Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:28 pm 

LAST NIGHT-

early- Dax Riggs / Mike Cummings (Backwoods Payback) / Matt Conner (RPG) acoustic show
late- Torche / Druglord / Red Money

TONIGHT-

Sinister Haze / Corsair / War Graves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am 

Last night: Cro-Mags

Next Friday: Clutch

Next month: Neurosis/Godspeed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:15 am 

Next - Cosmic Dead and some other kerazy psych in a crypt tonight.

I'm looking forward to the end of April when I can come to this thread to say

Last: http://www.thedesertfest.com/london/ (the Machine, Elder, Dragged into Sunlight, Hey Colossus, War Wolf, Monkey3, Slabdragger, Pombagira, Graves at Sea, Sourvein, Kongh...)

Next: Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 pm 

In the middle of a 10-night show jag (I need sleep...). Saw Pissed Jeans last Friday, Spirit Caravan on Sunday, seeing Loop this Friday and Pentagram on Saturday (first DC show since the Black Cat fiasco of 2005). Last night's show was worth mentioning-

LAST- Satan / Volture / Bat / Salvacion

This show was excellent. Richmond has been getting shows from some historical heavy metal bands due to the local metal afficianado Ryan Waste of Municipal Waste. We've seen Anvil, Raven and now NWOBHM veterans Satan hit the stage at Strange Matter with two of Ryan's bands opening up the bill- Volture and Bat. Bat is a new three-piece with Felix Griffin of D.R.I. on drums doing Motorhead/Venom style blasts. This was their second show, it was kick ass. Griffin is an amazing drummer and Volture/Organ Donor/former Cannabis Corpse guitarist Nick Poulos shredded. Satan was excellent, killing it from the get-go. One of only 6 shows in North America, the crowd was loving it and the band seemed genuinely appreciative of the repsonse. The band consisted of the complete lineup of their 1983 album 'Court in the Act', one could really tell these guys were the real deal. One of the best and most surprising shows so far this year.

NEXT- The Cloth / Failed Mutation / The Cales

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:29 pm 

LAST - QotSA last night. Managed to score a 1st row ticket last weekend. They're pretty slick, but the new stuff really doesn't do it for me anymore. Probably the last time I'll see them (the seventh time). Oliveri came out and sang "Millionaire" with them, so that was kind of cool.

NEXT - GOAT tonight. Looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 am 

LAST - Goat tonight. I guess I fall on the "corny" side as far as these folks go. They had their moments but the vocals are a real deal-breaker for me. Overly amplified caterwauling. Also, after seeing Secret Chiefs 3 and Grails multiple times, the chops of this band aren't really that impressive. They are kind of an out-of-the-box type of thing, but with the chicks and dancing they're obviously striving toward mass appeal. They really need to go one way or another; writing more catchy pop driven stuff or just flat out woodshed and come back in another couple of years. Both scenarios are unlikely as they have quite a bit of buzz about them just doing what they are now.

NEXT - Atriarch is actually playing a monastery here on Sunday. If I don't go to that, it'll be EYEHATEGOD on Thursday for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 am 

Last: The Mountain Goats Tuesday night. One of the greatest shows I've ever witnessed. John played solo. The encore was EPIC. Well...all three encores were epic.

Tonight: The War On Drugs. Their album this year is by far the best thing I've heard so far, so I'm beyond stoked for this one. The little lady and I are making the trip to Boston. Our friends in Sore Eros are opening.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm 

Last Rock Show - August of '12 (Shores at O'Briens in Allston/Boston). No joke
link to this band, for fans of Slint
http://shores.bandcamp.com/track/orion

Next - Failure at The Paradise in Boston June 1st. It's a Sunday, but I fucked up on missing Zombi and Shiner, so I bought 2 tix the min they went on sale. High school move.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 am 

I can't afford shit right now. because my fat paycheck isn't showing up on my bank account yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am 

Last: Dead Meadow

Next: Desertfest London

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm 

Alright, i can finally participate in this thread.

Sunday....Carcass, Gorguts, Black Dahlia Murders and Noisem
Noisem and Carcass rocked. Gorguts were good but set was too short. And i've never heard BDM before this show and hopefully I never will again.

