Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 72 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:45 pm 

This blackberry/blueberry sour is a one of a kind to the style, and also the farm fields where it was (wild) fermented. I am very proud of the microbial terroir of Connecticut farmlands.

Last edited by Damocles74 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:10 pm 

Newest creation: spontaneously fermented wild ale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:

that was fun

are all those "Randall" videos yours? they are great in a whimsical sort of way. I checked a few out, then somehow got sidetracked by some bikini youtube haha

oh wait. the beer. i only have one regular sipping beer. there are so many craft brews now and i drink so few i never really get the same thing twice anymore

also IPA's are no longer what IPA's started out as. the first IPA's were watery, super hoppy, lame excuses for beer, but it had to be made that way to have some resistance to spoiling immediately in the heat in India
NOW those IPA's are some of the richest thickest yummiest beers going. I am not complaining, but they really have stretched the definition to anything hoppy and ale-like

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:09 am 

Mason_Dixon wrote:
Damocles74 wrote:

that was fun

are all those "Randall" videos yours? they are great in a whimsical sort of way. I checked a few out, then somehow got sidetracked by some bikini youtube haha

oh wait. the beer. i only have one regular sipping beer. there are so many craft brews now and i drink so few i never really get the same thing twice anymore

also IPA's are no longer what IPA's started out as. the first IPA's were watery, super hoppy, lame excuses for beer, but it had to be made that way to have some resistance to spoiling immediately in the heat in India
NOW those IPA's are some of the richest thickest yummiest beers going. I am not complaining, but they really have stretched the definition to anything hoppy and ale-like

In total agreement about IPAs. I'm starting to enjoy them more.

Those videos are mine. Just silly and fun. I made the mistake of showing that recent one to my hipster friend: "dude, I'm really not a fan of any of your videos."
I guess that's how I know I'm doing something right xD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:00 am 

I like them and you seem to be able to cook those up at will. i'm going to watch more of them heh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm 

My Fermentorium.

I'm getting very good at this now. I'm doing an ancient Persian ale (cardamom, black currants and saffron [expensive! $40 1/2 oz.]) ale that is derivative of the Achaemenid period:

Last edited by Damocles74 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:39 pm 

Quite impressive, D74. Do you brew professionally? And/or what do you do to afford all the amazing brewing gear and the time to do it?!?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 am 

On my lunch break from apple pressing. Got ten litres of wild cider on the go, five of wild damson wine. Expect twenty litres or so from the apples I'm doing today, I'll probably pitch that with a cider yeast to play it safe.

Beers - had my first Wild Beer Co brew (I think) last week, always balked at the price on bottles but there was a pale on tap at same price as other pints so had one. It was decent. Was actually more inspired by a trad bitter with a touch of Earl Grey tea abt it.

Edit - turned out more like 15 litres once I'd put some aside for juice for the boy. He drank about 400ml while we were pressing today and kicked off like he'd had a bomb of speed and four ciders.

Been tempted to scrump my neighbour's hops - are they still worth picking if they've turned brown? He obviously forgot to pick them, and I wouldn't mind trying a first beer brew if at least one of the ingredients has come to me free.

Going to be good to have clean free booze in the house again soon, will just have to remember to hold it for occasions rather than refreshment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:49 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
Quite impressive, D74. Do you brew professionally? And/or what do you do to afford all the amazing brewing gear and the time to do it?!?

I'm just a home brewer. I seem to have a penchant for creating these artisanal ales; I've read articles and books on the ancient way of brewing. I even believe those medieval monks may have been chanting to fermenting vessels of wort... so that's what I do:

(Speakers next to conical fermenter)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:55 pm 

Oak barrel-aged Hobbit Ale.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:41 am 

Since I was seeing Megadeth last night (in a 300 capacity bar), I decided to try Dave's A Tout Le Monde beer. It's not very strong (4.5%) but it was pretty good. Tasted a little like a hefeweizen to me, but I'm not a beer connoisseur. Here's a pic of the bottle, but I was drinking draughts...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 pm 

Was hiking in a bird sanctuary close to where I live. These Bobolink birds wheel, dart and sail in a mad dervish overhead. I was thinking of their hidden pattern and language. I got the idea to introduce bird seeds into the (four hour) mash. Millet is a cereal grain after all ;)

Franco-Belgian malts with birdseeds, oven toasted flaked oats/barley and barrel-aged. 100% French Strisselspalt hops.

Made a Blackberry (3 lbs.) Saison for my gf as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:00 pm 

Where do you get three pounds of blackberries in March?

