Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:22 pm 

Marc, Bierwinkel heeft Westvleteren 12 op het moment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm 

Blown to oblivion, pray for power

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:28 pm 

Fuck beer, I'm on the ciderrrrrrrrr.

OUWE APPELEN BOVEN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm 

Leve oude appels!!!

Didn't make the cider, Harry. Too broke, and the cider bar in town that I wanted to take the bottles from to bottle it in also went bust. But I'll keep your advice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:57 pm 

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Victory at Sea. On Nitro.
Ballast Point.
Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter. 10%.
The regular bottled version is sort of too sweet and vanilla-ish.
The barrel aged is incredible!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:29 am 

This coming weekend, I am putting down an Imperial Spiced Porter made with the water we're boiling the christmas puddings in (very late to be doing this I know) and possibly an addition of the rum soaked dry fruit depending on how it tastes during/after the boil. I haven't worked out the grain bill yet, but it'll be made of leftovers that I already have and hopped with some Pacific Gem hops I have left over. That way I've wasted nothing if it turns out to be undrinkable!

Aiming for about 9% ABV, quite sweet with a Christmas pud spice/rum background and 12 months in the bottle for next Krampusmass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/12/14/coming-to-a-tap-near-you-tebrew/11233/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blog%29

TeBrew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am 

Picked up a bottle of Moondog Black Lung Bourbon Smoked stout. The first sip was fucking disgusting, but now the bourbon is coming through the rauchmalt. Way too smoky for my taste, I'm actually struggling to finish this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:13 am 

Been on this this week

Velvet smooth texture with a bit of caramel to it before the stouty bitterness comes in. Tasty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:15 am 

defyall wrote:
Been on this this week

Velvet smooth texture with a bit of caramel to it before the stouty bitterness comes in. Tasty.

Pretty sure they had bottles of that at the place I picked up the Black Lung from. Wish I had have got that instead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:03 am 

They're a cracking little brewery. The Meantime IPA, London Stout and their porter are as nice as anything I've had all year.

"Great beer takes time. We're from Greenwich, we understand time"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:45 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:37 pm 

Adam wrote:
spiritualleader wrote:
If it's too hoppy, just age it a little bit. The hops will dissipate noticeably within a few weeks. Buy a six-pack and test them once a week and you'll figure it out.

I do that with Dales Pale Ale sometimes, which I think is a little more aggressively hoppy. I'll have to try that with the Union Jack too, but honestly the UJ has grown on me (much like Odell's IPA has) and by the end of the bottle I was paying less attention to the bitterhops and more attention to everything else I liked about it.

Finally drank again after taking a little time off. Started off with a bottle of Union Jack that I had let sit for a couple months in the fridge. Very nice as the bitterness level to it was pretty low. I am sure all you hopheads are scratching your heads....

Right now just opened some Firestone Walker Walker's Reserve Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Had one of these the other night and it was pretty tasty. 9% good enough to keep warm in the winter. I had to go from the bottle for lack of an appropriate glass, but still got a decent feel for the flavor, which was right-on for the holidays. Will probably pick up another this week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 pm 

Bruery; Bottleworks XII & Carmen.
Two totally different and delicious takes on sour style.
My wife and I enjoyed these Saturday Night.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:20 pm 

I had an Onion beer from Maui Brewing last night.
Smelled like french onion soup. Tasted about the same.
Not sure that I'd just reach for one, but I bet it'd go great with certain foods.
It'd probably be delicious with a burger, for instance. Or a roast.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:46 pm 

Honestly, I don't think I could be brave enough to try an Onion Beer.

Bought a mixed 6'er the other day.

1) Rogue's Mocha Porter; it's okay but I probably wouldn't buy it again/
2) Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter; had it before but liked it a lot more this time around. I let it warm up just a tad this time around and it made a huge difference as it really allowed the vanilla flavor to come out. I will definitely get this again.
3)Firestone Walker's Pale Ale 31; FW with another winner in my book.
4)New Belgiums Frambozeen; interesting but another one I probably wouldn't buy again.
5)Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice; I did not like this one at all.
6)Youngs Double Chocolate Stout; haven't tried it yet. Sampled it prior and wasn't too into it but thinking I might be more open to it now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:28 pm 

Adam wrote:
Honestly, I don't think I could be brave enough to try an Onion Beer.

It's just beer, man.

The way I look at it, I was brave enough to try Bud Light, so what's the big deal with trying an Onion Beer?

Had Mikkeller's Santa's Little Helper on tap last night. Very, very good. Rich and interesting with notes of vanilla, dates, baker's chocolate and a little espresso. Yum.

Had a suckling pig stuffed with sausage, wild mushrooms, truffles, onions, brioche and duck confit. Super yummy and decadent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:28 pm 

That food sounds excessively rich.... in a good way!