Wednesday....Kadavar and Sons of Huns
Sons of Huns were really good. Kadavar were awesome. I was on the fence about going to this show but glad i did. Kadavar's records are good but live they blew me away.

Next concert, fingers crossed, will be MDF Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:43 pm 

Mega show last night was phenomenal, such great bands showing what they are capable of-

LAST NIGHT- High on Fire / Eyehategod / Corrosion of Conformity / Magrudergrind / Strong Intention / Ilsa

TONIGHT- 2 shows:

Zombie Zombie / Aqua Nebula Oscillator
B L A C K I E / A9Concuss / Mutwawa / Black Hand Path / Nu Depth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:34 am 

That does sound pretty mega.

So here goes my last/next of the year:

LAST - The Earls of Mars/Monkey3/Borracho/Sasquatch/Sixty Watt Shaman/Horisont/the Machine on Friday (ROOOOOOOOCK music)
Wizard Fight/Hey Colossus/Dead Existence/Weedeater (with Wino guest appearance)/Cosmic Dead on Saturday (HEAVY... PSYCH)
War Wolf/Pombagira/Grime/Elder/Church of Misery/Graves at Sea/Grandloom/Boris/Kongh (ARG, more heavy sludge and just about surviving).

That was a lovely Desertfest, although not very desert-y really. Highlights were Cosmic Dead owning the Black Heart to close Saturday, Elder ruling all on the big stage, serious heavy attack throughout Sunday... a class weekend.

NEXT - Temples festival this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:43 am 

LAST - YOB/Black Cobra/Diesto last Saturday. Man, it had been a long time since I'd seen Black Cobra and they totally leveled the joint they played. They'll be back in a few weeks and my attendance is guaranteed!

NEXT - GOBLIN/Pinkish Black in Oakland on Sunday. If I get down there early and organized enough, I might hit the Noothgrush/Atriarch matinee in SF that's happening earlier that day as well!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 am 

TEMPLES

Yesterday - Spider Kitten kicked things off, missed the beginning of their set but it was exciting. Witchsorrow had a great sound but were a bit uninspired. Satan's Satyrs were fun but much more 'classic rock' and much less evil and heavy than the record I listened to. Moss were... pretty depressing and draining, but good! Went to see Anaal Nathrakh after a smoke break that also turned into a bit of 'phet break to spice things up - GRIND KILL DESTROY. Not enough bass in their sound though. Blood Ceremony were pretty good but verging on corny. Brutal Truth killed, and Electric Wizard played a blinder. My mate was unimpressed with Mark back on the kit - too sloppy, but I dig the laid back vibe and roll he gives to the band, adds that bit of charisma they've been lacking for a long while. They played a decent mix of stuff - Dopethrone, Funeralopolis, Drugula, Chosen Few, Return Trip (!)...

Today - probably missed the early part of the day, going to get there for Bossk, Conan, Unkind, A Storm Of Light, Vitamin X, Tombs, Wolfbrigade, Amen Ra, Doom, Neurosis. Going to be a heavy day, feeling a bit like I had some good speed yesterday :/

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:09 am 

Last: Spirit Caravan w/Lo-Pan, Electric Citizen, and Pilgrim

Next: Fu Manchu w/Lo-Pan and ?
Ulcerate w/InterArma and Locusta

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:31 pm 

^ Hopefully Inter Arma can make that date with Ulcerate, they've had to cancel some shows for this upcoming tour due to an unforeseen circumstance.

This week has been slow, no show since last Sunday, but a great one to look forward to tomorrow...

LAST- Truckfighters

NEXT- Graveyard

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:07 am 

Graveyard was excellent. My sixth time seeing them and band is as good as ever. Maybe 30% less people at the same club where I saw them last year, looks like interest has leveled off. Everybody at the show was into it, which is not always the case with shows in DC. Top of the line rock.

LAST- Suppression / Father Murphy / Sinister Haze

NEXT- Breakout / Institute / Mercy Killings followed by Yautja / Cult Leader & more as time permits

THEN- Swans

Last edited by H. H. Word on Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 am 

Last: Sigiriya/ Serpent Venom @ black Heart

Pretty disappointed with Sigiriya, I've really enjoyed them in the past live and am a big fan of the first record. However on Saturday the songs were a bit fast, lacking in their usual groove.

