Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 61 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL 14-15
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:36 pm 

Trading Oduya would be a huge mistake. He works his ass off, and stays in amazing shape.
Of the two possible moves, Leddy is the one I'd make. Yes, he's still young with some good experience under his belt, but he looks lost for long stretches on the ice. His age, and speed will make him appealing to at least a few teams. Leddy, and Roszival are who i'd like to see depart.
Sharp, too if they can get a decent return for him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Trading Oduya would be a huge mistake.

Totally. I am still surprised Winnipeg let him go so cheaply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 pm 

If I recall correctly, WPG fans had given him the nickname "the pizza man" for his tendency to deliver bad turnovers. Playing with one of the most underrated D men in the league (Hjalmarsson) has seemed to stabilize his game.
I remember when the trade was made, Ryan Electrocution said I would like Oduya, and he was right. One of the better moves the Hawks have made in the past few years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Playing with one of the most underrated D men in the league (Hjalmarsson) has seemed to stabilize his game.

Him for Cam Barker was absolute rape.

Marko Dano is skating on the CBJ's 2nd line tonight with Anisimov & Hartnell. He looked fantastic the other night vs. CAR & Rotoworld likes him as a waiver wire claim if he sticks. Went to the Jackets annual party at the Columbus Zoo for the season ticket holders. Will post pictures when I get them on Photobucket.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:36 pm 

Hartnell
Left to Right, Corey Tropp, Curtis McIlhenny, & Jack Johnson
Anisimov & Tyutin
L to R, Wisniewski, David Savard, & Michael Chaput
Far to near, Marko Dano, Dalton Prout, & Nathan Horton... Amazing he's not in a wheelchair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:15 am 

Woo Hoo! Joey signed a back-loaded deal! 3 yrs/$12 million.... $3 mill/$3 mill/$6 mill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:37 pm 

Solid bridge deal. If he continues to produce like last year, he will be a very rich man in 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:39 am 

Yeah, I like it, too. The one guy from The Hockey News loves it from the Jackets perspective, noting that both sides can claim victory. Lemme see if I can find it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue- ... nsen-deal/

In the end, the Ryan Johansen imbroglio ended up rather predictably and much like many of these situations resolve themselves. Each side gives a little and takes a little, with both being able to save face and capable of claiming they made a good deal.
But that middle part, boy, that was a nasty piece of work. The Blue Jackets had the high ground when it came to what they were offering Johansen on a two-year bridge deal, but they certainly did their part to drag this whole process through the mud. The demands Johansen and agent Kurt Overhardt made were pretty outrageous – although Overhardt says they were erroneous – but the fact that this whole thing got as dirty as it did was largely because of the Blue Jackets and their move to personally besmirch the agent.
“It never got ugly, it never got personal from our side, ever,” Overhardt said. “I could say the way people acted on the other side was unprofessional and unnecessary, but we’re not going to worry about that.”
The end result was a three-year deal worth $12 million for a cap hit of $4 million per season. But the key is the way the deal was structured. In each of the first two years of the deal, Johansen will receive just $3 million per season, but his salary will jump to $6 million in 2016-17. That’s significant because that will be the starting point for negotiations in the summer of 2017. If the Blue Jackets want to re-sign Johansen, their qualifying offer will have to be at least $6 million. If they choose to take him to arbitration, the best they could hope for is a 15 percent pay cut, which would peg his salary for 2017-18 at a minimum of $5.1 million.
“When you look at the structure, it’s pretty clear what we were trying to do,” Overhardt said.
So in an absolute worst-case scenario, Johansen will make a total of $17.1 million over the next four seasons. That’s an average salary of $4.275. Not a bad deal for the team.
But let’s say that Johansen and Overhardt were right all along about Johansen’s talent and potential and he steps into the Jackets lineup and becomes an 80-100-point stud starting this season and through the three years of the deal. Let’s say then that he’s worth $8 million a season by that time on an eight-year deal. That would mean that for the next six years, the Blue Jackets would have Johansen for an average of $6 million per season – $12 million for the next three and $24 million for the first three of the new deal. Then they’d have him for an average of $8 million for the five seasons after that. If he completely knocks it out of the park and proves himself worthy of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane money, the AAV on the next six years of the deal would go to $7 million, then $10 million for the last five of the deal.
So in a way, the Blue Jackets come out of this able to say that they won because they managed to keep the first two years of the deal at a reasonable number. If Johansen is as good as he and his agent are projecting, the Blue Jackets will be only too happy to give him enormous money and term. They’ve already said as much. What they didn’t want to do was back the Brinks truck up to the home of a player who had essentially only had one very good season. The Blue Jackets committed serious money and term to Rick Nash and are still smarting from that experience.
So they needed some sort of assurance that situation wasn’t going to play itself out again. The only way this deal goes absolutely sideways for the Blue Jackets is Johansen turns out to be a one-year wonder who either goes bust or has two years that are filled with injury.
And Johansen comes out of this having been rewarded for taking a stand that was entirely within his rights to take. (As a side note, we’re seeing numerous reports that Johansen has ended his ‘holdout’. For the umpteenth time, he wasn’t holding out. He didn’t have a contract.) Johansen doesn’t get near as much as he wanted for the first two years of the deal, but will make the Blue Jackets pay at the other end and sets himself up quite well for a big payday in the future.
Both sides can claim victory, but the Blue Jackets won by a bigger margin than Johansen did. And there’s no shame in that for the player. The collective bargaining agreement is structured to make it that way.
“It’s a great opportunity for Ryan to show what he’s about and to contribute,” Overhardt said. “It will be fun to see where he goes with this in the next couple of years.”
And really, if things work out as planned, this will all be poisoned water under the bridge three years from now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

Well the Avs looked like a fucking AHL team tonight.

