Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 pm 

Meat Puppets shows sounded killer $killit. Was meaning to tell you that I didn't get to see The Shrine as their tour was disrupted by the east coast storm last week. They had a NY show, followed by Richmond, then Brooklyn. Didn't make any sense for them to come all this way after everything was disrupted by the bad weather.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 pm 

Pentagram and Gentlemans Pistols last Friday. GP caused carnage at the front, and Pentagram were worth the wait, but can't help feeling they'll lose a lot when Vic leaves.

Walking Papers on Monday - Blues-y band, getting a bit of attention 'cos Duff from GNR is playing bass, but its centre is Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) and Jeff Angell. Played in front of about 100 people and was the first time they'd played longer than 45 mins - it didn't show: tight but loose. Barrett is one hell of a drummer. They stuck around after, chatted about the new Mad Season box set with BM and got a photo with Duff - it's nearly 20 years since my first ever gig seeing GNR.

Next gig: Angel Witch tomorrow, then Royal Southern Brotherhood (members of the Meters and the Allmans) on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 pm 

Saw Unida on friday and saw Astra, White Hills, Enslaved and Earthless yesterday. Earthless just blew my mind... I've seen them before but this set was pretty awesome.. wish they played longer but eh!
Finally getting close to the Voivod, Neurosis and Yob show next week! Super stoked about it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

Soundgardenia wrote:
Finally getting close to the Voivod, Neurosis and Yob show next week! Super stoked about it!

This. Fuck yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 pm 

Last: Atomic Bitchwax

Next: Looking Glass on Saturday then Eyehategod on the 22nd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 pm 

Last- Cult of Youth

Next- maybe Dysrhythmia tomorrow night or Fuxa on Wednesday. Torche on Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 pm 

Last: Converge, Torche, Kverta <----I forgot how to spell their name

Next: Cannibal Corpse, Misery Index, Hour of Penance, Vore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 pm 

Last - Two Man Advantage, Sick Thrills last night at D.I.Y. house party. They have a bar built in the basement. Still, the house has a lot of young kids & it was reasonable disgusting.

Next- I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm 

Bit of a slow November for me had to miss the Loss/Mitochondrion show because I was working graveyard shift. December is looking good though, Bison BC on the 1st, Moon Duo on the 7th, Sunn o)))/Black Breath on the 15th and then High on Fire w/ Goatwhore and Lo Pan on the 16th.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 am 

Crutch wrote:
Soundgardenia wrote:

This. Fuck yeah.

I would definitely go see that, but I'd Wish Neurosis played last, which would mean I could go to bed early.

Mine: Last Saturday: Thee Oops, Italian 80s style hardcore (Minor Threat cover on their first album, Small Man, Big Mouth). 2nd song into their gig I was like.... hey, I've seen this band earlier this year back home. Told the band and I was their No. 1 fan instantly.

Next: don't know if I go out this weekend (busy, busy, busy), but the week after Fever Machine (melodic stoner, Shanghai ex-pat band, 7" inch presentation) with local (French/Brazilian) expat band Devils at the Crossroad supporting. Probably Elton John the week the day after that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 am 

LAST - Worm Ouroboros, Disemballerina, Ephemeros on Sunday.

NEXT - Helms Alee, Kowloon Walled City, The Body, Hot Victory in about three weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm 

Last- Saw a pretty cool act from Portland, solo guy called Ghostwriter. Dude's a guitar slinger with killer raw bluesy punk style lyrics and delivery. Very compelling. Left before picking up one of his LP's, think I will send off for one, here's his label/page- http://www.endofthewest.com

Next- Windhand tonight with Belgrado from Spain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm 

last: Hark at the Black Heart couple of weeks ago. Hark were great fun, hard not to think of Taint when seeing them but these guys are going to be an excellent band in their own right. Glad to have JimBob back on the scene!

Next: Probably Neurosis at the Forum on the 2nd.