Serpent Venom were excellent. New songs are nice and heavy and the oldies (especially Devonshire) were excellent.

Next: Ten Ton Tabby + Stubb at the Black Heart on Friday

Very excited about this one. Jack says the new record is on the way so interested to hear new material

The Crimson Sky- I ride on high!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am 

last show: Austin Psych Fest ( Earthless, Morgan Delt, Dead Meadow, Acid Mothers Temple, Black Angels, Graveyard, Bombino, Loop, Panda Bear, Tobacco, Sleepy Sun, Kikagaku Moyo, Fantasmes, etc)

next show: Queens of the Stone Age

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:31 am 

LAST - Loop/Kinski. I never heard a stitch of Loop's music, but they were advertised as lords of space rock and playing in the best sounding room in the city, so I chose this over Floor and Agalloch, who were both headlining their own shows the same night. Loop were okay. I was surprised that almost all the songs were in the four-five minute range, not really what I'd define as "space rock" and pretty tepid compared to the mind-blowing Monster Magnet show I saw six months ago.

This show was actually over with by a little after 11 PM, so even after stopping by a couple of watering holes waiting for the bus, I managed to catch the last 30 minutes or so of Agalloch, who were totally bad-ass. I have always respected the band, but they lacked the "oomph" factor I look for in live music (see Loop), so it had been seven or eight years since I've seen them. Well, they've rectified that problem now, bringing in Aesop Dekker as their drummer and touring the globe as one of the highest profile metal bands in the biz. They were really good and I'll make sure to attend any/all of their local shows (we get shows quite a bit here) going forward.

NEXT - Mogwai/Majeure on Saturday. Being the ZOMBI fanboy I am, seeing Majeure is mandatory. I might skip out on Mogwai, who I'm kind of over and see a prog/doom showcase Nanotear put together in my hood later that night. I might stay for Mogwai too, but the last couple times have been lackluster after having the band completely blow my mind around 1999-2000. They kind of deserve another chance because of that show, but I'll (literally) play it by ear.

NEXT NEXT - BLACK COBRA/CUTTHROATS 9 on Sunday!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 am 

Quote:
This show was actually over with by a little after 11 PM...

Cripes. Don't feel so bad for missing it now. Agalloch/Yob show at Berbatti's years ago was fucking epic. Hope to see that bill again sometime soon.

Next: May jet downtown for Jex Thoth if (and that's a big if) the Lead UCRN lets us go way early around 11pm. Next to never happens, but on a Thr. night there's a slight chance.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am 

LAST NIGHT- two shows-

Pedestrian Deposit / Scant / two unnamed Boston duos (members La La Jacuzzi, LSDV, and Fume Hood in improvised arrangements)

Ulcerate / Inter Arma / Rotting Obscene / Necrobeast (first show of Necrobeast with ace drummer Greg 'Elway' Ernst from Bastard Sapling/Celebrity Murders)

TONIGHT-

Whitehorse / Pneumatic Slaughter / Sinister Haze / Daggering / Brown Piss

Followed by Maryland Deathfest, got tickets for stages with these acts, pending conflict resolution...

Seven Sisters of Sleep
Whitehorse
Sourvein
Torche
Coffins
Crowbar
Pneumatic Slaughter
Creative Waste
Kill the Client
ACxDC
Mesrine
Capitalist Casualties
Cripple Bastards
Final Conflict
Impaled
Castevet
Mgla
The Ruins of Beverast
Necros Christos
Solstafir
Taake
Cancer
Agalloch
At the Gates
Windhand
Bongripper
Graves at Sea
Misery Index
Pseudogod
Wrathprayer
Inquisition
Soilent Green
Gorguts
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Candlemass
My Dying Bride

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 pm 

Quote:
My Dying Bride

In a Festival is prolly the only way to see these UK Gods ov DOOOOM in the US. Very envious. Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:26 am 

Last show was a while ago (I think it was Esoteric, Procession, Isole & Serpent Omega).
Next is this friday. Me and my brother are going to a one-day festival in Stockholm called STHLM Fields. It's the first year they'r doing it. Gonna check out Danzig, Slayer and Mastodon mainly. But there's also Metallica, Cult Of Luna, Gojira and Spiders. Should be good fun!

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 34  Next