Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:52 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
A.C.E. wrote:
Last weekend I tried the Indra Kunindra. A Curry Stout made for Ballast Point.
With Curry, toasted coconut, chilis, and kaffir lime.

How was that Curry Stout? Sounds interesting, but could be a fail.

it's....interesting.
Dude working the bar tells customers he has "The Most Interesting Beer in the World."
It actually tastes exactly like it sounds, an average stout with a lot of cayenne pepper and curry, hint of coconut.
I had some and went home and told my wife what I had just had and describing it to her I was realizing that obviously I enjoyed it. Perhaps just for it's novelty?
She was then intrigued. I realized it was hard for me to adequately describe and since BP is only a couple miles away, we jumped back in the car so she could try it.
We bought a couple bottles and are thinking about making an Indian Meal to accompany them.
The dude who brewed it won a contest, and now BP hired him, so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 pm 

http://www.3floyds.com/2011/10/26/melvins/

For you lucky bastards who live in the Chicago area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am 

A.C.E. wrote:
spiritualleader wrote:
A.C.E. wrote:
Last weekend I tried the Indra Kunindra. A Curry Stout made for Ballast Point.
With Curry, toasted coconut, chilis, and kaffir lime.

How was that Curry Stout? Sounds interesting, but could be a fail.

it's....interesting.
Dude working the bar tells customers he has "The Most Interesting Beer in the World."
It actually tastes exactly like it sounds, an average stout with a lot of cayenne pepper and curry, hint of coconut.
I had some and went home and told my wife what I had just had and describing it to her I was realizing that obviously I enjoyed it. Perhaps just for it's novelty?
She was then intrigued. I realized it was hard for me to adequately describe and since BP is only a couple miles away, we jumped back in the car so she could try it.
We bought a couple bottles and are thinking about making an Indian Meal to accompany them.
The dude who brewed it won a contest, and now BP hired him, so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

Not sure about that one. One of the guys on the homebrew forum I hang around did a curry porter called HeatSikher and actually got it on tap at his local brewpub after winning a comp. Not sold on it at all. Mind you, I haven't tasted it. I'm planning a couple of "odd" brews myself later, probably a smoked rosemary porter and a traditional "cock" ale with a boiled chicken carcass in the fermenter. I've had a cock ale before, from a recipe dating back to 1670. Doesn't taste like chicken at all! Kind of freaks people out when you tell them the recipe though.

Tasted the IPA tonight. Still a nice red colour, though very dark for an IPA. Totally not hoppy and not really an IPA (or not really an American IPA, which is the style I was shooting for) but has plenty of bitter hops. The first thing that hits your nose is the malt. I'll double up the 5 min addition hops and add at flame out and probably double the dry hopped Riwaka at risk of intorducing grassy/vegetal flavours (Riwaka is D Saaz, so not very high alpha)

I guess calling it an Imperial Red Ale is pretty much spot on!

Pretty impressed for my first all grain brew though. Calculates from the refractometer and hydrometer readings to be 6.8% ABV.

Pretty clear, hey? Thought this would be way cloudier given that I made my hop blocker way too fine and it blocked up completely and had to double glove my hand and rip it off to get a flow through the chiller!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:53 am 

Looks tasty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58 am 

NCR600 wrote:
Tasted the IPA tonight. Still a nice red colour, though very dark for an IPA. Totally not hoppy and not really an IPA (or not really an American IPA, which is the style I was shooting for) but has plenty of bitter hops. The first thing that hits your nose is the malt. I'll double up the 5 min addition hops and add at flame out and probably double the dry hopped Riwaka at risk of intorducing grassy/vegetal flavours (Riwaka is D Saaz, so not very high alpha)

I guess calling it an Imperial Red Ale is pretty much spot on!

Pretty impressed for my first all grain brew though. Calculates from the refractometer and hydrometer readings to be 6.8% ABV.

Pretty clear, hey? Thought this would be way cloudier given that I made my hop blocker way too fine and it blocked up completely and had to double glove my hand and rip it off to get a flow through the chiller!

Sounds like you have a nice Imp. Red. Color looks nice.
For an IPA, like you said, add more dry hops or very late hops. Also, get rid of the Black malt and bump up the pale to compensate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Admin

That rules. I'd drink some. Always was fascinated with the idea of brewing my own and experimenting with different flavor combinations and brews, but to date haven't been able to get off my ass and make it happen. Kudos. That looks delicious and I'm a fan of Imperial Reds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 pm 

DUDE
MAN
NEVER MIND THE FUCKING BEER
ARE THOSE SHOTS FROM YOUR HOME?
THAT IS ONE HELL OF A VIEW YOU GOT RIGHT THERE

(ALSO, YOUR BEER LOOKS DELICIOUS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm 

Drinking that Maple Autumn tonight.

