Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Hulu vs Netflix vs Amazon Streaming
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 pm 

Recently dumped cable and grabbed a Roku. Currently subscribed to Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime for their streaming service, my roommate from the past couple years had Netflix available in the living room which was available to me to use.

-While Kevin Spacy and House of Cards was great, initial impression is that Netflix streaming is the weakest of the 3 services. Poor movie selection, IMO, and a limited tv show selection.

-While I really like having current shows available the next day via Hulu, most of my favorite network shows are CBS and I guess they don't make their newest episodes available until the latest season concludes (or so I am under the assumption). Also, their inclusion of commercials drives me crazy, enough so that I am debating cancelling my subscription. That all said, they currently have a ton of shows that I am interested in checking out, so doubt any cancellation will be occurring any time soon.

-Amazon seems to have the best selection/combination of tv shows and movies. On top of that, they have many of the HBO series, including my favorite tv show ever 'The Wire," available to prime members. Seems like if I had to choose only one service, Amazon's would be it.

Just curious what other peoples experiences are with these streaming services. Trying to figure out the lay of the streaming land, to help guide future decisions regarding who I should and should not subscribe to.

I do have to say, losing access to baseball has been killing me. I probably will have to grab an antenna so that I can catch some football this fall.

Post subject: Re: Hulu vs Netflix vs Amazon Streaming
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm 

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. It really depends on what you want to watch, but the selection on both services changes monthly. The price difference between the two is negligible now, but if you do any shopping at all on Amazon then having the free two day shipping is really nice. Amazon also seems to have more notable exclusives. HBO, obviously, but also some other cable stuff like Orphan Black, The Americans, and Justified. Netflix gives you 30 days free when you sign up, so you could always take advantage of that to see if it's something you'd want to stick with.

I can't bring myself to pay for Hulu Plus. Their selection schemes make no fucking sense, apparently there are things Hulu Plus members don't have access to that non-Plus users do, and I won't pay for a streaming service that has ads. But I also have cable, so there's no real reason for me to subscribe anyway. CBS puts episodes up on their website, but I have no idea what sort of delay you'd be looking at going that route.

If you're missing baseball, look into MLB.tv. You'll be subject to local blackouts, of course, but if you don't care about the teams in your market or are that desperate it's worthwhile. MLB starts running sales on the service towards the end of the year if you want to give it a trial run at a reduced price.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm 

If memory serves, I should be able to watch the CBS shows on their website with a week at the most. Done that with a show here and there I didn't DVR. And I do plan on doing that. Watching tv on my computer just isn't quite the same as on the tv screen for me, personally. But happy to have the option at least.

As for mlb package, I did think about that. But I cut cable because money is tight right now, as I just made a move, and the mlb package is more pricey than I want to commit to at this point. Maybe next year.

And thanks for the mention of The Americans. That will be next on to watch list. Watching Justified right now and enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm 

i'll tell ya: i fucking HATE the navigation on the Amazon site. I have Amazon Prime and I never watch their streaming because the selection is so muddled and i had to sort through the pay-per-view to find the streaming. i can't remember being so frustrated with navigating a movie selection.

I dig Netflix. But damn if they aren't always adding and subtracting titles without any way for a viewer to know of their availability. I just heard on a podcast that there is a Harry Dean Stanton documentary on there now. It seems I'm relying on dumb luck to discover whats available ha ha. But thats the curse of the algorithms they use to recommend movies to you. If your tastes are diverse you are just flying blind in many ways. Also, someone recommended me the New Zealand comedy "Eagle vs Shark" with the guy from Flight Of The Concords.
We need to all regularly contribute to the netflix thread in the movies forum. hell, we all subscribe...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:28 am 

I haven't used the Amazon site for streaming their stuff yet, so haven't had to deal with weeding out prime offerings vs non-prime. The primary reason I grabbed a Roku over the Amazon player was because Roku seperates Prime selections for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:56 pm 

We use all three to varying degrees. Netflix to keep the kids happy, plus Orange in the New Black, Hulu when we need to catch up on regular, non-CBS TV, and Amazon for movies and a slow death of $1.99 purchases. All three UIs are fucking lousy, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 pm 

I watch no tv shows at all. Just movies on hbo, Showtime, cnbc all day, and my phone has fox business and Bloomberg when I'm at work I can get my news, but I'm usually on Yahoo finance, the street, cnbc app, and others.

