Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 am 

Last: Mono last Wednesday. It was good, but it should have been more dynamic in my opinion. The loud parts were about as loud as the silent parts, except with distortion instead of clean guitar. The first time I saw them this wasn't the case, and it was more impressive to have the difference in volume between the different parts.

Next: Graveyard tonight :D Very much looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am 

/ez wrote:
Last would have been Godspeed You Black Emperor and the next would have been Monster Magnet tonight... if both show hadn't sold out a couple days before the gigs. I don't know what's changed here but a couple years ago neither one of these bands would have filled more than 3/4 of the venue. I guess it's probably a good thing and I just need to get used to organising tickets well in advance.

Hätsch di arsch gestr ins z7 glüpft... AK 45.-

If I were you I would try AK. Usually they should have a small amount of tickets left even if they announce it as sold out. They are legally bound to do so in CH, or at least that's what I thought I heard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 am 

buzzed hermit wrote:
/ez wrote:
Last would have been Godspeed You Black Emperor and the next would have been Monster Magnet tonight... if both show hadn't sold out a couple days before the gigs. I don't know what's changed here but a couple years ago neither one of these bands would have filled more than 3/4 of the venue. I guess it's probably a good thing and I just need to get used to organising tickets well in advance.

Hätsch di arsch gestr ins z7 glüpft... AK 45.-

If I were you I would try AK. Usually they should have a small amount of tickets left even if they announce it as sold out. They are legally bound to do so in CH, or at least that's what I thought I heard.

haha, yeah I couldn't make it out to the Z7 yesterday either. I would try the AK tonight, but to tell you the truth I saw MM not even a year ago and I've seen them 4 or 5 times in the past. Told a buddy we'd go for drinks - let's see if he's up to waiting outside the Plaza to see if there's still tickets.

good to see another Eidgenosse on the board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am 

Unida at the Whiskey.
Fu Manchu at the Detroit Bar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm 

Rush last Wed night at the AAC in Dallas - great show, 11th time to see them. Next show, Dec 8, Wo Fat album release show in Dallas with several great bands (Mothership and Venomous Maximus)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 am 

Last show - Orchid at Desertfest London April 2012 (Another life ago lol...)

Next... Hopefully Dropkick Murphy's here in Stockholm in Jan 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 am 

Last show: Soundgarden at the Fonda on tuesday
Next show: Fu Manchu tonight... and then Fu Manchu, Honky and The Freeks next week

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:41 am 

last : Arctic Sleep & Lybria
next: Neurosis on 12/30 ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 pm 

Last: Black Rainbows

Next: Black Rainbows

Yes, they are that good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm 

Last: Cannibal Corpse, Misery Index, Hour of Penance, Vore...rare death metal show, packed house, bands exceeded my expectations, great night

Next: ???, I can't (don't) do weeknights now, gotta double-check what's upcoming on weekend evenings; there's a couple good things as I recall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm 

LAST- SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE last night doing their electric psych set, it was wailing and highly enjoyable. Ben Chasny complimented my friend's Comets on Fire backpatch, cool dude. Totally glad I made the 100-mile drive on a Monday night to see it.

NEXT- Local instrumental metal band HELLBEAR reunites, playing tonight with touring band PINKISH BLACK, a group mentioned by doomedfuzz in the Quicksand thread as having been paired with YOB on a Dallas/Ft Worth date, so they might be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:23 pm 

Last show was the disastrous Pentagram show..

Next up is Kadavar tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this one - live clips on youtube sounds amazing. Too bad it's a Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm 

Found out my "Next": Pallbearer, Pinkish Black and The Sound of the Mountain this Friday

Rwake is playing w/ Neurosis in Atlanta on the 29th, I'm mildly pondering that one (can't afford it, yet it's an epic bill, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm 

Last: Calexico with my wife a couple of weeks ago.

Next: Dilemma...

Fu Manchu, Honky, the Freeks

or

The Sword and other bands

or

HOF, COC, Goatwhore, et al... (actually there's no dilemma here. I'll be at that one.)

Can't do em all. I think it's gonna be the Fu show this Saturday, skip the Sword, and then HOF later in the month.

Wow. Just typing this out allowed me to nail it down. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 am 

Saw Kadavar last night. It was awesome, but too short.

Tonight I'm seeing Rob Zombie/Marylin Manson. Don't really know what to think about this. A friend of mine won two tickets and a meet n greet with Rob Zombie, and invited me to come along.
I never owned any records by neither of them so I really don't know what to expect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm 

Last night was High on Fire with Lo-Pan and Goatwhore. Definitely the tightest and most relaxed HoF set I've ever seen. It's obvious they've been at this for over a decade, and the set list proved just how many flat out killer songs they've written. I mean, they've never really cranked out a stinker, but they played over an hour of the cherry picked best from their (6 now?) albums. Spec fucking tacular.

