Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Electric Wizard - Time to Die
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:21 am 

1. Witchcult Today
2. Dopethrone
3. Let Us Prey
4. Black Masses
5. We Live
6. Come My Fanatics
7. Time To Die
8. Electric Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:05 am 

1. electric wizard
2. witchcult today

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:41 pm 

1) Witchcult Today
2) We Live
3) Black Masses
4) Electric Wizard
5) Let Us Prey
6) Come My Fanatics
7) Time To Die
8) Dopethrone

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:10 pm 

1. Come My Fanatics
2. Black Masses
3. Witchcult Today
4. Dopethrone
5. We Live
6. Let Us Prey
7. Electric Wizard

Not sure where I would rank the new one yet.....seems like it takes a while for their new shit to grow on me. What I have heard so far has not inspired me to make the purchase. I hated Black Masses when it came out (mostly due to production), but I think it is a great record, best songwriting they have ever done.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:01 am 

This is boring, lifeless junk. Their worst by a country mile. "Black Masses" is an award winner comparatively, and I think that one sucks most days as well. Though it's weird...I enjoyed "Masses" one particular purely shitty day last December. I remember it well, because my friend was jamming it in the car, and I thought..."Huh, this is actually not as bad as I remembered." Must have been the moment, because I tried listening to it on my own on headphones and thought it was pure shit again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 am 

Core9 wrote:
1. Come My Fanatics
2. Black Masses
3. Witchcult Today
4. Dopethrone
5. We Live
6. Let Us Prey
7. Electric Wizard

Not sure where I would rank the new one yet.....seems like it takes a while for their new shit to grow on me. What I have heard so far has not inspired me to make the purchase. I hated Black Masses when it came out (mostly due to production), but I think it is a great record, best songwriting they have ever done.

I agree with you, Black Masses has by far their best songwriting. The production works for it really well in my opinion.

That's what lets me down a little about this new one, not really any quality songs, more like expanded jams on good riffs. I don't dislike it, though it's certainly a step down. The length makes it hard to take on the whole...

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 am 

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a pile of half-baked jams. Was beginning to wonder, after seeing so much positive reaction in reviews, message boards, and Facebook groups, etc. Guess it doesn't take much to please some people...

Been a fan since the first album, and this is by far their worst. There's just no songs to speak of! Shame, as I thought the last two records were really good mixes of catchy songwriting and raw, trippy production.

If you want some horror-themed doom, buy the new Blood Farmers instead.

Seriously, it took them four years to come up with this???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:49 am 

I'm a long-time Wiz follower, but I have to admit to not caring much post-Let us Prey. To each their own from We Live onward, though I really enjoy Witchcult quite a bit.

This is the nadir though, and I love my ugly sludge music. Much like Sabbath's 13, Time to Die has songs that go on, and on, and on, but do very little. At least 13 had a couple of keepers like the awesome "Damaged Soul." This does not.

I like long songs, but this is way too low on ideas for my taste. Say what I want about my feelings on Black Masses, they still had some ideas going and seemed like they were trying to write songs. There's no songs here, and even less effort. I'm a completest, yet I can't see myself ever buying this album unless it's in the $2 cutout bin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:12 pm 

An interview with Jus.

http://www.mixcloud.com/realrebelradio/ ... erview-an/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 pm 

I haven't even heard the new record, but I'm kind of surprised how fast some people are writing it and the band off. I think it's easy to take the Wiz for granted because their brand of psychedelic doom metal has inspired a glut of bands using the same style of riffing, the same aesthetics, etc. I'll still buy the album and support the band because it's fucking Electric Wizard...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 am 

I'm listening to it now (only the third time, and with a buzz) and can't really punch holes in it. It sounds like Electric Wizard to me.

I kind of think they're damned that they defined themselves from the get-go on Fanatics (17 fucking years ago!), so anything they do will be held up against that. They definitely fall in the AC/DC/Motorhead proto-type that anything they do will be a very slight variation of their own winning formula, so I see this album as an attempt at a looser/jammy vibe.

They really could have tightened the album up, but there are a lot of killer moments. If you introduced this to some kid today born in the nineties with an inclination toward rock/heavy who never heard E-Wiz, they'd be crapping their pants!

People are too hard on bands like this; who mastered a form and have just stuck with it. Take them for what they are. 15 years ago, when this band and High on Fire were really just firing up as new deals, I'd had said that HoF were 20 times the band E-Wiz were, but in this day there is something comforting hearing an album like this from E-Wiz when the last HoF doesn't sound anything like 'Art of Self Defense'.

I'm all for bands experimenting, but having the insight whether you're "over-reaching" or "stuck in a rut" is crucial.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:41 am 

Mr Red wrote:
I'm listening to it now (only the third time, and with a buzz) and can't really punch holes in it. It sounds like Electric Wizard to me.

I kind of think they're damned that they defined themselves from the get-go on Fanatics (17 fucking years ago!), so anything they do will be held up against that. They definitely fall in the AC/DC/Motorhead proto-type that anything they do will be a very slight variation of their own winning formula, so I see this album as an attempt at a looser/jammy vibe.

They really could have tightened the album up, but there are a lot of killer moments. If you introduced this to some kid today born in the nineties with an inclination toward rock/heavy who never heard E-Wiz, they'd be crapping their pants!

People are too hard on bands like this; who mastered a form and have just stuck with it. Take them for what they are. 15 years ago, when this band and High on Fire were really just firing up as new deals, I'd had said that HoF were 20 times the band E-Wiz were, but in this day there is something comforting hearing an album like this from E-Wiz when the last HoF doesn't sound anything like 'Art of Self Defense'.

I'm all for bands experimenting, but having the insight whether you're "over-reaching" or "stuck in a rut" is crucial.

Well put.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 pm 

One songwriter means sooner or later the band runs out of ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 am 

What Mr Red says. A little drawn out in parts but overall I've been enjoying it. Definitely a bigger Alice Cooper/Stooges vibe on this one compared to other albums which is fine with me. I bought it on a whim and had low expectations given the reviews which may have worked in its favour.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:43 pm 

http://www.verdammnis.com/interviews/El ... WIZARD.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 am 

They should have Liz do more interviews. I enjoyed that. She comes across like a real person, as opposed to Jus's hyperbole and caricature persona...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2