Fox trying to buy time warner, watching Viacom lately, and of course Disney, I catch some ESPN only time I stray from market news or movies. Comcast owns a bunch of channels now too. Netflix options are still out of my price range, thousands on single trades, and they lost their steam like last year. Time Warner owns hbo, that's the big player right now. CNN is getting tossed, that channel is the biggest joke on the dial, irrelevant to earth.

There was an article on every business website and Twitter feed last week on cutting the cord, which basically was starter tv, internet, and hbo for $75 a month, and hbo go is available on your devices or internet to watch your series and maybe two movies, but hbo go has never worked for me, neither does showtime anywhere, and I have unlimited high speed data for $80 a month t-Mobile. I'm passed 13 gigs this month and no slowing down, but hbo go starts but stops right when a show or movie gets to the rated r screen. Free episodes of deadlist catch or live tv work just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:08 am 

I'm gonna apply myself and start regularly posting the good available movies on Netflix Instant that so many don't know are available there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:40 pm 

You can pry my Oppo BDP-95 and PHYSICAL MEDIA from my cold, dead hands. Nothing can replace quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:02 pm 

I have netflix, but only until the end of this billing cycle. I rarely use it anymore.
I have 1 month left on my amazon prime, not re-upping. Their site navigation sucks, as does how they categorize movies.

If there's tv I want to see, I'll just stream it from a 3rd party site. If there's an movie I want to see, I'll d/l it. The only thing I think I'll ever pay for again TV wise is the NHL package.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 pm 

Fuck all of that noise.

Install XBMC on that Roku box, hook it up to your network, and stream shit from your computer. DL whatever the fuck you want, and watch it.

You can setup utorrent quite easily to auto download stuff you want to see. Until the cable companies take their foots out of their asses, I'm not giving them another fucking penny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

Downloading tv or movies just doesn't seem to work for me.

Grabbed an antenna earlier only to realize my TV is old enough that its analog, not digital. So I went back out and grabbed the converter. Got home and set it up only to discover that I could not get CBS or NBC...I get some public TV channels, Fox, and ABC. Thinking I will now return them. Not worth the cost just to for one (sometimes 2) football games a weeek.....especially when it was Sunday Night Football I was most interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:08 pm 

For those complaining about how Amazon organizes their titles, I just noticed they now have a separate link on their streaming site that lists only their PRIME eligible movies and shows. All organized by genre.

Using that link, navigation is an absolute breeze.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 am 

Went to the darkside and have yer basic monthly Netflix now. S'okay. Hard to complain about $8.99 a month for all that content. Rewatching the Ken Burns Jazz docu currently. Picture quality is passible. Kinda reminds me of VHS which is funny/ironic. The video equivalent of old redbook CDs or lousy mastered LPs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 pm 

Apple tv has CNBC, and since my weekdays are booked up I should be chilling on these weekends, but no I'm at work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:41 am 

Just got a free month trial to Netflix so giving it another shot. Pleasantly surprised with it, lots of stuff I missed initially. Especially the documentary type stuff. Been catching up on missed episodes of No Reservations and 30 for 30, some of the outdoor sports type documentaries, etc. Lately, I have been cooling on Amazon Streaming a lot as I watched all the shows that were initially of interest and haven't found anything new of much interest, so the timing of this Netflix trial is quite timely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Netflix just went through one of their regular stream expirations / changes (annual? quarterly?), so that may account for things you "missed", since they weren't there. Just watched The French Connection last night for the first time in years. Pleased to see some good Gene Hackman in there after a long drought.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:20 am 

Netflix is in big trouble, competition is going to devour it, that big run on its stock price the few prior years is just tanking and will continue tanking. Like a year ago I wished I could afford the calls, now I wish could afford the puts. Tesla is the other one tanking, gonna make some money riding that fall down. They're running out of fake hope on facebook too, once the fed raises rates the multiples are crashing for good, maybe auction off the bonds quicker too. Soon I'll be able to afford girly drinks for my girl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 am 

Netflix rolled out in mainland Europe last year, which in general is a good thing despite the fact that all non-US Netflix have significantly reduced content compared to the US, while keeping the same or even higher prices than in the US.
This in itself was a good thing as anyone with a bit of technical savvy was able to use a VPN to still get US Netflix content. But apparently now Netflix (and Hulu, from what I've heard) are folding under the pressure of the studios and limiting the access of non-US users to US content. This is going to end up biting them in the ass. I know that I for one will be cancelling my subscription if I can no longer access US Netflix. Why should I continue paying more than a US user does for significantly less and not as up to date content.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:33 am 

netflix is kind of a joke. they have the same stuffon netflix that they had when i got rid of i 4 years ago. we canceled hulu also but we only have amazon prime at this point.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]