Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Austin Psych Fest: Levitation (May 8-10th)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:27 pm 

i always wish fuzzy stoner stuff was better represented, but holy shit this festival has been fucking kick ass the past two years. we will be there again this year.

http://www.austinpsychfest.com/

FRIDAY, MAY 8

Tame Impala • Spiritualized • Lightning Bolt • The Sword • DIIV • The Soft Moon • Metz • White Fence • Mini Mansions • Ringo Deathstarr • Indian Jewelry • Holy Wave • Willie Thrasher & Linda Saddlebeck • Mr Elevator & The Brain Hotel • White Manna • SURVIVE • Hundred Visions • Hollow Trees

SATURDAY, MAY 9

The Jesus & Mary Chain – performing “Psychocandy” • Primal Scream • Thee Oh Sees • Earth • Health • This Will Destroy You • Night Beats • The Black Ryder • Mystic Braves • Spindrift • Las Robertas • Rose Windows • LA Witch • Vaadat Chagrim • Blank Tapes • Fever The Ghost • Ryley Walker • Chui Wan • Heaters • Gourisankar Karmakar & Indrajit Banerjee • Sungod

SUNDAY, MAY 10

13th Floor Elevators - 50th Year Anniversary Reunion • The Flaming Lips • The Black Angels • Mac Demarco • Melody’s Echo Chamber • A Place To Bury Strangers • Fuzz • Fat White Family • The Goastt • Föllakzoid • Nothing • Paperhead • Eternal Tapestry • ZZZs • Samsara Blues Experiment • Los Mundos • Mugstar • Jeff Zeigler / Mary Lattimore Duo • Krakatau

Post subject: Re: Austin Psych Fest: Levitation (May 8-10th)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:31 pm 

strong line-up but I am afraid they may not be able to top last years line-up, it was/is pretty unbeatable. graveyard, brown sabbath, kadavar, morgan delt, etc. I really wanted to go last year. still, this festival is excellent, wish I lived closer.

can't believe they got the original line-up of the 13th floor elevators to reunite for 2015. I would go, if I could, just for that alone. why the hell is 'the sword' playing though? is there another 'sword' band out there? that can't be right, can it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:54 pm 

I presume The Sword get a spot because they're local, and might draw in some lunkheads.

It's great that they are having an Elevators reunion but it's being called their first reunion/first show since the 60's when there were 13th Floor Elevators shows billed as such in 1973 and 1984, so the sugarcoated mis-presentation of the facts is a little lame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:15 pm 

Quote:
SATURDAY, MAY 9

The Jesus & Mary Chain – performing “Psychocandy” • Primal Scream •

Wow. Nice. I'd go to Sat show just for that. Sadly, i got a good job i wanna keep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 pm 

I was seriously considering taking the 1300 mile trip down to Austin on my motorcycle for this years fest....until I saw the prices for camping and 3 day passes. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:16 am 

Don't miss The Soft Moon or Spindrift. Although it's been like five years since I saw Spindrift and I guess they've broken up and reformed already over that time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:38 am 

would love to make it to this festival one day. Expensive trip from New Zealand.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:14 pm 

great fucking show, as expected.

friday highlight - Lighting Bolt. wasn't a fan while previewing bands on the lineup but holy shit, live that shit melted my brain

saturday highlights - our group all rolled this night, many for the first time, and just had a magical time. the music was the background muzak and fit the mood perfectly. highlights - Spindrift, Mystic Braves, and This Will Destroy You. Earth blew everyone away, even the girls with us who have never in their lives listened to anything like that. definitely one of my favorite performances over the weekend. a perfect night.

sunday highlights - Black Angels were good, as always, 13th floor elevators actually sounded pretty good for kicking off nearly 50 years of rust onstage (roky's voice is obviously not as good anymore, but, hey, dude's probably pushing 70). Follakzoid were fucking excellent (thanks for the tip, shaft), Chelsea Wolfe was faaaaar better than i was expecting (i thought she was acoustic based, not Earth-ish with good vocals). most in our group had never seen a Flaming Lips show, so it was fun watching the looks on their faces when that was going on. fun times. and Fuzz was pretty fucking badass while closing down the festival.

i know i missed some good stuff, but that's always gonna be the case. wanted to see Samsara Blues Experiment, Mugstar, and The Myrrors, all on sunday afternoon, but we chose taking the ladies to Barton Springs for some exctasy afterglow swimming instead.

we will be back next year, almost regardless of the lineup. it's just a great time.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 am 

I happened to be around on Thursday and attented the Levitation pre-show at Mohawk. Sold out (some nice guys I met at another bar from Missoula gave me a spare ticket) crowd of several hundred people watching Ariel Pink, who was OK, but I was hoping to hear something heavier (the reason I didn't stick around to attend the fest itself). One of the inside bands was really good, Killer Moon from Chicago, who played in front of like 35 heads, I bought a CD off of them. Also caught the tail end of another band playing inside, Eye, that was good, wish I'd seen more of them.

This was my first visit to Austin, and although I was only there a couple of nights I could see that the 'live music capital of the world' rep is a mixed bag- sure there are lots of venues and fans and that's great but I felt as though there's a low quality standard as a result. Who fills those 200+ music venues every night? If not great touring bands like Sleep or Swans, hacks and beginners is my conclusion. If not for the Lev pre-show, there was nothing else good going on that particular evening that I would have bothered seeing. Seems like it's just a big music market...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]