Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 am 

H. H. Word wrote:
TO NIGHT- Negative Plane / Vomitor / Bastard Sapling / Organ Donor

Goddamn,,, how did that one go?

Tonight Helms Alee blew my fucking head off. One of the very best shows I've seen over the last couple of years. I dig their albums, but jesus, that band owns live. Mostly that drummer, who is like the love-child of Cheshire from Stinking Liz and Dave Grohl.

Helms Alee = top knotch band.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm 

Negative Plane was real cool and they should have played last, second best band with a lectern after Kommandant! Vomitor ended up being last since they are from out of the country but to me they had less meaningful impact than the earlier bands on the bill. Apparently they have a dude from Portal as a second guitar now (or just on tour?). So far Organ Donor (new band with Andy and Nick who quit Cannabis Corpse to try something more serious) have played first at the three shows they've done, but turn out to be the best band of the night. Still don't think they have any music out there, but look out.

LAST- Jucifer

NEXT- Pujol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm 

can't embed, here's ORGAN DONOR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyT-wzLgjqY&feature=plcp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:42 pm 

Earthless this Friday!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:04 am 

Last:
Fu Manchu, Honky, The Freeks
Amazing show! Dale Crover was actually playing the set with Honky and then Bob from Fu Manchu was playing with Honky, and during the Fu set, the Honky dudes were playing with Fu Manchu... It was pretty awesome!

Next Shows:
tomorrow: GypsyHawk and The Sword... hate The Sword but a friend got me the ticket so heh!
and then next week: Corrosion of Conformity and High on Fire (there's more bands but i'm working til 10 PM so (luckily) I will be able to catch those two.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:14 pm 

I saw Honky play with Fu Manchu last year in DC and the crowd totally got into Honky during their set and went from silence at the beginning to whoopin' it up at the end, had never seen anything like it considering the usual caliber of DC rock crowds. Honky rules.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 am 

It's been probably six or seven years since I've seen Honky. Always a good time. I have a handbill on my wall for an Altamont/Honky show I saw in 1998 in an abbandoned laudromat space, so it makes sense Dale would fill in with them today.

LAST - Helms Alee, Kowloon Walled City, The Body last Friday

NEXT - SUNN0))), Fontenelle, Loincloth on Friday

NEXT NEXT - HIGH ON FIRE, Goatwhore, Lo Pan on Saturday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 am 

Last: Some good old school death and thrash metal. Morbid Angel and Kreator. Kreator was amazing.

Next: Scott Kelly solo. Hope his acoustic music works live.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am 

Last: Speedfest in Eindhoven: saw Red Fang, Orange Goblin, Graveyard and Monster Magnet.

Crowd was very much into Red Fang and Orange Goblin. Great atmosphere. But the same crowd was too much into Graveyard in my opinion. Mosh pits etc. during the slower songs didn't contribute to me being able to focus on the music like I'd want to. Monster Magnet was good, but not the best I've seen them (I also do not know Spine of God that well, so maybe that didn't help).

Next one: Amenra: release show of the new album, which I like a lot. Scott Kelly will be there as well, and he will play a solo acoustic show, so that should be great as well :) Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm 

Honky rules indeed!

So, as expected, I missed GypsyHawk last night and got to the venue right on time to see The Sword... eh... last time I saw them was when they were touring for their first album, so I guess the lack of material made them play a Pentagram cover of Forever My Queen... the cover was my highlight at the time... Last night I was just plain disappointed with the whole show and extremely surprised with their following: tons of kids really into it, clapping along with a song kind of "into it"...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
NEXT - SUNN0))), Fontenelle, Loincloth on Friday

Please let us know how Loincloth is, although they are (partially) local to me, they have not played a show in the area yet, I won't have a chance to see them until January in Raleigh. They continue the long, grand (?) tradition of Richmond math rock bands going back to the mid-80's. I remember hearing years ago that Anderson offered them $1000 to play a gig with SUNN and Loincloth refused. So now they are finally doing shows... It's too bad legendary guitarist Pen Rollings is no longer involved, but the remaining dudes are real diehards and are extremely dedicated to their sound, they will blow some minds I expect.

LAST NIGHT- Like Nomads, a strange six-man proggy band, pretty intense, wish they had played longer.

TONIGHT- The Catalyst / Burnt Books / Olde Shame

TOMORROW- Monster Magnet / White Hills / Royal Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:02 am 

Soundgardenia wrote:
So, as expected, I missed GypsyHawk last night and got to the venue right on time to see The Sword... eh... last time I saw them was when they were touring for their first album, so I guess the lack of material made them play a Pentagram cover of Forever My Queen... the cover was my highlight at the time... Last night I was just plain disappointed with the whole show and extremely surprised with their following: tons of kids really into it, clapping along with a song kind of "into it"...