Next show I know of would be Tame Impala in February.

edit: Oh, hell yes! Next show will definitely be Clutch, Wino, and Mondo Generator later this month.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm 

Last show High on Fire.

Next show---Monster Magnet playing all of Spine of God. So excited.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:12 am 

The sober High on Fire shows are getting great reviews. They're playing here next SATURDAY (so I will NOT be sober)! Stoked!

Seeing Hot Victory, Helms Alee, Kowloon Walled City and The Body tomorrow in my own hood (like a 10 minute walk) tomorrow/Friday night, so again....stoked!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:53 am 

Last last - Neurosis on Sunday, head all wobbly with native mushrooms, the stark visual presentation appealed to me well although did mean I risked diving inside myself every so often and had to focus during the spacy bits. Didn't seem crushingly heavy but was a very uplifting experience, new stuff is good. Friend and fellow funginaut got turned away at the door (caught with naughty things) and there were some over-excited peeps in front of us who were mildly annoying, but these downers didn't stop me feeling thoroughly satisfied after.

Last - Gonga, Steak, Truckfighters on Wednesday. Gonga still sounding great, could have headlined that line-up really, hope to see more of them - big fat jams of stoner/doom/psych/space goodness. Steak were as I'd been told to expect, a youngish stoner band playing within the genre rules and finding their sound - could get great, could continue to be All Right. Truckfighters did their usual thing, loads of energy, hooks galore.

Went home happy, woke up ill :-(

Next should be tonight - Afrobeat and Latin bands and dancing, but I feel like I may need to eat some codeine soon to take the edge off the cold/flu thing.

Next next should be tomorrow night - local ska and funk bands about 4 minutes walk from the door but thinking I'm probably still ill tomorrow :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 am 

Last: Neurosis. As described by Gus above, minus the fungus. My Heart For Deliverance was quite awesome. Still haven't seen Purify in 7/8 shows. Likely never will. Skipped Godflesh fed up of Justin K clogging up support slots that good bands could be on.

Possible next;

Black Moth @ Black Heart tomorrow night if I can persuade Mrs defyall it is the right call after a dinner party. It is the Truckfighters aftershow party so I imagine there will be some good tunes and good beers. We won;t be far away so it may happen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:27 am 

last: Mark Lanegan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:29 am 

dutch gus wrote:
Last last - Neurosis on Sunday, head all wobbly with native mushrooms, the stark visual presentation appealed to me well although did mean I risked diving inside myself every so often and had to focus during the spacy bits. Didn't seem crushingly heavy but was a very uplifting experience, new stuff is good. Friend and fellow funginaut got turned away at the door (caught with naughty things) and there were some over-excited peeps in front of us who were mildly annoying, but these downers didn't stop me feeling thoroughly satisfied after.

Last - Gonga, Steak, Truckfighters on Wednesday. Gonga still sounding great, could have headlined that line-up really, hope to see more of them - big fat jams of stoner/doom/psych/space goodness. Steak were as I'd been told to expect, a youngish stoner band playing within the genre rules and finding their sound - could get great, could continue to be All Right. Truckfighters did their usual thing, loads of energy, hooks galore.

Went home happy, woke up ill :-(

neurosis on shrooms? man I want to try that....

Next should be tonight - Afrobeat and Latin bands and dancing, but I feel like I may need to eat some codeine soon to take the edge off the cold/flu thing.

Next next should be tomorrow night - local ska and funk bands about 4 minutes walk from the door but thinking I'm probably still ill tomorrow :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:19 am 

buzzed hermit wrote:
Last: Black Rainbows

Next: Black Rainbows

Yes, they are that good.

I amazed the fuck out of all the Black Rainbows guys by doing that (plastic) woodblock with my mouth when I saw them 3-4 years ago.... ;-)

Good band indeed, though I'm not that much into the psych as those Italians are psyched about it.

Last: Fever Machine, Devils at the Crossroad, some other local talent (more metal than stoner), two weeks ago tomorrow.

Next: Amazing Insurance Salesmen tomorrow on Kat's birthday, tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 am 

Whilst I have an ounce of stoner credibility:

Last: Graveyard in Bristol on Sunday.

Next: Truckfighters in Oxford tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 pm 

LAST NIGHT- Rapturous Grief / Olde Shame

TO NIGHT- Negative Plane / Vomitor / Bastard Sapling / Organ Donor

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next