Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 61 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: NHL 14-15
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:09 am 

Free agency!

What did your team do?

Post subject: Re: NHL 14-15
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm 

Resigned Ray Emery and a couple of minor leaguers. Nothing to get excited over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 pm 

Ive been amazed by the dumb money thrown around (as i am every year)

Chicago got Brad Richards, resigned Antii Raanta, Jeremy Morin & Ben Smith for $500k less than Dave Bolland will get. Dave Bolland.

Im still hearing rumblings that Patrick Sharp is going to be traded, he has become the defacto whipping boy on the Hawks board I frequent (particularly since Handzus is gone.)

The West has gotten MUCH stronger, and the Central division is going to be even better than last year, i think.
Can't. Wait.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:41 pm 

Not thrilled that Statsny left and EXTREMELY not thrilled that he went to a division rival. But we've got nothing but centers so I understand it.

I understand Sakic's desire to add veteren experience with Iginla and Briere. Brad Stuart was probably not the best option as far as defense goes, but definitely more affordable than others.

The Avs seem to be allergic to spending money in these cap days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 am 

Stuart was probably one of the better defensemen available. Not really convinced about the other UFA defensemen.

Just disappointed the Avs didn't trade Stasny at the deadline last year and get something for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am 

I thought Orpik would be one of those guys that would fit well with the Avs. But not at that price. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm 

I'm interested to see how Ryan O'Reilly plays out in Col.
I know it has been contentious between the 2 parties for awhile. I wonder if Stastny leaving pushes the Avs to lock up ROR long term.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:06 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
I'm interested to see how Ryan O'Reilly plays out in Col.
I know it has been contentious between the 2 parties for awhile. I wonder if Stastny leaving pushes the Avs to lock up ROR long term.

IF he'll even take it from this organization at this point considering how contentious its been. I don't understand the Avs position on this. Seems like he's worth what he's asking for, and with the cap going up (and likely to keep going up until the next lock out) I don't see any reason not to keep him.

But Sakic says he wants to sign him and Barrie (both by the same agency) to long term deals, so who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:19 pm 

Is there gonna be a fantasy league this year?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:43 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Is there gonna be a fantasy league this year?

Yes. I sent the invites out, so if you were in the league last year, you should see something in your inbox next time you check it.

I have tentatively set the draft for 7 PM, Oct 5th. That's the last Sunday before the season starts. It's 25 days off, so we have time to jockey it around to allow as many people as possible to be involved. I have some friends who want in, so I think we can hit 12 teams anyways, even if everyone doesn't return.

Mr. Neutron, I will message the link to you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:21 pm 

Man, I really liked Orpik, but Matt Calvert faked him out of his jock so bad in Game 4 last season vs. CBJ, I lost a little appreciation for him. The crossbar bailed him out. I was surprised that PGH let Niskanen walk. I like him a lot, but not enough that I think he'll make WSH a playoff team.

CBJ's still dealing with inner growth & I think there is still plenty left. Cam Atkinson's shooting % was terrible & he still scored 21 goals. Calvert, Boone Jenner, Ryan Murray, Denis Savard, & Dalton Prout still have improvement on the horizon. Prout finished 3rd in rookie +/- in 2013-2014, amassing +15 in only 28 games & didn't get one single solitary point in RoY voting. Simon Hjalmersson is going to be really good, too. Kerby Rychel & Alex Wennberg could both make the team, realistically, too. I was sorry to see Derek McKenzie go, but they are still deep. Michael Chaput would make any other team & I really am not sure where they are going to have room for Jerry D'Amigo, Corey Tropp, who is a beast, & Brian Gibbons. If Horton contributes anything, it will be a vast improvement over last year.

The elephant in the room is Ryan Johansen. He's nuts asking for $6.5 million. Yes, he was the youngest guy in the league to score 30 goals last season, but he's only posted one good year & he's still a RFA. I think they can make the playoffs again without him, but I don't think they can make the East finals without him. & yes, I totally think the East is up for grabs. Chara is now 37, PGH frankly has a lot to prove, the Rangers will only go as far as Lundqvist will carry them, & I'm not sold on MTL by any stretch of the imagination.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:30 pm 

There are 6 spots left in the league & 5 guys who have not renewed from last season. I have invited some people to play this year, but am resisting other invites until everyone who played last year says "yay" or "nay" one way or the other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am 

Was waiting on some guys last night and one looked very familiar, but I couldn't quite place him. I thought he might've been a guy who reffed some games in my hockey league last year. Then he gave me his credit card to pay the tab...Brian Engblom. Ha.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
Was waiting on some guys last night and one looked very familiar, but I couldn't quite place him. I thought he might've been a guy who reffed some games in my hockey league last year. Then he gave me his credit card to pay the tab...Brian Engblom. Ha.

The year after the 1st lockout, he was the TV analyst for Columbus & was really nice. I met him a couple of times. He said straight up that when ESPN dropped the NHL contract, a bunch of them were scrambling for jobs. I think he might have won a Cup under Bowman in MTL & I know he was thebleague's leader in +/- one season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:11 pm 

Mullett wrote:
The elephant in the room is Ryan Johansen. He's nuts asking for $6.5 million. Yes, he was the youngest guy in the league to score 30 goals last season, but he's only posted one good year & he's still a RFA. I think they can make the playoffs again without him, but I don't think they can make the East finals without him.

