Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 68 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:00 pm 

dutch gus wrote:
Just to wave it around in front of the sour/wild yeast crowd...

Had another bottle of my Spontaneous Cider this evening. Apples from my plot pressed and untreated, native microlife did the rest. It's significantly better than my batches that were sterilised and seeded with a cultured yeast but there is a risk of spoiling.

Sounds amazing! I wonder what ester flavors the yeast imparts with fructose sugar flocculation.

French wheat ale brewed with herbs and spices that grow naturally on the Mediterranean island of Corsica. I don't know exactly if it's a 'Biere de Garde' - The French equivalent of a Belgian saison - but these French beers (La Goudale) are slowly becoming my favorite. They just seem to fit my personality.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:14 am 

Damocles74 wrote:
^^ I didn't know you could sour a brown? I would've thought the sour to clash with the malt.
It's a great time for microbrewery's; so much creativity going on.

I totally forgot about BAR New Haven, I believe I saw you play there before ;)

You can technically sour anything. I'd had a sour brown before and loved it, up in Vermont when I was just getting into this whole sour thing. I believe it was Trois Dames, though I honestly can't remember, that was a fuzzy time for some reason.

I've had sour stouts, sour blondes, sour this, sour that, you name it you name it...

Yeah, there is a lot of creativity going on, though it's a bit hit or times. I've had some stuff recently that I was just like....eh. And I've had stuff that was really gross tasting to my palate, though a noble effort. Jolly Pumpkin has done a lot of cool experimental sours that I've gotten down with, including a sour brown flavored with cacao. They also do a sour persimmons beer, totally amazing.

You did see me play BAR! Nice place, I showed the little lady the room we played in.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:21 pm 

Super flavorful dark sour 'Wildbier' with Brettanomyces yeast.
This beer has been brewed in large wooden oak foeders and flavored with seasonal citrus: Satsuma Mandarin and it is among the most spectacular ales put out by Crooked Stave brewery in Denver Co.

There is even a time stamped date and batch number with each bottle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm 

^That looks very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:01 am 

libertycaps wrote:
^That looks very interesting.

Its definitely an experience (my gf said it smells like salad dressing). From what I understand, the Brett yeast strain (longer attenuation period) alone is very similar to the common Saccharomyces yeast strain found in most ales and lagers. It's not until you introduce the Lactobacillus bacteria that it gets interesting.
You could pitch a Brettanomyces yeast starter into the secondary and it would continue to consume some of the sugars that the Saccharomyces wouldn't to produce that "wild" (not sour) barnyard funk flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:58 am 

Lacto does different things than Brett. There are a bunch of different Brett strains and they all create different flavors and aromatics.

We visited Trinity Brewing in Colorado Springs and they are about to release a series of beers brewed with these different strains. I think there will be six of them. One was common Brettanomyces bruxellanus (my spelling is likely off). One will use the 3 Fonteinen strain, one was a strain Peter Bouckhart (former brewer at Rodenbach, now head brewer at New Belgium) tracked down in Belgium. It was from some old brewery there and it is by far the most barnyardy yeast I've come across. The beer smells like you just turned over a fresh cow patty. The only thing missing was the "moo."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:20 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
Lacto does different things than Brett. There are a bunch of different Brett strains and they all create different flavors and aromatics.

We visited Trinity Brewing in Colorado Springs and they are about to release a series of beers brewed with these different strains. I think there will be six of them. One was common Brettanomyces bruxellanus (my spelling is likely off). One will use the 3 Fonteinen strain, one was a strain Peter Bouckhart (former brewer at Rodenbach, now head brewer at New Belgium) tracked down in Belgium. It was from some old brewery there and it is by far the most barnyardy yeast I've come across. The beer smells like you just turned over a fresh cow patty. The only thing missing was the "moo."

But none of these releases are sours?

Hibiscus, Rose Hips and Chamomile ale by GRIMM pours cotton candy pink? It's billed as a wild farmhouse ale, but if there are no hops I would think it to be a gruit.

