Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Dark Side of the Rainbow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) refers to the pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd music album The Dark Side of the Moon with the visual portion of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. This produces moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". Band members and others involved in the making of the album state that any relationship between the two works of art is merely a coincidence.

The fame of the Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz synchronicity has prompted some fans to search for correspondences using many other albums or films.

Perhaps the oldest variant involves neither Dark Side of the Moon nor The Wizard of Oz. Since the mid-1990s, some websites devoted to the Dark Side of the Rainbow have also made note of a claimed synchronicity between the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" fourth act in the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey and the lengthy Pink Floyd song "Echoes" from the 1971 album Meddle. Again the correspondences are primarily formal/structural and not grounded in the content of the lyrics. Both the track and the sequence are approximately 23 minutes. Director Stanley Kubrick asked Pink Floyd to score the film, and Roger Waters has said he regrets having turned down the offer.

Comedian Matt Herzau also claims that the Pixar film WALL-E syncs up with Pink Floyd's rock opera The Wall, which he has titled "Another Brick in the WALL-E", after the album's three-part song Another Brick in the Wall.

---------------------------------

So..... I do that a lot, like slap a dvd in, turn the sound down, and crank out my own stoner/metal soundtrack with my fav cd's synched up best i can.

Best ones I've done so far are Mad Max (1979) with Kyuss s/t (Welcome to Sky Valley)(1994), and I've also had some success with Murnau's B&W film Nosfertau (1922) synched with a few different Danzig albums.

Anyone else got movies they watch with stoner/ metal cd's slapped on for soundtracks?

Post subject: Re: Dark Side of the Rainbow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 am 

Pretty much anything works in the right frame of mind.

After Neurosis on Monday night we had a session of Yob with visuals from a 'Nature's Great Events' documentary about the salmon run.
I was tripping fairly heavy, but I swear those bears and eagles were synched up to the dooooom.

Post subject: Re: Dark Side of the Rainbow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am 

We did the Dark Side Of The Moon thing like ten years ago...I remember the only part that synched up perfectly was "Money", just as she opened the door of the house onto the Yellow Brick Road. At that point we were like "YES! It works!". But it doesn't really work that good.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]