Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:44 pm 

NCR600 wrote:
After my Christmas Pudding Spiced Porter, I'm a bit put off weird additions to beer. I've had some Chile beers in the past and thought they were fucking stupit. Was planning a Rosemary Smoked porter at some point, but after my latest try, I think I'll leave that one alone. Less is definately more when it comes to that sort of thing.

If I can find some Green Flash beers there, I'll grab what I can, but I'm open to anything else.

Cheers, Beerdoes!

Port Brewing/Lost Abbey for sure.
Great Divide
Avery

In regards to spicing, you're right. Less is always more. The chile beers or spiced beers that work are very, very subtle with the additions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
NCR600 wrote:
After my Christmas Pudding Spiced Porter, I'm a bit put off weird additions to beer. I've had some Chile beers in the past and thought they were fucking stupit. Was planning a Rosemary Smoked porter at some point, but after my latest try, I think I'll leave that one alone. Less is definately more when it comes to that sort of thing.

If I can find some Green Flash beers there, I'll grab what I can, but I'm open to anything else.

Cheers, Beerdoes!

Port Brewing/Lost Abbey for sure.
Great Divide
Avery

I want to like Great Divide but their beers just don't do it for me. Not that I think they are bad...just not for me.

They get Firestone Walker down there, they seem like they are growing enough that they might be able to make it that far? Their Union Jack IPA is a nice West Coast IPA. Oskar Blues make it down there? Can't go wrong with Dales Pale Ale.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 am 

So, this is the haul. I was tossing up whether or not to post this picture at the end of my post or the beginning. Anyways, 5 bottles of beer cost me damn near 65 bucks. The tax on beer and spirits in Australia is fucking ridiculous, my partner likes red wine and I can buy a 750ml bottle of cheap, but not particularly nasty 13% Merlot for 4 bucks or a bottle of 5.8% Coopers Sparkling Ale for five Pacific Peso's. A case of pisswater megaswill lager hits $40, or with the tax removed, $9.

This is what I got for $65.

The dude at Platinum Liquor told me he got annoyed by people sessioning IPA's so he threw in the Grand Cru for nothing. I've never been to this bottle-o before, and was absolutely gobsmacked by being given free beer, and the fact that the dude behind the counter was an actual beer nerd!

My tasting notes say that this was Sour/Sweet with no detectable hop character, with a dark colour, and a weird funk on the nose. I don't think I cold stomach more than one of these in a session, although I think it would be good on a hot day with a bg bucket of prawns or Mussels in a tomato sauce. Lambic beers are not my thing.

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale:

I thought this was fan fucking tastic with a big floral/resiny hit of hops up front combined with a big malty backbone. Green Flash claim it's 45 IBU, but for mine, it seems much higher, possibly as much as 65 or 70. This beer is very much like what I was trying to acheive with my first All Grain homebrews, and I was surprised to find it wasn't as clear as my own brews and had a significant amount of lees in the bottle, which I wasn't expecting.

8 Wired (New Zealand) Hopwired IPA

Big passionfruity, citrussy hop aromas, possibly from Riwaka (B Saaz) and/or Nelson Sauvin. The hop bill was the best part of this beer, with little of interest in the malt to back it up. pretty poor head retention too, and quite cloudy. Would have used the Deer Creek split with RRW for this one if I had it on vinyl. CD covers make shit backgrounds. Spirtualledler not only knows his beer but has been involved in some kickarse music!

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Claimed to be 95 IBU, but didn't taste like it, didn't even seem to be as hoppy as the Hop Head Red Ale, and definately not as hoppy as the 8 Wired IPA. What bitterness there was seemed to be very smooth though. US "C" hops (Columbus, Cascade and Centenial) do seem to be boring after NZ hops, Simcoe was claimed in the hop bill, but I couldn't taste it. I did like the maltiness, and this combined with the 8 Wired hop bill would be a winner.

Firestone Walker Double Jack IIPA

Big C Hop Aroma. Something a bit fecal about it, like SN Torpedo. I don't mean this in a bad way either. Quite clear compared to the Green Flash offerings, but still a little hazy. 9.5%abv not reflected int he maltiness of this beer. Probably pushing close to a smooth 90 IBU. Not massively impressed with this one, but still a very nice beer

Bongin Bongin Bay Spider Cider and Sign of the Southern Cross Australasian Pale Ale

Say Hi to Henry Moore (The black moor fish) and Fat Stevens.

