Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:24 am 

dickens wrote:
Thanks for the link! That guy made it look easy...which means maybe next week or so I will give it a shot that way.

Whats funny is that whenever I think of brewing beer in Oz, I just picture Chopper Read in a chef hat. Pretty awesome. Haha

I'd add those hops slowly.. Good luck with the IPA!

Yeah, making beer should be easy. All you need is sugar (generally from barley, wheat or rye), flavour (generally from hops) and yeast. All the other shit is just to make the process easier. I think Chopper would just buy his from a shop though!

Had a prick of a brew day yesterday, tried a few new things and had a bastard of a time dealing with nearly a pound of hops in the boil. I was a bit pissed off until I realised I'd get 20 litres of beer out of it, better or worse!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:14 pm 

1lb of hops for one batch???

I tried my Hefe wort today, took the gravity to double check on fermentation. Comes out to only 4% alcohol at the moment..which i'll need to tweak next time. No use drinking a beer you can't even get drunk on. It tasted good though, I just feel like i'm turning into a total ponce. haha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm 

http://www.olesmokymoonshine.com/where/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 pm 

dickens wrote:

I tried my Hefe wort today, took the gravity to double check on fermentation. Comes out to only 4% alcohol at the moment..which i'll need to tweak next time. No use drinking a beer you can't even get drunk on. It tasted good though, I just feel like i'm turning into a total ponce. haha

If it's not bottled:
put some/all in the freezer and wait for it to begin to freeze (that'll be the water freezing, since alcohol freezes at a lower temp.), pour through a strainer and recheck the gravity. It'll be stronger. Basically, a poorman's distillery. It's how eisbock is made and those giant Sink The Bismark!-style beers from Brew Dog in Scotland.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm 

Recently checked the newly introduced Spring Seasonal, Dig, from New Belgium out and got to admit I really like it a lot. Was hoping to pick up another sixer of that Deschutes Red Chair but the store didn't have it so I went for the Dig instead. Honestly, I have no idea why I went for it as I do not like any standard 6 pack releases from New Belgium but really gad that I did, as I am enjoying this one a heck of a lot. I definitely like some fruitiness and/or a nice malt backbone to provide some sweetness to my pale ales and both this and the Red Chair do meet that need, though in their own ways.

Last edited by Adam on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 am 

dickens wrote:

Yeah, I want something with bulk aroma, you bitter as normal @60 min, then throw a bunch of hops into the boil with 5 minutes to go. I'm using some old NZ Motueka which is only 4.5% AA, so you need alot to get some flavour!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:58 am 

Does New Belgium Brewery make any beer that isn't awesome? Tonight it's Belgo IPA. It sure is yummy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:31 am 

Neighbor664 wrote:
Does New Belgium Brewery make any beer that isn't awesome? Tonight it's Belgo IPA. It sure is yummy!

Well, some of it is, uhhhh, unchallenging.
They do make a lot of great beer, though. Their Lips Of Faith series is a winner. I like their latest one Cocoa Mole. I've been mixing it with Young's Double Chocolate Stout and that's really awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 am 

I don't recall seeing either Lips Of Faith or Cocoa Mole out here. But then again, you are closer to the source.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am 

I am not trying to hate on NB, just my personal opinion (which I am sure many here often disagree with), but I generally don't care for New belgium's 6 pack offerings. I haven't had them all (like that Belgo IPA or Ranger) but of what I have tried I have never walked away from being impressed with. The best I could say about some of the beers was that the beer was fair (Tripel, Frambozeen). But this DIG changes all that for me, I am a big fan of this one. Interesting thing about this is that while I am not a fan of Fat Tire it does seem like the caramel malt base to this is taken from the Fat Tire recipe. Had I known that before trying this I probably wouldn't have bought it. Glad I didn't know that because I think it works really well.

Only Lips of Faith I have had from New Belgium is La Folie but that is one of my absolute favorite beers. If only it was even somewhat affordable that would be a staple in my fridge during its period of release.

I have generally never been a fan of buying bombers which is why I haven't delved further into their Lips of Faith series. I do want to check out La Terror but have not seen that on the shelves in a couple years. I've also wanted to check out that Kick, Clutch, the prickly pear saison they did, amongst a few others but never did because of not being a fan of the format.

I do buy 22 oz'ers every once in a while but generally do so for brewers that only sell in that formal (Funkwerks, Crooked Stave, Dry Dock, etc), that way I can check a new brewery out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:40 pm 

Neighbor664 wrote:
I don't recall seeing either Lips Of Faith or Cocoa Mole out here. But then again, you are closer to the source.

Neighbor,
Lips Of Faith is a series of beers from New Belgium. It originally started by having an employee win an in-house contest; the prize being they could suggest a recipe for a beer. It seems that now they put out 3-4 LofF beers each year.