Kind of a let down...way too boozy not enough anything else. I get some faint yams and its sweet, but what is creating that sweetness my palate can't quite distinguish, in the background towards the end, but the alcohol seems to be dominating. Reading the reviews at BA makes does not match my experience at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:37 pm 

Two Stone IPA's tonight, so glad I tried their beers recently. Their brand is pretty much all I need to get my ale on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 am 

BillsBrother wrote:
DUDE
MAN
NEVER MIND THE FUCKING BEER
ARE THOSE SHOTS FROM YOUR HOME?
THAT IS ONE HELL OF A VIEW YOU GOT RIGHT THERE

(ALSO, YOUR BEER LOOKS DELICIOUS)

Yep, the view from my rented, tiny 2 bedder. I sometimes see whales from there, and it's nice to sit there drinking beer! YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME DOWN ANYTIME AND SHARE ONE WITH ME!

Spiritu, I like the way the Black Malt knocks back the sweetness of the crystal. I've just brewed another exactly the same but with more hops. I'll see how that goes, and if the hop profile is to my liking, I'll start fiddling with the malts. Maybe use a mix of Pale and Maris Otter Malts. I've got a single malt/single hop Maris Otter/Nelson Sauvin Golden Ale up for bottling next week. Doing a lot of experimenting with my rig and system to get things dialled in and consistant before it gets too hot!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:05 am 

Now drinking:
Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett Orange
Part of the glass broke off the top when I opened it so I had to pour it through a strainer lined with a paper towel. Fuck.
I've had it before but I was kinda bummed that happened.

Nice, subtle Brett character with some tasty orange flavor from the tangelos. Not very acidic or tart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 am 

Dove into my cellar last night to drink some beer with local beer peeps and a couple of chefs.

Liefmann's Goudenband - both before the brewery closed and after it was bought by Duvel and reopened. The old one tasted like sliced apples and was awesome. The newer one tasted a little bit like cherries and was a nice Flemish Red-style beer.

Pierre Celis Grottenbier Blonde - this beer hasn't been made for at least five years and will not be made again. Still killer.

2008 Palo Santo - the cheery/wood sweetness has dissipated, but still a very nice beer. I'd recommend aging for two years rather than three.

Avery Brabant - the first of their barrel-aged beers. Probably four years old and I've let it go too long. Not bad, but it's lost something.

Short's Captain Fantasy and A Le Reverend - the Fantasy was okay. Brewed with Half Acre in Chicago. Nice, but unremarkable beer. The Rev is a session IPA. Very good and very hoppy. About 3.5% ABV.

Short's Black Cherry Porter - brewed in 2006 and still killer. Such a rich, lovely, great beer.

Bell's/De Proef Van Twee - sour cherry porter/dubbel. Finished with Brett and bottle conditioned with Michigan sugar beet sugar. Developing nicely and becoming more sour. Tasted a bit like Odell's Sabatour when it first came out, but it's changing.

Unibroue Quelque Chose 2002 - fucking awesome. Like mulled wine. We all wanted more.

Bell's 1997 Brewer's Reserve Eccentric Ale - I originally bought a six-pack of this and this was my last bottle. Waited too long. I meant to have it sooner, but kept forgetting about it. It still smelled great, but it had lost a lot of body and flavor. Formerly a great beer.

Short's Imperial Carob Stout - also brewed in 2006 and still holding up very nicely. Great beer with lots of depth and flavor.

Mayhem from Khuenann Brewing in Michigan - a giant of a beer (probably around 16%) that tastes like 9% and a wee heavy or an english-style barleywine, maybe. Tasty.

We also had the '09 and '10 Cascade Apricot Sours. Both were great. We all kind of preferred the older one, but both were very good.

Yum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm 

When I went down to the brewery to pick up wedding beer I saw them bottling the Bristol Beer Factory Vintage 2011.

Saw the first bottles on the shelf today...

The label says it's to celebrate the 1000th brew, 5 malts, 4 hops, and oak aged (not sure how long though to be honest) with 3 mashes.

They reckon you can drink fresh or cellar, might get another one to put away for a while just to test out this whole 'not drinking beer immediately' thing.

From a fresh bottle it's pretty full and complex, not unlike the Brakspear Triple that I love so much, just not quite so toffee/caramel-y.

Goes well with zombie films and the smell of baking bread.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:52 am 

dutch gus wrote:
When I went down to the brewery to pick up wedding beer

You're getting married and you give a shit about the beer served at the reception? Good stuff, you are a man after my own heart! Makes a change from serving one pisswater lager and another reduced alcohol pisswater lager that seems to be the norm for functions out here.

Tonight I'm drinking Little Creature's Big Dipper DIPA. It's got a bunch of C-Hops to 55 IBU's , but is totally not a IIPA. It's 7.8% ABV, so I'm a bit pissed off it, but it is not hoppy enough to be a true IIPA. One of the brewers actually came on the brewing forum I frequent to defend it and admitted getting the hop utilisation wrong at high gravity. I'm quite pleased with this, because pro brewers can make the same mistakes I do with my own brews!