I often wonder where I'm going with this homebrewing crap, and these are it. I make brews I'm happy with, chucking masses of NZ hops in at the end of the boil and whatnot, but this single malt, single hop pale ale is probably actually saleble, and won't offend the palate of megaswill drinkers. I'ts completely unchallenging, yet uses NZ Southern Cross hops, which are kind of piney/evergreen/smokey and really have no comprable hop substitute, so it's a fairly unique beer. The cider is made from cheapshit apple juice and yeast recultured from a bottle of English Scrumpy, and again is pretty saleable. It's actually nicer than a lot of the artificially sweetened commercial ciders.

I often think I could actually make a go of brewing for a living, even if I've ruined hobbies by doing this in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am 

The one thing I tried from Green Flash was that Hop Head Red...that one kinda kicked my ass as the hops were more than I could take, too resinny for me. But my fault for the gamble...it's called HOP HEAD Red I knew what I was getting myself into.

I continue to want to try that Double Jack but just never get too. Another case of the bomber format keeping me away. Wish they could sell it in 4 packs, like Odell's does with Myrcenary, but until then my best bet is making it to a bar/restaurant when they have it on tap and trying it then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm 

NCR600 wrote:
8 Wired (New Zealand) Hopwired IPA

Big passionfruity, citrussy hop aromas, possibly from Riwaka (B Saaz) and/or Nelson Sauvin. The hop bill was the best part of this beer, with little of interest in the malt to back it up. pretty poor head retention too, and quite cloudy. Would have used the Deer Creek split with RRW for this one if I had it on vinyl. CD covers make shit backgrounds. Spirtualledler not only knows his beer but has been involved in some kickarse music!

Green Flash West Coast IPA
Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA

I often think I could actually make a go of brewing for a living, even if I've ruined hobbies by doing this in the past.

Thanks for the shoutout. You might be our only fan!

Cool that you can get those beers out your way. I can't even get that Rodenbach here.

In regards to the GF West Coast and the Double Jack, I'm wondering how fresh they were. As you know, IPAs rely on freshness and should be drunk asap to when they're bottled.
The West Coast is consistently one of the hoppiest beers we have on draft, so your comments made me wonder. The Double Jack is very good and has a lot of hops, but is balanced by the malt, so you won't perceive the hoppiness quite so much. It's kind of in the range of Odell Myrcenary.

And if you think you can brew for a living, go for it. Find a brewery you like and respect. If feasible, get a job there, even part-time, to learn the ropes and save yourself some headaches when you open up your own place. My assumption is Australia's market is fairly immature, which would allow you to do your thing and carve out a place for yourself.
Also, if you do go ahead band together with other brewers and form a group that lobbies the govt. on your behalf. There are outdated laws on the books that could hinder you, or laws that favor the big boys and discourage small start-ups. I just saw today that Three Floyds in Indiana is working to get a law passed to allow Indiana breweries to brew up to 30,000 barrels, which isn't very much. Michigan's beer scene is relatively mature in the US and a lot of that had to do with the early breweries (Bell's, New Holland, etc.) getting the laws changed in their favor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
The Double Jack is very good and has a lot of hops, but is balanced by the malt, so you won't perceive the hoppiness quite so much. It's kind of in the range of Odell Myrcenary.

I always assumed these 2 beers were similar, thus upping my interest in checking out DJ, so glad to see the 2 compared to each other. To me, I love the citric flavors these beers get and I also love the malt base they use, both because I like the sweetness it can bring as well as its ability to buffer the bitterness a bit. The 2 together make a great pairing, imo.

Currently enjoying some more of the New Belgium Dig. Really, really, really enjoying this one. Good for NB...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 am 

spiritualleader wrote:

Thanks for the shoutout. You might be our only fan!

Cool that you can get those beers out your way. I can't even get that Rodenbach here.

In regards to the GF West Coast and the Double Jack, I'm wondering how fresh they were. As you know, IPAs rely on freshness and should be drunk asap to when they're bottled.
The West Coast is consistently one of the hoppiest beers we have on draft, so your comments made me wonder. The Double Jack is very good and has a lot of hops, but is balanced by the malt, so you won't perceive the hoppiness quite so much. It's kind of in the range of Odell Myrcenary.

Dunno if it was a handling issue, although the beer certainly has a long way to go to get here!

I actually think the issue was with the Red Ale, it wouldn't be the first time someone's doubled up on the bittering additions. There was an awful lot of hop debris in the bottom of the bottle and caught me quite by surprise. I mean I get less crap in the bottle and I don't filter, use no fermenter finings and I bottle condition! I'tll give me an excuse to go back for more in the the name of research.

