Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 173 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lack of board activity
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:28 am 

Mr Red wrote:
Spirit Caravan rules, but it's tough to generate the same enthusiasm for them seeing them as a 44 year old versus a 30 year old. In an online review sense. Thus, the lack of online words/content from the oldsters who still care about Spirit Caravan and that scene.

I'll try to do better about posting stuff that impressed me as an old, jaded fuck, but most of it will probably fall outside of the stoner/doom format. I think it's been pretty apparent that the recent trend to cinematic stuff (John Carpenter/GOBLIN) and their scion (ZOMBI) has been the biggest musical thing for me on here lately.

For instance, really nothing beats the John Carpenter album as far as good music goes in 2015 goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLWpcdU ... TAHnkBmb1c

Just gave that John Carpenter a check, good stuff.

Not really a huge fan of the cinematic stuff, but don't hate it either. Every once in a while I will throw on Zombi's Spirit Animal but that has pretty much been the extent of my interest in the area. You can throw this album into the mix now as well I imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 am 

I was giddy about the first track they released from that John Carpenter album, so once the full album was available for download I bought it. And I think its kind of a letdown. Nothing will beat the soundtracks he's released.

And this is right up there too:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 am 

Damocles74 wrote:
This genre of music has gone as far as it will go

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread, though this in particular resonates with me.

I also am not too enthusiastic about going to see Spirit Caravan play live these days, though 15 years ago I saw them every chance that I got. Nowadays, I'm more like, "oh good for them, they're touring again!"

Like Horns, the majority of my musical tastes these days lies well outside the realm of stoner/doom, so I don't bore people by posting about it.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 am 

Promises promises.

Listen to more StonerRock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:38 pm 

For me, lack of actual discourse here is discouraging. I prefer this board (not sure why) and I've got plenty to contribute, I'm blasting away seeing many kinds of live music practically every night, just don't feel like sharing my experience here anymore if there's not going to be any reply. Too much living in the past here too, bums me out (cool you saw X band in 2001, but not as cool as if you saw them in 2001 AND 2015). Feel like users here spend more time effort and hot air rejecting cool shit than enjoying it. Other board is a bunch of knuckleheads still beating the dead horse of old Sr.com inside jokes with, again, little or no worthwhile discourse.

Since you asked...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:35 pm 

H. H. Word wrote:
For me, lack of actual discourse here is discouraging. I prefer this board (not sure why) and I've got plenty to contribute, I'm blasting away seeing many kinds of live music practically every night, just don't feel like sharing my experience here anymore if there's not going to be any reply. Too much living in the past here too, bums me out (cool you saw X band in 2001, but not as cool as if you saw them in 2001 AND 2015). Feel like users here spend more time effort and hot air rejecting cool shit than enjoying it. Other board is a bunch of knuckleheads still beating the dead horse of old Sr.com inside jokes with, again, little or no worthwhile discourse.

Since you asked...

I hear you, Mr. Word, I wish there was a little more activity here, although even without a lot of traffic, I get more quality music recommendations in this place than on SR.Lives.

Also saw Scott/snailhook last night at YOB and going to SWANS tonight so there's still hope....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 am 

HORNS wrote:
I was giddy about the first track they released from that John Carpenter album, so once the full album was available for download I bought it. And I think its kind of a letdown. Nothing will beat the soundtracks he's released.

Can't really agree with that, but I think the album (or most of it at least) is fantastic. I have most of his soundtracks and they usually leave me wanting more, as he never really thought of releasing them as albums/scores until he hooked up with Alan Howarth. Carpenter never thought of them as a viable commercial vehicle until they did the 'Season of the Witch' together and after performing a proper 'album', Carpenter retroactively cobbled together songs with sounds/interludes of each film and then released them.

The new album is pretty much his first musical only pursuit (unless you count Season of the Witch, which I believe he produced anyway). He has said this was a completely enjoyable project for him, as he's completely given up/quit the film business.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:15 am 

There were probably an overwhelming majority of people that thought rock had gone as far as it could go before KYUSS or doom as far as it could go before YOB. For me, as a 45 year old who has been listening/seeing to bands for more than three decades, it is mostly true, but I'm not closing the door on it. Josh27 is seeing Enslaved, YOB and SWANS over two nights and even though all of those bands are at least 15 years old, there is nothing else out there that sounds remotely like those bands! They might all fit into a distinct genre/style or whatever, but each one of them has a very unique, signature sound that is unmistakable. Fuck all the cookie-cutter stuff, go for the top 1-to-5%!!! That is where I'm coming from.

But I would even take a stupid, old-time rock band that has the chops DRUNK HORSE had! What-the-fuck that nobody else can get this stupid 40-year-old tried-and-true boogie rock template down like that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 am 

H. H. Word wrote:

Since you asked...

Yeah, I hear you. I used to say that this was the board that discussed music more, and the other board was just shenanigans, though there's a thread on Otanesek up on both boards, and guess which one got more activity? SRL.com - that wasn't always the case. This used to be the place to discuss actual music.