I just had a pleasing couple pints of Old Slug porter, I can be a bit hit and miss with porters, not worked out what I like yet. Mind you I was obviously up for dark beers today, came back from the shops with a Dark Lord, an Oyster Stout, a Cornish Buccaneer and (old favourite) a Riggwelter.
All dark-ruby to dark, must be winter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 pm 

Merry Christmas.

Gonna hang out with my girlfriend today and make pasties and drink beer, and maybe some eggnog too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:39 pm 

Onion flavor from a beer is just a flavor profile that doesn't have any appeal for me. Onion flavor in non-solid form in general (like French Onion Soup) is just not my thing.

Getting ready to open up a bomber of Dry Dock's Vanilla Porter. Going to drink that side by Side with Breckendridges Vanilla Porter to compare the two. Never had Dry Docks prior so I am looking forward to checking it out.

Also, noticed that Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar is available in 6 packs. I didn't have the budget to pick a sixer of it up (the place I went to had it at $11.50, hopefully it will be cheaper elsewhere) but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. One of my favorites and sooo happy not to have to waste money on bombers of it anymore. Now if they could just get their Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout into 6'ers as well I will be one happy man.

*Edit* Trying the Dry Dock now and enjoying it. The vanilla beans really assert themselves and this is quite a sweet drink. I definitely like it though it's definitely best in moderation as the sweetness to this one could become too much if you had too much of it. A bomber of it is probably the ideal amount. Actually, scratch that, make it a pint is probably the ideal amount. By the end of the bomber it really got a little too sweet for my tastebuds.

Between this and Breckenridges, I think I prefer Breckenridge's as its a tad less sweet and also seemed to have a nice bitter coffee backbone to it. It's funny though cause I thought BB's Vanilla Porter was pretty terrible for the longest time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Trying this for the first time tonight, and there's no way I'd drink it out of a champagne flute as pictured above. Typical for Sam Adams, they've gone with the "hops=flavor" model that so much of American craft brewing has followed in their wake, and blended it with Euro-style farm ale spiciness and boldness of undertone. It demands a wider glass than they recommend, but typical for me, I'm going straight from the bottle, so it's moot anyway.

I dig it well enough. There's something fruity about it, and it's damn near floral on the nose (they make champagne comparisons, and I guess that's valid because I can't think of anything better), but it doesn't offend. I still can't help but think of four or five European beers that this beer is trying to be in league with that I wouldn't rather drink, but I don't necessarily regret trying it.

Like my rock, I like my beer European and thickly toned. Plus, 10.3% alcohol pretty much assures a slow start to the morning after the three Otter Creek Copper Ales I had coming into this session. So it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm 

That Infinium looks really carbonated.

I have yet to have a Samuel Adams brew that I could get into. Not that I have tried too many but of the few I have -- Boston Lager, Cream Stout, Cherry Wheat (which I thought was flat out disgusting), Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) off the top of my head -- I never finished one and wanted more. I'd put the Cream Stout as my favorite that I have tried but still wouldn't go back to, as there are plenty more Cream/Milk Stouts out there that I personally prefer.

I have heard good things about the Chocolate Bock and their Java Stout (that just came out in their winter mixer), both of which I am curious to try.

Currently enjoying a beautiful Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue. So good; the only thing better would be if they could use hazelnut beans instead of the extract for the flavor. I am complete sucker for hazelnut so I will enjoy it no matter how they get the flavor, but I would definitely enjoy it more if it was a more natural flavor. I wouldn't mind a little less carbonation either but ultimately don't care about that. Love this beer.

And now onto some DBA from Firestone Walker. Between the Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Double Barrel Ale it's great night of beer drinking -- 2 of my absolute favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 pm 

This was good, interesting hints of belgian ales and porters:

The infinum is waiting in the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 am 

That Ovila is good, not great, but good. I think with a touch more body it could get to the great level. They are working on a barrel-aged version, which might lend enough complexity to give it a bit more heft. We'll see.

Adam,
Have you tried the Maui Coconut Porter? I think you'd like it. Comes in a can. Yum.

H.P. -
you're a moron, and I say that lovingly as I have friends from New Jersey. Really, you talk about "nose" on a beer and, yet, you're drinking it straight from the bottle? That's like holding your nose while eating foie gras and saying it smells great.
Do the beer a favor and just try to drink IT. Not all the other great beers you love, just drink IT and judge IT for what IT is.
I haven't had it, so maybe it sucks, but it sounds like you want it to be something other than what it is. Kinda like that Swedish chick I dated who kept saying, well this is better in Sweden. My eventual question was why the fuck did you leave Sweden if it was so fucking great?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 73  Next