Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 20 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baseball 2014
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:53 am 

Looks like I am late to the party but Joe Madden got to opt out of his contract with TB and chose to do so. Seems like the Cubs are the immediate leading candidates for him despite the LAD connection, who are publically backing Mattitngly. I have to figure Friedman would have had some sense for the direction Madden was going to take following his own departure, that if he and the Dodgers were truly going to vie for his services they would been a little more tactful and less emphatic in throwing their support behind Mattingly from the get go. That said, crazier things have definitely happened. If they end up as suitors it wouldn't be all together shocking.

As for the Cubs, they would seem to be the perfect landing spot for him; home grown talent in the pipeline, big market and money to spend, and a solid front office to work with. Plus, he should be able to get the $25 million contract he is looking for from them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:33 pm 

This would indeed seem to be a play for the Cubs gig, which I think would be a lot of fun, combining that guy's personality with that city. He'll be a legend (in a good way, as opposed to someone like Dusty Baker).

I think the Dodgers know this too, which is why they're standing by Mattingly, at least publically.

I missed the game last night with a family function. Sounds like Guthrie stepped for KC big-time, which is exactly what they needed. I don't really know what happened outside of that. I feel like tonight is a make-or-break game for SF now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:44 pm 

Ball is now in SF's court, IMO. With Bumgarner up, SF should be able to make it 3-2. "Big Game" James has been anything but this offseason, now would be a good time for him to show up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:57 pm 

RIP Oscar Tavares.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 pm 

Adam wrote:
RIP Oscar Tavares.

Heard about this last night. This is awful news.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 am 

Yes, very, very sad news all around.

If I had to bet, I'd wager we'll get a Game 7 this year. Just don't have a lot of faith in Peavy on the road, when the Royals have seen him so many times with Chicago. But hey, I'm up for a Game 7. It'll make the Giants championship that much sweeter! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Cubs are hiring Joe Maddon as manager.
Maddon opted out of his contract with the Rays on October 24 and took less than a week to land a new gig. He's joining a Cubs team that is very much on the rise, and with much more financial freedom than what he was working with in Tampa Bay. Reports had Maddon seeking a five-year contract worth $25 million and the Cubs presumably met those demands. It's not clear what the immediate future holds for Rick Renteria, who was named Cubs manager last November on a three-year deal.

That didn't take long. I am going to make a crazy guess and say Renteria goes to Minnesota. I had read that Paul Molitor is the lead dog in the Minny head coach race, but I feel like if they had their man in Molitor they would have signed him a while ago now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 pm 

been through this with Dusty & Pinella.

just win the fucking world series, and it won't matter if Andy the Clown is the manager.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 pm 

Bumgarner is damn ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
If I had to bet, I'd wager we'll get a Game 7 this year. Just don't have a lot of faith in Peavy on the road, when the Royals have seen him so many times with Chicago. But hey, I'm up for a Game 7. It'll make the Giants championship that much sweeter! :)

\m/ \m/

Mr Neutron wrote:
Bumgarner is damn ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:18 am 

Bumgarner is inhuman! I don't think this KC lineup ranks with the 2001 Yankees lineup Schilling shut down (steroids), but it was still damn impressive.

Stoked! I'm actually pulling for SF to resign Panda, which they should unless the Yankees or Boston throw stupid money at him (it could happen). Although he didn't put up the stats Panda or Pence did, I was happy Belt got a hit in every WS game and moved every SF run that scored in Game 7. You gotta think that guys that are moving into the dust-bin of their career, but have serious skills/savy (Tim Hudson) will consider SF a great place to play/chase a ring.

Bring on free agancy/hot stove!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

Bumgarner kind of proved that pitch counts are a farce. Guy pitches over 100 pitches on Sunday and then throws close to 80 last night. Because of all the teams "protecting" their starters you never see what Bumgarner did anymore. Hopefully, teams loosen up and let their starters pitch longer and/or on shorter rest more often now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 pm 

i hope the cubs end up having to give the rays a prospect for tampering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
Bumgarner is inhuman! I don't think this KC lineup ranks with the 2001 Yankees lineup Schilling shut down (steroids), but it was still damn impressive.

Stoked! I'm actually pulling for SF to resign Panda, which they should unless the Yankees or Boston throw stupid money at him (it could happen). Although he didn't put up the stats Panda or Pence did, I was happy Belt got a hit in every WS game and moved every SF run that scored in Game 7. You gotta think that guys that are moving into the dust-bin of their career, but have serious skills/savy (Tim Hudson) will consider SF a great place to play/chase a ring.

Bring on free agancy/hot stove!

I almost think SF has to sign Sandoval now, especially after his performance in this WS. When you add all of his WS accomplishments together, you just have too, he has to be a Giant- hell, he is only 28 and he has proven he doesn't have to be in great shape to play great. The big problem is going to be Posey. This series proved he has to move to first base. He was TOTALLY out of gas, over the past week, some of those swings were horrific- you could tell he was exhausted. Sitting behind the plate all year is wearing him down, so much so that he can't perform in the post season. Not sure what to do with Belt then, he doesn't seem mobile enough for the outfield. Can't wait to see Joe Panik get even better, he will be fun to watch in the years to come.