My brews all turned out good. The windfall wild ferment cider was good but is gone, the polite stuff is mor mellow but has benefited from no sulphites. Had first exploding bottle experience with the damson wine, I was stuck for vessel capacity and bottled some when it seemed to have stopped but the aeration bumped yeast back into life and one bottle went bang. Opened the others and they were fizzy and far too sweet
Made a good mixer/liqueur though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:30 pm 

Daaaaay-uuum. Your gf is a very very lucky gal.
I'm already 30lbs. overweight from tipple. I dare not take up brewing.

And 3lbs. of berries in March? is a good question. The hothouse variety must be insanely expensive right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:46 am 

Hey Dutch, i've had those exploding bottles as well. It's such a frightening experience at 3 a.m. - you think someone's breaking into your home! I won't bottle until I can taste the residual sweetness gone.
I actually made that Blackberry Saison this past December. All the bottles are waxed-dipped in my guarding area.
Thanks a lot LC! I've got a few other new batches that came out surprisingly well: a Brett Brux, Persian Saffron and even an Hour of 13 smoked Ale (for Chad Davis).

-Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm 

Watched some home school posse eating blackberries only today, the obvious answer is you get berries in March out yer freezer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:15 pm 

Somehow i'm assuming D74 (da Man) would only brew with da supa fresh business. Lols.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:
Hey Dutch, i've had those exploding bottles as well. It's such a frightening experience at 3 a.m. - you think someone's breaking into your home! I won't bottle until I can taste the residual sweetness gone.
I actually made that Blackberry Saison this past December. All the bottles are waxed-dipped in my guarding area.
Thanks a lot LC! I've got a few other new batches that came out surprisingly well: a Brett Brux, Persian Saffron and even an Hour of 13 smoked Ale (for Chad Davis).

-Cheers!

Would you ship to the Left Coast? Pm with details if so......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:24 pm 

Just found Great Divide's Hercules DIPA in the corner ghetto market in 6 pack cans this week. A solid 10.0% ABV. Shit. So much for dropping the beer gut weight now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:53 pm 

So I made a Brett Brux...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:57 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:
So I made a Brett Brux...

I had that one. It was solid!!!

I'm really liking these TRVE beers!! Pricey, though nice American wild aces for sure. Sour, with a well balanced fruitiness. I figured that the company was into metal because the labels are very....dark.

My friend was up visiting this Friday, he's an engineer. He was wearing a TRVE Brewing t-shirt, and I was like "Nice tee duder, I love their beer." Turns out he knows the guy, they went to engineering school together. And indeed, the guy likes his metal!!

I can confirm this with my purchase of the new TRVE "Restarter" beer, which has a label quite reminiscent of the latest Torche album....

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 pm 

Hey Dylan! Was thinking of a Black Pyramid themed beer. Of course, it would have to be sour.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-HeiressDeBourgogne.pdf

^^ I just received this Duchesse clone (Heiress de Bourgnogne), and was going to attempt a 5-day kettle sour. I was seriously thinking of adding probiotics into the bugs stir plate before introducing to cooled wort (would that make it super sour?). I wonder if anyone's tried this before?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:41 am 

Ooooh, if you do a Black Pyramid themed beer, make it a sour stout!!

I'm personally not sure if probiotics would make it more sour, though either way, save one for me!!!!!!!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
I had that one. It was solid!!!

I'm really liking these TRVE beers!! Pricey, though nice American wild aces for sure. Sour, with a well balanced fruitiness. I figured that the company was into metal because the labels are very....dark.

My friend was up visiting this Friday, he's an engineer. He was wearing a TRVE Brewing t-shirt, and I was like "Nice tee duder, I love their beer." Turns out he knows the guy, they went to engineering school together. And indeed, the guy likes his metal!!

I can confirm this with my purchase of the new TRVE "Restarter" beer, which has a label quite reminiscent of the latest Torche album....

TRVE is awesome....one of my favorite breweries and easily the Denver brewery I have most often visited. They do a lot with lower abv type beers which is really right up my alley. They do both wild and non wild stuff really well. Just as cool was walking into their taproom for the first time and having them blast Graveyard's Hisingen Blues....and on my next visit High on Fire.

Currently wearing my TRVE shirt, actually.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 pm 

Cool cool!!!

I actually went out to brunch today with my friend Sarah, and we had this TRVE wild ale that was flavored with coffee. It was fucking solid!! She dug it too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 72 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next