Davidson's remarks didn't help the situation. Johansen is nuts asking for that, but they'll be using him like he's an elite $6.5 million player so I see where he (at least, his agent) are coming from. Davidson has to reconcile that there aren't that many players like Johansen beating down the door of the Blue Jackets to play for their team. And they can afford him. They just don't want this kind of precedent going forward, and I agree with that too.

All in all, I think he'll get signed. But if he does go the offer sheet route, I wonder who will be the one do it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Mullett wrote:
The elephant in the room is Ryan Johansen. He's nuts asking for $6.5 million. Yes, he was the youngest guy in the league to score 30 goals last season, but he's only posted one good year & he's still a RFA. I think they can make the playoffs again without him, but I don't think they can make the East finals without him.

Davidson's remarks didn't help the situation. Johansen is nuts asking for that, but they'll be using him like he's an elite $6.5 million player so I see where he (at least, his agent) are coming from. Davidson has to reconcile that there aren't that many players like Johansen beating down the door of the Blue Jackets to play for their team.

All in all, I think he'll get signed. But if he does go the offer sheet route, I wonder who will be the one do it?

I am totally OK with Davidson's comments as I was with Howson coming out & saying that Nash asked for the trade. Howson took a lot of shit for that & the trade, but Columbus totally won that trade. Furthermore, I don't agree that Columbus has problems signing free agents. They had no problem signing Horton or Wisniewski. Yes, Wisniewski had his negotiating rights traded to Columbus, but he didn't have to sign. He was the 9th highest scoring D in the NHL last season & will be the 30th highest paid D in the league during the upcoming season. Wisniewski had more A & a better PTS/G ratio than Subban. He was also 0 to Subban's -4.

Fuck Joey. He's worth maybe $4.25 in a bridge deal. His season was good, not awesome. 33 goals is great, but he only posted 63 points & was outscored by Bryan Little & Blake Wheeler of WPG & Kyle Okposo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 pm 

Mullett wrote:
Fuck Joey.

I shouldn't quite say that. Fuck Overhardt. I love Davidson & Kek turning him away. Overhardt was behind Tim Thomas's flakeyness & Kyle Turris' holdout. Massive difference between Turris & Joey is that Turris wanted out of Phx & Joey really likes Columbus. Not unlike what John Buccigross said, Joey should fire Overhardt, find a good comp (Matt Duchene or Derek Stepan), & call Kek & Davidson himself. He might still be able to get 2 yr/$6 mill. Otherwise, he'll be lucky to get 2 yr/$4.5 mill.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 pm 

You pay far more attention to these things than I do, but I'm not sure what Columbus is quibbling over. They've made several bad deals in the past, what's one more? That guy who went to LA, that defenseman from the Av's that was supposed to be their savior. At least this guy is young, shows a lot of promise, and wants to be there. It doesn't look like they've got any top guys beating down the door to get in, maybe they should suck it up and get on with it. I like the new GM, and I think Davidson is top notch, so whatever. All this shit is stupid ultimately anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:52 pm 

I love you, lftwng4, you've been one of my best friends for over 30 years, but based on our phone conversation today, remind me to stop calling. Best to Mrs. Lftwng4.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:27 pm 

Send him to Chicago for Sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:05 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:

Isn't CHI over the cap? Is the difference between Sharp & the amount Joey's agent wants enough to get them under? Joey's agent has dropped the demands to $4.7 million/season, over $2 million less than his original proposal. Kek & Davidson are not negotiating. When Overhart turns in a number they'll accept, they'll say "yes".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:08 pm 

Mullett wrote:
Mr Neutron wrote:

Isn't CHI over the cap? Is the difference between Sharp & the amount Joey's agent wants enough to get them under? Joey's agent has dropped the demands to $4.7 million/season, over $2 million less than his original proposal. Kek & Davidson are not negotiating. When Overhart turns in a number they'll accept, they'll say "yes".

Yeah, the Hawks are over. How about Shaw, and Roszival? or Leddy.

One of the "bloggers" I occasionally laugh at suggested the Hawks were looking into Johannsen. Amusing, because theyre already struggling with the cap, and it will only be worse next year (Toews' & Kane's big raises kick in, 3 arbitration eligible players)
Im really hoping Dale Tallon's infatuation with his former players continues, and we can dump some salary to Fla.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm 

From today's chat with Craig Custance on ESPN.com

Anthony D (jersey)

give me your best guess on who the hawks trade to get under the cap and to whom?
Craig Custance (1:36 PM)

Nick Leddy. To whom is a great question. If I'm Dallas, I'm making a play but I don't know if Chicago would want to go down that path. The Islanders make sense. Maybe even a team like Calgary, early in the rebuilding process but willing to add a good young defenseman into the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 pm 

Here's a really dumb question from it that's salary dump related.

Jonathan (Cincinnati)

I've heard some people say that the Blackhawks are overdue for a regression season but I just don't see it with this roster. Could trading the wrong guy mean a 1st round exit or are these folks crazy?
Craig Custance (1:43 PM)

Really? Who is saying the Blackhawks are due for a regression? If people are really saying that, they're wrong.
Craig Custance (1:44 PM)

One more thing Jonathan - the one guy who could upset the balance of things if he's traded is Johnny Oduya. If Stan Bowman trades Oduya, that would be a mistake to me. It's no coincidence their record is off the charts since they got him. That pair with Hjalmarsson plays some tough minutes. Frees of Keith/Seabrook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:43 pm 

We've got 8 teams & with the exception of Russell, it's all PHI & CBJ. I sent out one last invite. Here's the link.

https://yho.com/nhl?l=31478&k=2fc4a17103d72821

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 61 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next