I thought we got these old guys to shake us out of situations like this?!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 am 

Crutch wrote:
Well the Avs looked like a fucking AHL team tonight.

I thought we got these old guys to shake us out of situations like this?!?

That was unbelievable. I had that game on before I fell asleep last night. Not only was the final score unreal, but I still really can't get over how badly they were outshot. On a positive note, I can't wait for Roy to flip out Roy-style.

Sure, the CBJ was just playing Buffalo, but no Dubie, no Jenner, no Murray, no Horton, no problem. Very much looking forward to the home opener tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:38 pm 

Busy day today. All 30 teams play.

How about Johnny Boychuk on the Islanders? He answers a lot of questions for that team and with Halak in net instead of Nabokov, this team can cause the Metropolitan division some problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:39 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Busy day today. All 30 teams play.

How about Johnny Boychuk on the Islanders? He answers a lot of questions for that team and with Halak in net instead of Nabokov, this team can cause the Metropolitan division some problems.

Indeed. Some teams look surprisingly not good. Will be interesting to see where everyone is at the end of the month.

I agree that East is wide open & that if NYI can keep the puck out of the net, they could open plenty of eyes. They're not that far removed from a playoff season, they have better goaltending, & the D got upgraded quick. Tavares, Okposo, & Neilsen can all finish. I say this while still keeping in mind that Carolina will be in the McDavid sweeps if Ward & Khudobin aren't fantastic.

I'm so stoked to be a CBJ fan right now. Dano brings it every shift! Youngest team in the league! Plenty of talent in the minors & juniors, plus even more coming off IR. 4 ferocious lines. World class goaltending. What more could I really ask for at this point?

Also, PGH looks like a pissed off team. Can only hope MAF lets too many past him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:56 pm 

What with Roy trying to play the goon card against Minnesota the other night?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:41 am 

I imagine it was trying to wake the Avs up. The elbow Johnson made was sneaky and I'm glad he got penalized for it. Probably should've gotten a suspension, but perhaps the NHL figured the score was punishment enough.

At least we got one in Boston because Briere is clutch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:25 am 

Awesome photos Gene!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:25 am 

The horn of every NHL team after they score a goal.

http://wejustscored.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 pm 

Any Panthers fans here? Oh wait, the Panthers don't have ANY fans.

anyone else prefer going to minor league ? cheaper everything and more fights.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm 

Panthers lol

I prefer NHL. But ive gone to my fair share of AHL games (mostly when i lived in a non-NHL state)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Panthers lol

Could be worse. Could be an Oilers fan, but that would probably invite pity rather than ridicule.

...or an Avs fan. I'm saving up for a Jack Eichel jersey at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:50 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Mr Neutron wrote:
Panthers lol

Could be worse. Could be an Oilers fan, but that would probably invite pity rather than ridicule.
...or an Avs fan. I'm saving up for a Jack Eichel jersey at this point.

5 games does not a season make. I didnt think the Avs would have a lot of that "magic" that they had last season, and they do play in the toughest conference.
Hell, there were Hawks fans absolutely furious with the loss against Cgy the other night. The Hawks attempted over 100 shots, and got 1 goal. Those games happen, as do games like opening night when Dal outplayed them for 90% of the game, yet still lost.
Long season, lots of weird bounces and such still to come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:50 am 

My Devils opened strong the first couple of games, but have lost the last two now. Cammaleri was a good signing as he's scored like 5 times already along with a bunch of assissts. We'll see how the season works out, but I'm cautiosly optimistic.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

Ala wrote:
My Devils opened strong the first couple of games, but have lost the last two now. Cammaleri was a good signing as he's scored like 5 times already along with a bunch of assissts. We'll see how the season works out, but I'm cautiosly optimistic.

I think your optimism is valid. Cammaleri was, apparently, just what the doctor ordered for anemic goal scoring last year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Ala wrote:

I think your optimism is valid. Cammaleri was, apparently, just what the doctor ordered for anemic goal scoring last year.

Yeah, exactly. And that rookie, Stevenson, is off to a pretty good start as well. That combined with the oldies like Jagr and Elias, Schenider getting full confidence as number 1 and, hopefully, some better defense, and we're suddenly looking pretty good.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:01 pm 

Remind we why we bother with this stupid All-Star game.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm 

The All-Star game is for the kids and bragging rights in the skills competition but it seems like nobody wants to have anything to do with it anymore. Did you see that ridiculous draft last night? Ovi is such a nitwit. I laughed hard because he was drafted 3rd to last and the last 2 guys both got the cars that he wouldn't shut up about.

Panthers ain't half bad for a young team. I"m really surprised the Avs are doing so poorly this year but I'm still glad for my Blues that Stastny ended up on our side. He's putting it together finally. Hitch's been driving me crazy changing lines and when he did put the most logical combos together they fucking slayed. Steen-Backes-Oshie/Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko/Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin, leave that shit alone!!! One can only assume he's changing lines up during the regular season to be prepared for the playoffs in case of injuries, which makes sense since pretty much the whole team was playing hurt at the start of last years playoffs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 61 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next