Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baseball 2014
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:42 pm 

Adam wrote:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/yasiel-puig-flips-his-bat-after-a-fly-ball-that-doesnt-even-make-the-warning-track/

Going, going, out. Nice bat flip, douche. So glad Puig is not on my team and I don't have to root for him.

He is way less infuriating than Sammy Sosa ever was. I'd take him on the Cubs. Of course, the Cubs stink, so nearly anyone would be an upgrade at a majority of the positions.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:20 am 

Mets release (technically demote, but he can and will opt out of his deal to be released) Kyle Farnsworth so they can save a few dollars and not have to pay him. Guy has been a valuable BP piece for them this season, even being a competent fill in at closer for them. Yet the Wilpons strike again with their backwards and cheap ways and choose to release him rather than allow his contract to become guaranteed. Only the freaking Mets. Farnsworth is pissed, understandably so. Mets fans should be too. He might not be who you want as your closer, but given that he has been pitching as well as he is, he is someone you want in your bullpen to ride the wave of success.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:54 am 

Presenting exhibit A for Goldschmidt being in this year's HR Derby.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:21 pm 

Hit up the Rockies game yesterday and got to see my first triple play happen live. That was pretty cool.

Speaking of the Rox, their offense this season has been absolutely insane. Not sure I have ever seen anything quite like it myself. I am sure there have been equally if not better offenses prior, just not with any team I followed. Been a fun ride; going to be sad to watch them return to earth.

And Mccain was freaking me out in that video. He looked wacked out.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:20 pm 

After turning down a $14.1m qualifying offer from Boston, Stephen Drew is back with them on a pro-rated 1 year/$10.17m deal. Whoops?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm 

Drew screwed up. At the same time, $10.7 million is more than he's worth even for an entire season.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 pm 

Cubs beat Tanaka. Send the bum back for a refund!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 am 

Adam wrote:
Hit up the Rockies game yesterday and got to see my first triple play happen live. That was pretty cool.

That's fucking awesome man! I'd be telling everyone within earshot of me about that for weeks!

Everyone is laughing at Drew, but he came out pretty good in the deal and he is very fortunate that the BoSox have the infield problems they do now. What's funny is that if he held out just another two-three weeks, the draft pick compensation attached to him would have expired and his overall price would have gone up significantly. I'm really surprised that the M's and Morales haven't worked out a deal already. Maybe Hart landing on the DL will do that for them now.

It sucks Tanaka lost his first game against the goddamned Cubs. I had the game on and it looked like the rain and muddy mound were really getting inside of his head though. From all the games I've seen in Japan, it looks like they play them all in domes/controlled conditions? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like all the Japanese highlights I see are in played inside of concrete monstrosities.

I'm basically sitting upon one ass-cheek over the Cliff Lee news. Amaro says the injury is mild, but I (stupidly) drafted him as my ace pitcher in both of my fantasy leagues. I should know better than to put all my eggs in one basket, but I basically had him ranked #2 along with Felix behind Kershaw, but all things equal I take the NL pitcher. Wainwright is elite, but he's been hurt before, Fernandez had only one season under his belt at that point, Price has had lulls in his career, Japanese pitchers like Darvish and Iwakuma eventually come back down to earth, Scherzer was due for SOME regression after last season (see Verlander). Anyway, here's hoping to health for Cliff Lee! He's never been hurt before! He doesn't get the wins he deserves with the Phils, but he's always a lock for 200 K's and a WHIP around 1.00.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 am 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/alex-guerrero-ear-miguel-olivo-los-angeles-dodgers-mlb

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:10 pm 

Mejia getting his chance at closing for the Mets. Mets finally making a smart, logical decision. The world must be coming to end.

Matt Kemp benched for 4 straight games because of poor defense. Honestly, if you aren't going to play him than trade him. I'd LOVE for the Mets to make a play for him but doubt they have anything to offer. I mean they have the pieces to make a trade work (Harvey, Wheeler, Snydergaard, maybe D'arnaud if a part of a package) but I don't see the Mets making those guys available. I see Mets making guys like Jonathon Niese and/or Daniel Murphy their trade chips....and neither should be enough for Kemp, even if they were to take on his entire contract. Those guys could probably bring back a Crawford or Ethier and their full contracts, which wouldn't be worth it for the Mets.

