Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 77 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: You're not even into Doom Metal if you're not into this
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:40 pm 

Not slagging on any other labels, they do their thing just fine. I see people mostly talk about bands on the hip labels here, just thought I'd be the first to point it out. Again nothing wrong with that, but it is a fact that rings loudly here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm 

I'm from Denmark and i have given these guys their fair share of plays (we haven't got that many doom bands, so when something pretty good comes out, you really give it a go), but i have never been very impressed - try Moonless. Much better danish stoner/doom http://www.youtube.com/user/666MOONLESS?blend=1&ob=5

So like many others in this thread - i'm probably not into doom.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:55 pm 

Jespermorck wrote:
I'm from Denmark and i have given these guys their fair share of plays (we haven't got that many doom bands, so when something pretty good comes out, you really give it a go), but i have never been very impressed - try Moonless. Much better danish stoner/doom http://www.youtube.com/user/666MOONLESS?blend=1&ob=5

I'm not into Stoner/Doom that much, but they sound ok, just don't like those whiskey/burnt throaty vocals. I like guys that know how to "sing". I say that term loosely because what I think of good vocals is far from what's hailed here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Jespermorck wrote:

I'm not into Stoner/Doom that much, but they sound ok, just don't like those whiskey/burnt throaty vocals. I like guys that know how to "sing". I say that term loosely because what I think of good vocals is far from what's hailed here.

Well - different folks different strokes :D. I appreciate some nice "clean" vocal from time to time. Especially Johan Längqvist from the first Candlemass record or Chritus from Lord Vicar/Saint Vitus. The guy from Altar of Oblivion is good, but i don't think he measures up to the likes of Längqvist or Messiah Marcolin fx.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:37 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Not slagging on any other labels, they do their thing just fine. I see people mostly talk about bands on the hip labels here, just thought I'd be the first to point it out. Again nothing wrong with that, but it is a fact that rings loudly here.

What does what label a band is on matter?

Aside from your personal stake in Shadow Kingdom, it shouldn't matter at all. Whining about the "hip" labels makes you seem petty, and jealous at best.

This all probably could've been avoided if you'd said, "hey check this out, this might be my album of the year" but you went for outrageous, and it kinda backfired.
Lick your wounds, and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:

This all probably could've been avoided if you'd said, "hey check this out, this might be my album of the year" but you went for outrageous, and it kinda backfired.

That's my point, it DOES matter.

If I would have said "hey check this band out", it would have fallen into the abyss like a bunch of other threads.

I'm having more fun with this and I'm not worry about Matt Pike's guitar for the record in case anyone was wondering.

Who want to take a swing at me next?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:11 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Jam8 wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:

I didn't expect anyone here to love this, I would have been surprised if anyone here did though.

Lots of disappointing statements in this thread. Unfortunately coming from the label guy. Making grossly hyperbolic statements are ALWAYS only going to draw out criticisms. And then only to turn around and insult your possible fan base by telling us we're not into Trad Doom, or whatever, just because some don't particularly like this band. Bullshit move.

As a general rule, I think labels (and even someone representing a band) should keep out of discussion forums. It usually doesn't pan out for the label.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 pm 

You're right man. I didn't realize how sensitive the crowd was here.

The title of this thread was a joke to get people talking and questioning what they may or may not like.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

For whatever it's worth, I love traditional doom. I'm something of a neophyte to the genre, but bands like Manilla Road and Pagan Altar are what I'm most interested in these days. I'm sure I'll check out AoO in time.

Last edited by theyeti85 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:

If I would have said "hey check this band out", it would have fallen into the abyss like a bunch of other threads.

When the label that a record comes out on matters more to me than the actual music, I'll find a new hobby. That's venturing into being "hip," and that doesn't appeal to me.

Threads fall into the abyss, that's what happens. Doesn't mean folks don't check 'em out to see if they like what's being pushed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 am 

Meh. Methinks you bit off more than you could chew. And if you insist on being a genre-purist (traditional doom, stoner/doom, bla bla), I have to say considering this is supposedly a doom metal band they don't sound all that doomy to me. Yeah, they're relatively slow and they have the wailing vocals, but other than that they sound like a typical 80's European heavy metal band. Don't know what they look like but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they sported the stretchy striped pants and the poofy hair, if you catch my drift.

I think you're doing your label and your bands a disservice by behaving like this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 am 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Mr Neutron wrote:

I'm having more fun with this and I'm not worry about Matt Pike's guitar for the record in case anyone was wondering.

Who want to take a swing at me next?