Distant: Stubb at the Black Heart week before Christmas

Exciting on the Horizon: Sungrazer/ The Machine/ Stubb . Small bar. Stoner tastic bill. Saturday night. What more could a man want????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:34 pm 

Last - Anthrax Belfast
Next - Art Of Burning Water tonight all being well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm 

Holy Mountain wrote:
Pentagram and Gentlemans Pistols last Friday. GP caused carnage at the front

Is it?
I'm pleased to see they're getting some international love but to be honest they always come across as a bit of a light-weight novelty act when I've seen them. Not that they're not fun, but never seen much carnage.

Last - Neville Staple (from the Specials) and band last weekend. Dude's doing alright for a nostalgia act but he's obviously getting on and spent most of the time between songs talking about how he had a stroke recently. He's aged about 10 years since I saw him at a festival last summer. Drank a few, skanked like a demon, went home happy.

Next - Godflesh and Neurosis, hoping to ingest a load of endemic psylocybe fungus early in the day, maybe commune with interdimensional machine elves briefly, then stumble along to be chastised for my presumptuous delvings. Ghosts may well be laid bare, in a room with no shadows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm 

Oh, hate to hear that about Neville Staple, I've been hoping for a proper Specials tour in the US since hearing a recording of one of their shows, it was fantastic. Best wishes to him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

Yeah, they toured the US not too long ago didn't they?
It was a bit of a shame, especially seeing the decline in such a short time.
The band is damn good and he's not too far gone to do the songs, but he's obviously past the peak. I'd say he should probably play out the dates he's got booked and relax, but I guess he may just Run It Into The Ground.
Up to him really, he's earned it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:31 am 

Last: Monster Magnet last Tuesday. Played Spine Of God from start to finish but took over an hour to do that. Then played a 30-minute-encore with songs from the two eps like Tractor, Lord 13 and Freakshop USA. It was nice but far from the dope-fuelled insanity they put on 20 years ago.

Next: Swans tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:20 pm 

dutch gus wrote:
Holy Mountain wrote:
Pentagram and Gentlemans Pistols last Friday. GP caused carnage at the front

Is it?
I'm pleased to see they're getting some international love but to be honest they always come across as a bit of a light-weight novelty act when I've seen them. Not that they're not fun, but never seen much carnage.

It was in Manchester, so not quite international! It was Friday night, so lots of beligerant drunks.

Last show: just got back from Monster Magnet: Great show - good to see Dave back to a decent fighting weight and able to throw the rock god poses. Spine of God was great, and nice rarities from Tab and the s/t EP - it was the 5th time seeing them, so didn't mind not having Space lord etc. My Sleeping Karma were excellent aswell..

Next show: Graveyard in a few weeks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 am 

Ha furry muff, I assumed you were American for some reason (beer).

I wish next show was the Sheffield doom/sludge warehouse thing this Saturday but I'm over-committed next weekend already and I just can't see it happening. Not to mention not sure if I can face a night being homeless in Sheffield (or trying to sleep in a warehouse) before heading down to London for NEUROSIS (and Godflesh).
My local Graveyard gig is that night too unfortunately, I miss them yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am 

Last show I saw was Sebadoh, who were pretty good despite numerous technical problems. Playing on their home turf, they talked and goofed around a lot, which was refreshing.

I may go see Dinosaur Jr this week, undecided at this point. One of my favorite bands, however, I've seen them a million times at this point.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm 

Last- Owl from Oakland last night- very cool young stoner rock band. Expect people will be talking about them more in the future.

Next- Neil Young and Crazy Horse this Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am 

Yesterday: Monster Magnet, My Sleeping Karma

Tomorrow: El Caco, Black Rainbows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am 

Last: Swans. Great except for the fact that it was a seated venue in a former factory. Talk about a buzz-killer and long walks to get a beer.

Next: Menomena. Like the albums, have no idea about the live-show. Might be hipster-ville and I am skipping Kadavr the next day so I might be a victiom of poor judgement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am 

Last would have been Godspeed You Black Emperor and the next would have been Monster Magnet tonight... if both show hadn't sold out a couple days before the gigs. I don't know what's changed here but a couple years ago neither one of these bands would have filled more than 3/4 of the venue. I guess it's probably a good thing and I just need to get used to organising tickets well in advance.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next