I could see the Red Sox being players for Kemp though.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm 

Jeff Samardzija becomes the 309th pitcher to win a game this year. His first win in 17 starts.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:25 pm 

And he only had to have his (arguably) worst outing of the year to get that win.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:45 am 

George Springer,,, goddamn. I guess it pays to be "that guy" who automatically takes a waiver on the big prospect in a fantasy league. re:Trout two years ago and now the guy that picked up Springer is dancing all over my fantasy league to the tune of 10 games (from #2). Holy cow!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:56 am 

Only caught some of the highlights, but tonight's TB/Boston game was nuts. Boston went through four managers and then won the game in the 10th on a nasty collision in CF. That rivalry is making some headway towards approaching the 03-04 seasons with the Yankees.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:09 am 

Actually this whole TB-Boston rivalry started right around that time, when Sweet Lou was managing the Rays. It was around the time Manny went into the Green Monster to take a piss in the middle of a game. I remember watching highlights of a game with Josh at the Quarterdeck in Hyannis with a huge-ass brawl between Boston and Tampa right after I was in Boston the weekend before. It all started then (or at least I like to think so... :) ).

These teams hate each other and have for a long time and it's awesome. If you think about it, the Rays have really gotten over Boston every year except last year (of course). The Rays got to the World Series in 2008 (albeit lost) right after the last Boston title (before last year) in 2007 on a shoestring payroll.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:57 am 

Quote:
Michael Cuddyer is making his first start at third base since 2010 in Saturday's game against the Indians.
Gulp. Cuddyer played quite a bit of third base in the high minors and back in 2004-05 with the Twins, but his only appearances there in the last nine seasons came in 2010, when he started 13 games there. The Rockies have decided to give him a look at his old spot with Nolan Arenado out, but it's hard to imagine the big defensive hit they'll take will prove worth it. On the plus side, it does get Corey Dickerson's bat into the lineup, which is always a good thing.

The only player that hurts the Rox more by getting injured is Tulo. Losing Arrenado has been huge for the Rockies, they have no suitable replacement. Especially for defense; plays that you take for granted with Arrenado are now nail biters. He can't come back soon enough.

And looks like I am oblivious to the whole AL East Rivalries going on. Didn't even realize Boston- and TB had something going on like the old NYY-BOS rivalry, which was always my favorite rivalry in sports until it got diluted by media exploitation.

Post subject: Baseball 2014
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:31 pm 

Arenado must be a fucking beast at 3rd. I haven't had the chance to see him play but he's been around for like a year and is already considered the best defensive 3rd baseman in baseball. The left side of the Rockies infield must be the best in baseball when him and tulo are healthy. If the Rockies can develop some pitching then they are going to be a fun team.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:39 pm 

The hype on Arrenado is real. He has a surprisingly high number of errors to be honest, but his range, his arm, and his finesse at the position is elite. He makes ridiculous plays look routine every single game.

As for the Rockies infield, I think the argument could make the entire infield (when all healthy) is the best in baseball. LeMahieu might not be the sexiest 2B, but he is a beast in the field with great range, great double play ability, and just an overall ability to make any play needed. And Mourneau will scoop up anything that comes his way, very Helton-esque.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 am 

I've watched a lot or Rockies games and Arenado is for real, for sure! And they've really dropped off a lot since he got hurt. This team can mash, unlike anyone else in the NL West, but in another five or six weeks their pitching is probably going to drive over the cliff. And it's shaky as it stands right now.

The Robinson Cano experiment in Seattle has been pretty unspectacular so far. 9.5 more years, YIKES! Yankees will probably sign Kendrys Morales after he draft pick compensation on him expires after the draft this week, due to health problems with Beltran and Texiera (who didn't see that coming?).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:50 am 

Just looked and Cano is batting .327, so I guess I can't complain? Sure doesn't seem like any of those hits are having any impact in games though. It just feels like Seager and Saunders are the stars of the team up to this point. And I probably watch half of the M's games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:44 am 

The giants can mash too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:30 pm 

I expected a power drop off from Cano. 2 hrs though, didn't expect that. A .327 BA is great, but you spend that kinda money on a hitter, you do so with the expectation of getting some power. I would imagine it will come in good time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 am 

Has anyone ever had power while playing at safeco? It's not like he isn't driving the ball. It's not like he's running out slow rollers to short on every play. He's still going to end up with 20-25 homeruns. That is the type of power that he has outside of Yankee stadium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 pm 

2 home runs, a third of the way into the season. I think he will be lucky to finish with 20 home runs at this point.

That said, if he can finish the season with a BA north of .320 and 20 or more home runs, Seattle will have gotten their money out of him, IMO. At least for one season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:16 am 

RIP Don Zimmer

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 28   [ 683 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next