Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baseball 2014
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 pm 

KC! You magnificent bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:00 pm 

Would have NEVER expected this ALCS. Happy to see KC sweep Anaheim and do so with such authority. If this is Hosmer's coming out party and it carries into next season, watch out.

Sorry to see Detroit get bounced. I am starting to think these guys are nearing the end of their window. They probably have one last shot next year while Price is still around, but Verlander looks shot, Cabrera isn't getting any younger, and beyond that the team won't have all that much come 2016 without spending more money. Will they have money to spend at that point? I wouldn't think so.

Now, if Detroit were to have waiting out Verlander a littler longer, like they should have, they probably would not be in this situation. Same with Cabrera....I know he is still performing, but there was no need to give him that ridiculous extension when they did.

And who would have thought the one game Washington wins would be the one against Bumgarner? Been a crazy postseason so far....and i have watched absolutely none of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:32 pm 

As someone who put money down on Detroit going under 90 wins this year (they ended up with 90), I'll tell you they wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year if Houston hadn't cut JD Martinez and he ends up in Detroit with the out-of-the-blue year he had. They are in serious trouble now. Even if they resign Victor Martinez, they need to replace Scherzer and rebuild their bullpen. And even if they sign a significant SP (which won't be Scherzer), I see them as a team that'll be lucky to land a Wild Card spot with KC and Cleveland coming on. Their window in the hope of winning a World Series with this group is SHUT!

Kolten Wong just put St. Lou up 3-1 in Game 3. I know I should be sick of St. Louis by now, but for whatever reason I'm actually a lot sicker of the Dodgers. So I'm happy with this development. Lackey and Ryu both stepped up big in this game after having not-so-impressive seasons. Dodger pen blowing it though...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:05 pm 

Yeah, I can't disagree that Detroit's window for a WS is very likely closed. I won't close the door on them completely, but it definitely would be a shocker/upset if they were to pull it off. I do think they can continue competing for a playoff spot in 2015. They still have the best hitter in that division and with Price have someone capable of being the best SP in that division as well.

STL beats Kershaw.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 pm 

The Cards have definite OWNAGE over Kershaw. Tough thing to explain, and definitely not good for LA over the long run. It doesn't look like St. Louis is going away anytime soon.

Pretty stoked the Giants nailed it down tonight as well! Hoping for an all-Wild Card (SF/KC) World Series!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:19 pm 

Dan O'Dowd and Geivett are out in Colorado.....finally! Replacing O'Dowd from within isn't how I would have gone, but at least something happened. It can't be any worse than its been in Colorado these past few years.

I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:33 pm 

The new guy didn't say anything bold in his interview with MLB Network today. I guess I can see him being non-committal on his first day on the job. I guess only a real veteran executive could really make any definitive statements. Still, you would have liked to have heard some type of mission statement type of schpeel.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v3 ... th-mlb-now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:04 pm 

As we just saw with the Dan O'Dowd tenure in Colorado, if you keep your head down, follow the company line, and don't ruffle any feathers being the Rockies GM is a pretty cushy job with some nice job security.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:47 am 

Bullio wrote:
KC! You magnificent bastards!

Still going... 7-0 now in the postseason and 1 win away from the World Series. What a ride!! The three-headed monster (Herrera/Davis/Holland) is lights out... automatic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:17 pm 

KC to the World Series.

I am just hoping for a better ending to this hot streak than the one that greeted the Rockies and their hot streak in the 2007 WS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 pm 

KC's run has really been something to watch. Who the hell would have guessed they'd do something like this? They're definitely who I'll be cheering on, especially if STL pulls another WS appearance out of their ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm 

To think none of this would have happened if KC hadn't come back from a 7-3 deficit in the 8th inning against Oakland in the Wild Card game. But boy, am I sure glad it did happen! I really can't stand Oakland/Anaheim/Baltimore.

The SF/St. Louis series is/has been really great. I got a laff when Tom Verducci said Pierzyskwi had been watching World Cup Soccer when he flopped after Belt hit him with his bat backswing.

Hoping SF can pull this out. Also, you never see a team respond well in the World Series after sweeping 4-0, but this KC team has defied odds from the get-go. Should be a good Fall Classic.