35mm with too fast film (800 speed) and 100mm Takumar lens @ f16

They have quite the eclectic selection of brews...http://grimmales.com/our-beers/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 am 

Those releases are all variations of sours.
When you put Brett in a beer it will go sour, just depends on how much time you've given it. At the very least you'll get some funk character, like Orval and Green Flash's Rayon Vert.
With places like Crooked Stave everything they put out has at least a bit of tartness to it. The strains they use stay away from the funk side of things.

Trinity was showcasing what the different strains can do to a beer from funk to sour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
Those releases are all variations of sours.
When you put Brett in a beer it will go sour, just depends on how much time you've given it. At the very least you'll get some funk character, like Orval and Green Flash's Rayon Vert.
With places like Crooked Stave everything they put out has at least a bit of tartness to it. The strains they use stay away from the funk side of things.

Trinity was showcasing what the different strains can do to a beer from funk to sour.

Yeah, active Brett will eat up the sugar, drying things out and usually adding some sourness. If you age an Orval for long enough, it will get funky and then a little tart. I have done this.

I've been drinking a lot of the session sours in cans. White Birch's Berliner Weiss, Anderson Valley's Gose and Blood Orange Gose, and the gose style from Six Point Brewery, Jammer. The Jammer isn't very sour and has a very pronounced salt and coriander flavor. Anderson Valley's The Kimmie The Yink And The Holy Gose is over the top tart, very acetic.

White Birch's Berliner Weiss is pretty sour as well, though a bit more well balanced. Lost Nation makes a really refreshing Berliner Weiss, and I had one by Jack's Abbey on Saturday night that was also quite refreshing....

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 pm 

I'd like some more beer right now but there's none in the house.
Turns out 660ml of 6.7% ipa is just enough to make me want to get on one.

Saving myself for eyehategod tomorrow, else I'd be out the door to the offy. I suppose there's the issue of setting a bad example to my son too. Pah.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:28 pm 

I think my journey of sours may be coming to an end, or at least off my radar for a time.
the WILD BEER co. out of Oxford England makes this sour pale and it has little resemblance, if any, to actual beer. It tastes more like a highly carbonated lemonade or Chardonnay and it fizzed for a good 40 seconds when I poured it down the drain. I guess I am more in love with the "idea" and creativity of how these beers are made. I will not say that my pursuits have been in vain because 'Crooked Stave' and Duchesse du Bourgogne sours have been a very rewarding experience.
The thing with this current movement of sour beers is that they pair very well with fish and seafood dishes. I don't think I've ever had seafood in my life…definitely not fish, never will.

http://www.wildbeerco.com/beers/somerset-wild/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:56 am 

Had one of those from the posh beer shop, similarly I didn't really see what it was doing on the 'beer' shelf. On the other hand I drank it all heheh.

They have a real range of odd brews like that, every so often I risk one and it's always pleasing but never amazing, and they're not cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 am 

This has been my most recent discovery that I cannot get enough of. One of the best saisons I have tried. Off Color's Apex Predator.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 am 

^ In 100% agreement re: Apex Predator. I was on a biz trip in Chicago last week and got to try it for the first time on tap. So damn good. Despite all the fancy saisons out there, I still the dig the hell out of the multi-pack saisons like Apex Predator, Soriachi Ace and Allagash's Saison.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 pm 

New brewery just opened a couple towns away from me.

http://www.kentfallsbrewing.com/?age-verified=f75fd6d603

Kent Ct. is very pastoral and much like Kent England I think. These are my motorcycle journeying "The Shire" lands and I'm very glad to have a sustainable energy brewery here. I even signed up for their volunteer program.