Adam,
Since you like La Folie, I bet you'll like La Terroir too. Less acidic and more tart than La Folie, but a very good sour. You should give more of the LofF beers a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 pm 

NB, like Boston Beer Co, tends play it safe with their mass produced fare, and their seasonal stuff can be hit or miss. That said, I've really liked the Lips of Faith series (just like I like Boston Beer Co's Imperial series).

The Lips of Faith stuff is only available in bombers. If your local liquor store doesn't stock craft beers try BevMo or Whole Foods (or Bristol Farms if there's one near you). Or look for a decent bottle shop.

Oh, and the Lips of Faith silk-screened bottles are fantastic.

Post subject: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:06 pm 

is it hard to say Sam Adams?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:44 pm 

To whom?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 pm 

MILLION MAN wrote:
To whom?

isn't the Boston brewery Sam Adams? I've only heard people talk about the sam Adams imperial

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm 

Maybe they found Boston Beer Company difficult to say.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm 

I'm asking. I'm not telling. Sorry if it sorry if I'm coming across the wrong way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:19 pm 

Boston Beer Company makes Sam Adams beers, and yeah pretty much all of their labels bear the Sam Adams name, so it's basically the same thing. I mean the brewery is Boston Beer Co, but it's a branding thing. Like New Belgium putting the Fat Tire bike on their logo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm 

Ok thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:25 pm 

Bottled today, can't wait for the weekend. We're putting the "MAN" back in wheat beer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm 

Tell me about this Cocoa Mole.

I've never had a chile beer and, to be honest, I am more curious about it than anything else. Pepper just seems like an odd flavor to get from a beer. But it's also not a flavor that I would be opposed to either and it seems like it works pretty well so there is a level of intrigue there. I am also no spice head so not looking for any challenges in that area; I enjoy spice for the flavor and am fine with a little heat but not too much. Like I can't use Sriracha like its ketchup, I tend to much more conservative in my usage of it.

This is definitely a situation where the bomber would probably hold me back from trying it. I am curious about it and if it was available in the 12 oz bottle and I could include in a make my own 6 pack, I would definitely have tried it by now. But I assume these things go for around $8-9 dollars as a 22 oz, which makes me far less inclined to take a chance on it. For that cost, I'd rather go safer and pick up something from Funkwerks that is priced the same and a style I am more familiar with and have a better idea of what to expect from it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm 

Generally, chile beer is stupid - when it's done in the bet-you-can't-handle-this-heat manner. Keep the heat in the food and leave my beer the fuck alone. I love hot food and eat habañeros pretty much every day. But really spicy beer is just plain dumb.

However, there are some breweries that are starting to use chiles as an accent and it's working very well. The latest edition of the Left Hand Fade To Black series is a rich porter with chile peppers and it's great. The heat is there, but it's more in the background.

Black Fox (one of the brewers at Bristol in the Springs is brewing under this name there) made Noche Del Diablo, which was wonderful. A dark beer aged on cherries and chocolate with cayenne. The cayenne was probably the fifth thing you tasted/noticed in the beer. Excellent.

The Cocoa Mole has the heat turned up just a little bit from those last two, but it's still in the appropriate/accent range. The body comes across as an amber/brown ale, but the spicing (cinnamon, clove?) with the heat totally changes what you taste. I really liked it.
We have it on tap, so come on down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm 

I've actually tried that Left Hand Peppered Porter. I actually just thought it was ground pepper, I didn't get any heat from it really. Thought the porter itself was really good but that prickly pepper at the end just didn't work for me, personally.

If I make it down to Falling Rock I'd check it out but I'd have to say I am now even less inclined to buy a bomber now that I have something to compare it to (kind of).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am 

Adam wrote:
I've actually tried that Left Hand Peppered Porter. I actually just thought it was ground pepper, I didn't get any heat from it really. Thought the porter itself was really good but that prickly pepper at the end just didn't work for me, personally.

If I make it down to Falling Rock I'd check it out but I'd have to say I am now even less inclined to buy a bomber now that I have something to compare it to (kind of).

It's different from the Fade To Black 'cause it's spiced too, like mole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:24 am 

After my Christmas Pudding Spiced Porter, I'm a bit put off weird additions to beer. I've had some Chile beers in the past and thought they were fucking stupit. Was planning a Rosemary Smoked porter at some point, but after my latest try, I think I'll leave that one alone. Less is definately more when it comes to that sort of thing.

Anyways, I tried a fermenter sample of the IPA tonight, and it's alright, although looks a bit lighter than I wanted, and tastes a bit grassy from the bulk hops. I think I'll rack it off the trub this weekend and get it into a secondary fermenter for a week or so before I decide on dry hop additions. It's plenty hoppy as it is, so may have to cut back on the planned dry hop additions.

Going to take a detour on the way home from work tomorrow afternoon and swing by a beer shop that actually has a decent range of interesting local and imported beers. Anyone want to give me a few names to look for so I don't have to make a decision for myself? If I can find some Green Flash beers there, I'll grab what I can, but I'm open to anything else.

Cheers, Beerdoes!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 73  Next