Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:44 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
Had a wonderful sour tonight from the most unlikely of sources:
Coors.

Yep, you read that correctly. Coors.
I don't know all the details but it was a blend of some 4 month old and some 22 month old beer from different barrels (not sure what kind of barrels) with cherries added. Not overly acidic or tart, but lots of subtle, interesting flavors going on. I would buy it, if it were available, on a regular basis. Great beer.

I've heard in the past Coors doing small batches, they're only available at that brewpub by the stadium, or at least in that area? No reason they couldn't do stuff like that, they should have the resources, even if it doesn't leave the area.

I figured I wouldn't be able to bring it on board, my wife called the airline today and confirmed that. Not really confident it would survive some kind of luggage trip back on the plane. Guess I'll have to mail some back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm 

lftwng4 wrote:
spiritualleader wrote:
Had a wonderful sour tonight from the most unlikely of sources:
Coors.

Yep, you read that correctly. Coors.
I don't know all the details but it was a blend of some 4 month old and some 22 month old beer from different barrels (not sure what kind of barrels) with cherries added. Not overly acidic or tart, but lots of subtle, interesting flavors going on. I would buy it, if it were available, on a regular basis. Great beer.

I've heard in the past Coors doing small batches, they're only available at that brewpub by the stadium, or at least in that area? No reason they couldn't do stuff like that, they should have the resources, even if it doesn't leave the area.

I figured I wouldn't be able to bring it on board, my wife called the airline today and confirmed that. Not really confident it would survive some kind of luggage trip back on the plane. Guess I'll have to mail some back.

The beer was from the AC Golden pilot brewery. One of the brewers dropped it off at the bar and it just had a hand-written note attached to it. They've been experimenting. We've been able to get some of their beer here and there and have been trying to get them to put more out for public consumption. Everything we've had has been good, but this one was great.

Beer shipping:
If you mail it, pack it extremely well and get a styrofoam shipping containier, if possible. If anybody at the shipper asks, it's olive oil/vinegars from small wineries, homemade soda - anything BUT alcohol, which you can't ship.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 pm 

Just got home from work and am enjoying one of these bombers. Very tasty and pretty damn strong as I am already starting to feel it.

Surprised to hear a Coors product get a great review. I guess Blue Moon is a respectable beer, though I am not a fan of wheats, so I guess if any macro-brewery is to produce something to generate such a positive review it should be Coors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 am 

Adam wrote:
Surprised to hear a Coors product get a great review. I guess Blue Moon is a respectable beer, though I am not a fan of wheats, so I guess if any macro-brewery is to produce something to generate such a positive review it should be Coors.

Everyone who tried it was blown away.

I'm not surprised that Coors CAN make great beer, I'm surprised I got to taste it.
There's a lot of brewing knowledge in a place like that, but it is surprising when some of that leaks out. Hope more does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:28 am 

Adam: I completely hear ya on the wheats. Mid to late 80s when the Belgian whites (wheats) became popular, I liked them a lot, but eventually I really had it with them, too sweet, too much coriander (and I like coriander), too citrussy. The past ten years a few Dutch brewers have started to make German style Weizens and a lot of distributors put German Weizens on tap in Summer, but I already lost my interest in them.

Oddly enough, the other day I found one in a small brewery in the Netherlands, that was made with the same ingredients as a Weizen, the brewer also compared it to a Weizen, but it was definitely sour. Very nice, no fruit, a brisk hop and a distinct, but not overwhelming sourness. Cordeaux by De Drie Ringen, and you can't find it anywhere outside Amersfoort, where the brewery is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:09 am 

Shaytan wrote:
Adam: I completely hear ya on the wheats. Mid to late 80s when the Belgian whites (wheats) became popular, I liked them a lot, but eventually I really had it with them, too sweet, too much coriander (and I like coriander), too citrussy. The past ten years a few Dutch brewers have started to make German style Weizens and a lot of distributors put German Weizens on tap in Summer, but I already lost my interest in them.

Oddly enough, the other day I found one in a small brewery in the Netherlands, that was made with the same ingredients as a Weizen, the brewer also compared it to a Weizen, but it was definitely sour. Very nice, no fruit, a brisk hop and a distinct, but not overwhelming sourness. Cordeaux by De Drie Ringen, and you can't find it anywhere outside Amersfoort, where the brewery is.