Last edited by delasull on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 pm 

the red sox and yankeess are going to have a bidding war for pablo. buater is going to 3rd. susac. will be catching and belt will play first. if all goes well it should be a pretty solid infield defensively for years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am 

Demon Lung wrote:
the red sox and yankeess are going to have a bidding war for pablo. buater is going to 3rd. susac. will be catching and belt will play first. if all goes well it should be a pretty solid infield defensively for years.

buster at 3rd? interesting. I know it is sacrilegious but I wanted to see susac behind the plate towards the end of the series. I know buster calls a great game and most of the pitchers (except lincecum) like having him back there but it sure would have been nice for susac to get some AB's especially with posey looking so exhausted with a bat in his hand. I know, I know, susac will get his chance...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:14 pm 

Just read that Kung Fu Panda might be looking for a $100 million deal. I wouldn't give it to him, personally.

SF is in a tough spot with him; he has his moments (at the most important times) when he shows he's worth it, but he has plenty of moments (and seasons) when he isn't. Given the role he has played in SF's championships, what do you do? He's probably worth the annual $$$ he is looking for from SF, but the years could be a scary proposition. The moment his bat speed/hand-eye coordination/whatnot shows some signs of age, his value takes a huge hit and he become a huge liability.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:21 am 

100?

nope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 pm 

The Giants should sign him and public sentiment in the fanbase is strong, but Boston is reportedly going to be offering mad money, like 5 yrs at 25 even, and enticing him with the fact that he could DH at some point (which makes those burgers taste even better). Not sure the Giants would match that, with Headley available, or the internal option.

Oh btw, for the record, everyone is talking about Buster at first or third, except for management. They say hands down no way, which is stupid if they mean that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 pm 

hheadley probably wont make the mistake of signing with a team in a big stadium. all that he is going to get from anyone is a year because he has regressed dramatically. i bet he takes a one year deal for a team in a hitters park. like atlanta or even the yankees. he could also be a good option for the red sox if they fail to sign panda. hes gonna want to do what nelson cruz did this tear. gamble on himslef and try to have abig year so he can get a long term deal next year.

adam i have strong opinions about the mets right now. i tink they should try to trade david wright to the dbacks for gregarious and montero. they should move darnaud to LF and let Flores play 3rd. that one move would make them a solid team and gregorious has the ramnge to make up for any range issues flores has at 3rd or murphy has at second.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:43 am 

As much baseball sense as it might make, especially if you believe this past season was beginning of the end for him, but it would sting a little to see Wright get traded. At least he gave the team some identity amidst their crappiness. But he did kinda suck this past season and his power all but MIA. I didn't watch/follow the Mets enough this past season to know, but if the perception is that he won't be able to return to 2013 form, yeah, trading him makes sense...which, therefore means, the Mets have absolutely no intention of doing that.

I do like Gregorious as a trade target for the Mets, though. Montero would also be nice but looks like AZ is looking for pitching and I wouldn't bother trading the one area of strength for the Mets for an area that is not a huge need. I would think a Niese for Montero type trade might work for both sides.

Quote:

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks "are shopping" Miguel Montero.
He adds that the club is merely in "listening mode" at this point, but they "would move Montero for the right offer." The D'Backs lack an internal replacement for Montero, but they're apparently willing to trade him for pitching help. Montero has failed to eclipse a .700 OPS the last two seasons, but he's mostly been very durable and, as Rosenthal notes, led all catchers in pitch framing this season, according to Statcorner.com.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:13 am 

Demon Lung wrote:
adam i have strong opinions about the mets right now. i tink they should try to trade david wright to the dbacks for gregarious and montero. they should move darnaud to LF and let Flores play 3rd. that one move would make them a solid team and gregorious has the ramnge to make up for any range issues flores has at 3rd or murphy has at second.

Wright's contract will be tough to move. Plus, right now he is the face of the franchise and for the most part the guy that most people coming to Citi Bank want to see. It's a good idea, but I just don't see it happening. Plus, I would think the Mets would want more than Gregorious and Montero for him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 am 

Rockies extend a $15.3 million qualifying offer to Cuddyer.

Pretty surprising and Cuddyer has to be thinking twice about accepting it, as with the draft pick attached to his signing that should definitely threaten his market some. He is getting old and injury prone that teams might be reluctant to give him multiple years, but with the draft pick attached you also want more value than a short term deal. He might be best off accepting that offer and taking it to the bank.

If he does, I wonder if that might mean Cargo becomes available on the trade market? They have depth in the OF and they might like the idea of clearing payroll. I think Corey Dickerson is for real and he would definitely have to be if Cargo were to get traded. I think the organization still over rates Blackmon. He's a 4th outfielder who the club probably wants to be their starting CF.

And Paul Molitor finally got the job in Minny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:20 am 

Sandoval wants six years and he'll probably get it between NYC, Boston and SF vying for his services. I have to admit I do like "keeping the band together" approach SF has been winning with and would like to see him land back there although they'll rue the last couple years of that contract.

Didn't get to comment on it because I was on the road for a week, but that was a fuckin' classic World Series!!! Bumgarner is truly inhuman.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:47 pm 

froggy, wrights contract wouldnt be hard to move if the mets ate like half og it like they should. they made a mistake by building a stadium for a guy and then signing the other guy and letting the guy you built the stadium for leave in free agency. i think the mets wish they had that one back.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 20 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next