Gypsyhawk played a good set. I agree The Sword were disappointing, but not as much as the crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm 

TONIGHT- Monster Magnet / White Hills / Royal Thunder

Next:Graveyard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 pm 

My weekend is looking like Mr Red's except it's Sunn o))), Black Breath, Loincloth on Saturday followed by HOF, Goatwhore, Lo Pan on Sunday. Last show I saw was Moon Duo last Friday, great show. I picked up the vinyl of their newest album for 15$ and am spinning it now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:55 am 

H. H. Word wrote:
Please let us know how Loincloth is, although they are (partially) local to me, they have not played a show in the area yet, I won't have a chance to see them until January in Raleigh.

I ended up pussing out on the show, due to numerous circumstances that night. I saw several friends the next night at High on Fire though who were there, but apparently there was another band on that bill and none of them saw Loincloth (who played first).

So, sorry Steve, I guess you're gonna have to wait until January to see it for yourself. :p

LAST - Aforementioned HIGH ON FIRE show, last Saturday. They owned it. One of the best live metal acts ever. Even Goatwhore was way better than expected (really good). I would have bought the album but their guitarist's rock star diva act doesn't make me want to support that band in any material way on a going forward basis.

NEXT - ??? I'm sure something will pop up. I was fully stoked and ready (to be disappointed) by the Paul Di'Anno show on Friday, but apparently he STILL can't get his USA VISA problems sorted out, so the whole tour was shitcanned until sometime in 2013. Maybe something else will pop up in 2012, but even NYE looks pretty lame. 2013 is promising. It seems like something should pop up between now and then though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply Mr Red. I definitely concur on the praise for High on Fire, band is in top form.

Punk rock this week:

LAST- Kremlin (Toronto) / Manic (Atlanta) / Devil's Hand (Richmond)

NEXT- Recide (TX) / Breakout (TX) / Unholy Thoughts (Richmond) / Olde Shame (Richmond)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 pm 

Booking ticket for HoF's gig here tomorrow, looks like I've missed the boat on Clutch, but there's no way I'm missing High on Fire on a boat.

Given all the recent praise I'm looking forward to it muchly.

Post subject: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm 

I think my last show was High on Fire / COC. Tonight I'm going to see Neurosis again, alas, sans Yob...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 am 

LAST - Aforementioned HIGH ON FIRE show. Smoked!

NEXT - Dabbled with the Neurosis show tomorrow, but I have too much going on right now to gaunt to Seattle for an evening. As I told JxDx, I will totally regret it if they don't end up playing Portland, as I adore the new album.

THE REAL NEXT - dirtclodfight, Bison Bison, Lamprey on Friday. Another lovely show is playing just a little ways away, but this wins out because I haven't checked any of these bands out before (unlike the Ash Street show).

NEXT NEXT - Lord Dying and Diesto at the new (reopening of Plan B) Sizzle Pie venue a week after the dirtclodfight show.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:15 pm 

Last - Truckfighters, Steak, Gonga back on the 5th of December, that's over a month ago! I guess there's less happening over xmarse.
Was a lot of fun, Gonga smashed it again, fat tones, great songs, nice chaps. My friend got totally overenthusiastic about them.
Steak were decent, bit derivative but not excessively, seem like they're still learning about songwriting and delivery a bit.
Truckfighters were a lot of fun, but they make their material go a long way by presenting it well. Far from being the slickest musicians but good entertainers. Quote of the evening (un-named member of support band about Truckfighters): "Yeah well it's not really my thing, massive egos".
Had a good chat with George from Gonga about their fear over not having a singer any more, I think it works well for them, not like they're short of ideas.

Next - looks like The Sword, Lonely Kamel, Gonga on Wednesday. Not that fussed about the Sword (saw them some time back and was almost overwhelmed by mediocrity) but I gather they might be better these days.
LK - no idea, what are they about?
Gonga - on first again, I guess that's what happens when you're the local talent, I'd rather they had a headline set.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:54 pm 

Last was High On Fire and they killed, nice seeing some of the older stuff get played.

Next is Chelsea Wolfe/King Dude and then after that OM.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm 

Next - Saturday - Converge, Pig Destroyer, Tombs
Sunday - Neurosis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm 

LAST NIGHT- Buck Gooter

TONIGHT- maybe RAWG (GWAR unmasked, doing their annual benefit for their late guitarist's family. Suppression also playing)

TOMORROW- Who Killed Spikey Jacket?

DAY AFTER TOMORROW- Guerilla Toss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm 

Next one: Clutch/OG.

What's the consensus on Graveyard's live show?..have heard mixed reviews.

Post subject: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am 

Tonight: Honky, War Beast, Down
Tomorrow: Jessie Deluxe
Next week: Quicksand

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next