I like some wheat ales, most of the wits are too dry for me, some of the hefeweizens are great when they're fresh, but get too clove-y after several weeks, but you get one with a predominate banana flavor, and I'm in.

Bell's Oberon and Lagunitas Little Sumthin' Sumthin' are fucking great, though, extremely drinkable when fresh, not too high in alcohol, so you can drink several, which I tend to do. Two of my all time favorites, a definite go-to beer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm 

Drinking some Three Philosphers from Ommegang, a Belgian Style Quadruppel. Like it more than The Reverend I had the other night, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Who wants to tell me the diffence between the different Belgian Styles. Trippels, Quad's, Trappiste, Blondes, etc.?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 am 

Adam wrote:
Drinking some Three Philosphers from Ommegang, a Belgian Style Quadruppel. Like it more than The Reverend I had the other night, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Who wants to tell me the diffence between the different Belgian Styles. Trippels, Quad's, Trappiste, Blondes, etc.?

Firstly,
Your Three Philosophers is a blend of a belgian-style quadruppel and a cherry lambic from Belgium,

Trippel- The style pretty much comes from Westmalle, so go drink it- the Westmalle, that is. Lighter in color with some honey, stone fruit notes. About 9%, in general.
Drink the Westmalle. I like the Dulle Teve from De Dolle and domestically, I like the Great Divide Tripel a LOT. St. Feuillien and Allagash both make excellent examples as well.

Quad - huge malt. About 9-12% ABV. Lots of caramel, raisins, dried apricot, plum, etc.
You might throw Chimay Blue and Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser in this category, both outstanding beers. The 10 Commandments from Lost Abbey is also good, though not brewed in the traditional style (raisin puree and rosemary added).

Trappist - beers made by one of the seven Trappist breweries (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvletern, Koenigshoven). These beers are brewed by the monks themselves. They can't be labeled Trappist if the monks aren't in control of the brewing of the beer. Many beers that are labeled Abbey might be in an appropriate monastery, but aren't being brewed by the monks themselves. The new abbey beer from Sierra Nevada is an example of an abbey beer.

Blonde - light-colored beer brewed with belgian yeast. An excellent example of this style is Russian River's Redemption.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
Adam wrote:

Firstly,
Your Three Philosophers is a blend of a belgian-style quadruppel and a cherry lambic from Belgium,

Trippel- The style pretty much comes from Westmalle, so go drink it- the Westmalle, that is. Lighter in color with some honey, stone fruit notes. About 9%, in general.
Drink the Westmalle. I like the Dulle Teve from De Dolle and domestically, I like the Great Divide Tripel a LOT. St. Feuillien and Allagash both make excellent examples as well.

Quad - huge malt. About 9-12% ABV. Lots of caramel, raisins, dried apricot, plum, etc.
You might throw Chimay Blue and Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser in this category, both outstanding beers. The 10 Commandments from Lost Abbey is also good, though not brewed in the traditional style (raisin puree and rosemary added).

Trappist - beers made by one of the seven Trappist breweries (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvletern, Koenigshoven). These beers are brewed by the monks themselves. They can't be labeled Trappist if the monks aren't in control of the brewing of the beer. Many beers that are labeled Abbey might be in an appropriate monastery, but aren't being brewed by the monks themselves. The new abbey beer from Sierra Nevada is an example of an abbey beer.

Blonde - light-colored beer brewed with belgian yeast. An excellent example of this style is Russian River's Redemption.

I had a feeling you'd be the one to give me that info. Thanks a lot.

I have been looking for that Westmalle but have not had any luck finding it yet. But I'll continue looking.

In regards to the Three Philosophers, I saw the cherry component to it but didn't quite get what was going down with it. I liked it though, kinda cut into the sweetness a little. I don't really like the whole raisin flavor in beers so I guess I should stick with tripels over quads, cause that was a bit of my issue with The Reverend. I do like Chimay Blue but maybe this also helps explain why I prefer the Red to it, counter to most others I know.

I'll look for the Great Divide one. Grand Cru or Hades? Both only in bombers or is the Hades available in 6 pack?

And I have wanted to check that Redemption out but that shit's like $12 a freakin bottle. Too rich for my skin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:17 pm 

Adam wrote:

I'll look for the Great Divide one. Grand Cru or Hades? Both only in bombers or is the Hades available in 6 pack?

