Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: worst stoner album of all time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:45 pm 

doomborn wrote:
electric wizard - come my fanatics
electric wizard - dopethrone
electric wizard - let us prey
electric wizard - black masses

What? Ridiculous. But you're the guy that recommended the Pokemon theme song as a good track, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm 

Lurker Dave wrote:
I guess he thinks "Witchcult today" is ok though.

i know right

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 pm 

There's a recent album called "Stoner to the Boner" that has to qualify. I haven't heard a note of it, but I think it's a pretty good hunch.

If not, shame on me. But regardless, the phrase "stoner to the boner" is a keeper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm 

/ez wrote:
gatorsnot wrote:
I gotta say Artimus Pyledriver was always a fun time to encounter live.

a lot of SR bands that put out shitty albums were half way decent live. they still put out shitty albums. point in fact, Dozer are one of the best live bands I've seen from the genre, but none of their albums really do it for me.

Agreed, I think it's a problem with bands from other genres as well from say the late 80's/early 90's onwards to the present. Quality songwriting has become a dying art in music in general

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 pm 

"Big Bikes" and earthlings? are the shit

I was actually going to mention E-Wiz but knew better, haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:25 pm 

ColtonBurpo wrote:
Is there a solid Dozer live album or bootleg that does them justice?

The split with Unida is greatness - especially the Dozer part of it. They were still in their overly Kyuss copy days and that was OK. I think they got worse the longer they were around and the less they imitated Kyuss.

I'd have to throw Nebula "Atomic Ritual" in there, I just couldn't get into that record. Anything by Fireball Ministry also, another boring band.

I was reminded -- Mondo Generator "Cocaine Rodeo" may be the worst album of all time. I bought listened once and vowed to never listen again. And I haven't. Later Mondo releases though are much better, so NO somewhat redeemed himself.

Last edited by doomedfuzz on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm 

First Mondo Generator album bored me to tears. Most of Brant Bjork's stuff is pretty dull in my opinion. In either case, if it was anybody else, would that many people care? Impossible question, but you know what I mean.

I know I have a slew of stoner rock samplers with bands I never have a damn about, but the names aren't coming to me. Roachpowder. Sea Of Green was dorky, but they had a few good tracks, and that was early in my stoner rock education. I too received that Gallery Of Mites freebie, but I thought it was kind of cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 pm 

Off all the European stoner stuff that came out in the early 00's, (stuff like The Awesome Machine, Honcho, Pawnshop, Mannhai, etc), I found most of it pretty competent and enjoyable. I think, perhaps, the one band that kind of struck me as being pretty lame was Cowboys & Aliens. At least the one release I have is pretty bad (really stupid lyrics is one of the crimes that stands out the most on that one).

I think Corruption's Pussyworld has to be up there somewhere, too. Also, put me down for thinking Queen Elephantine was not good at all. Conversely, though, I thought Roachpowder was pretty damn good. Especially Viejo Diablo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:04 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
Yeah exactly. Hell, that show was Nebula, on a Monday. Experienced bookers (or hell, pretty much anyone who's in the heavy underground music scene) would know the chances for only ten heads paid through the door are pretty good. Learning lessons on how to book/run shows at a veteran bands' expense sucks..

Totally. A Sunday/ Monday/ Tuesday night is a tough draw, even for well known bands. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and i've seen alot more factors conspire against bands in the last decade that makes a Monday night draw even more difficult (smoking ban in alot of places; more stringent DUI regulations, etc). I'd learned my lesson at one gig that i'd played, we were opening up for a cool band that I really like, but the thing was that they hadn't toured in forever, and most of their gigs were likely a high risk for both them and the clubs/ promoters. They needed up front guarantees because they were at that level of respect, but not having released albums or toured for a few years was a gamble to see if people even knew that they were back on tour or even active, period. Just because I dug the band (and because we were on the bill too), i'd postered well, got the word out, etc. It was Friday night, and still it was a dismal draw, and this was also at a venue where they had another show playing in the room upstairs, likely cutting into the draw anyways. There were also a few other cool heavy shows that night and that weekend which likely cut into the draw that night, too.