The Australian microbrew scene is pretty immature but there are a few guys doing interesting things here. The main issue is tax, both state and federal. I had a mate who had a long background in running his own business in a country town who wanted to start a microbrewery with some other guys, and got to the point of paying a brewing consultant a shitload of money to work out the technical side of things, but got stuffed up by the potential taxes. Beer and spirits are taxed to hell out here, with wine getting a pretty much free ride. The Government tends to view wine as a drink of the ruling classes and beer for the plebs unfortunately. It's much easier to grow some vines with a small winery attached than it is to start a microbrew operation.

Still, I live in hope that someone already doing it might value my operational experience in the day to day running of a pharma manufacturing plant might count for something!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:38 pm 

NCR600 wrote:
The Australian microbrew scene is pretty immature but there are a few guys doing interesting things here. The main issue is tax, both state and federal. I had a mate who had a long background in running his own business in a country town who wanted to start a microbrewery with some other guys, and got to the point of paying a brewing consultant a shitload of money to work out the technical side of things, but got stuffed up by the potential taxes. Beer and spirits are taxed to hell out here, with wine getting a pretty much free ride. The Government tends to view wine as a drink of the ruling classes and beer for the plebs unfortunately. It's much easier to grow some vines with a small winery attached than it is to start a microbrew operation.

It was like that here too when our whole scene got rolling. This was quite some time ago, but the people that wanted to make better beer worked to get a more fair playing field. It has taken time, but it's worked. And when you can show the legislators that they can take responsibility for creating jobs and lowering taxes they tend to perk up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am 

SL, you ever get any of the one off series from Odell on tap at Falling Rock? Saboteur or Footprint?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 pm 

Adam wrote:
SL, you ever get any of the one off series from Odell on tap at Falling Rock? Saboteur or Footprint?

We've had Saboteur and Hiverrano. Footprint just came out, so we might get some of that too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 pm 

Bummer that I missed out on Sabateur....really want to try that and would have loved to have been able to try it w/out spending the $14 for the bottle. Same with Footprint, so if you guys do get it in on tap let me know, I'll definitely do what I can to come down for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm 

Alpine: Bad Boy. Pretty fucking good IIPA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:38 pm 

I don't know if I can enjoy a beer or any mind altering things, half the time I might be brought back to bad times when I abused it for so long. natural highs are good, like seeing your chick's eyes. and her buttcheeks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm 

Looks like my wishes got answered.

Some kind of shin dig going on at Star Bar this Saturday and they will have both Sabateur (both '09 and '12 versions) and Footprint. Plus a bunch of other enticing beers.

Want to make it there...hope I can, just got to convince a friend that I made plans with to switch up the bar we meet at.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Got another bottle of this:

And have been saving it for a special occasion, for which a first listen to the new Greenleaf qualifies.

Say yes to life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:51 am 

dong ytown wrote:
I don't know if I can enjoy a beer or any mind altering things, half the time I might be brought back to bad times when I abused it for so long. natural highs are good, like seeing your chick's eyes. and her buttcheeks.

I nicked off from work early and went for a Friday afternoon surf and finished up drinking some beers I made myself.

No buttcheeks are as good as that natural high.

Well, some might be, but their owners will never let me touch them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:11 am 

Tried a '09 version of Odell's Saboteur tonight. Thought it was pretty good but got to admit I was hoping for a little more out of it. Not sure I had a good enough palette to detect the brown ale component to it. I got the fruit, I got some tartness, I got the alcohol, and I got vanilla but I would never have guessed there was a brown ale hidden in there.

Also tried Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA, Crooked Staves Surrette, and Wagon Ryed Stout (which I guess is a homebrew recipe of some blogger produced through Wykoop). Thought that Wagon Ryed Stout was the beer that stood out the most from the night and it was pretty damn good. My favorite of the night, though, was definitely the Surette. Glad I finally tried Deviant Dales but, damn, that was a freakin hop bomb. Tasted like a sweetened pine tree kind of. Enjoyed it but only because my taste buds adapted to that high hoppiness the more I drank.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:57 am 

Adam wrote:
Tried a '09 version of Odell's Saboteur tonight. Thought it was pretty good but got to admit I was hoping for a little more out of it. Not sure I had a good enough palette to detect the brown ale component to it. I got the fruit, I got some tartness, I got the alcohol, and I got vanilla but I would never have guessed there was a brown ale hidden in there.

Also tried Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA, Crooked Staves Surrette, and Wagon Ryed Stout (which I guess is a homebrew recipe of some blogger produced through Wykoop). Thought that Wagon Ryed Stout was the beer that stood out the most from the night and it was pretty damn good. My favorite of the night, though, was definitely the Surette. Glad I finally tried Deviant Dales but, damn, that was a freakin hop bomb. Tasted like a sweetened pine tree kind of. Enjoyed it but only because my taste buds adapted to that high hoppiness the more I drank.

