Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 70 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 pm 

Awesome stuff, as always. Does me heart good to see one Keepin' it GRYMM 'n Keepin' it WYRD. Ha!

NP: Katatonia-Brave Yester Days (Disc 2)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 am 

dutch gus wrote:
Got two buckets of damson wine in the making - seeded one with a white wine yeast and it's bubbling away happily, doing the other old style and hoping the native yeast does its stuff. Not going strong yet although there is a bit of fizz on the top, bit anxious about spoilage but it was more or less free (50p for sugar).

Getting geared up for cider season but I'll have to scrump this year as there's bog all on my tree. I notice a lot of hop poles sprung up at our allotments, wonder what people are brewing...

Civilised damson batch is in bottles, rough one STILL bubbling away after finally getting going when I racked it off the pulp.

Picked 25kg of apples yesterday, may be pressing today :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:04 pm 

In the previous page I said how I was moving away from sours...and I've drunk almost nothing but sours since that sentiment xP

Gose strain w/ sea salt and orchard peaches. Probably the best sour I've tasted thus far.

ABV: 4.2 IBU: 10

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Acidulated, CaraHell, Crystal 110, wheat

Hops: Cluster

Other: Organic Peaches, Himalayan Pink Salt, Coriander, Lactobacillus, German Hefeweizen yeast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:57 pm 

From the 'Ancient Ales' series.

unique new brew: wheat, lingonberries, cranberries, myrica gale, yarrow, honey and birch syrup.

Microbiologist, Patrick McGovern, cultivated samples from the tomb of a Scandinavian priestess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 am 

Feral cider has entered primary fermentation, nice and frothy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 pm 

Finally made the move down to New Mexico this past weekend and have been enjoying the shit out of drinking tons of La Cumbre brews. Elevated and Malpais Stout have been my victims so far, but got some Project Dank and Red Ryeot in the fridge waiting. Definitely cracking the Project Dank open this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:11 pm 

Albuquerque aint so bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 am 

I read up on La Cumbre, and it sounds they got some killer IPAs. Did Project Dank live up to its name, Adam?

Lately, I've been knocking back as many of the fresh hop brews I can get my hands on. Deschutes Hop Trip is an all-time fav of the style, but Troeg's Hop Knife, Surly's Wet, and Castle Danger's Fresh Hop Mosaic really stood out. Castle Danger out of Minnesota is one of the best new breweries I've stumbled upon this past year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:14 pm 

La Cumbre has some killer beers, not just IPA's --> though that does seem to be what they are best known for . Everything I have tried from these guys has been great; which includes their Red Ryeot (red, rye ale), Malpais Stout (a foreign stout), La Llolona (a baltic porter on draft in their taproom) in addition to Elevated IPA and this latest wet hop version of Project Dank. I have a Full Nelson IIPA sitting in my fridge waiting to be opened. I came to Albuquerque thinking Marble would be my local brewery of choice and have yet to even have anything from Marble since being here, it has been La Cumbre, La Cumbre, La Cumbre. Marble will be a staple in my rotation (their Oatmeal Stout is perhaps my favorite bottled regular abv stout) but they will be sharing space with La Cumbre, that is for sure.

As for Project Dank living up to it's name...the beer is constantly changing, experimenting with different hop recipes each batch., this bottle being a wet hop version. Regarding this batch, I'd say it lives up to its reputation moreso than the name. It was a great, hoppy beer but I did not find it to necessarily be dank. I'd imagine other variations of this series, though, are dank....just depends on which hops they choose to use for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:25 pm 

Also, have yet to get around to Deschutes hop trip this year. Need to fix that as that is one of my favorite wet hop beers, and probably my favorite packaged wet hop beer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:57 pm 

Just got this on a whim because I'm a sucker for corked & caged 12 ounce bottles. I'm always a bit leary when a label claims to be "Abbey style", but I guess 'Ovila' is an actual Abbey?
I was also a bit nervous about the Mandarin thing. It turns out the sweetness is perfectly blended with the malts and spices…cloistered complexity!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:00 am 

La Chouffe! Damn, i miss seeing that lil red cap beer gnome. It's been at least 2 years since i uncaged one. :(

Need to fix that PDQ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:56 am 

They have a couple of different Chouffe's (a blond, a brown, a McChouffe?) at the beer shop near here but the prices are a bit pokey. What are they about those beers?