I'm pretty sure that I don't know even 1 fuckin' label that any of the bands I generally listen too are even on. But, I'm pretty sure that the "hip labels", as you refer to them, are simply the ones who have the most money to back the bands and genre's which they love and support. As an artist myself I'm pretty sure that in searching out a label you'd probably want to seek out those ones first and as they grow they'll inevitably need to become more selective, so you're only going to get the cream of the crop being added to their rosters.

The people dictate what is hip so don't hate the players, hate the game son.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 am 

While you're at it you could post the same thing here as well. I'm pretty sure it will be appreciated.

Bring on the d0000000m!!! \m/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:

It matters for more reasons that I care to explain.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:01 pm 

frobbert wrote:
I have to say considering this is supposedly a doom metal band they don't sound all that doomy to me. Yeah, they're relatively slow and they have the wailing vocals, but other than that they sound like a typical 80's European heavy metal band. Don't know what they look like but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they sported the stretchy striped pants and the poofy hair, if you catch my drift.

I love opinions like this... wow, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm 

Ichabod wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I don't know even 1 fuckin' label that any of the bands I generally listen too are even on. But, I'm pretty sure that the "hip labels", as you refer to them, are simply the ones who have the most money to back the bands and genre's which they love and support. As an artist myself I'm pretty sure that in searching out a label you'd probably want to seek out those ones first and as they grow they'll inevitably need to become more selective, so you're only going to get the cream of the crop being added to their rosters.

The people dictate what is hip so don't hate the players, hate the game son.

It's actually the opposite in my opinion. People don't dictate much. The big labels control what's being pushed out there for you to know what to like, that's why you don't know what label a band is on. It's easily obtainable music, otherwise you'd have to dig deeper to get your music.

I don't hate anyone. I love you guys for playing here in this thread with me...

Anyway I'll talk to you guys later, if you really care to discuss something more indepth, email me instead (too much insecurity and drama here). This was interesting, but now I have records to put out and bands to focus on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm 

For what it's worth, I love the shit out of Altar of Oblivion and can't wait to get my hands on the new record. They really are a great band, and (in my opinion) a great doom band at that. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a contender for album of the year for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:00 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
I love opinions like this... wow, haha.

That's good. It's good someone at least can see a positive thing in this. Too bad you didn't have the balls to quote the whole thing and respond to that but alas...

I, on the other hand, always tend to get a bit sad when people turn music into a pissing contest.

Why would you even do such a thing? You don't need that. You've got some pretty cool stuff on your label. So why do that for a band that has 'eternal support act' written all over them?

Last edited by frobbert on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 pm 

Shadow Kingdom wrote:

I don't hate anyone. I love you guys for playing here in this thread with me...

Anyway I'll talk to you guys later, if you really care to discuss something more indepth, email me instead (too much insecurity and drama here). This was interesting, but now I have records to put out and bands to focus on.

Yeah, the insecurity and drama are totally THIS place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Yeah, the insecurity and drama are totally THIS place.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm 

that wasn't a slam on the other site. the guy made a statement that was poorly received, then said he was joking, now this place is insecure and drama-filled. Right.

truthfully, i was hoping for "pictures of women that rock" or "dinger-gate" out of this...
need a good meltdown every so often.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm 

The one thing I can take away from all this drama-fueled insecurity (or is it insecurity-fueled drama?) is that Relapse and Rise Above have attained major label status and I need to throw out all the albums I have from them in order to maintain my street cred and free will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
that wasn't a slam on the other site. the guy made a statement that was poorly received, then said he was joking, now this place is insecure and drama-filled. Right.

I posted this exact same topic over here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/phpbb2/viewto ... =14&t=7323

There's a BIG insecure difference between the way you guys took it and how those guys took it. I posted it at the same time (approx).

Relax, it's just music and fun...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm 

You posted the exact same topic on a forum that's dedicated to one kind of music to begin with. Yeah, you made your point ;-p

Speaking for myself, I just love music. That means I love Candlemass and Vitus and John Coltrane and Pink Floyd and AC/DC and Swans and Melvins and what have you all equally. Couldn't give a shit what it's called. Genre tags can be a handy tool for finding new music you like but as far as I'm concerned that's their primary function. Using them to make some kind of point about your genre 'cred' ("if you like this kind of music you have to like this band, or else...!!") is completely missing the point.

Sensitivity and insecurity has nothing to do with it, dearie. Impatience with silly genre purism has. It's supposed to be about the music, not the number of patches on your denim jacket. Now go play with your other tr00 doom metal buddies and come back when you've grown up, child...

And relax, it's just music and fun...;-p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:30 pm 

"ok. Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others." I like big tits! Sorry, I've been drinkin.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 77 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next