forcing Ben Cherington out. I actually didn't think Seattle had a realistic shot over Toronto, but they were probably Plan B, but Boston smartly swooped right in there. It seems weird though, as their execs have been homegrown for so long now. It's like someone outside the Yankee organization replacing Cashman.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 am 

so Red, I'm dying to know- what do you think about Mad Bum pinch-slugging, and when will the AL finally give up this retarded DH experiment?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:27 am 

Did you go turn-coat? I thought you were a true-blue all-Oakland, all-the-time guy?

I love me some MadBum. Really one of my favorite players right now. I went to Seattle for both of the Giants interleague games this year, mostly to see my distant cousin, Brandon Belt (really) and saw him pitch in the first game (Felix and the M's got him that day though) and then watched him in batting practice early in the next game. He hit three out of the park, which was more than any of the other Giants players. Four HRS in 55 ABs; he really is a credible guy to pull off the bench in pinch hitting situations.

If MLB is going to do anything, it'll be to instill the DH in both leagues. Several commentors think it will happen in the next decade. I fuckin' hope not, but it's coming from the Player's Association and the agents. More money to be made by keeping pitchers healthier and adding 15 DH spots versus 15 NL utility spots. How long would David Ortiz and Victor Martinez have lasted if they were forced to play 1B everyday? Or even A-Rod just this year? How much worse would the defenses be? These type of players would have been done years ago, yet they both signed big money deals recently (just this year in V-Mart's case). I like having both versions of the game and think it would be stupid to change it that way, but money talks. That is pretty much always the bottom line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:59 pm 

Giants have always been my team. first game I ever went to McCovey hit one out and that was that. I've always liked and rooted for the A's unless they're playing the Giants, and have gone to way more of their games in my life because of geography. current A's ownership is the worst bunch of slimy cocksuckers in the history of owners, and I've only gone to one game in the last 6 or 7 years since they tarped off the third deck- the exception being my buddy throwing out the first pitch at an Angels game last year.

DH is an abomination. Babe Ruth dragged his fat, hungover ass to the outfield every goddamned day, and Fat Papi can't stand around on FIRST? please. it started as a fucking marketing ploy for chrissakes. the founding fathers haven't stopped spinning in their graves since.

that's cool you're related to Belt. I'll have to keep that in mind on draft day should you come to your senses and re-join the OTHER board's fantasy league

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:52 am 

priest wrote:
DH is an abomination. Babe Ruth dragged his fat, hungover ass to the outfield every goddamned day, and Fat Papi can't stand around on FIRST? please. it started as a fucking marketing ploy for chrissakes. the founding fathers haven't stopped spinning in their graves since.

that's cool you're related to Belt. I'll have to keep that in mind on draft day should you come to your senses and re-join the OTHER board's fantasy league

You cannot compare playing in Babe Ruth's day to today. Anyway, wasn't he an outfielder? The 1B of today usually have to have a modicum of flexibility/athletic ability. Matt Adams pulled a hammy because he's a fat-ass with no flexibility. He should be playing in the AL. The same thing happened with Panda Sandoval when they put him at 1B when Belt was struggling. If you look at what Belt or Rizzo does at 1B, it really is awesome. I'd definitely rather go NO DH than universal DH, but having one version in league of each is fine by me.

There were too many casual players in the Stoner Rock League for me to hang there; YOURSELF included if I am remembering correctly! I've been playing in cash leagues ever since then and it's worked out very good for me, as I've cashed almost every year (usually only three players or so get in the money in each league). You can check my trophy case in Yahoo! I will say that guys like whoshotthefrog and guitarvis are as tough as fantasy MLBer's as you'll ever find, but having basically half of the league inert or not giving a shit kills the entire motivation for me. It is only fun if everyone is out for blood. I'm just a competitive prick like that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:01 am 

Yahoo did jerk around the season long cash games pretty rudely this year while they set up their own one-day Draft Kings bullshit though, so I'm probably going to set up my own cash league next year. If I do it, it'll be at least a $100 buy-in and I won't tolerate any dumb-fuckery. FYI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 am 

Mr Red wrote:
I've been playing in cash leagues ever since then and it's worked out very good for me, as I've cashed almost every year (usually only three players or so get in the money in each league). You can check my trophy case in Yahoo!

Just checked. I've cashed in four out of five years of playing in these cash leagues. You can drill down on my profile on the years I was in the Stoner Rock League with you (2006-08).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 169 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next