Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Who've you seen live the most times?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 pm 

I go to as many shows as I can, but honestly, most of my music money is spent on my cd collection. That said, I've seen 27 shows in my life, with 28, 29, and 30 now on the way.

I've seen Matt Pike 4 times (3 in High On Fire, once with Sleep).
Soon to tie that record is Wino (once in The Hidden Hand, twice in Vitus, and now a solo gig coming up at Vitus)

YOB twice with a Mike solo coming up at Vitus this month, so that's three

Caught Sabbath twice, Naam twice...

Hows about you?

Post subject: Re: Who've you seen live the most times?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 pm 

Local bands?

Probably Black Maria (Albuquerque). Must've seen 'em at least 25 times.

National acts?

Frank Zappa, somewhere between 10 & 15 times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm 

I've been to shitloads of shows locally in the last fifteen years, so any one of the usual Mass and Connecticut suspects I've probably seen five or more times. As far as what's known here... Probably saw Black Pyramid twenty times. Elder five or six times. And there's a host of other local acts that are always on the bill now that it's more deathcore around these parts. And punk bands I saw back in high school, "Any given friday".

National acts, I've seen Meshuggah, High On Fire, Jucifer, and Converge (still Mass) three times each, with dozens more I've seen twice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 pm 

Hmmm... not as many as HH Word.

I wonder how many times I've seen The Brought Low... I think I've seen every NYC show (except one) since early 2000 (plus a bunch of out-of-town shows). They used to play a lot of shows way back when.
Actually, I've seen a bunch of touring bands every time they have played NYC since 2000 (I moved here in Nov '99). Weedeater, ATP, Solace, Earthride, Atomic Bitchwax, HOF (until recenetly, when they started playing shitty venues), can't think- this is hurting my brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 pm 

YOB

For bands that I see only when they tour, Fumanchu and the Black Crowes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 pm 

Quote:
Hmmm... not as many as HH Word.

Ha, yeah, this question makes my brain hurt too.

There are locals that I go to see play most every time, starting with the old SST band Alter Natives who payed with every good underground touring band that came through Virginia in the late 80's, I probably saw them 50-75 times.

During the early 2000's I saw locals Alabama Thunderpussy a lot, maybe 30-40 times. If I include every band I've ever seen Erik Larson in and it's gotta add up to more than 50-60 times seeing him, going to see him in Parasytic tonight.

Cough are my local dudes too, probably seen them like 35 times.

I've seen Wino in some form or another probably 35-40 times.

Somebody asked me recently how many times I'd seen Valkyrie, maybe 25 times.

Weedeater probably 20-25 times, Acid Mothers Temple probably 15 times, High on Fire/Sleep probably 10-15 times. Earthride probably 25 times.

I guess once I like an act I'll keep coming to see it as long as they keep doing it...

SabbathJeff's enthusiasm rules!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:15 pm 

Mudhoney probably 15-20 times
Weedeater, oh, probably 12-15 times. Heck, my band has played with them 6 times.

Not living anywhere near Solace I've managed to see them 8 or 9 times.

There's a lot of bands in the 5-10 times range from Orange Goblin, Nebula, Fu Manchu, Wino's bands...High On Fire probably 10 times, easy.

I used to go to a LOT more shows. Years ago a friend and I probably saw 300+ bands a year for a few years running.

Fun stuff.

EDIT: Shit, the Melvins! God, I've probably seen them 20 times, easy.
Heck, I've seen HailHornet! twice in the last month and they even stayed at my place.
For locals I've probably seen Black Lamb about 35 times, give or take.

Last edited by spiritualleader on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 pm 

Probably a toss up between Candiria who I always caught live during high school and college and High On Fire who I try to always catch post-college.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 pm 

Rwake, by far the most. They're local and for several years they were the local that played with "our" kind of national bands, so I've seen 'em fifty times, plus shows throughout the region, Emissions, etc. They've played regularly (mostly ) since then, too; saw 'em a week or two ago w/ Pallbearer actually..
I guess Weedeater would be next, I've seen them every time they've come here since 2001, except one time when my car took a shit on the way to the gig. I borrowed another car and IT blew up on the way, too, how's that for shitluck? I also saw them three times at Emissions, once in Memphis, once in Nashville...I'll guess it's been 25 or 30 times at this point.
I've seen every local Goatwhore show since 1998 (except the most recent), so fifteen times give or take...
Bands I've seen too many times to remember exact numbers would include Dixie Witch, Stinking Lizaveta, Alabama Thunderpussy, Deadbird, Torche, Black Cobra, Soilent Green, -16-, Fistula, Rue...I've seen Wino in several bands, same with Jimmy Bower.

Bands I've seen more than once would be a colossal paragraph at this point, but HH Word is the show attendance champ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:24 pm 

Gov't Mule.
32 times I think, and only 2 times since 2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 am 

Red Fang, 12 times. They were the major reason I left the house a few years ago. About ten locals later, I've seen Black Cobra, Melvins, and Tweak Bird five times each. Should be more in all cases, I've had a shitty couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 am 

Yeah, this thread is always fun for me to think back on whenever it pops up.

For me, it's definitely YOB. I was in or above the 40 time mark before they disbanded in 2005 and I've seen them five or six times since they came back. I'm probably pushing 50 shows for them. In the higher 40's at least. And yes, it fucking rules to have seen them that much. It is still great.