The club owner ripped me a new one (somehow he had got me confused with the band's actual manager), even though i'd worked my ass off to help get awareness out about that show, but the guy somehow expected a show with no postering (he had no one doing it, otherwise) with a band that was a few years out of their hype and buzz, to somehow miraculously draw well. I've learned to never ever get in between helping a band and clueless club owner, because it felt like a guy trying to break up a fight that gets wailed in the process. But it does open your eyes as to how little work some of these guys do, and then blame the bands for shitty turnouts. Yeah dude, we put up a few hundred posters and 30 people showed up and that was the plan all along. The other band carted a trailer full of vintage Marshalls and HiWatts across the country and had to leave 'em in a shady parking lot with bums around (our venues are usually in poorer areas of town). That was their idea of fun, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:48 pm 

Dead Meadow- Old Growth

I just think it sucks compared to their other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 am 

Kings of Frog Island always was some panzy ass watered down generic shit to me.

That entire Stoner Rock High Times comp sucked something fierce in retrospect as well. Wizardrone is a terrible project. I agree with the Queen Elephantine remarks, and laughed at Kyussfreak's sharty cognitive skills. Dandelion is terrible jam rock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 am 

Different strokes huh? Gallery of Mites is one of my favorite albums of the genre. Just good time music. Catchy riffs.

As for the worst, I don't know. Plenty of watered down generic type of stoner bands around. Actually, most stoner bands today just bore me to tears.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 am 

ColtonBurpo wrote:
doomborn wrote:
electric wizard - come my fanatics
electric wizard - dopethrone
electric wizard - let us prey
electric wizard - black masses

And you call yourself "doomborn." Disgraceful.

well these may not be the worst ever but certainly are the overrated ever. dull, indistinguishable riffs, bad solos, terrible, off key, distorted and overly buried in the mix vocals, a mediocre rhythm section and utterly forgettable songwriting. just turning your fuzz pedal all the way and your amps to 10 doesn't make you a heavy or a good band. on the other hand their first album and witchcult today are great and we live is decent.

I call myself doomborn because I listen to bands like sleep, neurosis, yob, black sabbath, kyuss, esoteric, evoken, disembowelment, grief, eyehategod, asunder, graves at sea, burning witch, thorr's hammer, coffins, earth, asva, warning, solstice, saint vitus, shirnebuilder, om, skepticism, goatsnake, high on fire, ufomammut, acid king, trouble, blood farmers, ect... so just becouse I think most of electric wizard opus is highly overrated, boring and all these bands do the same or similar thing much better I can't have a username doomborn? If EW kept the sound, the grooviness, the melody and the psychedelia of their first album they would be one of the best bands ever...as they didn't most if it is crap, at least to my ears.

Oh and yeah, I sometimes do like to listen to easy, pop/rock and 80's glam rock and metal just for the fun of it. I'm not a grim, bitter and depressed person so this kind of music suits me from time to time. I listen to all kinds of music...music most of you guys are too narrow minded to except. Like I've opened a thread about Wardruna, a great norwegian dark, ambiental folk band and only one person had something to say...I bet others didn't even took a listen...well you're missing out on one hell of an album, and some great musicianship. Oh and about that Work of Art thread...pokemon song? wtf? karate kid song? this has nothing to do with j-pop people. jesus fucking christ...work of art is a band that's highly inspired by one of the best pop acts ever, Toto...and Toto did write a soundtrack for a cult SF film Dune. It's one of the best soundtracks ever. Some of Toto's songs are so rhythmically and melodically complex they're given as tests on some music universities. Yes, most of songs by these and bands alike are cheesy and shallow pop songs but if you took a better listen you'll hear some really cool licks and hooks that could also be applied in other music to make it sound even better. That's why I sometimes listen to pop, so I can learn something and apply it in the music I normally enjoy and play. Or you just bury yourself in dull, repetitive, muddy and rehashed riffs over and over again until it makes you stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 am 

too long, didn't read.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 am 

/ez wrote:
too long, didn't read.

Electric Wizard's riffs are overrated, indistinguishable and out of key.

I listen to a ton of other underground metal/doom so I can say, with confidence, that 75% of EW's catalog is crap to my ears.

