Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 94 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comics
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am 

Wallace gots mebbe 500 in the garage.

Never look at them.

Kid stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 am 

Fuck off back to your self-indulgent wasteland of a forum, you twat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm 

The reason Batman Incorporated seems to be coming out so slowly is because issue 3 was delayed a month due to the TDKR shooting in Aurora. I thought the delay wasn't necessary after reading the book, but whatever. It's back to its normal monthly schedule now though. Issue 4 was a great read.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:19 pm 

Buddy of mine pointed this out to me. I thought it was fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 am 

Crotch:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 am 

So, colored preview pages for Avengers demonstrate that there is Jerome Opena, and then there's everyone else.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 am 

Just finished the 4 volumes of "Alias" from Marvel. Pretty good. Not at all the best thing I've ever read, but fun storyline that goes into the (never short supply) of B and C list superheroes and the frustrations that come with being one. Overall well done.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 am 

I'm almost finished with Red Son now. Thanks for the recommendation(s)! This book is fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 am 

Read the current Invincible Iron Man run and it's good up untill it moves to issue 500 and on, then all the things that annoy me in super hero books start popping up again. *sigh

Gonna start on Wildstorm's DV8 this weekend. I figure if I can get into a Wildstorm super hero book then there's still hope for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 am 

Bullio wrote:

So what is that people hate so much about the 90's stuff? Is it a single element that I'm missing, or a combination of things about the titles, or was it something about the industry as a whole at the time?

From my perspective, the stories took a back seat to the art. It seemed like the characters were drawn all out of proportion, the guns and muscles kept getting bigger, the art got too busy and complicated, and everything just got cranked up to 11. I also think the market was flooded with too many titles, too many "special" editions and goofy gimicks, which again, caused the stories to suffer. To say nothing of the fact that it was too expensive to buy all the titles and stuff. But I grew up reading the Silver Age Marvel and DC, simpler times, simpler stories, simper art. Still think it's heads and shoulders above anything since, with a few exceptions.

I haven't really paid much attention to comics for the last couple of years, but I keep hearing good and bad things, but it hasn't made me want to jump back into it. The new Spiderman is not Peter Parker? WTF?

Really like the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes show. And the SuperHero Squad has it's moments too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am 

lftwng4 wrote:

From my perspective, the stories took a back seat to the art.

Totally. The Peter David Hulk run was great because David's stories were great, not because Dale Keown was drawing it. Ditto with his run on the re-vamped X-Factor. The Stroman art was good, but totally took a back seat to David's wild rides, even though Stroman was getting top billing on the book. Fabien Nicienza was the worst X-Men writer ever & the Thibert brothers were the worst artists, but Marvel would pump them up every month. Every face, & I mean absolutely every face they drew, looked the same. They had different color hair & different color suits so you could tell who was who. Image was an absolute sham.

I supposed I couldn't summed all of that up by saying "Image." What a deep dish pile of shit that was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 pm 

Points taken, and I suppose I'd largely agree. The speculator market definitely was not a good thing for the medium. I grew up in it, so stuff like the foil covers and trading card pack-ins don't bother me, and it's not like the practice isn't continued to some degree today with limited availability variant covers. But I also only ever bought X-Men books. If I had bought all 3-5 that were on sale at once (depending on when we're talking about), the multiple Spider-Man books, title wide crossovers, special covers, and mini series, I wouldn't have fond memories of the period either. And the art, I can definitely see and understand that. It seems like once Lee got on board full time with UXM that the scale and size of the art became more pronounced, and its something that never went away throughout the 90s. But Lee's and the Kuberts' art is what I grew up with, so for better or worse those are my reference points for X-Men, and comic, art. Liefeld can eat a bag of shit covered dicks for the art he inflicted, and continues to inflict, though.

I guess the 90's marketing ploys and stylistic choices worked on me as I liked it growing up, but I also never really read the books I bought. I bought them for the art and for the neat looking covers. But even if I had read them, I'm not sure the quality of the writing and stories would have kept me away either. Maybe it's fair to say the industry (or at least Marvel) was still targeted primarily at children at the time, and not the children of the previous decade or two that were growing up or had already grown up.

As for Spider-Man, the Ultimate universe Spider-Man is now of African American and Latino descent. The 616 universe, or "normal" Spider-Man, has been Peter Parker for quite some time now; I think since the disaster that was the Clone Saga.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 am 

So Hellblazer is ending with #300 in February. Instead DC will be adding a new Constantine book to the New 52.