They've brewed a dangerously sessionable, but quite standard USIPA. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's very drinkable, bit the high alcohol and relatively low bitterness makes it easy to over-extend yourself on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 pm 

Heh cheers. Got married a few weeks ago actually, couldn't offer quite as interesting a pairing as I'd hoped - turned out they couldn't box the American style IPA so had to take a UK golden to go with the bitter. The bitter was really good as it happened, have been underwhelmed by a pint of it in the pub but fresh it was much more tasty.

Mostly relied on people bringing stuff (mostly standard tins of lager from the offy) but thought I had to provide at least some good stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

dutch gus wrote:
Heh cheers. Got married a few weeks ago actually, couldn't offer quite as interesting a pairing as I'd hoped - turned out they couldn't box the American style IPA so had to take a UK golden to go with the bitter. The bitter was really good as it happened, have been underwhelmed by a pint of it in the pub but fresh it was much more tasty.

Mostly relied on people bringing stuff (mostly standard tins of lager from the offy) but thought I had to provide at least some good stuff!

The bitter was very tasty, shame some idiot spilt it all over the floor.

Forum beer thread might come in handy for keg choice at my wedding, currently thinking

Bath Ales - Barnstormer (chocolatey dark bitter)
Timothy Taylor's Landlord - (Yorkshire light bitter. A session drink, hoppy)
Caledonian Brewery Deuchar's IPA - (amber IPA, dry and refreshing)
The Porterhouse Brewing Company - Plain Porter (the Dublin porter the world should drink, bitter, creamy, thick)

And some fizzy euro pop (probably Kronenbourg 1664 or Grolsch)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:17 pm 

And maybe something golden- but those who like golden/summer ales will probably get on fine with the Deuchars.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:29 pm 

Yep the Deuchars is lush.
Haven't had a Landlord in ages cos they're always so pricey in the shops!

Another one that might be worth investigating is Ilkley, it's not Cumbria but Yorkshire int that far off.

Yum yum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:35 pm 

Yeah, Landlord is as much in the bottle as in the pub....

You should head up to the Croft and see if they're still doing the rare hare
http://www.bathales.com/our-ales/aid/rare-hare/

Very nice strong bitter, goes especially well with cheese, smoked meats and crushing doom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 pm 

dutch gus wrote:

Another one that might be worth investigating is Ilkley, it's not Cumbria but Yorkshire int that far off.

Yum yum.

And when investigating means having a beer you're on to a winner. The beer won't be local, going for my favourites rather than nearby. Local would have to be Coniston or Hawkshead breweries, neither of which have proved very helpful. Local food, tasty beer will work!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:20 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
I just finished this sign for Deschutes. It's a one-off sign and is meant to evoke an old travel poster. It's loosely based on the Mirror Pond labels (both the regular one and the forthcoming Fresh Hop one).
Oh, it's all hand-painted.

I'm glad you looked at those Bob Ross dvd's I sent you.

*ducks*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:45 pm 

Had some Black Tuesday the other day when I went to pick up my bottles at Bruery Provisions. Delicious. 18.2%
Spent the last week and a half in Hawaii. Bought and drank a few bottles of Cantillon Kriek. Also delicious. Stoked to find it on shelves. Hard to find here in SD.
We visited Maui Brewing Co. and had The Imperial Version of their CoCoNut Porter and KGB.
Also hit Kona Brew Pub and had some KoKo Brown.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:12 pm 

cayenne pepper and curry, hint of coconut

That's how I like my curries, but I don't know if it would compliment a curry.

My latest 'tries': 3 barmen of the American Beer bar in Amsterdam (BeerTemple) started a 'kitchen brewery' not too long ago. Last week at Halloween they presented two pumpkin ales: one 'tropical cocktail' with coconut, very nice, coconut being very subtle, the other a 'hot and naughty' with Scotch bonnet, ginger, roasted almonds and I think they roasted some cloves with the pumpkin. Very spicy (2 Scotch bonnet peppers on a 18 liter brew, which is.... 5 gallons, as they thought 1 pepper wasn't spicy enough) very VERY tasty. 2 winners.

Since I'm a loyal patron to their bar and talked about their brewing with them before, they also let me taste their porter and their saison. Porter's very good too, I'm not a fan of Saisons, I guess.

Since it was very crowded that evening, and they wanted as many people to try their beer as possible we only got a tiny little tasting glass. The first one I had after that was 'Texas Ranger', a smoked porter with chili pepper, very nice too. Don't know who brews it.

Just now: Emelisse TIPA (triple IPA), 10% ABV and 103 IBU. Lovely.

Marc, buy a lot of Great Divides at Bierwinkel. They will stop exporting soon, apparently because they can't meet the demand in the States with their current production capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 am 

Shaytan,

Thanks for the Bob Ross DVDs! I couldn't have done it without you!

Come to Denver and we can walk to Great Divide from my place. Killer beer, as you know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:34 pm 

Alesmith:Barrel-Aged Speedway Stout, on tap for San Diego Beer Week at Tap Room in PB.
indescribably Delicious.
Chocolaty, Bourbony, Coffee-y.
12.6%
Tasty.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 73  Next