And I have wanted to check that Redemption out but that shit's like $12 a freakin bottle. Too rich for my skin.

The Great Divide Tripel is called Great Divide Tripel. I believe they're making another batch in June. They used to only make it in September and it would sell out very quickly. You MIGHT be able to find a bottle over at Argonaut.

The Grand Cru is great, but you might not love it since it has a little more of the dark malt in it.

The Hades is a belgian golden (think Duvel), but I'd like to see them add more hops to balance out the sweetness. Not a bad beer, but I prefer Duvel or Damnation.

I bought a bottle of Redemption last night and it was just under $7. The label is blue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm 

I was just at Argonaut last night and did not see the GD Tripel. I am warned but I am still tempted to try the Grand Cru but will stray from the Hades. I like Duvel and Damnation so will stick with those.

The only place I have seen the Redemption is at the Liquor Mart on Colorado Blvd and it's $12 there (as is the Consecration I believe). Damnation is $4.

Interesting news report on Oskar Blues:

Quote:
Oskar Blues Brewery Posts a 60% Increase in January

LONGMONT, CO (Feb 2011) - The trailblazer of the canned craft beer revolution, Oskar Blues Brewery has continued its growth pattern posting a 60 percent increase in shipments in January 2011 vs. January 2010.

While 2010 proved to be one of the most challenging years for the beer category in recent memory, craft beer appears to be the exception to the rule. Craft beer was the only segment to increase its case and dollar sales by double-digit percent increases while canned craft beer made a significant splash for the first time since Oskar Blues started the trend eight years ago. Since 2007, canned craft beer sales have grown six-fold, and the number of craft brewers canning beer has eclipsed 100.

In 2010 Oskar Blues demand exceeded supply at times. To trump demand in what looks to be a stellar 2011, the brewery's immediate focus is furthering its infrastructure while brewing more consistent quality beer than ever before. Two weeks ago, the brewery installed a 200 BBL fermenter and a 200 BBL bright tank in the first of three capacity increases scheduled for early this year. Oskar Blues also has four more 200 BBL fermenters scheduled for arrival over the next two months in addition to installing a new keg line and Hi-Cone six-packing machine.

The continued investments in quality control, infrastructure and people have positioned the funky brewery for another explosive year for craft canned brews led by the original; Dale's Pale Ale.

Set in the heart of Colorado craft beer country, Oskar Blues Brewery in Lyons began canning its beers in November of 2002 with a hand-canning line in the 60- year-old barn next door to their funky little brewpub. Although it's now a full- throttle canning operation that is quickly expanding its cult-like following across the nation, Oskar Blues remains true to its original mission of simply blowing minds with what can come out of a can of beer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 pm 

I liked Beer Wars. I never really had thought of the business side of things in regard to beer prior.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:23 am 

Had a smoked beer (can't remember the exact category...brown?....porter?) from Bristol tonight. Very nice nose and very subtle smoke character. I liked it.

Also had an experimental sour from them. Very tasty. Subtle and very drinkable. Not overly tart or acidic. I'd like to have it again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am 

Isn't Stone's Porter smoked? I keep wanting to check it out but have yet to get around to it.

Really liked that Three Philosophers a lot. I like their Abbey Style Ale a lot too. Their a great brewery.

Gave Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout a second try the other day and pulled a a complete 1080 on it as I REALLY like it. Tasted the oatmeal in the center and the bitter black coffee flavor that finished it is a very nice touch. Carbonation was not an issue for me at all this time. Wish I could buy that in 6 pack form because I definitely need to more and am not a bomber fan.

Does glassware really make a significant difference in the drinking experience? I read some stuff saying it does so bought myself a Belgian Tulip style glass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 am 

Friday Night had Ballast Point-Sea Monster. Imperial Stout.
(Seasonal)
Creamy, malty, delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 am 

I think a tulip glass is essential for some of those "bigger" beers, especially the belgians and tripels.

Drinking out of a tulip or gold-rimmed glass also makes me feel superior to my pint drinking friends.

Just stopped at the local ale house last night for a glass of Omegang Hennepin, which I have never had and it was delicious. Followed that with a DuPont Saison, which is supposed to be (according to the owner), one of the best farmhouse Saisons out there. It was also delicious.

Having been and IPA/pale ale/strong ale guy for as long as I can remember, I'm finding that my pallete is yearning to reach out to a lot of these Belgian and European brews that I've overlooked for so long.