This kinda sucks, but I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the decline in quality of Vertigo books over the years. I wonder what the imprint will be like without its "founding member", though it probably won't change much in the grand scheme and I'm just being melodramatic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 am 

The first issue of Gaiman's new Sandman prelude series, Sandman: Overture, is out today. The $5 price tag is kind of nuts, but it's Gaiman writing Sandman again accompanied by some ridiculous JH Williams III art.

For those of you digitally inclined, and for some reason haven't read Gaiman's original series, comiXology is also running a .99/issue sale (so $75 for the whole caboodle).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:50 am 

For those of you digitally and criminally inclined:

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8734008/The_Sandman_Collection

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 am 

Comic books are the only things i still have from when i was 8-10 years old.
Cool thread. If i ever decide to get back into comics, i have alot of leads now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 pm 

Just got a whole mess of the New 52. The biggest surprises for me are Animal Man, All-Star Western, and Batman and Robin.

On it's surface, the idea that Bruce Wayne's son is now Robin sounds kind of dumb, but I actually like Damien and the conflict between the two. It's a nice metaphor for how I felt about the whole DC relaunch with the New 52. It was too easy to dismiss with a cynical "here-we-go-again-DC," but once I've actually taken the time to see what they're trying to do it's actually pretty cool. Thanks to this thread for encouraging me.

Blue Beetle is another title I'm enjoying.

I'll have to jump into the new Sandman eventually. It sounds pretty promising. Is that Before Watchman any good?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

rafael grampa's Mesmo Delivery is completely out of control. every one of you should dig it.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/16-663?page=0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Just got a whole mess of the New 52. The biggest surprises for me are Animal Man, All-Star Western, and Batman and Robin.

On it's surface, the idea that Bruce Wayne's son is now Robin sounds kind of dumb, but I actually like Damien and the conflict between the two. It's a nice metaphor for how I felt about the whole DC relaunch with the New 52. It was too easy to dismiss with a cynical "here-we-go-again-DC," but once I've actually taken the time to see what they're trying to do it's actually pretty cool. Thanks to this thread for encouraging me.

Blue Beetle is another title I'm enjoying.

I'll have to jump into the new Sandman eventually. It sounds pretty promising. Is that Before Watchman any good?

If you like Damian, you need to read Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Robin (which is pre-New 52 and sort of right in the middle of Morrison's story). Dick and Damian really were the best. But really, all of Morrison's 7 year run on Batman is worth reading. He did some cool stuff with him, and I'm really going to miss him writing it. Start with Batman and Son (Batman #655-658) and go from there. I knew about Damian before I started reading it and thought the idea of Bruce having a son was incredibly stupid, but Morrison completely sold me on the idea by the end of that story.

And if you like Dick as Batman, Scott Snyder's Black Mirror is a must. None of Snyder's Batman work since has lived up to that, but I think Zero Year has the most potential thus far to do so.

I haven't read any of them, but reactions to the various Before Watchmen titles seemed to range from "don't bother" to "it's alright."

Sandman: Overture is plenty fine so far. Gaiman hasn't lost the voice or tone of the world after all these years, and Williams's art is incredible. But considering how expensive the singles are, I'd say it might be worth waiting for the inevitable trade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm 

Just got caught up with Chew. Fun book.

Probably get caught up with Saga later tonight. Highly recommend this series, only 14 issues or so at this point, but very cool.

Not sure what I'm gonna delve into next.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:

Probably get caught up with Saga later tonight. Highly recommend this series, only 14 issues or so at this point, but very cool.

Not sure what I'm gonna delve into next.

15, actually. New issue came out today.

I'd recommend The Private Eye, which is also written by Vaughn with Marcos Martin on art and Munsta Vicente doing colors. Digital only, pay-what-you-want per issue via PayPal. So the cost of entry is extremely low. Only 4 issues so far out of a hoped-for 10, with a new issue out roughly every month. http://panelsyndicate.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm 

Bullio wrote:
Mr Neutron wrote:

I'd recommend The Private Eye, which is also written by Vaughn with Marcos Martin on art and Munsta Vicente doing colors. Digital only, pay-what-you-want per issue via PayPal. So the cost of entry is extremely low. Only 4 issues so far out of a hoped-for 10, with a new issue out roughly every month. http://panelsyndicate.com/

wow, great suggestion. i loved the story, the art, the format, and the way it's distributed. that's how i want my comics to be put out in the world. thanks man!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:38 am 

Though I can handle e-books by now I still have to hold comics in my hand. But digital-only Brian K-Vaughn sounds very tempting.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 94 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next