You're a real trooper man, and I can appreciate how dedicated and passionate you are about seeing live music. Some part of me still wishes I was, though honestly I'm not as into it as I was in 2001, when I used to go to every show I could. I'm a lot more selective about what I go see, and a lot of it has to do with what bands I haven't seen before. My tastes have grown and evolved a lot, and honestly I'd be bored to death seeing the bands that I saw in 2001 if I saw them now. I just have no desire to go see The Melvins or High On Fire for the upteenth million time these days....

At the same time, no one on here really wants to read how amazing I thought that The National/Phosphorescent or The War On Drugs show was....I at least get some response to that on SRL.com, because there's just more people posting, and more people are likely to actually share my tastes that are a little outside of the stoner/doom/metal/punk box.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:41 am 

Alright then - I'll be seeing you assholes at Psycho CA and - ta-da - the mighty Uffomammut in AQB on May 29th.

I suggest you be on time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 am 

I still check this site from time to time for music info but the whole message board of fun thing died the day SR.com was taken down. SRL.com is 99% trolls who were too intimidated to post on the old site and now have the run of the place, it's pretty much a zoo of broken spirits who spend way to much time alone in the dark. This place doesn't have the hangout vibe but is a good resource for music news. People have gone and growned up, gotten into therapy/rehab, got married and birthed other people, are in prison, died...etc You know life happened and there is no time for interwebbing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 am 

libertycaps wrote:
SRL is a load of shit.

Well, it's certainly more pleasant since you've been blocked from posting. We've banned maybe four people since the board's inception in Dec. 2010, so you've gotta be quite the loose cannon to join THAT club. Evidently you're quite cordial on here though, so good on ya guv'nuh

Both boards seem to fit their self-generated (?) needs at this point, and yeah what was already a worn out genre by design IMO has indeed gotten there again. Cheers to the die-hard rockheads that gave the ol' I-IV-V a new life 15-20 years ago nonetheless...

H H Word, you're a prince !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:29 am 

If it makes any of you feel better, this is actually a pretty good thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 am 

I'd like to chime in here and offer the following observations:

1) I saw YOB on Sunday and they destroyed the place, 4 songs and probably around 50 minutes long.... I could've sworn they started off with the old nugget "Ball of Molten Lead" but my memory is hazy these days when it comes to song titles.
2) SWANS last night, though, was on an entirely different level, absolutely transcendent. 2 and a half hours of primal intensity and overwhelming sonic density. At least half the set was new shit, all of it sounded great, and they're going to record a new album in September, onwards and upwards. That fucking drummer is a force of nature.
3) My taste in music is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Ron's.
4) It's good to see DG around these parts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:57 am 

If I smell like a zoo, it's probably something I stepped in. I'm clean and fresh otherwise and my spirit is remains somewhat intact. The darkness is more of a commitment to conservation and sustainability. I like checking in here, but it's more of a watching things in an aquarium than getting in the pod.

But demon gal posts here, so that's one up over srl.com
just one though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:35 pm 

I just stopped by to say hi to libertycaps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 pm 

I honestly didn't figure anyone would notice....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm 

Quote:
SRL.com is 99% trolls who were too intimidated to post on the old site and now have the run of the place, it's pretty much a zoo of broken spirits who spend way to much time alone in the dark.

BOO-YAH! Getcha a case of beer for that one, DG. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:15 pm 

You two are welcome back anytime, if the Nazi Moderators on SRL are tied-down with ropes (they are).

If you won't come to Psycho CA and Uffomamut with us then we win.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:30 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
libertycaps wrote:
SRL is a load of shit.

Well, it's certainly more pleasant since you've been blocked from posting. We've banned maybe four people since the board's inception in Dec. 2010, so you've gotta be quite the loose cannon to join THAT club. Evidently you're quite cordial on here though, so good on ya guv'nuh

Could it be that maybe i was just "Takin' tha piss?!?" Tosser.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:20 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
Could it be that maybe i was just "Takin' tha piss?!?" Tosser.

Of course you were, that's what all trolls claim when singled out.

Thank god you're still here to provide wonderful contributions like this:
http://forum.theobelisk.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8510

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 pm 

Right. I expect to get along with everyone and be on my best behavior all of the time. I trolled the SRL board precisely because it's a load of shit. Cop.

And if you are paying service fees on a load of shit webshite......well, the joke's on you. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:44 pm 

Well, everyone reaches out to you anyway. In writing. If you want to keep standing me up every-time I come to your town (4 so far) then that's your loss.

Since you guys own all knowledge - Why is it uncool Scott Reeder is going to play bass in Goatsnake? I dun't get the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm 

I saw Zoo of Broken Spirits back when they were cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:56 pm 

There's so many stonerrock message boards to tap to spend the rest of my life just tapping one.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 173 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next