Witch Mountain is up there too. I was talking to Rob Wrong about this last night. They played EVERY show here in PDX between 1999-2002. I mean all of them. Then they went defunct and have kind of had a couple of reboots, but now they're back playing a lot again. I've seen them easily over 30 times and it's good to have them back firing on all cylinders again.

As far as out of town bands, it is High on Fire, who I've seen around 30 times, give or take two or three shows either direction. If Matt doesn't bring them out on the road in the rest of 2012, it will be the first year I haven't seen him perform since he formed HoF in 1999. I've seen HoF every year since 1999, except a couple years back when he did the SLEEP thing and then I saw him with them instead.

I've seen Neurosis somewhere over 25 times. I used to be able to count them them off when it was around 24-ish shows, back when Emissions was happening, but my memory has disintegrated since that time. That is noteworthy in just that it takes them about five years to play 25 shows alone nowadays.

As far a huge/$$$ bands, I've seen RUSH ten times. They are always fun, but I think I'm good as far as they go. The whole corporate sponsorship/pre-sale thing really turns me off. Their last couple of tours offered presales to Citibank card members before their own fanclub members. When it gets to that point, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that!

And I'm really glad (proud?) to have seen Heaven and Hell four times (all out of town shows) for the three short years they had Ronnie. That was a totally great/worthy reunion for one of the bands that really turned me onto this music. It was like seeing prime-time Priest or Maiden playing all pre-1982 material exclusively. Priest were really disappointing when I saw them in 2005, but it wasn't the case with H&H. I guess Maiden are presently kicking serious ass, but I DID see them back when they were in their prime (1984-1987) and those Maiden shows are much a bigger deal/hassle to deal with than the whole H&H thing was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:40 am 

Besides some outfits that had friends in them (and were only worth watching therefore) I can think of only two bands I've seen around ten times or more:
Therapy? and Hypnos69 I pretty much attend to every gig they play in Belgium.

I've seen Danko Jones quite a few times too but not recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 am 

More than ten: Clutch, Orange Goblin

More than five: Neurosis, Ufommamut, YOB, Slayer, Isis, Church of Misery,

There are loads of local bands that I have seen a lot but they are probably the only foreign/big touring bands I've seen more than a handful of times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 am 

Dozer, Colour Haze, Monkey 3, Fu Manchu are all in the 5 - 6 times range.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 am 

Tia Carrera - 150+ times? Tough to estimate when it's up that high. They definitely win though.
Cruiserweight (you wouldn't like them) - 35-40
The Sword - 20+
tons of other local bands in the 10-20 or higher range (Black Angels, Dixie Witch, Amplified Heat. White Denim, Lions, Spoon, Octopus Project,...)

Brant Bjork around 30 times, if you include Kyuss Lives. Seen him solo 20+ times.
seen QOTSA maybe 10 times
Trying to think of any other non-local bands in the double digits, but I guess I get tired of most bands before that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am 

Local but still national touring bands: Five Horse Johnson and the PB Army, both probably 10-20 times.
Non-local touring bands: Argus, maybe 6 or so times. Seen Earthride, Gates of Slumber, and a few others probably close to 6 times, I dunno, I don't keep track.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 am 

I don't have a habbit of seeing bands live more than once. I've seen Isis twice, Melvins twice and Wolves in the Throne Room three times (though I wish it was twice cuz the last gig sucked balls...the first two were phenomenal). There are some local bands I've seen a lot, but nothing worth mentioning...except Stonebride...they're a croatian band from Zagreb (not my town), and I've seen them 4 times cuz they often play before some big names like Karma to Burn or Kyuss...they're really good live.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am 

I think I've seen local Houston band (about to do their first national tour) Venomous Maximus at least 15 times (and I'll see them again tonight) and that's all in the last 3+ years. I've probably seen their bass player, Trevi, playing with different bands over 20 times. As far as national bands go... It's probably High on Fire. I've definitely seen them over 10 times, probably about 12. Plus I've seen Matt Pike with Sleep as well. I've seen Bobby Liebling live 10 times, 11 if you count the botched Black Cat show in '05. I've seen Dixie Witch probably around 10 times as well. I've probably seen Project Armageddon somewhere around that many times too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am 

This question is way to hard but Clutch is definitely top for me, maybe 40 times?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm 

Meshuggah are from Umea, Sweden.

Edit: Oh, and for me it is probably The Hellacopters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm 

In the "six or seven times" range I'd also add Metallica, Hank III, Clutch, Down, High on Fire, Eyehategod, Epoch of Unlight, Meatjack...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am 

Clutch
Frank Allison
Big Chief
Aquarius Void / Bluesong
White Stripes
Qotsa
Monster Magnet
Rebreather
Type O Negative
Danzig
Ratt

Post subject: Who've you seen live the most times?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 am 

I don't care what any of you say. I've seen tool about 15 times. Although I haven't listened to tool in years and haven't seen them in 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am 

Can't even count the concerts I've been to - average may 4-5 a year (large and small) for the past 25 years. That adds up to probably well over a 100. The band I've seen most - Rush 10 times, about to be 11. I saw Sammy Hagar solo back in the day probably 5 times, I've seen Metallica probably 5 times, and Ozzy solo at least 5 times and once with Sabbath. Several others 2 or 3 - of bands of interest here, The Sword 4 times, Saint Vitus 3 times, Sabbath 3 times (Mob Rules tour, Ozzy reunion in 2000, and as Heaven & Hell same lineup as I saw in 1982). And Dio, solo 3 times and Sabbath/Heaven & Hell twice.

Local bands, I've seen Wo Fat probably 10 times, Kin of Ettins at least 7-8 times.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next