Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 17   [ 404 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ralph Snart does 90's Hardcore and more Version 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:33 am 

Yeah I've got both Shot Forth Self Living and The Buried Life and there isn't much on them that sounds like "Time Baby" from The Crow s/t to my ears. As EGO said, it's more kind of shoegaze/noise rock but less emphasis on melody and structure and more towards kind of high trebly, distorted stuff. I bought those, like you, thinking I'd get some "Time Baby" like stuff going on and little was to be found.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:38 am 

I'd highly recommend for anyone that's into the space rock/melodic thing that Ken Andrews used to do to check out MonstrO's new one. There's some really good stuff on that one; kind of reminds of Cave In Antenna (which, let's be honest, sounds a lot like Failure).

I also heard a band recently called Codeseven who's album Dancing Echoes/Dead Sounds was pretty good and along the lines of space rock/post hardcore. They're not new (in fact I think they've broken up), but they're new to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 pm 

I was huge into Codeseven when they were around, especially "The Rescue"...oddly they were on The Music Cartel with Electric Wizard and Mammoth Volume etc. I saw them opening for Dredg in between that and "Dancing Echoes". They started off as more of a hardcore band with more than a little Deftones influence , got spacier and poppier later. Some of them went on to some kind of related space rock band that was real into the arty visual backdrops, "performance piece" type stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am 

if anyone ever had the inclination to find out what the Boston underground heavy scene was like in the 90's(hey day)....there was a record label pretty dedicated to it called Wonderdrug Records.

They put a few compilations, and the "Swallow Whole" double cd is especially interesting, including a really weird sludge speed metal band from Vermont called Non Compos Mentis

http://www.wonderdrugrecords.com/index2.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 am 

Dnice wrote:
in mid-west rock news.....the mighty Shiner is going to release "The Egg" on vinyl,
and apparently reunite for 4 shows, 1 in each city...New York, Chicago, Kansas City, and L.A.

awesome news.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm 

Randomly came across this Traindodge full live set from '02 'On a Lake of Dead Trees' era.

Sound quality is not great, but pretty cool to see an entire set from this period, including an even older tune 'Huron' as the closer

http://m.youtube.com/index?pdesktop_uri ... g8HA&bmb=1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am 

came across a nicely recorded live video for The Stella Link, a solid mid-west space outfit
out of KC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GIuRK3JVU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm 

What ever happened to the second album...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm 

Hope it sees the light of day at some point. Rumor is, the material is there. Positive news is...Stella Link has played a few gigs the last couple years, but the drummer, Chris Metcalf, spends most of his time in The Life And Times...who are playing tomorrow night at O'Briens. A KC band that will have now played Boston twice in 6 months. Unheard of.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 pm 

If I wasn't already going to two shows this weekend, I'd bite on that for sure. I need to keep better track of these bands' movements.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm 

I saw TLAT at O'Briens back in October '11, they were awesome although only because I was 4 feet away from Alan Epley & Co. cause any deeper back it sounded like a concrete wall of noise. The moron that handles the mix there needs to hand it over to someone that has a clue. Plus babies and old age prevent me from midweek shows anymore. I will raise the flag, if and when, Traindodge make it back this way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

I would appreciate the heads up. I usually don't get further than Worcester, but I'd make an exception

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 pm 

Came across kind of a cool, weird ... slightly noisy indie post rock band from Boston called Pile. Maybe some Chicago/Albini early 90s territory with droney/melodic vocals with some hooks. Not sure, but I even get a little bit of that dark cool Morphine vibe.

Listen for yourselves

http://pile.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 pm 

One more kind a growin on me. Again, if you like a little noise mixed with indie you might dig this. Band is called Buildings out of Minneapolis. Sort of remind me of the now defunct Prize Country from Portland, OR but noisier. Recent full length per the linky below.

http://buildingsband.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm 

Buildings is kind of a cross between Karp and the more abrasive side of Traindodge maybe. Which is to say pretty standard noise rock, but cool enough that I'd buy an album. Wonder if any of them did time in other bands I'd know

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 pm 

Snart, I think theses guys are kind of young. They are actually playing with Traindodge and Self-Evident next weekend in the twin cities.

That northern widwest scene has some good depth right now

Self-Evident, Zebulon Pike, Disguised as Birds, Story of The Sea, Droids Attack.
respect

Traindodge have another full length coming, seems like in '12.

Here's hoping they come back one more time. Sky Exempt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm 

FYI, Shiner '12 tour dates confirmed

08/11 New York, NY – Irving Plaza
08/18 Los Angeles, CA – Echoplex
08/24 Lawrence, KS – The Granada
08/25 Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 am 

That's the shortest "tour" since the first Sleep reunion. Where's the Boston love?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 pm 

seamus...yeah I hear ya, however they announced it would be 4 select cities a couple months ago, so my expectations were sort of already set. I certainly wish Boston was one of the chosen, as I have local plans around that time in August, otherwise I'd consider driving down to NYC for this.

in related odd timing guitar rock news....I've been diggin on the now defunct Dischord band Faraquet lately. fine D.C. math rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFh0y8Eg ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:36 am 

Who's taking part in that Shiner reunion? Dow? Malinowski? Gerkin?

Four dates is weak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am 

Jason, it looks like The Egg/Starless line-up....Malinowski, Epley, Gerken on drums, and Josh Newton on 2nd guitar. Probably wouldn't surprise me if they recruit Shawn Sherrill and Tim Dow in on the Lawrence, KS show.

Frankly, I'd never really expect a full tour from this. I was sort of only expecting like a KC one-off at first.

I know I'm probably one of only a few...but I'm actually not a huge fan of The Egg. I thought their sound became just a little too polished by that record. There's even hints of that on Starless to a degree, although I dig that album, was just listening to it yesterday.

I'd still be first in line if there was a Boston show scheduled.....but if it was Epley, Malinowski, and Tim Dow doing Lula Divinia, I'd consider getting on a plane.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 am 

Agreed about 'The Egg', I'm not a fan of it either (that much).

I'd definitely be more down with a 'Lula Divinia' reunion - played in its entirety thing. I'd probably drop some serious $ to see that as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:15 pm 

Awesome. I will be at the Chicago show for sure. Sweet Cobra is opening the show.
Haven't seen S.C. since Mat Arluck passed away.

There's a $20 and $35 ticket option. the pricier gets a copy of the egg (vinyl?)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 am 

Mr. Neutron....please follow up with a detailed show review. Would be greatly appreciated. Cool they are having Sweet Cobra open, abrasive noise metal...would have assumed some indie rock selection. Being in Chicago, it wouldn't have shocked me if it was The Life and Times, but kind of nice Allen doesn't try to push his presence too much.

The more I spin Shiner lately in my truck, the more I'm starting to scheme a plan to the NYC show in my head.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm 

Finally picked up a copy of "Tragic Boogie" the other day for five bucks out of the used bin. Still sealed, no less. Sounds even more Shiner to me than "Suburban Hymns" did. Nice use of expanded percussion elements.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 17   [ 404 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next