Now if I could just learn to pronounce half of them, I would be very happy.

Adam wrote:
Isn't Stone's Porter smoked? I keep wanting to check it out but have yet to get around to it.

Really liked that Three Philosophers a lot. I like their Abbey Style Ale a lot too. Their a great brewery.

Gave Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout a second try the other day and pulled a a complete 1080 on it as I REALLY like it. Tasted the oatmeal in the center and the bitter black coffee flavor that finished it is a very nice touch. Carbonation was not an issue for me at all this time. Wish I could buy that in 6 pack form because I definitely need to more and am not a bomber fan.

Does glassware really make a significant difference in the drinking experience? I read some stuff saying it does so bought myself a Belgian Tulip style glass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm 

I had that Dupont Saison last Tuesday before I went to see 'True Grit'. I was particularly underwhelmed by it, which makes every 'Saison' suspicious to me now.

I should research what it's supposed to mean, those Saison beers.

I'm going to let myself be knocked out by a Klein Duimpje Imperial Russian Stout now. Maybe warm up with a Völenbock first.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:02 pm 

Ha...I was a little underwhelmed by the Dupont because after they served me the Hennepin in a 24oz tulip style glass, they poured me the Dupont in a 14oz skinny glass.

I was going to explain to you what a Saison is, but I think BeerAdvocate has a better explanation...

Saisons are sturdy farmhouse ale that was traditionally brewed in the winter, to be consumed throughout the summer months. Not so long ago it was close to being an endangered style, but over recent years there's been a massive revival; especially in the US.

This is a very complex style; many are very fruity in the aroma and flavor. Look for earthy yeast tones, mild to moderate tartness. Lots of spice and with a medium bitterness. They tend to be semi-dry with many only having touch of sweetness.

Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 5.0-8.0%

Shaytan wrote:
I had that Dupont Saison last Tuesday before I went to see 'True Grit'. I was particularly underwhelmed by it, which makes every 'Saison' suspicious to me now.

I should research what it's supposed to mean, those Saison beers.

I'm going to let myself be knocked out by a Klein Duimpje Imperial Russian Stout now. Maybe warm up with a Völenbock first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 pm 

Trying some Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) tonight. Not really a fan so far, not saying its bad but not my cup of tea. Maybe I am just not a fan of sours?

About to move onto some Rogue's Dead Guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 am 

Haven't had that Red, but the Tripel and Kriek were good.

Had a Double IPA from Switzerland last night and a Pilsner from Italy tonight. The DIPA was good with a fair amount of blance, not a lot of hops in the nose and a very nice hop complexity on the palette. The pilsner has a......peach??? aroma, which is very nicely balanced by a strong hop component. Not entirely in love with the candy-peach flavor, but everything else is very, very good. Might grow on me. From Pausa Cafe in Torino.

Have an Espresso Stout from that same place in Switzerland. Might be next.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:05 pm 

While very likely an issue of style, I am hesitant to spend another $10 for a bomber of that SA series. That tripel does intrigue me but too much out there I still want to check out that it's far back in the line.

I did just pick up a 6 pack of that Winter Warlock Oatmeal Stout you suggested a while back. Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it. After having fallen in love with Rogue's Oatmeal Stout though, I am intererested in how it holds up.

I also picked up a bomber of Hoppin' Frogs Imperial Oatmeal Stout. That shit is expensive at $11.88 after tax but I am psyched to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:38 pm 

Just started the first Winter Warlock Oatmeal Stout....

Seems decent so far but nothing overwhelming. I'd say it's more on par with Breckenridge's Oatmeal Stout than Rogue's. I still need to try more Oatmeal Stouts, as I really like the style, to get a good feel for the overall field and what is out there and then be able to decipher what's a great example of the style, what's a good example of the style, what's okay, etc, etc. I think I do know enough to say that the Rogue is great though.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, SL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:34 am 

It's been a really long time since I've had the Rogue, so I can't compare them. As a general rule, Bristol makes traditional english-style ales, so they don't tend to be heavy-handed on the malt.

Had an Odell Myrcenary DIPA last night and it was very, very tasty. I want to try it alongside Pliny; it seems very similar to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 am 

Went shopping in an organic food store last week. These were both strong and rather good. With the first one being especially delicious.

go back tonight to sample some more:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 73  Next