Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Pink Floyd - The Endless River
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:24 pm 

Is it me or this album sounds like just one big filler?

Post subject: Re: Pink Floyd - The Endless River
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:05 pm 

You needed to listen to it to know that it would be filler?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 pm 

Well no, I thought so...but there many people who think it's great...what's great about it I can't tell...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:06 pm 

My only question would be (and the only thing that matters), how does Gilmour sound?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 pm 

I feel like we went down this road with that Super Duper Deluxe Remastered Remodeled Tweaked To The Max Dark Side Of The Moon a few years ago. This is "new" material, but it's like the same old story. For diehards only, and even then you might feel like you've been suckered. People are out there holding out hope for a Zeppelin reunion and album...I couldn't care less. These bands died a long time ago. 9 times out of 10, you've already heard everything that's worth hearing from them. I don't usually get to depressed when bands hang it up. I love Metallica, but their last couple albums were nothing special. I'll never be that guy online all day passing rumors around about a band that ran out of gas twenty years ago "maybe maybe maybe!" getting back together. Also too much great music out there to waste my time buying albums of outtakes and half a songs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:15 pm 

And now to contradict my entire post: that last Hendrix release they put out was actually pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 pm 

No Richard Wright on account of him being dead, right? Or Roger Waters? So what's the point? Should have let the band lie. That last performance during Live 8 was a wonderful and proper send off. The only PF release I'm really interested in at this point is a live DVD from their first set of performances of The Wall.

Heard a preview of one of the songs. Gilmour's guitar sounded a lot like it did on A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, which is a sound I never really cared for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 pm 

Bullio wrote:
No Richard Wright on account of him being dead, right? Or Roger Waters? So what's the point? Should have let the band lie. That last performance during Live 8 was a wonderful and proper send off. The only PF release I'm really interested in at this point is a live DVD from their first set of performances of The Wall.

Heard a preview of one of the songs. Gilmour's guitar sounded a lot like it did on A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, which is a sound I never really cared for.

It's left over sessions from Division Bell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 am 

Wright is technically on it, and that's a lot of the reason why I listened to it. As stated over on Hellride, it really is like elevator music. I actually dug The Division Bell, it's got some moments, and this sounds like that with less vocals. As for this being great, ah, no.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:29 am 

theyeti85 wrote:
Bullio wrote:

It's left over sessions from Division Bell.

I guess that would explain the sound then. I was under the (false) impression this was a whole new album.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:58 pm 

So far I actually dig it,despite all of the negative reviews so far.

I think it's better than Division Bell! And I haven't heard Nick Mason rock out like that on the drums since Dark Side of the Moon actually. I just wish the songs were longer,more jammy and had more guitar solos,but I would say the first 5 songs are the best Pink Floyd had to offer since Animals. Even some of the riffs are an improvement over the last 3 albums.

The only way to listen to it is after smoking a really fat joint. I can't imagine sitting through it sober lol,but what I've heard so far is not bad,I'm definitely giving it another spin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 pm 

Once I can again, I'm going to have to take your advice and try with joint. I think that'll help immensely!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 pm 

Works as background, but not an album that can keep my interest when trying to focus on it. Plus, I never liked Pink Floyd with Gilmour on vocals.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:21 pm 

Listened to it again and there's only one thing I don't like actually,the last song with the singing,oh gawd these lyrics suck.

"We bitch and we fight / Diss each
other on sight / But this thing we do / These times together "

"Diss"!? Makes me cringe to think that's Gilmour's idea of "keeping up with the times".

Nick Mason really stands out on this album though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 pm 

Would have guessed those lyrics were from a rap song.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:19 pm 

Yes, those lyrics are terrible, and NICE on the rap song observation.

When, talking about this song with a friend, I asked if those lyrics were from the new Dr. Dre album.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm 

I really like this album. Mellow, ambient, almost entirely instrumental. Reminds me a lot of the album Gilmour did with the Orb, which I also really like. Wasn't expecting "Animals" so I wasn't let down. A good album to zone out to.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:18 pm 

Nick Mason is amazing. I bet he could drum for Sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:08 pm 

This one has definitely grown on me with continued listens. Great background music and as someone who does not like Gilmour on vocals I appreciate that it is largely instrumental. You could definitely tell this is from The Division Bell era and the best tunes from that album were definitely the instrumental ones.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]