Where were you?

I'd love to try '09 Saboteur with this year's version. I talked to one of the brewers there and said I swore they changed the recipe or the yeast was more effective and it attenuated better. It definitely tastes a little different. I drank a lot of Saboteur the first time around.

That Wagon Ryed is from Denver Off The Wagon
http://www.denveroffthewagon.com/
It's a pretty cool blog. Most of the people who write there are in the industry and they love beer/booze. One of the guys brews the wash which is used to make Stranahan's whiskey.

Surrette is fantastic. For those who are wondering, it's a Farmhouse ale aged in barrels. Very drinkable with a funky nose and a nice, tart finish.

Deviant Dales won the Silver medal for American IPA at this year's Beer Fest. I like it a lot because the hops keep coming with a variety of hop flavors throughout.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:44 am 

I was at the Star Bar....they had both the '09 and '12 version of the Sabateur (so unless they tapped their kegs last night should still have some). I went with the '09 since it was cheaper and offered in a smaller amount. Given the higher abv I figured that route would allow me to sample more beers throughout the evening. Maybe I should have sampled both to compare but there was too many beers that I wanted to try that I couldn't get myself to order another Sabateur.

Denver Off The Wagon was definitely associated with the event. I guess the Star Bar was the final location of the blogs mini 3 day beer fest (their term, not mine) to honor their 1 year anniversary. Never heard of the blog but saw the promo for it through the Westword. When I saw the beers that would be tapped I decided to check it out.

Only thing that was disappointing was that Footprint never made it, would have loved to have been able to try it too.

I also tried AC Sour from AC Golden....that's Coors, right? Either way I liked that one too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm 

Adam wrote:
I was at the Star Bar....they had both the '09 and '12 version of the Sabateur (so unless they tapped their kegs last night should still have some). I went with the '09 since it was cheaper and offered in a smaller amount. Given the higher abv I figured that route would allow me to sample more beers throughout the evening. Maybe I should have sampled both to compare but there was too many beers that I wanted to try that I couldn't get myself to order another Sabateur.

Denver Off The Wagon was definitely associated with the event. I guess the Star Bar was the final location of the blogs mini 3 day beer fest (their term, not mine) to honor their 1 year anniversary. Never heard of the blog but saw the promo for it through the Westword. When I saw the beers that would be tapped I decided to check it out.

Only thing that was disappointing was that Footprint never made it, would have loved to have been able to try it too.

I also tried AC Sour from AC Golden....that's Coors, right? Either way I liked that one too.

I thought that's where you might've been. I was thinking of going but had too much work to do last night. They had a pretty killer beer line-up.

That AC Sour, if it's the same one I had, is really good. And, yeah, that's AC Golden/Coors. I'm supposed to go out there for a tour in the next few weeks. We'll be able to sample directly off the barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:22 pm 

Drinking a Red Chair right now and for all the great beers I tried last night I don't think any of them can touch this. Making things even better, this sixer of Red Chair only cost me $6.99.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:37 am 

I'm off to work, the place not actual work, to drink some Brainless On Peaches from Epic Brewing (silver medal winner) and some Westvletern 6, 8 & 12. My boss was in Europe and brought them back for me. Hooray!
I'm guessing he has some sours too.

Last edited by spiritualleader on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 am 

Lucky you....never had a job with some great perks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm 

Popped in the liquor store not wanting to spend too much money so picked up a bottle of of New Belgiums LOF Biere De Mars. Never had the style before and at $5.99 seemed like a decent gamble since that's what the budget allowed. Very happy with it so far, a nice beer to drink while I enjoy the decent weather.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 am 

Picked up a couple of US beers I've not seen before at the local bottle shop:

Magic Hat Brewing #9 Pale Ale

Weird fake tasting tangerine hop aroma and taste. Quite disgusting. I need to find out what this hop is so I can avoid it in future, I wonder if this has been mishandled? Best before date is August 2012.

Dundee Brewing IPA.

It's a US IPA, and not a particularly good one. Boring, and tastes like the same hop was used (in a lesser quantity, in combination with the usual suspects, Amarillo & Columbus. Possibly.) Better than the first, but still pretty ordinary. Again, I suspect this may have been mishandled.

Both listed a brewery address in Rochester, NY.

I think I'm going to have to make a detour tomorrow night and grab some of that Green Flash Hop Head Red for "research purposes".

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 73  Next