I had their Saison at a local pub and it was exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I think it's brewed with 'spelt'.

http://www.kentfallsbrewing.com/bottles-of-spelt/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:26 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:
I think my journey of sours may be coming to an end, or at least off my radar for a time.
the WILD BEER co. out of Oxford England makes this sour pale and it has little resemblance, if any, to actual beer. It tastes more like a highly carbonated lemonade or Chardonnay and it fizzed for a good 40 seconds when I poured it down the drain. I guess I am more in love with the "idea" and creativity of how these beers are made. I will not say that my pursuits have been in vain because 'Crooked Stave' and Duchesse du Bourgogne sours have been a very rewarding experience.
The thing with this current movement of sour beers is that they pair very well with fish and seafood dishes. I don't think I've ever had seafood in my life…definitely not fish, never will.

http://www.wildbeerco.com/beers/somerset-wild/

I don't care for Wild Beer Co. stuff at all, and I love sours....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:42 am 

dylan i had a sour the other day that i actually enjoyed. russian river supplication. yesterday i went to this real hip brewery in brooklyn and got a case of this real hip dipa called green diamonds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:59 pm 

I thought this would be a gimmick Ale (Game of Thrones?), but after reading some reviews I decided to give it a try. It's good...very good. There is a rich smoothness, something like a Guiness, which carries dark flavors and toasted malts with very subtle bitterness (only 30 ibu's).
Perhaps this could be what Zadok Allen was drinking that night on the shore with Robert Olmstead where the eyes of the "Deep Ones", ever watchful inside rolling malevolent waves, patiently wait for night to fall over the town of Innsmouth.

Last edited by Damocles74 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:07 pm 

Wiper & True saison - 'cinq'
'farmhouse' yeast and five new world hops, tasty but a bit thin. At 4.4% very drinkable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:13 pm 

I did a La Chouffe clone (with adjunct witchcraft herbs and plum extract) and it came out brilliant. I even learned an easy way to cork and cage Belgian bottles with a wing-style wine press.

ColloquiAle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:02 pm 

Can someone please explain what exactly is a 'Braggot' Ale?

http://www.eater.com/beer/2015/3/24/8281939/braggot-is-what-happens-when-honey-meets-beer

It seems to have its derivations somewhere in the Scottish Pict era [1 BCE].
I don't understand what component makes it a "mead style" Ale other than wildflower honey.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:46 pm 

Drinking alot of Gilgamesh Grapefruit Radler lately. Trying to get away from big ABV IPA bombs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:10 pm 

Back in Denver and impressed with how much new beer and breweries are on the local shelves. Hit up Comrade Brewery earlier today and had some Superpower, which is definitely one of the best ipa's to come from this state. Right now drinking an Odell Oktoberfest which is not doing much for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 pm 

Hey Adam,
Welcome back! Comrade Superpower is the best IPA from Colorado, no question. All the beer they make is good and their IIPA is stunning. I think they will have that out again around GABF. We were drinking it side by side with Pliny The Younger and we thought either one was a solid choice.

Check out Spangalang, if you're still in town. New brewery from former head brewer from Great Divide. (in Five Points).

Also, Beryl's, near Epic, is worth a stop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 pm 

Thanks, Paul.

Definitely nice being back in Denver. While I was only away from Colorado for the past year, I hadn't actually lived in Denver for 3 years (prior 2 years were in Fort Collins). The city as a whole sure seems to have exploded since I last lived down here.. It definitely seems a lot busier than I remember it. When I first moved out to Denver (from Philly) I actually wanted it to have been a little bigger/busier than I initially found it. Then I got to know Denver and grew to love it. Now that it has gotten bigger/busier, I miss the Denver I moved into a bit. Not complaining one bit, its my favorite place I have lived, but it will take a little adjustment on my part.

I'll add Spaangalang and Beryl's to my list of wants. Other places I want to check out that I have yet to include the new Avery, the new Great Divide barrel room, Mockery, the new St. Patricks location, Odd13, and Cannonball Creek. Money's tight right now as I am beginning the job hunt and have no cash coming in. I still have a some college loans to hold me over for a couple months but I definitely need to find some source of income ASAP to allow me the opportunity to check these places out, even if it is part time.

And I also hope to be able to hit up Falling Rock. Sitting out on the Falling Rock patio on a cool/warm summer night and enjoying a great beer remains one of my favorite drinking spots in Colorado, even if I only stop by on occassion.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 68 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 73  Next