Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: books?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:22 pm 

Read anything good lately?

Recently finished The Orphan Master's Son, which won the Pulitzer for fiction a few years ago. Epic story about the hellish experience of a North Korean who gradually discovers what the world is really like outside of the "Hermit Kingdom". Not exactly a fun book -- there were times when it was tough going due to all the fucked up shit that goes down, sort of like how I felt reading Infinite Jest, but ultimately the characters and their experiences stay with you after you're done. Recommended.

Post subject: Re: books?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 pm 

ICD and pathophysiology textbooks for school, but I actually kinda like them. Fun stuff. Doesn't leave much time for recreational reading though.

Friend of mine has been trying to get me into audiobooks for awhile now. Finally took advantage of one of Audible's promos and grabbed The Martian by Andy Weir. Really liked what I'd listened to of it, but I got horribly side tracked and haven't listened to it in a couple months. Planning to start it over during the winter when I have more time to spare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:13 am 

"I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution"

You can't put it down. A compendium of stories from a bygone era that rivals Legs McNeil's punk compendium "Please Kill Me"

Next up- "And Party Every Day: The Rise and Fall of Casablanca Records"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am 

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. He is undoubtedly my favorite writer right now. I read The Road in a night, too. Been working my way through Thoreau's The Maine Woods for about a year now, as well.
Just finished teaching Absolute True Diary of A Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie to my 10th graders. Great read. Funny as hell, coming of age story. Next up, Catcher in the Rye. Stoked.
Good topic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm 

Child of God was a great book. If you dig McCarthy, I'd also recommend Suttree.

I'm currently reading Chapterhouse: Dune, the 6th and final Frank Herbert Dune book. I never read the series before, but after seeing that Jodorowski doc about his never released movie, I was very curious. Great stuff if you're into sci-fi/adventure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:00 pm 

Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (French: L'anti-Oedipe) 1972 book by the French philosopher Gilles Deleuze and the psychoanalyst Félix Guattari.
Probably the most difficult thing I've ever read (the philosophy of the rhizome)....ever.

Rereading The Magus by John Fowles. One of those open-to-interpretation endings that made Fowles script a revised edition.
It was made into a movie (screenplay written by Fowles) in the 60s with Michael Caine and Anthony Quinn.

I'm also closing out the Prince Corum of the Scarlet Robe trilogy by Michael Moorecock with the 'King of Swords' book. Fans of the Elric books will appreciate the existential fantasy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:48 pm 

Wat yer readin for?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:25 pm 

dutch gus wrote:
Wat yer readin for?

"So I don't become a waffle waitress."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:15 pm 

I'm having another go at Finnigan's Wake! So far it's rad..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 pm 

Strangely I'm just re-re-re-re...reading Molloy by Beckett.
Similar aesthetic approach in many ways.

Also reading 'Teach your own' by John Holt for inspiration about 'non-schooling'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:18 pm 

Quote:

I second Suttree. Read it this summer, not the easiest read but worth the time and effort. I started watching Child of God movie and it wasn't good at all. I have read 2 other McCarthy books, The Road(loved it) and Blood Merdian (good but also a tough read).

Now reading the summer of 1927 which is really good and I am not really a history buff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 pm 

acrimony wrote:
Quote:

I second Suttree. Read it this summer, not the easiest read but worth the time and effort. I started watching Child of God movie and it wasn't good at all. I have read 2 other McCarthy books, The Road(loved it) and Blood Merdian (good but also a tough read).

Now reading the summer of 1927 which is really good and I am not really a history buff.

Great book. Side note: Hollywood should stop trying to adapt Blood Meridian, if they haven't already. Suttree could be done in the right hands. Mark Lanegan or Tom Waits should do the music.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm 

Currently reading Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy by Gabriella Coleman. It's the story of how Anonymous formed and the events that have transpired, ect. What I find interesting about it is how it all started on 4Chan, which in a lot of ways was like a bigger, even more chaotic version of StonerRock.com in its heyday. A lot of the memes that originated there would quickly migrate over to us, back in the days when trolling was the shit, anything went -- until either El Danno or Robwrong intervened, often leading to even greater hilarity. Anyways, that part of the book made me a bit nostalgic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 am 

Currently reading M.P. Shiel's The Purple Cloud, a post-apocalyptic novel about one man's experience after a purple vapor kills off humanity. It is possibly the bleakest, grimmest thing I've ever read.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm 

One of my recent bosses writes smut novels, haven't looked him up yet because that's what I want to read. He's got some published I just haven't looked up the extent of it yet, see how far he takes it. I'm sure he likes my writing, no hiding it, he really liked me it seemed. NE ohio district manager he just got canned and I quit as well, taxes are fun but my manager is the biggest stalker in the history of this town and it's not coincidence we were put together, same as the stripper boss at my other job. Fucking hate communism, playing with our lives like a joke, find out who made these decisions though and rat them out, they're trying to stop me from coming now, they're the ones fucked, can't stop me no matter what you try, mob fixing games, corporate selloff when I buy in something, they're all on record somewhere. Got enough people on my side to wipe out the useless fucks. Wasting our time on their decisions, not ours, they will go down, the only solution.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]