Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: worst stoner album of all time
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:57 am 

nobody has ever had a rythm section like sleeps. i prefer jerusalem over dopesmoker and i prefer holy mountain over both. everyone here knows how i feel about constant droning and you have to get through layers and layers of droning on dopesmoker/jerusalem that you have to get through just to hear matt pikes amazing guitar work. to me EW has way more of a groove that makes you want to move than dopesomker/jerusalem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:11 am 

Everything that needs to be said about Electric Wizard has been said. I was just thinking the other day that Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone are both more consistent than Holy Mountain.

However, no Electric Wizard song tops "Dragonaut" or "Holy Mountain" (especially the latter).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:24 am 

yeah i agree. holy mountain is out of this world

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am 

Feels like a throwback thread now but yeah, I'm definitely in the Dopesmoker > Dopethrone camp.

Over the years, I have wound up listening to EW much more than Vitus. They were and remain a great band but, for me, never captured the same vibe and atmosphere that Electric Wizard was able to achieve.

I think Dopethrone is definitely not EW's finest moment and prefer almost anything else in their catalog.

Yay opinions!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:27 am 

wasnt trying to turn it into a Sleep V Electric Wizard version 9.5..he stated that Electric Wizard falls into the 'worst stoner of ALL TIME

To me, thats utter crap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 pm 

Spiritu.

Might not be the worse, but certainly one of the top two worse stoner albums.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:06 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
wasnt trying to turn it into a Sleep V Electric Wizard version 9.5..he stated that Electric Wizard falls into the 'worst stoner of ALL TIME

To me, thats utter crap

No, I hear you and wasn't implying that you were.

And yes, that's mother utter crap.

For me, I think the sound that EW captures sets a much more ominous vibe than say the last High on Fire release, but again, it's apples & oranges. No point getting into a debate about "who's a better_____" when it simply comes down to your own personal preferences.

I really dig the vibe of Black Masses. I know it has its detractors and howling complaints regarding production but I love it. I don't see it as a benchmark or anything, just another solid, good album from EW.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 pm 

I don't know about worst of all time, but I find EW to be one of the most overrated stoner/doom bands of all time and pretty bad for the most part. And I've tried many times over the years to "get" that band.

My first EW experience was Dopethrone in 2001, which came very highly recommended from SR.com and pretty much anyone I knew at the time who was into the genre. I listened to it with a significant amount of expectation but wasn't really impressed. Sounded bad to my ears as opposed to bland or generic. Sloppy probably fits and I think that half-dead cat comment is right on. Nevertheless I gave the album a few more spins thinking it might grow on me. Nope.

Over the next several years, EW kept coming up in conversation. I'd start talking to someone who was into doom and they'd say, "you must like Electric Wizard, right?" When I said no, they said "You just need to hear Dopethrone, you should really try that record." And they were always amazed when I said that was the album I had.

Several times over the years I went back to that album because of the way everyone talked about it. Thinking that maybe with some time and distance I would now be able to "get it." That's certainly happened before. Reverend Bizzare and The Gates of Slumber were amongst many bands I didn't really go for on first listen but eventually came around to. But still, nothing.

I eventually picked up Come my Fanatics, and thought it was OK but nothing that really stuck with me.

When Black Masses came out, I had no intention of buying it, but once again, everyone I knew said I just had to get that album. That I would love it even though I'd hated Dopethrone. So like a good soldier I picked up a copy, went to listen to it and sure enough. I hated it. Gave it a few more listens, but it's the same reaction I've always had to EW. Just a kind of naseus unpleasant feeling.

Worst band ever, probably not. Crappy band that everyone seems to love for no apparent reason. Definitely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:37 pm 

I was really disappointed by Core's Hustle album, loved the one before it. But a decade later I checked it out again and thought it was badass.

I've honestly never been able to make it through an E Wiz album. Shit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:

To me, thats utter crap

Yep, I can think of far worse bands that EW and the same goes for Monster Magnet and Fu Manchu. The first MM is classic and their next 3 are all pretty good. Fu Manchu's early albums would fall into the classic category too if they had a different singer. I have never liked Hill's Vox at all.

I am a huge EW fan myself but I know a lot of people who can't stand them. The same goes for Saint Vitus and Pentagram. The underground media kind of gives the impression that everybody loves these bands but it is not even close to the truth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:44 pm 

Doommantia wrote:
Yep, I can think of far worse bands that EW and the same goes for Monster Magnet and Fu Manchu. The first MM is classic and their next 3 are all pretty good. Fu Manchu's early albums would fall into the classic category too if they had a different singer. I have never liked Hill's Vox at all.

I am a huge EW fan myself but I know a lot of people who can't stand them. The same goes for Saint Vitus and Pentagram. The underground media kind of gives the impression that everybody loves these bands but it is not even close to the truth.

Yeah, Hill's vocals are pretty one-dimensional. Someone once compared him to Ace Frehley in that department.

