Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 66 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:30 pm 

^ Hard liquor reminds me of my father having a few shots and acting like an asshole in the restaurant, snapping his fingers at the waitress ;( My dad used to leave me in the car while he went drinking (Jack Daniels) at the bar all night. I've stayed away from hard liquor and wine all my life for this reason.

Weyerbacher mango wheat ale has an exotic, Gauguin in Bali, high alcohol fruit splash mouthfeel. I didn't have anything to eat all day and one made me feel woozy.
A lot of fun to drink while homebrewing a new Ale (La Chouffe Golden clone).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:33 pm 

^Looks like a tidy and pro set up, man. I'm sure your home brew is amazin'.

I'm gonna need a beer or two after i deal with just happened in my back yard today. It could have been alot worse. Just the fence got fucked. But holy shit balls just the same....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:14 pm 

^ Green grass! I almost don't remember what that's like (another 5" of snow today).

I love corked & caged 12oz. bottles.
This Belgian-style Abbey Tripel doesn't disappoint. Banana, clove and bread aromas are a dizzying bliss lead-in to an insane cream head with complex spiced flavors. Liquid gold!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:24 pm 

First
Then
Running a chainsaw again after ~20 years was alot of fun. Just like getting back on your bike.
Very mild Winter for us this year. Spring has sprung. My raspberries looks esp. happy this year after cutting them back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm 

Happy National Beer Day!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:21 pm 

Split a 2014 Cigar City Hunahpu Imperial Stout w/ a friend. I tend to be cynical about uber-hyped beers and I'm not a fan of cinnamon-forward stouts [sans Perennial Abraxas]. But damn it if this beer didn't exceed the hype. Perfect blend of cinnamon, vanilla, heat, and cacao nibs. And way to easy to down for its ABV. Scrambling to find some more...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:33 am 

heavythisaxe wrote:
Split a 2014 Cigar City Hunahpu Imperial Stout w/ a friend. I tend to be cynical about uber-hyped beers and I'm not a fan of cinnamon-forward stouts [sans Perennial Abraxas]. But damn it if this beer didn't exceed the hype. Perfect blend of cinnamon, vanilla, heat, and cacao nibs. And way to easy to down for its ABV. Scrambling to find some more...

^One of a handful of beers I've never tried that I'd like to at some point. I like a lot of things Cigar City does, but that whole Hunahpu thing seems like it's never gonna happen, what with the way they do their bottle release nowdays.

Had a Founders KBS this past weekend head to head with a Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout, which is supposed to be a good matchup and much easier to get. I didn't think it was as good, more boozy, but I've got plans to do it again in a month or two. Didn't think KBS was anywhere as good as CBS, neither did the wife.

Anyone had any of Jackie O's barrel aged stouts? They're killing it, but I don't think they're widely known outside of Ohio? I think their Bourbon Barrel Black Maple was the best barrel aged beer I've ever had, better than Dark Lord, CBS, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:10 am 

It's Belgian beer week!!!

My favorite place has the Hof Ten Dormaal Sour Blonde on tap, it's divine. That is one of my all-time favorite beers, it's nice having it on tap.

There's a keg of Cantillon being tapped this Saturday, it's on the DL and not being advertised or anything, though I'm going with my lady friend =)

This week I tried a couple more Alvinne's, the Omega and the Phi. Both very well balanced and refreshing.

Also tried this black gose made with volcanic salt, I think it was called "Out Gose The Lights". It was good, pricey ($13 for the bottle), though definitely an experience.

Going to get lunch and a couple more tasty beers in the little bit!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am 

lftwng4 wrote:
Anyone had any of Jackie O's barrel aged stouts? They're killing it, but I don't think they're widely known outside of Ohio? I think their Bourbon Barrel Black Maple was the best barrel aged beer I've ever had, better than Dark Lord, CBS, etc.

I downed a bottle of Jackie O's rum barrel-aged Oil of Aphrodite walnut stout last year, and it was aces. Cheap too. Whole lotta bang for your buck.

I got lucky with Hunaphu, b/c my friend has family in Tampa. Definitely a hard-to-come-by brew.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm 

Grabbed some KBS yesterday. Only had it on tap once before, but I loved it. Seems like everyone likes to talk it down, but I thought it lived up to all the hype. Can't wait to try this bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:04 am 

Adam wrote:
Grabbed some KBS yesterday. Only had it on tap once before, but I loved it. Seems like everyone likes to talk it down, but I thought it lived up to all the hype. Can't wait to try this bottle.

KBS is an all-time fav of mine. A 2-year old bottle of that beer is tough to beat. IMHO, it doesn't age that well beyond the 2-year mark though. Same w/ CBS - another beast.

I know coffee-infused stouts aren't for everybody, but Founder's is about as good as it gets on that front.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:53 am 

Is Weyerbacher available in either one of you guys' areas? I'd be interested in what you think of that Sunday Morning Stout.

CBS hasn't been bottled in a couple years? Love to get my hands on that again.
I've been sitting on a big bottle of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown for a couple years now, not a fan of brown ales, and I've heard mixed reviews about it, just waiting for the proper group of tasting fans, as I don't think my wife and I want to tackle it on our own.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:09 am 

How long can you age those darker beers? I know that they will oxidize after awhile, and start to taste like a cardboard box if aged too long.

I mostly age sours, which have a very, very song shelf life and tend to develop unique characteristics depending on the yeast and such....

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:32 am 

lftwng4, Weyerbacher is not available where I live, but I have heard great things about that particular stout. As for Frangelic, I thought it was solid the few times I've had it. Not a game changer though. Also, I don't think Founder's has bottled CBS for a few years, but they still distribute kegs of it. Five bars in my area got kegs this year.