Last edited by Mr Red on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm 

Greg Anderson posted this on the Southern Lord Facebook page today. That's Mark Trumbo on the right (with who I think is the Intronaut guy)...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 pm 

Wow, Matt Adams doesn't look like he has any business playing 1B in MLB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:24 am 

Also, everyone says "I wonder what Billy Beane/Andrew Friedman could do with a mega-payroll?" Well, I guess we'll find out now that Friedman has been handed the keys to the Dodger's franchise. As cliché as it may sound, a lot of their problem has been with chemistry which will be tough to overcome with that many high salaries puzzle-pieced together. It's like they don't have a Jeter or Pedroia to keep the clubhouse/egos in check. That would seem to be their main problem, along with Kershaw getting shelled every time the calendar turns to October.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
To think none of this would have happened if KC hadn't come back from a 7-3 deficit in the 8th inning against Oakland in the Wild Card game. But boy, am I sure glad it did happen! I really can't stand Oakland/Anaheim/Baltimore.

Precisely! That was the best baseball game I've ever seen. I still can't get over the fact that KC had 7 different players with stolen bases in that game. Some of their stats this postseason are mind-boggling.

Mr Red wrote:
The SF/St. Louis series is/has been really great. I got a laff when Tom Verducci said Pierzyskwi had been watching World Cup Soccer when he flopped after Belt hit him with his bat backswing.

It's called "diving" in hockey. The obvious embellishment was laughable. AJ was even laughing. It was pretty funny.

Mr Red wrote:
Hoping SF can pull this out. Also, you never see a team respond well in the World Series after sweeping 4-0, but this KC team has defied odds from the get-go. Should be a good Fall Classic.

For sure!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:53 pm 

As little interest as I have in the Dodgers, the Friedman signing is pretty interesting. I am pretty curious to see how he responds to a big budget and big market like LA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:23 am 

I love watching the Cardinals lose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:46 pm 

Another sweep by the senior circuit?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 am 

It's possible, but I'd bet on a five game series at this point. I think you can say that the Giants are an established dynasty at this point. People are calling Boston that and they won their three titles over ten, versus five for the Giants.

It is weird calling the Giants that when looking at the other 3/4 of their starting rotation: Peavy (7-13), Hudson (9-13) and Vogelsong (8-13). It all pretty much boils down to the man on top, Bruce Bochy and I really am starting to buy the talk that Posey is the next Jeter Captain-like figure/legend in this game.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Sandoval, as they haven't had the most friendly public relations this season. He always seems to come alive and be total money in October though. I think if they win, they'll pretty much have to bring him back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 am 

And Panda's best years (overall) are soon to be in the rear view mirror, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 am 

To be honest, before last night, I might have told you it would have gone 6 or 7. I really like what KC has over there. Very entertaining team, and wheels on the bags is one thing SF's pitchers struggle with. And still, it's only one game. But they just have that vibe again. The Giants in October, they make teams look sill, always as an underdog too. But you're right, at this point it just comes down to experience, and obviously superior leadership/management.

2 Rings
2 Cys
MVP
And so many weird individual records.

When I'm not pulling for the Giants, I really like what Pittsburgh, Nats, KC, Baltimore, Oakland all did this year and I hope they don't go away.

Not sure they will pay Pablo what he wants, but they may just based on his postseason glory. If not, there's talk of staying in house... Susac at C, Posey at 3rd (??), and keeping Belt at 1st...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 am 

i would love to see Posey at 3rd with susac catching next year. brandon belt is a .280 25 homerun 80 rbi type of guy and he is a quality feilder, so he should play first. they just have to do something about pagan. although they are doing everything without him he has been the catalyst for the team the past few years when hes been healthy but at this point hes pretty much done. it would be cool if the giants could rob lagares from the mets and slide him in to the leadoff spot playing cf. how much credit does bochy get for peavys succerss?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:18 am 

Huge game on Friday. Having Bumgarner going another start means that KC is going to have to win three out of the remaining four games to win the title though, so they're still at a pretty big disadvantage. I'd say it's even money whether the series ends up back in KC on Tuesday. They only have to get after Hudson or Vogelsong. They DID get after a lot of the SF bullpen, which was troublesome. Hell, I'll take a six or seven game series between these two teams...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 am 

Thinking of hitting a sports bar tonight to catch the game. Kinda surprised, to be honest, that KC is leading this one. Pleased though. Now let's see if they can keep the lead.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next