In regards to underground media, I don't know about everyone else but I can't say that I'm a huge Vitus fan at all (especially with Wino) but the thing is, I don't want to badmouth them simply based on my personal preference and above all, what they were (are) to the world of stoner/doom, whatever.

Same goes for 80's Pentagram. Maybe it'll grab me one day but not yet. I have a ton of respect for both of those bands but I just don't dig 'em like other folks tend to. I can totally see the same thing happening with Electric Wizard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:55 pm 

Spiritu's music was good but, no offense Jadd Slicker, the vocals were unbelievably terrible. Therefore, it was a real dud in terms of a release, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 pm 

I have to admit that Hill's vocals for me as well, have been the thing that has probably stood in the way of me really putting Fu Manchu in the essential listening category. I dig alot of their stuff and I love the idea of what they're doing, but there's something in the delivery that isn't quite there.

That being said, I don't recall ever really being put off by any stoner type album....the worst I could say about alot of the worst of the genre is that it doesn't do much for me. I do, however, recall a time when the rawk movement dipped into the stoner movement quite a bit, and you'd get bands like The Datsuns and Bad Wizard......bands that dug the MC5 as much as Blue Cheer, and while it was cool for a period of time, it got a bit indistinguishable after awhile. I think that once some people rode the garage/ garage metal movement and didn't accomplish much (Those Peabodys), they moved towards the stoner movement (The Sword). The Sword were probably the tipping point of where I think that bands started entering the stoner genre, just because that was the next type of hard rock in the underground that people thought would sell....not The Sword, necessarily, but bands around that time frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 pm 

wow....a Those Peabodys mention

I always dug Hill's "singing," but after Romano and Glass left, that shit should have been called Fu Manchu Lives!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 pm 

Nah, man, Fu is cool. Even without Glass and Romano, the band has managed to keep its integrity. I think the fact that Brad Davis has stuck around so long has helped. It's kind of like Iommi and Butler in Sabbath. As long as those two guys were there, it was Sabbath. Same deal (for me) with the Fu.

You know, regarding Hill's vocals, it's funny, because I always associated his voice more with Nugent, but now that Ace Frehley has been mentioned in terms of him, I think that's dead on. But, I like Ace's vocals and I like Hill's, too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:21 am 

Spiritu.

I never heard any Spiritu albums, but when I saw them at one of SHOD's they really stood out as not being very good at all. Especially later in the night when the big boys started playing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 am 

Karl Hungus wrote:

To me, thats utter crap

They're highly overrated and equally disappointing. They've proven that they can write a great album like the S/T and Witchcult, but buried that with their other crap. That's why they fall into one of the worst in my book. I've never seen them live, so it is possible I would somewhat change my mind, since I believe they're very good and professional about that. But when it comes solely to albums...they're one of the worst. And the topic is worst stoner ALBUMS of all time, not worst stoner BANDS.

Most of you here know I'm speaking the truth, but are to proud to admit it because you probably spent alot of money on their CDs, deluxe vinyls, Tshirts, shows, because someone once said they're cool, and their albums are landmarks in the history of doom metal which they're clearly not, because there have been better bands and better albums before them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 am 

youve actually heard witchcult right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:49 am 

GodShifter wrote:
Nah, man, Fu is cool. Even without Glass and Romano, the band has managed to keep its integrity.

Totally, based on "Saturn III" and "Sensei Vs. Sensei" alone. Also, that Cars cover. One of the best stonerrockband covers ever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:38 pm 

Generous Maria - Command of the New Rock
what I heard from the ATP record with Kyle Thomas was pretty horrid...then again, I never understood their status as one of the sacred genre cows...nice guys and all, just kind of generic music.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:52 pm 

Imho the worst albums are the ones that's too generic sounding to make a lasting impression at all. I guess reinventing the wheel isn't that easy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 pm 

I managed to avoid any Sea of Green recordings because I managed to see them pretty early on, on what had to be their first (only?) US tour. That was the famed first PDX show for YOB, who kind of made anything else going on at that moment seem pretty pointless.

I remember actually getting angry the first time I heard the first Fireball Ministry album. And people cite that as their best record. It's mind-boggling they a band that clueless could have gotten any sort of record deal at that time. The early 00's stoner rock scene became extremely watered down. It's weird that most of the genre monoliths are still mostly albums that came out in the 90's, even in spite of the avalanche of releases that followed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 pm 

i though gallery of mites was pretty cool. scene killer on the other hand was a pile of steaming shit...

other than that i'd have to say hydrozeen, kyuss, anything w/ miss-kitty & solace a.d.

www.devildick.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:35 pm 

Hydrozeen!!!! Texas doom. Thank you for making me snort whiskey out of my nose at that exact moment.

Twitter
Bandcamp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:39 pm 

Every Reverend Bizarre album, especially Crush The Insects.
Every Bongripper album.
For that matter, any album by a band whose name is a weed reference.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next