Dylan, I view aging the dark stuff as a mix of personal preference and trial and error. I try to hit up a few vertical events a year to determine what I'm dealing with re: stouts and barleywines. Through those kind of events I've found out I don't care for Goose Island BCS that is over 3 years old [the cardboard box issue], Sierra Nevada's Big Foot has the life span of an Old Testament person, and barrel-aged milk stouts go bad really damn fast [sour milk, blah!]. I'm starting to think barrel-aged stouts infused with highly acidic coffee blends don't age well b/c the coffee takes complete control over time. Again, I'm no expert. But I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express two years ago.

Sour and saison aging is fun as hell. I got a nice backlog of Boulevard Love Child in the cellar. I don't even drink that beer when it gets released, b/c it's sooooo damn incredible with a few years on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 pm 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
How long can you age those darker beers? I know that they will oxidize after awhile, and start to taste like a cardboard box if aged too long.

I mostly age sours, which have a very, very song shelf life and tend to develop unique characteristics depending on the yeast and such....

A good question. I realized I never actually thought about it before, so I looked it up:

"It's like your stereo system," says Dogfish Head Quality Control Manager Rebecca Newman. "If you like it really tinny and not very bass-y, you adjust that. Think of beer coming out of the brewery as really tinny, really sharp, really crisp. Over time, those bass notes – those bigger, fuller, sweeter, malty flavors – come up, and a lot of the sharpness is diminished. So, what do you like: bass or treble?"
While there are no hard-and-fast rules to aging beers, it helps to keep a few things in mind."

http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/justin-williams/5-things-you-should-know-about-aging-beer.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:57 pm 

I don't cellar Ale of any style for more than 3 months. I never cellar anything with hops in it. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 am 

Has anybody tried aging a barrel-aged IPA? Surely, the shelf life can't be that extended, right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 am 

Damocles74 wrote:
Dylan Thomas wrote:

A good question. I realized I never actually thought about it before, so I looked it up:

"It's like your stereo system," says Dogfish Head Quality Control Manager Rebecca Newman. "If you like it really tinny and not very bass-y, you adjust that. Think of beer coming out of the brewery as really tinny, really sharp, really crisp. Over time, those bass notes – those bigger, fuller, sweeter, malty flavors – come up, and a lot of the sharpness is diminished. So, what do you like: bass or treble?"
While there are no hard-and-fast rules to aging beers, it helps to keep a few things in mind."

http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/justin-williams/5-things-you-should-know-about-aging-beer.htm

Good article, though sours are a whole different animal, and seem to play by a different set of rules in some regards. They're mostly low alcohol content, and age very, very well for long periods of time, for the most part. Some better than others, like anything else, and it does depend on individual taste, as some sours get more....extreme over time.

A lot of them are aged in advance, or are a combination of old ales and young ales.

Orval is great aged, as they spike it with active Brett at the end. It dries out and becomes sour over time, it's a pretty remarkable change.

Speaking of sours, looking forward to drinking some delicious Cantillon this fine evening....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:45 am 

Don't get Weyerbacher around here either, nor did I back in Colorado.

I don't like barrel aged hoppy beers. Perhaps aging them and killing the hops from the equation might be to my liking, but the few BA IPA's I have tried have really been all toasted oak and hops with minimal complexity from the malt. Seems to me those beers would be rather plain and boring once the hops died out.

Last edited by Adam on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:51 am 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
Damocles74 wrote:
Dylan Thomas wrote:

Good article, though sours are a whole different animal, and seem to play by a different set of rules in some regards. They're mostly low alcohol content, and age very, very well for long periods of time, for the most part. Some better than others, like anything else, and it does depend on individual taste, as some sours get more....extreme over time.

A lot of them are aged in advance, or are a combination of old ales and young ales.

Orval is great aged, as they spike it with active Brett at the end. It dries out and becomes sour over time, it's a pretty remarkable change.

Speaking of sours, looking forward to drinking some delicious Cantillon this fine evening....

I believe the thing with sour/wild ales is that (unless they are coming from New Belgium) they are unpasteurized and the wild yeast remains active, continuing to allow the beer to develop and evolve. I believe (though could be 100% wrong) that regular yeast contribute most, if not all, of their influence during the brewing process. By the time they make it to our fridges, their contribution has been made and is what it is. Again, I could be totally wrong on that, but that's my understanding of it. If I am wrong, I would be interested in hearing what the actual deal is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:26 am 

If you're interested in vintage beers, check out this recent book by Patrick Dawson:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Beer-Tast ... ntage+beer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:49 pm 

Next week brings over 10,000 craft beer professionals to Portland for the Craft Brewers Conference and the city is brewing with excitement...what is shaping up to be one of the most important weeks in Oregon Craft Beer History.

Anybody here coming to P-town for this? I just caught the above blurb yesterday, tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 am 

I don't know if you're still drinking beer, Liberty, but you'll see a lot of great beer you don't normally get the chance to sample. For me, the best part was meeting brewers from around the world and sampling their beer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am 

Heh. Oh, i still drink beer. Normally always working on a 6 pack and have a few bombers and/or dinner bottles in the cellar. Nothing like i used to. Beer makes you fat. I got tired of being fat and bloated.

I don't brew or even want to, so meeting brewers holds little interest. I'm not even fan boy enough about it to want to say "I love your beer, dood!"

Just thought i'd ask. Looks like no one here is making the trip. Honestly, i wouldn't bother either. "Beer Culture" lost it's thing for me years ago. I'm more of a coffee snob now, tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:48 pm 

Well, there's still room for you to try some great beer without much travel.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 66 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 73  Next