I find a lot of these Belges a bit interchangeable. How does this compare to a Duvel?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 am 

I've had a few interesting ones lately.

Had a Yuzu Berlinerweiss the other night. It was good.

The place up the street from me is supposed to be getting Anderson Valley's Watermelon Gose. I'm not sure how that's going to be, I guess it's really limited and they're one of the few places that will actually get it. I'm supposed to pop in today and pick up some, as they're curious about my opinion on it.

Speaking of Gose, did anyone try the "Two Evil" collaboration Geyser Gose??? Another really limited one, it was made with Icelandic Kelp and a bunch of other odd ingredients. The first sip was....odd, as one would expect, though I found it really drinkable once I got used to the odd combination of flavors.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:26 am 

Damocles74 wrote:
Just got this on a whim because I'm a sucker for corked & caged 12 ounce bottles. I'm always a bit leary when a label claims to be "Abbey style", but I guess 'Ovila' is an actual Abbey?
I was also a bit nervous about the Mandarin thing. It turns out the sweetness is perfectly blended with the malts and spices…cloistered complexity!

Ovila WILL be an Abbey. William Randolph Hearst bought a French abbey many years ago, dismantled it and shipped it to California where it's been sitting ever since. A group of priests bought it and plan to assemble it in northern California. Sierra Nevada agreed to brew their beer with the profits going to the reconstruction effort. Once finished the brewery in the abbey will be a Trappist brewery. One of the main people involved is the head of the Trappist board.

All the beers are quite good. They've made a saison, a dubbel and a quad with variations on each (barrel-aged, fruit, etc.)

By the way, did you know there's a Trappist brewery in Rome now? Tre Fontane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 am 

They're producing some good Belgian style sours out of Italy as well these days.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:07 pm 

Quote:
Ovila WILL be an Abbey. William Randolph Hearst bought a French abbey many years ago, dismantled it and shipped it to California where it's been sitting ever since. A group of priests bought it and plan to assemble it in northern California. Sierra Nevada agreed to brew their beer with the profits going to the reconstruction effort. Once finished the brewery in the abbey will be a Trappist brewery. One of the main people involved is the head of the Trappist board.

All the beers are quite good. They've made a saison, a dubbel and a quad with variations on each (barrel-aged, fruit, etc.)

By the way, did you know there's a Trappist brewery in Rome now? Tre Fontane

I just read about that new Italian Trappist brewery - que bella!! and thanks for the clarification about Ovila.

Talk about a Gose bomber! This Kent Falls 'Alternate World' is a dry-hopped Gose monster. Think sour-patch kid meets salty Margarita. I know that may not sound mouth-watering...just have to trust me.

Tomorrow morning I'll be going to the farmer's market to pick up their new release, 'When Life Gives You Grapefruit'. A 5.4% abv barrel aged farmhouse ale with locally grown grapefruit juice and zest added.

http://www.kentfallsbrewing.com/category/blog/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:36 am 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
They're producing some good Belgian style sours out of Italy as well these days.

Yes, I know.
A friend of mine and I wrote the first book about Italian craft beer.
www.italybeercountry.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 pm 

i waited 4 hours in line today in brooklyn for a hipster ipa. it is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:21 am 

Adam, you're killing it with those New Mexico brews. I just finished my third sixer of Deschutes Hop Trip, and second of Founder's Harvest Ale. Always sad to see the fresh hop brews go, but here come the stouts (BCS and Perennial Abraxas).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:40 am 

Demon Lung wrote:
i waited 4 hours in line today in brooklyn for a hipster ipa. it is amazing.

Lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 am 

Still more worthwhile than waiting 4hrs for a hipster band tho. Ha!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:50 am 

Does anyone know how this laser works? Apparently it detects c02 bottle conditioning or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:33 am 

Damn. That's a bit silly imho. Craft Brewing jumped the shark?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:03 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
Damn. That's a bit silly imho. Craft Brewing jumped the shark?

It's like the "white lightning bolt" guitar strap of the beer world xD

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 70 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next