I also enjoy other forms of music as it keeps my writing senses keen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 am 

/ez wrote:
too long, won't read.

to say that Electric Wizard is some of the 'worst' of the genre is just full retard. They are one of the old standbys to the stoner doom genre. Identified solely by their 'sloppy' riffs and downtuned vintage spacey sound. Stick to your guns though man, it's an opinion..your opinion means very little at this point, but it's an opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 am 

Karl Hungus wrote:
/ez wrote:
too long, won't read.

to say that Electric Wizard is some of the 'worst' of the genre is just full retard. They are one of the old standbys to the stoner doom genre. Identified solely by their 'sloppy' riffs and downtuned vintage spacey sound. Stick to your guns though man, it's an opinion..your opinion means very little at this point, but it's an opinion.

compared to other old standbys of the genre like sleep, kyuss, black sabbath, saint vitus, early cathedral, pentagram, the obsessed, trouble, etc...they're the worst and most overrated. like i said the first album is great and they should've kept it at that. decent, clear vocals, good riffing, good solos, a fair amount of psychedelia...instead they've replaced that blurry, boring, dumbed down riffs, terrible, terrible songwriting, one of the worst vocals ever, and a disgusting production. They've briefly came back with we live and witchcult today and then made the worst stoner doom album ever - black masses. and man, while mountains of mars is one of the best spacey stoner songs ever, EW never got back to that, insted they've just been trudging one boring riff after another for years. so yeah, they're CRAP and most of you here are just worshiping them because they made such a fame around themselves through media...you should all just play some Dopesmoker or Forest of Equilibrium and compare it to any EW album and you'll realize what I'm talking about.

AND GOD DAMN, ONCE FOR ALL, SLOPPY PLAYING CANNOT BE GOOD!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN PLAYING SLOW STUFF!!! Imagine that Dylan Carlson's playing was sloppy...Earth would sound like complete shit! Only, and only sometimes sloppy playing sounds good, and that's when someone who actually can play does it on purpose. King Buzzo sometimes does that and he's able to pull it of good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:47 am 

all due respect to Sleep, but Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone are both miles better than Dopesmoker.

this is a fact.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 am 

/ez wrote:
all due respect to Sleep, but Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone are both miles better than Dopesmoker.

this is a fact.

yeah? and what arguments do you have to support that fact?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 am 

Dopesmoker is good, sometimes if the moment/mood is right, it's pretty hard to beat..but if you're going to bring 'dumbed down riffs' into this, I think youre heading down the wrong road when you bring up Dopesmoker. the riffs can be described as pretty damned generic, no solos, etc..In fact the Pike haters tend to describe his guitar work as sloppy and blurred out

Come my Fanatics and Dopethrone are pretty much benchmarks of the genre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 am 

wait, Electric Wizard is hyped through the media now? I may have missed the memo on that one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 am 

doomborn wrote:
/ez wrote:

this is a fact.

yeah? and what arguments do you have to support that fact?

the democratic one. see, there is no objective better or worse when it comes to this, only subjective taste. and the fact that more people disagree with you than agree with you is enough to establish my opinion as bring more factual than yours is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 am 

Hermano's output sucked something awful, IMO...some of Garcia's worst lyrics mixed with snooze inducing music...and the "suck" was only exacerbated by the hype surrounding the band...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:22 am 

Karl Hungus wrote:
wait, Electric Wizard is hyped through the media now? I may have missed the memo on that one.

Terrorizer magazine #164...they could've just build a church of Electric Wizard. That article is such a fucking ego-inflating bullshit it makes me sick. cult leaders? yeah right...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am 

Karl Hungus wrote:
Dopesmoker is good, sometimes if the moment/mood is right, it's pretty hard to beat..but if you're going to bring 'dumbed down riffs' into this, I think youre heading down the wrong road when you bring up Dopesmoker. the riffs can be described as pretty damned generic, no solos, etc..In fact the Pike haters tend to describe his guitar work as sloppy and blurred out

Come my Fanatics and Dopethrone are pretty much benchmarks of the genre

still Pike's guitar work and tone is way better than Oborn's. And EW never had a rhythm section like Cisneros and Hakius. And Al's vocals on that record are something I've never heard before...brutal, haunting, epic, unearthly...just awesome. Oborn is shrieking like a half dead cat most of the time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next